Usa v Ghana

Skiba

I'd fancy Ghana to beat USA and reach World Cup Semi.

If Larry had just have got his head down when he was with us, he may have been there.

If Larry had just have got his head down when he was with us, he may have been there.

If Ghana beat the USA they will be in the 1/4 finals not the semi's.

If Ghana beat the USA they will be in the 1/4 finals not the semi's.

Sorry that was what I meant :whistling:

They have a decent chance. The winners of Uruguay/S.Korea vs Ghana/USA in the quarters. tough call, but fancy Uruguay to get to the semi's here

Footballfirst

The winners of the Ghana v USA tie will play Uruguay or S Korea ...... I think, so not as daft as it seems

portobellojambo1

The match they are playing is not a quarter final, the winner go into the quarter finals.

I think it is a game the USA could win, in fact I'd fancy them to win it. I think they have been understated in the tournament so far, and I personally think they have done very well, and look like a very compact side. Ghana looked better tonight against Germany, but I still think the USA could end up being the dark horses of this tournament.

The match they are playing is not a quarter final, the winner go into the quarter finals.

I think it is a game the USA could win, in fact I'd fancy them to win it. I think they have been understated in the tournament so far, and I personally think they have done very well, and look like a very compact side. Ghana looked better tonight against Germany, but I still think the USA could end up being the dark horses of this tournament.

The USA have tightened up a lot at the back after a well shaky start. If Ghana's finishing doesn't improve, I fancy the USA as well as I'm pretty sure they'll score.

colinmaroon

I like the USA and Ghana but Ghana are murder in front of goal.

If Droghba was a Ghanaian they would be contenders!!!

They're good defensively and the wee man in midfield is a star.

I think they should give that young goal scorer a crack from the start., Gyn is a carthorse compared to his mates.

I'd say Ghana probably have more talent in their team but USA have shown they have considerable character and will to win which cannot be underestimated. They also have Dempsey and Donovan who can make a difference in games, while Ghana lack a killer instinct and haven't scored from open play yet. Should be an interesting game and it could be any of Uruguay, USA or Ghana in the semi-finals. South Korea aren't bad either but Uruguay will have too much for them IMO.

U.S.A. still have the best 'keeper in the tournament. You see his two throws over the half way line to start attacks today and the goal that started with him?

Dempsey and Donovan are good, although Donovan didn't do much else than score today, but Bradley runs the show and Altidore is playing how Rooney should be playing.

Anyway, today's goal lifted the roof off....with one downside....no one here can understand why there are no video replays on referees' calls. It's insanity. It even happens in baseball and basketball as well as the NFL now.

shaun.lawson

Four years ago, Ghana beat the USA 2-1 to advance from a very tough group including Italy and the Czech Republic. Trouble is, that Ghanaian side was better, and that American side far, far worse. This tie is almost 50-50, and I expect it to be level after 90 minutes: whereupon Ghana could be inspired as their continent's last remaining hope, or alternatively, bottle it. So far, their lack of conviction in front of goal has been horrendous - Muntari in particular was doing my head in last night - and Ghana are notorious chokers in the African Cup of Nations, which they've ludicrously never won.

Meanwhile, the American story at this World Cup has been powerful and compelling. Twice they've come from behind; yesterday they survived with seconds remaining. A team capable of doing that is incredibly dangerous, and can feel like destiny is protecting them. So I take them to get through, maybe after extra time, probably on penalties, where I think Ghana's nerve would fail them.

Uruguay should have enough to beat Korea - but I worry a little about the expectation they'll now feel to reach the last four, and even more if they come up against the US. South or Central American teams can be incredibly cocky when facing Uncle Sam: it's as though they think the US has no right even to be on the same pitch as them, let alone beat them. Thus their concentration goes, and their discipline with it. This has done for Mexico again and again in recent years, and it could do for Uruguay too - but as the latter are the only side in this quarter who wouldn't fear Brazil in a semi-final, and would give them all they could handle, I hope for the tournament's sake that La Celeste make it.

Brazil v Romania was the semi-final I wish the 1994 World Cup had seen (Sweden beat Romania on penalties, then were quite pathetic against the eventual Champions); Brazil v Uruguay in a World Cup semi-final this year would be terrific.

Dave Spacey

I've really found respect for the USA team in this tournament, the players seem to be really level headed which admittedly is not something that i expected. Two of the real standouts for me so far are Altidore and Onyewu (who has said to Milan that he will play for nothing next season as he spent most of the last season injured, you don't see much of that in football, i think a few players at this world cup have done that but can't remember who the others are). They aren't taking anything for granted and seem to have the right attitude towards it, just never seem to give in and work hard for each other.

But

I think it will be cracking game v Ghana, and whoever wins that one will fully deserve to go through. But as Shaun says Ghana do tend to bottle it. I don't see either team sitting back though, my prediction 4:3 to the USA Donovan scoring in the last 5 minutes after a late Ghana comback.

Agreed. I've really enjoyed watching the US, and they've been somewhat unlucky against Slovenia and Algeria.

Out of Ghana, USA, Uruguay and South Korea it's hard to say the US won't be the ones to make the semis. Uruguay are a big threat tho.

U.S.A. still have the best 'keeper in the tournament. You see his two throws over the half way line to start attacks today and the goal that started with him?

Dempsey and Donovan are good, although Donovan didn't do much else than score today, but Bradley runs the show and Altidore is playing how Rooney should be playing.

Anyway, today's goal lifted the roof off....with one downside....no one here can understand why there are no video replays on referees' calls. It's insanity. It even happens in baseball and basketball as well as the NFL now.

Video replays are for the NFL. Even MLB uses them sparingly, just ask that Tigers pitcher from a few weeks back.

The US media has reacted in typical fashion - enthusiastic but no clue how the game works. Bad decisions balance out, everyone knows that.

Also, if Donovan hadn't scored at the end it wouldn't have been the fault of the linesman that they didn't win. They had more than enough chances, and fluffed almost all of them.

Four years ago, Ghana beat the USA 2-1 to advance from a very tough group including Italy and the Czech Republic. Trouble is, that Ghanaian side was better, and that American side far, far worse. This tie is almost 50-50, and I expect it to be level after 90 minutes: whereupon Ghana could be inspired as their continent's last remaining hope, or alternatively, bottle it. So far, their lack of conviction in front of goal has been horrendous - Muntari in particular was doing my head in last night - and Ghana are notorious chokers in the African Cup of Nations, which they've ludicrously never won.

Ludicrous, indeed. Except they have one it twice. Twice after extra time, including once on penalties.

Quite the bottle merchants.

I predict that the score will be USA 1 - 2 GHANA with a second half winner from Asamoah Gyan from the penalty spot :whistling:

Archived