Wimbledon starts tomorrow...

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

... And nowadays, Wimbledon means a certain Hibs fan. Young Mr Murray has been struggling lately - but that can happen to many sportsmen, and I wouldn't write him off just yet. Especially as his draw is a borderline joke: he might start slowly, but it's almost impossible to see anyone troubling him until maybe Tsonga in the quarters. Then, it's a shoot-out with Rafa Nadal in the semis.

It strikes me, Murray could do with England staying in the World Cup for a while: because that'll keep the attention off him to some degree. He's able to come into the event as under the radar as a British world number four maybe ever will: and I expect him to pick up momentum and confidence. I'm going for Federer to win a seventh (and last?) title, but have no real confidence in tipping him: he's far, far more vulnerable than he once was, and even lost in Halle a couple of weeks ago, which is unheard of.

Federer to beat Roddick in one semi; Murray to outlast Nadal in the other; Federer to win the final in four, I reckon. And we can all dip in and out of the tournament until it reaches the business end.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sergio Garcia

Hewitt to get as far as the semis, where the Fed will probably beat him. Nadal will beat Murray comfortably in the semis. Nadal to win final in 5 sets!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Can't see Murray doing anything this year unless he's transformed his game (he hasn't, has he?). Really hope Roddick can do it this year.

Absolutely love Wimbledon but it always takes a back seat to the footy. Will watch some of it between the baron hours of 4:45pm to 7:30pm then return to the football!

Not too confident for Murrays chances but will be hoping he can get his game together for a good run.

Go on Andy lad.

The Old Tolbooth

Apparently Murray is ready to end Great Britain's 74n year wait for a male Wimbledon winner :rolleyes:

Murray would be better concentrating on beating the likes of Fish who walloped him at Queens before thinking of taking on the big boys of whom he has never beaten when it really mattered, I cant help but feel the choker will strike again.

I don't expect Murray to do anything this year, but agree with whoever mentioned Andy Roddick - would be good to see him win it.

Slightly off topic, but I'm going to be in London village a week on Monday. Apparently you can queue for tickets and to get into the grounds each morning - has anyone done this and can you say how early you have to join said queue?

I P Knightley

Apparently Murray is ready to end Great Britain's 74n year wait for a male Wimbledon winner rolleyes.gif

Murray would be better concentrating on beating the likes of Fish who walloped him at Queens before thinking of taking on the big boys of whom he has never beaten when it really mattered, I cant help but feel the choker will strike again.

Did they ever check the inside of Vargina Wade's shorts?

The Old Tolbooth

Did they ever check the inside of Vargina Wade's shorts?

They did, they charged her with drug trafficking as they found 30lbs of crack inside them! :ninja:

shaun.lawson

I don't expect Murray to do anything this year, but agree with whoever mentioned Andy Roddick - would be good to see him win it.

Slightly off topic, but I'm going to be in London village a week on Monday. Apparently you can queue for tickets and to get into the grounds each morning - has anyone done this and can you say how early you have to join said queue?

You can - and Monday week is the best day of the Championships, because there are good quality fourth round matches played on the outside courts as well as the show courts. But try and get in the queue used by those who travel in by car: that's a lot shorter, and if you're queueing by 4am, you should have no problem getting on Centre or Number 1. If you use the other queue - near Southfields tube - your chances of getting on a show court will be reduced.

AS long as he supports Hibs, he will never win a Big Cup.

Diddy cups is the best it's going to get for him.

Doctor FinnBarr

You can - and Monday week is the best day of the Championships, because there are good quality fourth round matches played on the outside courts as well as the show courts. But try and get in the queue used by those who travel in by car: that's a lot shorter, and if you're queueing by 4am, you should have no problem getting on Centre or Number 1. If you use the other queue - near Southfields tube - your chances of getting on a show court will be reduced.

Do you need to show car keys and pretend to have a car?

unsure.gif

Danny Wilde

Murray to go out in the first week if we extrapolate from his recent temperament and level of performance.

shaun.lawson

Murray to go out in the first week if we extrapolate from his recent temperament and level of performance.

But last year, it was "Murray to romp to the title if we extrapolate from his recent temperament and level of performance". And you should see some of threads hyping him up beyond belief from late 2008 too.

The truth, as ever with these things, usually lies somewhere in between.

shaun.lawson

Do you need to show car keys and pretend to have a car?

unsure.gif

Heh! And having just checked the website, my info looks like it's out of date (I haven't queued up for Wimbledon in ten years now). There's one queue, based in Wimbledon Park, it would appear.

Heh! And having just checked the website, my info looks like it's out of date (I haven't queued up for Wimbledon in ten years now). There's one queue, based in Wimbledon Park, it would appear.

Thanks Shaun.

I'll be at Hyde Park Calling watching Macca till late the night before - I think queueing at 4am is a non-starter for me, medical gimps like me need rest and breakfast. If I could joint the queue at 7:30/8:00am and even get onto Henman Hill that would do.

Danny Wilde

But last year, it was "Murray to romp to the title if we extrapolate from his recent temperament and level of performance". And you should see some of threads hyping him up beyond belief from late 2008 too.

The truth, as ever with these things, usually lies somewhere in between.

Probably so.

I''m sure he'll have a nice career as the top British player for the next few years. But I think his ongoing chances of winning a major are slowly and steadily diminishing.

shaun.lawson

Probably so.

I''m sure he'll have a nice career as the top British player for the next few years. But I think his ongoing chances of winning a major are slowly and steadily diminishing.

I don't think they've started diminishing yet TBH. I don't think they will unless he still hasn't won one by the end of Wimbledon 2011.

Danny Wilde

Just read that oor Muzza has refused to bow to the Queen when she makes her visit. Thoughts?

If its true, then I'm delighted.

No need for these servile deferential medieval gestures in the year 2010.

Guest Red Mist

If its true, then I'm delighted.

No need for these servile deferential medieval gestures in the year 2010.

Was on Five Live not that long ago, taking place on Thursday apparently.

Johanes de Silentio

Just read that oor Muzza has refused to bow to the Queen when she makes her visit. Thoughts?

Very pleasantly surprised, tbh - expect his popularity down South to plummet, though!

Thanks Shaun.

I'll be at Hyde Park Calling watching Macca till late the night before - I think queueing at 4am is a non-starter for me, medical gimps like me need rest and breakfast. .

If you're watching Macca...you'll have had at least 2 hours sleep in the park. thumbsup.gif

This guy is playing out of his skin against the Fed.

Would be the biggest upset ever I think, but no doubt Roger will dig it out from somewhere...

I P Knightley

Very pleasantly surprised, tbh - expect his popularity down South to plummet, though!

There's an article on the BBC site where he says he'd be delighted to win his first Slam event in his own country.

Final paragraph

The Old Tolbooth

Wow, Federer's mind is obviously on his countries match at 3pm as he's trying his best to catch it!

Two sets to love Falla!

Incredible stuff.

I know! Why is nobody else mentioning the game that's actually happening right now???

Gigolo-Aunt

Two sets to love Falla!

Incredible stuff.

Boy done well to hang in there.

Trainer on!

shaun.lawson

Can I revise my predictions now, please? :laugh:

Federer will probably still get out of this, especially with Falla injured. But if he goes out, or even if he doesn't given how wobbly he's looked, just watch the hype go into overdrive. And never mind Murray: I hope Roddick is watching this and being inspired. He's the guy I most want to win this tournament - and he has a huge chance if Federer doesn't get back to his usual self.

Gigolo-Aunt

Falla still playing well but doesn't seem to be moving freely.

:(

Matron back on.

carry-on-matron431x300.jpg

I P Knightley

Fed looks as though he was up to the wee small hours watching the golf on the telly. He's never remarkably expressive but that approach to the net leaving the court wide open for the pass was about as lazy as I can imagine a plyer looking.

OK. He's going to get through, possibly on a "Ret'd (hurt)", but his mammy better make sure he's tucked up in his bed by 9.30 tonight and tomorrow.

Grrr. I didn't honestly think the BBC website tennis pages could get any worse but they clearly could. I can't find anything I'm looking for. angry.gif

Think I might have to give up and go for the official Wimbledon website instead unless anyone has any other recommendations?

shaun.lawson

Grrr. I didn't honestly think the BBC website tennis pages could get any worse but they clearly could. I can't find anything I'm looking for. angry.gif

Think I might have to give up and go for the official Wimbledon website instead unless anyone has any other recommendations?

???????

I'm watching it streamed on the BBC website. Seems fine to me!

Falla just has to think to himself, 1 break, 1 hold and i'm there and put everything he has into this here.

I P Knightley

I've got the video feed just fine.

If you're relying on the text commentary, though, it's usually about 2 games behind and you're better going to the slamtracker on Wimbledon.org.

(Why they never chose wimbledon.net for their site puzzles me.)

EDIT: 3 break points!!!!

Regular John

Disappointin to see the crowd so pro-Federer, they should be gettin behind the underdog.

Disappointin to see the crowd so pro-Federer, they should be gettin behind the underdog.

Agreed.

Archived