Creating a hearts pub !

super_vlad

One of my mates is about to buy a bar in the city centre, he wants to create a proper hearts bar for the weekends.

What would you like to see in a hearts bar ?

things that he is planning already is a free buffet before the games and loads of hearts dvds on the big screen, any other ideas ?

Only a Game
One of my mates is about to buy a bar in the city centre, he wants to create a proper hearts bar for the weekends.

things that he is planning already is a free buffet before the games and loads of hearts dvds on the big screen, any other ideas ?

Can we ask what bar it is now ?

Only a Game

One idea, from a business angle. Dont do a free buffet, do a free pint when you pay for a buffet ticket. And dont do anything free at all if you've got a full pub and confidence in your product. Good idea but depends entirely on location. East of Lothian Road and I'd say its got virtually no chance of long term success.

if its a good it from the stadium it wont be much of a starter

also maybe free transfers to the game ie free buses

sounds like a great idea though

One idea, from a business angle. Dont do a free buffet, do a free pint when you pay for a buffet ticket. And dont do anything free at all if you've got a full pub and confidence in your product. Good idea but depends entirely on location. East of Lothian Road and I'd say its got virtually no chance of long term success.

The current place does not have a proper kitchen, so in the meanwhile he thinks he can do something on a small scale and then can't really charge for a buffet. The loaction is around the tollcross area, don't really want to say where just in charge the mods think its advertising the business, plus a still a month or so away. The place is currently run quite badly so he needs to try and get folk thru the door, and being a massive hearts fan he wants to create a nice place where people can enjoy themselves before the game !

Oh about the 107 thing, he is going to get one of those electronic photo frames which you can program. He has one in his house whichs counts the time since they have won the cup.

coppercrutch

I take it your mate is minted ?!

The Old Tolbooth

I hope he's got reinforced glass in the windows because that would definately be a target for the hobo cowards, erm I mean casuals, after we pump them in a derby match.

Nucky Thompson

The boy that has the Ibrox bar in Tenerife is selling up, 20,000 euros for a five year lease and 2000 euros a month. If I was a wee bit more minted I would buy that and turn it into a Hearts bar:)

Hibs and hearts pubs don't work unless their in the stadium area

All that will happen is it will be a target for trouble, especially on derby days and will inevitably lose its licence

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but its true, bars and pubs in edinburgh have no colours etc for good reason

I don't see any reason why your friend thinks he can change footballing mentality

sorry

All that will happen is it will be a target for trouble, especially on derby days and will inevitably lose its licence

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but its true, bars and pubs in edinburgh have no colours etc for good reason

I don't see any reason why your friend thinks he can change footballing mentality

sorry

Agreed. Also, by making it a Hearts pub he's drastically reducing his potential clientel. It sounds like a good starting place for folk going to Cav on a Sunday night, too, so that's the last thing he'd want. (reducing clientel I mean)

I'd advise your mate against it. I wouldn't go and I'm sure there'd be loads of others who are just perfectly settled in their usual pre-match boozers.

sorry

He reckons because of its small size it will avoid the attention of the nutters, to be honest mate, trouble will always start any where when the debry is on, look at places like the polwarth, i can remember serval times when there windows have being done in on derby day. Bars like the IB seems to too alright with very little trouble.

He reckons because of its small size it will avoid the attention of the nutters, to be honest mate, trouble will always start any where when the debry is on, look at places like the polwarth, i can remember serval times when there windows have being done in on derby day. Bars like the IB seems to too alright with very little trouble.

As neve said it will be a starting off point for Cav goers

the football crap in Cav is already pretty dominant and it will spread to his pub, regardless of size

Ill give your mate 10/10 for trying it but its a disaster waiting to happen

Has to be said I agree with the previous posters. Large or small, if its a club themed pub in that area, it will be a target for the bams that frequent around there. Its a great idea but he would be better if it was a bit closer to Tynie.

If he wants to make a real go of it, he should be targeting the high student population in the area and/or the "pink pound". After working in the trade for long enough, that is where the cash is to be made.

Agreed. Also, by making it a Hearts pub he's drastically reducing his potential clientel. It sounds like a good starting place for folk going to Cav on a Sunday night, too, so that's the last thing he'd want. (reducing clientel I mean)

I'd advise your mate against it. I wouldn't go and I'm sure there'd be loads of others who are just perfectly settled in their usual pre-match boozers.

quite interesting mate, one of the reason i did post this was to gauge a wee bit of reaction from football fans. I have told him to check out other bars before he commits to the idea. I thik he is thinking more of what he wants rather than what the clientel want.

Adi Dassler
As neve said it will be a starting off point for Cav goers

the football crap in Cav is already pretty dominant and it will spread to his pub, regardless of size

Ill give your mate 10/10 for trying it but its a disaster waiting to happen

What do you mean by that mate?

Sorry, i'm not a Cav goer.

What do you mean by that mate?

Sorry, i'm not a Cav goer.

I meant on sunday nights granted i've not been in a while but it always used to kick off outside on a semi regularl basis when the football sing song went too far :rolleyes:

I have not went for ages so it might have changed, but the fact it was popular with lots of players didn't help

A sunday night derby followed by Cav is legendary :107hobo:

Has to be said I agree with the previous posters. Large or small, if its a club themed pub in that area, it will be a target for the bams that frequent around there. Its a great idea but he would be better if it was a bit closer to Tynie.

If he wants to make a real go of it, he should be targeting the high student population in the area and/or the "pink pound". After working in the trade for long enough, that is where the cash is to be made.

This may soon daft, but his idea is too have a weekend bar for football, but to chance the place around for the nighttime clientle. One of my mates works in importing beers from europe into scotland, all the fancy german, belgium ones etc, he can let him have them on the cheap meaning that he will have a very wide range of beer and spirits for the up market crowd and students in the area.

Again that is his idea how it can work is out of grasp

Couldn't it be known as a Hearts pub without displaying it in-your-face-ily like the legendary Centre Spot did with its enormous photos?

As already mentioned, your mate should target the student market. It's in a great area as students live around the place (Bruntsfield, MArchmount etc.). If he can make drinks cheap, like Globe on Niddrie Street (?1 for a bottle of Carling or Carlsberg, ?2 a pint), he'll get a lot of folk in. I'd certainly go.

Jambojohnnyboy

Not so sure if it's such a good idea, I could understand it if it was a little closer to the ground but it's location (to me at least) would seem like a bad idea. A sports bar in general might be a better idea.

coppercrutch
This may soon daft, but his idea is too have a weekend bar for football, but to chance the place around for the nighttime clientle. One of my mates works in importing beers from europe into scotland, all the fancy german, belgium ones etc, he can let him have them on the cheap meaning that he will have a very wide range of beer and spirits for the up market crowd and students in the area.

Those two things don't go hand in hand. Up market don't want to be surrounded by students and vice versa. I take it your mate is buying the lease to this pub and not actually 'buying' it?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The last thing you want to do is attract 'Cav goers'

Better off with Hibs casuals than wacky, random, banterific students.

Not so sure if it's such a good idea, I could understand it if it was a little closer to the ground but it's location (to me at least) would seem like a bad idea. A sports bar in general might be a better idea.

I was just about to post this as another option.

Maybe have it 1/3rd Hearts, 1/3rd Hibs and 1/3rd Scotland, there would be little to no trouble except the usual what you normally get.

Maybe have some old (possibly new) framed shirts on the walls from Hearts, Hibs and Scotland, but mixed up so it doesn't seem there is 3 different sections and everyone is seperated.

I was just about to post this as another option.

Maybe have it 1/3rd Hearts, 1/3rd Hibs and 1/3rd Scotland, there would be little to no trouble except the usual what you normally get.

Maybe have some old (possibly new) framed shirts on the walls from Hearts, Hibs and Scotland, but mixed up so it doesn't seem there is 3 different sections and everyone is seperated.

Mate, i've seen the place, he will be lucky to get 3 chairs in the place forget about having 3 sections.:eek:

I remember a pub thru in dundee that has 2 sections for both sets of fans. Pretty good idea but whats to stop them kicking **** out of each other once outside.

davemclaren
Mate, i've seen the place, he will be lucky to get 3 chairs in the place forget about having 3 sections.:eek:

I remember a pub thru in dundee that has 2 sections for both sets of fans. Pretty good idea but whats to stop them kicking **** out of each other once outside.

As long as the Hearts image is on a big screen and thus removable I don't see the issue. Might work for immediately before and after games. Trying to think what pub it is as I work around there. :P

Pete Seeger

I think I'm in the minority but I'd drink in a hearts pub up town if there was such a thing. Not before a game but almost certainly after the big games it would be a good thing. I'm not up town often but i would frequent it where possible :107:

Those two things don't go hand in hand. Up market don't want to be surrounded by students and vice versa. I take it your mate is buying the lease to this pub and not actually 'buying' it?

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a response to the "buying" question before long. Perhaps you should pre-empt the inevitably wrong interpretation of the word by enlightening everyone as to your definition.

Legend Claws

Tell him to forget having any particular football theme and turn it into a place where all fans can go and watch all games. It is a really really bad idea to have a pub in the tollcross area (or any area not within metres of the grounds) that is purely Hearts/Hibs or any other team for that matter. Like so many people have said, aim for the student market (but not too trashy as you don't want to rule out the 9-5 crowd) and just generally make it an interesting place to go and have a few beers. Also on the food front I would tell him to be very careful as people often think food is easy money and it certainly is not in most occurances. Hope it all works out!

Sheriff Fatman

Is he buying the pub out right or is it a lease? Many of the leases tie you to their own beer and fine you if they catch you with anything else.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a response to the "buying" question before long. Perhaps you should pre-empt the inevitably wrong interpretation of the word by enlightening everyone as to your definition.

No, buying it lock, stock and barrel. He looked at just buying the lease but the pub group that currently own it want rid of the premises. So there is no problem about being tied to a brewery but then again it is a bit outlay in terms of cash.

In terms of having a general football/sport bar, i think this may be better for him, maybe as someone mention it could be a hearts bar only on game days.

No one has actually said what they would like to have inside one tho ? come on guys all ideas will be pass on.

If it's the Still, he'll have his work cut out. Worked there 3 years ago. If it's badly run now, the guy who has it now obviously didn't learn from the previous owners mistakes.

The one advantage he has is he's buying it. Better deals to be had from brewers as they'll all be fighting to have their product on sale.

I would definitely avoid a purely Hearts pub. A decent sports bar would be better. I would even suggest go further than just Hearts and Hibs memorabillia and go for as many as possible. Hearts, hibs, Scotland, other SPL teams (excluding OF, even if there's a Rangers top, a Celtic one would just get trashed by Gers fans and vice versa), european teams, rugby, golf. Go the full shilling.

I just hope he knows what he's doing. 70-80 hour weeks are common in the business for an income of ?25,000 a year. He could make a decent living but I hope he doesn't expect to make a fortune.

Too late to edit last post. I should've added this.

It's a good move to have Euro beers though. Belgian bad boys like Chimay (7% to 9% ABV) and German ones like Buffel, Weinstephaner and Warsteiner are good beers. The foreign and super premium beer market is one of the fastest growing. Thanks to people travelling a lot more, public awareness of some of these beers has risen dramatically.

I'd suggest having something similar to what we do, a beer from every continent (and other bits as well). Possibilties include:

Asia - Asahi (Japanese) and Tsingtao (China). Maybe even a King Cobra or Tiger as well.

Africa - Castle (S.Africa)

Australasia - For god sake avoid Fosters. Aussies will laugh at you. Coopers or James Boags would be my choice.

S. America - Brahma (Brasil). 5th biggest selling beer in the world if I'm not mistaken.

C.America - Corona, obviously.

N. America - You have your usual Bud pesh etc, but I'd also advise Sierra Nevada and from Canada, Sleemans.

Caribbean - Red Stripe (Jamaica) or Carib (T+T)

Europe - take a pick from any fantastic German and Belgian beers, plus Estrella (Catalonia), Peroni, San Miguel and the rest.

If he picks up memorobillia (nothing much, a pennant would do) from a local sports team near each brewery, this could tie in with the sports idea nicely.

Legend Claws

Ah the mighty Coopers! Do you have a bar in Edinburgh that you serve it in?!? And Boags too?!? I am in Oz at the mo and love them both!

It's a good move to have Euro beers though. Belgian bad boys like Chimay (7% to 9% ABV) and German ones like Buffel, Weinstephaner and Warsteiner are good beers. The foreign and super premium beer market is one of the fastest growing. Thanks to people travelling a lot more, public awareness of some of these beers has risen dramatically.

I'd suggest having something similar to what we do, a beer from every continent (and other bits as well). Possibilties include:

Asia - Asahi (Japanese) and Tsingtao (China). Maybe even a King Cobra or Tiger as well.

Australasia - For god sake avoid Fosters. Aussies will laugh at you. Coopers or James Boags would be my choice.

S. America - Brahma (Brasil). 5th biggest selling beer in the world if I'm not mistaken.

N. America - You have your usual Bud pesh etc, but I'd also advise Sierra Nevada and from Canada, Sleemans.

Europe - take a pick from any fantastic German and Belgian beers, plus Estrella (Catalonia), Peroni, San Miguel and the rest.

If he picks up memorobillia (nothing much, a pennant would do) from a local sports team near each brewery, this could tie in with the sports idea nicely.

deesidejambo

Re-open the Lemmy at the top of Leamington Terrace. I miss that place, even though I seem to remember is was gash. I think it was actually just someones front room, but I can't remember.

coppercrutch
No, buying it lock, stock and barrel. He looked at just buying the lease but the pub group that currently own it want rid of the premises. So there is no problem about being tied to a brewery but then again it is a bit outlay in terms of cash.

In terms of having a general football/sport bar, i think this may be better for him, maybe as someone mention it could be a hearts bar only on game days.

No one has actually said what they would like to have inside one tho ? come on guys all ideas will be pass on.

I didn't know people actually bought pubs these days !! So how does it work with a brewery ? Do they just buy kegs etc. and that is it ? Contracts ?

Say What Again
Maybe even a King Cobra

I couldn't drink many of them on a night out :mj_zivili:

I've started drinking that when we go to the Prince Balti. 1 or 2 is usually enough.

With 6 units in every bottle - they don't call it 'King' for nothing!

:pray::pray::pray:king-cobra-72dpi.jpg

I couldn't drink many of them on a night out :mj_zivili:

I've started drinking that when we go to the Prince Balti. 1 or 2 is usually enough.

With 6 units in every bottle - they don't call it 'King' for nothing!

:pray::pray::pray:king-cobra-72dpi.jpg

Awesome brew :D

grumpyjambo
Ah the mighty Coopers! Do you have a bar in Edinburgh that you serve it in?!? And Boags too?!? I am in Oz at the mo and love them both!

Tesco sells Coopers.

if he wants to make a profit it will have to appeal to allsorts and i think the general sports bar option would be best with various sports stuff up on the walls

My mate brought some of these beers for a carry out before boxing day, blew my mind, some of the ones that he will defo have is anchor steam and schnediner weiss, aventius, fruh kolsch, tusker etc these are some that i can remember but as you say the real profit is in this market.

It is not the still, i think he looked at that last year but it was a punch pub, and they just rob you blind!

CC, its just like buying any other business, you own all the equipment and premises, You still need to get a deal from a brewary for your ales, but the cost is a lot cheaper.

PeterCapital

I know the pub you mean. Its not great, its tiny and the company that own it now, have a much better pub 15mins away.

It's either the Still or Burlington Bertie's from the description given. I would argue that neither could be converted into a sports bar, they're too small.

PeterCapital
It's either the Still or Burlington Bertie's from the description given. I would argue that neither could be converted into a sports bar, they're too small.

Stage door...

coppercrutch
My mate brought some of these beers for a carry out before boxing day, blew my mind, some of the ones that he will defo have is anchor steam and schnediner weiss, aventius, fruh kolsch, tusker etc these are some that i can remember but as you say the real profit is in this market.

It is not the still, i think he looked at that last year but it was a punch pub, and they just rob you blind!

CC, its just like buying any other business, you own all the equipment and premises, You still need to get a deal from a brewary for your ales, but the cost is a lot cheaper.

Cheers for that. I Never realised that people still bought pubs outright these days. I suppose it depends how much cash your mate is putting up front for it. If he is buying it outright then he doesn't need to bring in a massive amount to live ok I imagine. Wee pubs can be allright as long as they feel cosy and intimate. How gay does that sound !! But you know what I mean ? Sometimes pubs just feel like a space people have cleared and sat down some chairs and tables. Other wee pubs actually feel right. I suppose it is a hard thing to get right.

Cheers for that. I Never realised that people still bought pubs outright these days. I suppose it depends how much cash your mate is putting up front for it. If he is buying it outright then he doesn't need to bring in a massive amount to live ok I imagine. Wee pubs can be allright as long as they feel cosy and intimate. How gay does that sound !! But you know what I mean ? Sometimes pubs just feel like a space people have cleared and sat down some chairs and tables. Other wee pubs actually feel right. I suppose it is a hard thing to get right.

TBH i was going to be partners with him at the start but when he decided to buy it outright i stepped away. Its a bit of a gamble but he has other businesses in which he gets a living so i think as long as he is going to make some return on it he will be fine. Also the premises could be converted into a decent size house so if it does go belly up at least he has this option.

In terms of a small pub feel, I think it depends on who drinks in them TBH. a l

Archived