Binge Drinking

Guest Pressleyno1

Guest Pressleyno1

Telegraph.co.uk

Measures to tackle binge drinking - including 24-hour licensing - have failed and must be urgently reviewed, according to an influential think tank.

Alcohol-related illnesses and accidents are reported to cost the NHS ?3bn a year and figures show that children as young as 11 are now drinking the equivalent of four pints of lager a week.

Why do you think the British love binge drinking? Can much be done to correct our bad habits? Who are the biggest culprits?

What would succeed in putting you off drinking alcohol? Is a price increase or tightening up on licensing hours the answer?

Has the problem grown worse in recent years and, if so, why?

The British public will dish out for drink regardless of price. I mean, how much they gonna put it up by? 30p? :eek:

Guest Pressleyno1
The British public will dish out for drink regardless of price. I mean, how much they gonna put it up by? 30p? :eek:

Aye, they put the price of Bread up, they put the price of milk up, they put the price of 'fags' up. People still buy them. Putting up prices won't stop anyone. If people need money, they will steal as they do to feed drug addictions.

WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO BOOZE BRITAIN ?!

Aye, they put the price of Bread up, they put the price of milk up, they put the price of 'fags' up. People still buy them. Putting up prices won't stop anyone. If people need money, they will steal as they do to feed drug addictions.

WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO BOOZE BRITAIN ?!

For me, there isn't an answer. You can only try and contain it. I'm 17 but I appreciate the problems of underage drinking. That's a major problem the government has yet to tackle. Putting more police on the streets will not stop it. We need to get rid of cheap ****e ciders sold in corner shops. Children of 14 and 15 are unlikely to be earning and it's unlikely that they will be able to buy higher quality drink consistently every week.

Maybe even a ban on drink in corner shops and only allow superstores to sell alcohol. Just an idea.

Binge drinking is good for you!

At the time:sad:

Every time someone does a poll about underage drinking, drug use or sex there is an outcry over how many are up to no good. When are they going to realise that teenagers lie abou these things, always have, always will. No 16 year old boy is going to admit to being a virgin, or not drinking.

The Old Tolbooth
For me, there isn't an answer. You can only try and contain it. I'm 17 but I appreciate the problems of underage drinking. That's a major problem the government has yet to tackle. Putting more police on the streets will not stop it. We need to get rid of cheap ****e ciders sold in corner shops. Children of 14 and 15 are unlikely to be earning and it's unlikely that they will be able to buy higher quality drink consistently every week.

Maybe even a ban on drink in corner shops and only allow superstores to sell alcohol. Just an idea.

Anyone who buys booze in a corner shop has obviously too much money! Much cheaper in supermarkets :D

Stewart MacD

Pressley #1, it's not "booze britain", it's the same here.

I speak as a lover of the bevvy, having committed many regretted acts over the years, and I'm seriously grumpy about the current animalisms.

There is a line between getting happily ****ed, thumbing yer nose at society, and shoiting on people.

I'm not sure what's going on, but "the yoof of today" may stuff it up for the rest of us by giving publicans the excuse to double the price of p?ss.

I jest not.

Anyone who buys booze in a corner shop has obviously too much money! Much cheaper in supermarkets :D

Haha yeah I know, but an underager's not gonna walk in a superstore and get sold. Yes, I know some smaller shops do ID people but not all. So just take away the problem all together.

RE Tazio's post, I agree. Maybe lowering the legal age is a good idea. You sit in a house party with 12 cans of tennents, you're going to be wrecked. You go up town, there's no chance you're going to consume the equivalent. Especially at 16/17. Fwiw I don't want it lowered. I've been waiting too long to be 18. :D

Guest Pressleyno1

I agree, there are plenty who go on a night out, drink a fair bit and have a good time. However, there is also the lot who go out every weekend, all weekend and just go out simply to get as drunk as they can. This is the problem. At weekends 70 per cent of all admissions toA&E are the result of boozing. Half of all violent crime - around 1.2m incidents a year - is attributed to binge drinking. Britain's binge drinking culture is costing the country ?20 billion a year. The annual cost to employers is estimated to be ?6.4 billion while the cost to the NHS is in the region of ?1.7bn. Billions more are spent clearing up alcohol-related crime and social problems

I see it as the most serious problem in society. It's a disease.

These people need to be educated, attitudes must change. You can't go out every weekend with the mindset that you have to get as drunk as you can. It's nuts.

Maye I sound like some kind of killjoy. I'm 22, I used to drink a fair bit in my teens, nearly every weekend. But these days I drink to have a good time, not to get as drunk as I can. Not every weekend. It's cringe worthy to watch people get like this. Why do people need to get smashed to have a good time ?!

End of the day, you're ****ing money away.

If the only sold drink in off licence's ( victoria wine etc) and pubs.It would cut out a lot of children drinking...I never done it to be me feel big or clever :P

I agree, there are plenty who go on a night out, drink a fair bit and have a good time. However, there is also the lot who go out every weekend, all weekend and just go out simply to get as drunk as they can. This is the problem. At weekends 70 per cent of all admissions toA&E are the result of boozing. Half of all violent crime - around 1.2m incidents a year - is attributed to binge drinking. Britain's binge drinking culture is costing the country ?20 billion a year. The annual cost to employers is estimated to be ?6.4 billion while the cost to the NHS is in the region of ?1.7bn. Billions more are spent clearing up alcohol-related crime and social problems

These people need to be educated, attitudes must change. You can't go out every weekend with the mindset that you have to get as drunk as you can. It's nuts.

Maye I sound like some kind of killjoy. I'm 22, I used to drink a fair bit in my teens, nearly every weekend. But these days I drink to have a good time, not to get as drunk as I can. Not every weekend. It's cringe worthy to watch people get like this. Why do people need to get smashed to have a good time ?!

Sorry mate, but it's not the booze that's causing the problem. It's the arseholes who drink it!

And putting up the prices is not the answer. We've already got some of the most expensive booze in Europe and yet some of the worst problems. Unfortunately, there's no easy answers and a complete culture change is the only way it'll ever get any better.

A bit more sunshine might help matters as well!

Stewart MacD

Can't people get happy peshed any more? "Attitude" seems to be the go.

I see it with the around-legal-agers here. Seem to mix it with funny smokes.

Then of course there are the hundred or so young Irish people who were getting well and truly bevvied (some carrying on from yesterday, methinks) in the pub today, happy, chatting, no abuse, etc.

No legislation against stupidity, but can someone stop guys from getting aggro with a drink in them?

A Nobel Peace Prize on offer for sure.

(Disclaimer: I had a few pints of Arthur's finest as well, despite the temptations of Bulmer's)

Guest Pressleyno1
Sorry mate, but it's not the booze that's causing the problem. It's the arseholes who drink it!

And putting up the prices is not the answer. We've already got some of the most expensive booze in Europe and yet some of the worst problems. Unfortunately, there's no easy answers and a complete culture change is the only way it'll ever get any better.

A bit more sunshine might help matters as well!

I think it's maybe the booze that makes people arseholes. But then again, you do get naturally born arseholes when mixed with being smashed turns them into super arseholes

Try thinking of alcohol for what it actually is.

A toxin that is consumed to produce a state of euphoria, in other words a poison that mucks around with the healthy balance of your body. In much the same way as drugs do. All other substances used in this way are banned or very strictly controlled in every society around the world. The alcohol controls in this country are too lax in terms of the damage that is caused by it every day of every year. A few years a go Buckfast was seen as a joke drink, something drunk by the most desperate jakeys. Now it is a fashion accessory to a large group of society.

Don't get me wrong as I do enjoy a drink but when the problems have got to be the size they are something needs done.

Guest Pressleyno1
Try thinking of alcohol for what it actually is.

A toxin that is consumed to produce a state of euphoria, in other words a poison that mucks around with the healthy balance of your body. In much the same way as drugs do. All other substances used in this way are banned or very strictly controlled in every society around the world. The alcohol controls in this country are too lax in terms of the damage that is caused by it every day of every year. A few years a go Buckfast was seen as a joke drink, something drunk by the most desperate jakeys. Now it is a fashion accessory to a large group of society.

Don't get me wrong as I do enjoy a drink but when the problems have got to be the size they are something needs done.

They are so lax because the government rely on the tax from the sales. The reason they think putting up taxes on drink, is because of the smoking ban. Less people are smoking now, therefore less tax, which leaves a gap. For example...

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/latestnews/Budget-fury-over-whisky-hike.3858787.jp

I think it's maybe the booze that makes people arseholes. But then again, you do get naturally born arseholes when mixed with being smashed turns them into super arseholes

No, the booze gives people an excuse to act like arseholes.

Exactly.

This is a load of baws. The government know that getting hammered is ingrained into Brittish life and all of the added taxes on carly special and baccardi breezers is not going to make the slightest bit of difference. Just another way for the government to raise taxes in my opinion.

And how much money do the government earn in taxes on the booze we buy? I'm willing to wager it's more than the "costs" the drinkers put upon the NHS.

The govt need smokers, drinkers and car users to function, regardless of what they might say.

i often wonder why we are so different here.

you go abroad, and there is a far more responsible attitude towards drinking, and it always seems to be the brits out getting wasted and causing bother.

there is a severe lack of respect for ourselves, and each other in society, and its been like that for a good while, so perhaps educating people about that, and stop being such a nanny state would improve things a little? i don't know

its just odd that countries where kids are brought up with wine at their meals from a young age like italy or wherever, yet here with a ban on drinking under 18, there is such a huge problem

Exactly.

This is a load of baws. The government know that getting hammered is ingrained into Brittish life and all of the added taxes on carly special and baccardi breezers is not going to make the slightest bit of difference. Just another way for the government to raise taxes in my opinion.

I'd agree that it would cut down underage drinking as the pocket money may not be suffice to fund a carry out in the local park.

CompleteIdiot

Tax ban tax ban tax ban.

What happens when there's nothing left to ban and everything has become too expensive to buy due to tax?

I'd agree that it would cut down underage drinking as the pocket money may not be suffice to fund a carry out in the local park.

What, 30p-50p on each can or bottle?

They buy only 5 cans instead of 6?

Not a great difference in my view.

Most buy cheap cider which in my opinion should be pulled from the shelves.

CompleteIdiot

That's something that annoys me. You probably only want four cans but you only get special offers if you buy 6, 8, 12 or 24.

Scotmid is bad for this. You can either pay ?1.30 for a single can or if you buy 8 the price is only 84p a can. Is that ethical?

CompleteIdiot

Cider is cheaper than beer because the tax is lower. British cider makers get a tax break from the chancellor.

you cant compare britain to southern mediterranian countries, northern europeans drink more heavily at weekends, because we work hard mon-fri unlike southern europeans, give us the southern weather siestas etc, and our culture would change accordingly

Tbh I would drink as much whether they had offers on or not.

I prefer cheap drink therefore

The problems are far more related to the general **** we have in society and we would be better having a cleanse of them

Tbh I would drink as much whether they had offers on or not.

I prefer cheap drink therefore

The problems are far more related to the general **** we have in society and we would be better having a cleanse of them

thats what wars were invented for

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I was absolutely hammered last night.

Can taste sick in my mouth but can't mind if I was sick or not.

Think I have issues!

I totally agree, nothing worse than walking past the local park and seeing 13-15 year olds falling over making total arses of themselves thinking "they are actually solid" just because they have like 3 litres of white lightening. Its horrible to see them all going fighting over silly drunking arguments and seeing young girls tarting thereselves up to sit in the local park get drunk and perhaps do stuff they cant remember and regret.

Its sad!

:sad:

Archived