How did double winning season pan out

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how Hibs' title-Scottish Cup double winning season got on? I never paid much attention in the closing weeks but I remember that they were top of the league for a while and that up until around December they were well in the race with a run of easy ties in the Scottish Cup against lower league opposition under their belt they had the best chance ever of doing the double.

I mean there is no way that this year would be the same as any other, they were flying and the possibility of them collapsing over Christmas was never going to happen this time.

I distinctly remember a post I read- after following a link on here- on Hibs.net where one Hibs fan started a thread titled...

"Is that Dundee UTD out of the race now"

Hibs must have been so far ahead by this point that it was just them and the Old Firm left and Dundee UTD must have slipped away.

After our disapointing season i never really kept too up to date with what was going on over there... Did they win the double then?

Tom Heaney

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how Hibs' title-Scottish Cup double winning season got on? I never paid much attention in the closing weeks but I remember that they were top of the league for a while and that up until around December they were well in the race with a run of easy ties in the Scottish Cup against lower league opposition under their belt they had the best chance ever of doing the double.

I mean there is no way that this year would be the same as any other, they were flying and the possibility of them collapsing over Christmas was never going to happen this time.

I distinctly remember a post I read- after following a link on here- on Hibs.net where one Hibs fan started a thread titled...

"Is that Dundee UTD out of the race now"

Hibs must have been so far ahead by this point that it was just them and the Old Firm left and Dundee UTD must have slipped away.

After our disapointing season i never really kept too up to date with what was going on over there... Did they win the double then?

Went the same way as Manures treble winning season ie......TITS UP :thumbsup:

Well Mothy you won't believe this, but it turns out Hibs 'fast flowing flair fitba' that the likes of Pat Nevin and Craig Paterson kept spewing about turned out to be 'turgid, one-dimensional hoofball' where their tactic appeared to be getting their keeper to bang it as long as possible. As such, every team in the league soon cottoned on and beat them all-ends up, resulting in them scraping 4th place and going out of the Cup to a 1st Division side. All the while, their manager's "Leith Patter" became more and more desperate as he talked more drivel and cliches every week as they kept on losing - "we were unlucky", "big physical team bullied us", "we are scared to win", "our pitch stops us playing football" etc etc etc.

During this period, hibs fans seemed to start taking a lot of interest in other team's accounts and the demolition of their old, ugly stand (to be replaced by a new, ugly stand). I don't really understand their logic tho as spreadsheets don't win you cups, and even with 3 stands they never sold out their ground. But as a Hearts fan, I obviously don't understand the fiscal realities of football as much as these hibs fans with their amateur accountancy degrees.

Even our dreadful season, one of our worst in living memory, still saw us remain unbeaten against the warrior-poets with 2 easy wins and 2 draws.

I do hope that helps!

Victor Meldrew

Facebook status update in January from Hobo friend:

"2 points off celtic after winning in the weedge! cmon the hibees!"

:whistling:

Archived