Robbie?

Sambo The Jambo

Sambo The Jambo

So, what do we think?

Will he dodge the bullet yet again, and slot in at right back tomorrow, or was last Saturday one mistake too many?

Personally, and I think my tone may have given it away already, I find it unthinkable that he could command a starting berth tomorrow. However for some reason I just can't see Stevie Frail making what has for some reason become such a big decision before a game this huge.

Opinions?

So, what do we think?

Will he dodge the bullet yet again, and slot in at right back tomorrow, or was last Saturday one mistake too many?

Personally, and I think my tone may have given it away already, I find it unthinkable that he could command a starting berth tomorrow. However for some reason I just can't see Stevie Frail making what has for some reason become such a big decision before a game this huge.

Opinions?

While I agree with you he is still the best Right Back we have IMO. I think this is an area we need to improve on a.s.a.p.

He should be dropped.

I don't care if it's those pesky docksiders or AC milan we're playing.

The boy is gash.

Whether Shaggy has the balls to do it I dunno.

Well I hope Robbie 'The Tackle' Neilson is playing cause if he's not we'll be in trouble!!!!

Not one other player at the Club right now I'd have at RB.

Its his testimonial season so I would be surprised if he isn’t picked for every game he is fit to play in as a kind of thanks from the mad one for his service to the club.

So, what do we think?

Opinions?

Whilst I agree he should be punted, who else do we have, presently at the club, that could replace him?

Broxburn_Jambo

Who would you play though? Tall is injured, Karipidis is needed at centreback because Zaliukas is suspended and you can't put a youngster into a derby when we're comingoff the back of such a poor run of form.

I have just accepted the fact that we will just have to put up with him for the rest of this season. However if he starts next it is an absolute disgrace.

Well I hope Robbie 'The Tackle' Neilson is playing cause if he's not we'll be in trouble!!!!

Not one other player at the Club right now I'd have at RB.

We need to bring in a player to provide more competition.

But Neilson should play tomorrow.:527:

Who would you play though? Tall is injured, Karipidis is needed at centreback because Zaliukas is suspended and you can't put a youngster into a derby when we're comingoff the back of such a poor run of form.

Gary Naysmith made his debut as a 17yr old the midweek after the 'Ibrox 4' and in the CIS 1/4 v Celtic. If he is not being replaced by a youngster it is either down to Frail's incompetence or because the youngsters are not very good.

Even with Tall out, I'd rather see McGowan CH and Karipidis right-back than Robbie Neilson playing. He has been the single most irritating thing at Hearts for the past decade.

Robbie is gash. Problem is Karapidis is awful at RB and i am really not convinced by Tall at RB either so we have no other options.

I have never understood why Robbie has been a first choice RB for so long considering he was only ever a backup under Levein and Burley's main priority for Jan 06 was to replace him as he saw him as a weak link.

While I agree with you he is still the best Right Back we have IMO. I think this is an area we need to improve on a.s.a.p.

i agree - he's the best we've got.

his attitude / work rate etc are spot on.

i think how he performs is also impacted by who is playing in front of him. when given some support in defence from the midfield, i've always thought robbie was good. if he doesn't get it he suffers.

flipside of this is that they (the media) talk about Hutton at Rankgers being worth millions then you listen to phone ins and fans are screaming blue murder (pardon the pun) at his performance - the guy is like Robbie, has some good games, has some bad. don't think there's much we can do when there is no one better than him at the club. hearts are unlikely to pay decent money to replace him with a better player either.

i mean - should be bring in another dancing boy like Jose - he's like a ballerina these days prancing about the pitch standing on his toes. nah - we're stuck with Robbie who for his shortcomings is the epitome of what has been missing from the club (no - not skill :P- i'm mean talking about attitude and fight).

Jason Thomson.

He has (apparently) been drafted into the squad, and if my eyes are not deceiving me, he is pictured on the Official Site training with the first team.

tommythejambo
We need to bring in a player to provide more competition.

But Neilson should play tomorrow.:527:

Not competiton...Replacement, Neilson hasn't been good enough to play for Hearts for a good few seasons now.

The only reason he ever looked passable was because the Pressley/Webster combo was the best we have had in a long time and they could compensate for him. now that the defence is a bit dodgy, he is well out of his depth.

Broxburn_Jambo
Gary Naysmith made his debut as a 17yr old the midweek after the 'Ibrox 4' and in the CIS 1/4 v Celtic. If he is not being replaced by a youngster it is either down to Frail's incompetence or because the youngsters are not very good.

Not sure you're correct there, Gary Naysmith made his debut in a 1-1 draw against Motherwell on the second last game of the season (4th May 1996).

tommythejambo
Not sure you're correct there, Gary Naysmith made his debut in a 1-1 draw against Motherwell on the second last game of the season (4th May 1996).

You shouldn't let facts get in the way of (What I belive to be) a very valid point!!!

1 Willie Gibson

I'd go with MagicT....pretty sure his debut was against Celtic in the League Cup game....after 4 got punted at Ibrox...best one being Nelly Pointon for kicking the post!!

I think even if it was his 3rd or 4th match the fact remains he was very inexperienced yet was given the opportunity and grabbed it. Would one of the young lads really do any worse than Neilson ? I doubt it and would probably keep the ball a hell of a lot better.

Wait a minute......................http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Naysmith

Not according to this "his professional debut was against Celtic in a league cup tie, aged 17" !!!!!

Not according to these he never....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Naysmith

http://www.4thegame.com/club/everton-fc/player-profile/473/garynaysmith.html

http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/past/Naysmith.asp

Don't worry folks, i have a feeling Robbie will be having a little accident which will stop him from playing tomorrow :rolleyes:

Any time I've seen Jonny Brown playing for the reserves he has been outstanding at right back - he's fast, can tackle and can cross a ball. I don't think he has a long throw though!! Despite that I'd have him in the team before Robbie.

From my reading of this forum over the past few months, I can exclusively reveal that some people like Robbie and some don't.

He has been the single most irritating thing at Hearts for the past decade.

But isn't that perhaps a tiny bit of an overstatement?

Sambo The Jambo

I think there are solutions to the injury situation though, and not just in the form of Jason Thomson. For instance, Jose could move to centre half, with Trigger at left back, and Kara moving to right back.

Also, we could move Kara to right back, with Eggert taking up his position at centre half. There are no doubt other youngsters who I'm unaware of who could step in as well.

While none of these situations are ideal, I really don't think this is a better the devil you know situation. I simply can't see us keeping a clean sheet with Neilson at the back. We have turned far too many wins into draws in big matches with lapses of confidence from our right back, and personally, with a team who is struggling for confidence, I really don't think we can afford it anymore.

Yes, we know what we will get from Neilson, but I've seen it for years now, and I'm not impressed. Even if it means an untested formula, I'd be far happier with that, than the same old formula which has failed us all season.

Broxburn_Jambo
I think even if it was his 3rd or 4th match the fact remains he was very inexperienced yet was given the opportunity and grabbed it. Would one of the young lads really do any worse than Neilson ? I doubt it and would probably keep the ball a hell of a lot better.

Wait a minute......................http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Naysmith

Not according to this "his professional debut was against Celtic in a league cup tie, aged 17" !!!!!

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, Celtic quarter final was 17 September 1996, he had already made his debut. Check the London Hearts website if you want confirmation.

From my reading of this forum over the past few months, I can exclusively reveal that some people like Robbie and some don't.

But isn't that perhaps a tiny bit of an overstatement?

Well, yes. But the huddies that have spoilt my enjoyment over the years have came and went. This guy is unmovable and has brought me more frustration than anybody else in the last ten years.

1 Willie Gibson

Going slightly off line here....with whoever has played RB, LB or the CB's. How many clean sheets have we had in the league this season?

Billy Bigtime
I think there are solutions to the injury situation though, and not just in the form of Jason Thomson. For instance, Jose could move to centre half, with Trigger at left back, and Kara moving to right back.

Also, we could move Kara to right back, with Eggert taking up his position at centre half. There are no doubt other youngsters who I'm unaware of who could step in as well.

While none of these situations are ideal, I really don't think this is a better the devil you know situation. I simply can't see us keeping a clean sheet with Neilson at the back. We have turned far too many wins into draws in big matches with lapses of confidence from our right back, and personally, with a team who is struggling for confidence, I really don't think we can afford it anymore.

Yes, we know what we will get from Neilson, but I've seen it for years now, and I'm not impressed. Even if it means an untested formula, I'd be far happier with that, than the same old formula which has failed us all season.

Clearly you know knackall about football and tend to follow the trend here of having a go at Robbie. He is not our main problem by a long shot and we need more with his attitude on the park. He may not be the best right back in the world but he is usually adequate. As to playing Karapidis at right back, (by the way nobody calls him Kara,)! That is just asking for trouble!

Away back to FM 2008 or however it is you young folks learn about football these days!

Clearly you know knackall about football and tend to follow the trend here of having a go at Robbie. He is not our main problem by a long shot and we need more with his attitude on the park. He may not be the best right back in the world but he is usually adequate. As to playing Karapidis at right back, (by the way nobody calls him Kara,)! That is just asking for trouble!

Away back to FM 2008 or however it is you young folks learn about football these days!

I'll be honest and admit i never read his post, But (and I could be wrong here) if he was suggesting ways to get Robbie out of the team and you are suggesting Robbie should keep his place, It could be argued it is indeed you who knows knackall about football.

:cheese:

Going slightly off line here....with whoever has played RB, LB or the CB's. How many clean sheets have we had in the league this season?

We have had 1 clean sheet this season in the league (Motherwell away) which would suggest we need at least 2 and very possibly 3 goals to win tomorrow.

1 Willie Gibson

Agree with that statement. Think the bigger picture is, we have across the back line average defenders who at times do the decent thing and then let themselves down with woeful amatuer defending.

For me this is where our new manager (when / if he arrives) has to look at first.

Clearly my opinion only !

We have had one clean sheet in the league this season (2-0 at Motherwell).

On Neilson, if we have a halfway capable right back anywhere on the club's books I would play them. Robbie was solid for many seasons but has been poor all season. We have to stop rewarding mediocrity and who knows we may unearth a star.

Commitment can only go so far. What he's trying to say is that Robbie is in fact sh*te, which is actually correct. It's not his fault he's sh*te, however it is still a massive problem having someone who basically can't do anything apart from throw the ball. His 2nd touch is a tackle, his passes either go out the park or put a team mate under pressure, and his positional play (another myth that his defending is alright) is actually woeful.

Billy Bigtime
I'll be honest and admit i never read his post, But (and I could be wrong here) if he was suggesting ways to get Robbie out of the team and you are suggesting Robbie should keep his place, It could be argued it is indeed you who knows knackall about football.

Yeah whatever!:blahblah:

We have had 1 clean sheet this season in the league (Motherwell away) which would suggest we need at least 2 and very possibly 3 goals to win tomorrow.

Many problems behind this

- individual errors from all our defenders

- lack of understandings due to rotation of goalkeepers and defenders

- lack of strength, effort, workrate, positional sense in midfield

- 2 wingers, 1 hole, 1 striker formations

- forwards unable to hold the ball up so it just keeps coming back at us

- lack of fitness of midfield players and strikers, particularly late on in games

- 'manager' unable to hold onto leads or draws due to prearranged subs etc and recently Frail's lack of managerial ability

1 Willie Gibson

Coco - basically what you are saying is what all my group that go to games is that we have been a shambles all season!

JennytheJambo
Whilst I agree he should be punted, who else do we have, presently at the club, that could replace him?

Karipidis at right back (couldn't be anyworse than RB) and Kancelskis if he is still around (is he?)

Guest Dipped Flake

I suppose this sums up the whole Robbie debate. There are Robbie haters who say anyone who likes him as a player knows nothing about football, and there are Robbie defenders who say those slating him constantly, know nothing about football. I have in the past got highly involved in Robbie debates and probably owe apologies to some posters as I can sometimes type before I think so not going to get back into it here apart from to say; football is a game of opinions. Just because you have a very strong opinion, either pro or anti, doesn't make you right (apart from in your own mind). If Robbie plays on Saturday he will have my full support, If any other guy plays in his place, he will also have my full support

- lack of fitness of midfield players and strikers, particularly late on in games

- 'manager' unable to hold onto leads or draws due to prearranged subs etc and recently Frail's lack of managerial ability

Not a lot wrong then :ahhhhhhh: I mean from Romanov's Q+A you would think it's a couple of aspirin we need not major surgery !!

Sambo The Jambo

Whereas playing Robbie at right back has been nothing but a joyous experience.

Clearly I know knackall about football, because the tactical and personnel changes you suggested would clearly alter our fortunes defensively. Oh wait, you didn't offer anything constructive, you simply chose to try and have a cheap dig at me.

Everybody knows we have a variety of problems at the moment, but they have to be solved one at a time. The priority at this moment in time as far as i'm concerned is to get the best 11 on the park that we possibly can, then improve from there. In my opinion, which obviously i'm not permitted to state on this site, is that Robbie is far from deserving of a place in that 11.

Oh, and I can call players whatever I like. Thanks for your input though.

All those are factors. The number of times we've lost a goal simply because a player is completely unmarked about six yards out is remarkable. I can think of about 10 off the top of my head. I don't think we are actually conceding many more chances than normal this season it's just that they are all clear, easy chances. This is why our goalkeepers don't make saves any more (apart from the fact they're no very good), they stand no chance with six yard sitters.

1 Willie Gibson

Good point DF....Whoever plays gets should get total support from us in the stands....lets send the docksiders back to the ports with their tails firmly between their legs!!!

Purely my opinion tho our new gaffer needs to look at the quality of our defenders at the club!

All those are factors. The number of times we've lost a goal simply because a player is completely unmarked about six yards out is remarkable. I can think of about 10 off the top of my head. I don't think we are actually conceding many more chances than normal this season it's just that they are all clear, easy chances. This is why our goalkeepers don't make saves any more (apart from the fact they're no very good), they stand no chance with six yard sitters.

The biggest factor is that quite simply many of our players are mediocre and mediocre players make lots of mistakes.

Archived