U19's Hearts V U19's St Mirren

Susie-Jambo-66

Gigolo-Aunt
GA - too many players need to play. Instead of playing players in their correct position, they shoehorn them elsewhere to make sure everyone gets a game.

Does not sound like the best thing for a players development, "shoehorning" players in to the side.

Kind of barmy when you consider the money VR has ploughed in to the youth development.

Ryan Gosling
Does not sound like the best thing for a players development, "shoehorning" players in to the side.

Kind of barmy when you consider the money VR has ploughed in to the youth development.

It's all the 5 year deals.

Charlie-Brown

Kostadinov was playing left midfield because Visconte was out injured and Glen was withdrawn from the squad on the advice of the physio due to the game being switched to the astroturf pitch.

McCusker and Robinson started the game up front and McCusker in particular was impressive today especially in the 2nd half when the whole team & game improved into a fairly decent match once the weather got better.

Kostadinov took a knock after a wee run he had and went off at half time but he showed little today and Wagner & Robinson showed more willingness to get in about the game when they were moved to the flanks / wide left.

Glen & McCusker appear to be our most developed strikers at this moment in time and the 2 more ready to progress to reserve / first team fringes.

Charlie-Brown

Ross Hamilton had a really good game today at centre back and marshalled the back line well......certainly with his tall athletic build & reasonable ability he'll definitely be able to play in the Scottish Leagues.....some reserve games or a loan period at an SFL club would be helpful to see how he fares against more senior players.

Ryan Gosling
Ross Hamilton had a really good game today at centre back and marshalled the back line well......certainly with his tall athletic build & reasonable ability he'll definitely be able to play in the Scottish Leagues.....some reserve games or a loan period at an SFL club would be helpful to see how he fares against more senior players.

McCusker and Hamilton aren't getting renewed deals, I believe.

Charlie-Brown
McCusker and Hamilton aren't getting renewed deals, I believe.

Well that's a shame for those kids if that's true however they are 2 of the more developed players in the U19's and closer to playing at a more senior level at this stage than many of the other kids in their squad - certainly they are 2 of the more physically developed players.

Footballfirst

Balatoni and McCusker were Hearts best players by a distance today. It's probably the best I've seen both of them play. The goal we conceded was a bit of a flap by the keeper palming it onto the bar before it dropped over the line. McCusker and McGowan took their goals well with good assists from Kelly and Balatoni.

Branny was dire playing left midfield today and his own teamates weren't slow to point it out either. At one point Hamilton shouted "Branny, you're fecking hiding today" and Mitcheslager also had a go at him a couple of times. He deserved it for not making himself available by coming short to pick up a short pass, or running into space for a longer pass. However, on the odd occasion he did get in box he did look as though he could make something happen.

I've seen a fair bit of him over the last year and he hasn't developed at all based on what he contributes to a game. His recent contributions suggest that if he is not playing up front with someone along side him, it's not worth playing him.

I think he missed his chance when he got the offer of going to Cowdenbeath earlier this season. At least he may have got the chance to play up front there to develop as a striker and prove wheter he could make it. I believe that he has just turned 19, so I would have say that the way things are going at the moment, I'd estimate that he has, at best, a 10% chance of making it with Hearts.

Charlie-Brown
Balatoni and McCusker were Hearts best players by a distance today. It's probably the best I've seen both of them play. The goal we conceded was a bit of a flap by the keeper palming it onto the bar before it dropped over the line. McCusker and McGowan took their goals well with good assists from Kelly and Balatoni.

Branny was dire playing left midfield today and his own teamates weren't slow to point it out either. At one point Hamilton shouted "Branny, you're fecking hiding today" and Mitcheslager also had a go at him a couple of times. He deserved it for not making himself available by coming short to pick up a short pass, or running into space for a longer pass. However, on the odd occasion he did get in box he did look as though he could make something happen.

I've seen a fair bit of him over the last year and he hasn't developed at all based on what he contributes to a game. His recent contributions suggest that if he is not playing up front with someone along side him, it's not worth playing him.

I think he missed his chance when he got the offer of going to Cowdenbeath earlier this season. At least he may have got the chance to play up front there to develop as a striker and prove wheter he could make it. I believe that he has just turned 19, so I would have say that the way things are going at the moment, I'd estimate that he has, at best, a 10% chance of making it with Hearts.

Your assessment of the game is fair & correct :) regards Kostadinov he didn't play well today however I think you prediction is perhaps a bit premature - Kostadinov's biggest problem is that he hasn't physically matured yet so he doesn't have enough of the necessary physical presence to make an impact playing up front yet in most games I've seen recently however once he fills out a bit and becomes stronger as a result you could definitely see a Scott McDonald type player emerging but this will only happen naturally over time - the same is true for several of our younger players who show decent ability but lack sufficient physical presence at this stage.

Footballfirst
Your assessment of the game is fair & correct :) regards Kostadinov he didn't play well today however I think you prediction is perhaps a bit premature - Kostadinov's biggest problem is that he hasn't physically matured yet so he doesn't have enough of the necessary physical presence to make an impact playing up front yet in most games I've seen recently however once he fills out a bit and becomes stronger as a result you could definitely see a Scott McDonald type player emerging but this will only happen naturally over time - the same is true for several of our younger players who show decent ability but lack sufficient physical presence at this stage.

The critical point will be at the end of this season when he will no longer be eligible for the U19s. Will Hearts keep him on a a reserve player until he finally "matures" ? I think a loan deal would be the best interests of all parties.

Don't get me wrong, I love him to be able to make the grade given the circumstances of how he came to be at Hearts, just as I'd like all the U19s, U17s etc to make it, if not at Hearts then elsewhere in the Scottish leagues.

Charlie-Brown
The critical point will be at the end of this season when he will no longer be eligible for the U19s. Will Hearts keep him on a a reserve player until he finally "matures" ? I think a loan deal would be the best interests of all parties.

Don't get me wrong, I love him to be able to make the grade given the circumstances of how he came to be at Hearts, just as I'd like all the U19s, U17s etc to make it, if not at Hearts then elsewhere in the Scottish leagues.

I first started going to see Hearts reserves & youth teams in the early 80's when guys like Paul Cherry, Jimmy Sandison, Scott Crabbe, Malcolm Murray etc played in the team and followed a lot of Hearts youth development over the years particularly the period mid-nineties when we had a fairly decent group of youngsters come through however what i would say is that the general standard both at Hearts & others seems to be higher now than it was in the past - perhaps it's the benefit of the Academy starting to be seen.

Hearts were always capable of producing some very decent players on a fairly regular basis and many who went to play for other SPL or SFL teams but in those days teams maybe had 3 or 4 decent prospects per team and the rest were perhaps jersey fillers destined for junior or amatuer ranks but I wouldn't say that is the case now - of the Hearts youngsters I've watched in recent times there are very few I would class as no-hopers. Iam not saying the will all make it at Hearts because of course they won't however most of them have fairly decent level of ability and most are capable of having a senior career be it at Hearts or SPL or SFL clubs. That in itself is progess.

Toxteth O'Grady
Balatoni and McCusker were Hearts best players by a dist today.

I agree with that

Jambo BG you really do your brother no favours.

Branny needs to do his own talking were it matters, and that is on the park.

Branny has underperformed given the reputation built up about him, in part by yourself

He has been overtaken by others and really is fighting for a place in the u19's never mind the first team

Your postings come across as arrogant and pretty argumentative and disrespectful of the club

I very much doubt the likes of John Murray would be over impressed to hear of your contribution to these forums and this could go badly against your brother

Everyone wants youth to suceed, but the issue here is your brother imo and it would appear a growing number of others is simply failing to deliver or give justification to continue to spending substantial sums to retain him when the likes of templeton, glen and even scott robinson are showing far more.

Jambo BG you really do your brother no favours.

Branny needs to do his own talking were it matters, and that is on the park.

Branny has underperformed given the reputation built up about him, in part by yourself

He has been overtaken by others and really is fighting for a place in the u19's never mind the first team

Your postings come across as arrogant and pretty argumentative and disrespectful of the club

I very much doubt the likes of John Murray would be over impressed to hear of your contribution to these forums and this could go badly against your brother

Everyone wants youth to suceed, but the issue here is your brother imo and it would appear a growing number of others is simply failing to deliver or give justification to continue to spending substantial sums to retain him when the likes of templeton, glen and even scott robinson are showing far more.

I'm free man with free opinions. Is very, very bad if John Murray working inder press of my opinions. I said facts. Branimir Kostadinov don't play, like striker in Hearts half year. Fact! This is. Maeby Mr. Murray know why? If you know what thinking Murray, you know more. I know too. Wiil be good at the mement we to stop, because....

:welldone:

I think McCusker and Hamilton are the exact type of players we try to develop at this level, strong and athletic.*

The likes of Branny, Copil, Wagner are squeezed out as they imo are players who like to try and take players on.*

Seems from watching a few u19's games this season that the natural skill in some players is getting 'coached' out off them and being replaced with a necessity to be strong athletic and tackle and run for the whole 90mins(what you would say is typical of scottish football imo).

Now if we could get a mixture of the 2types we would have a player on our hands....................step forward Mitcheslager (and from what i have seen, Templeton).:)

*I think there are room for both types of player in a team. Some of the best players in the world generally come from the second group i described.

Archived