U19s V Celtic

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The U19s went down by 2-0 to a young Celtic side this afternoon at Riccarton. The game epitomised the way the season has gone for the youngsters. In a number of games they have had the better of possession and chances but have failed to capitalise in front of goal.

Team

Hamilton

Mullen Hill Hamilton Deland

Thomson McGowan Prychynenko (Morton 45) Holt Smith

Walker

Hearts started brightly and could have been two up within the first five minutes. Firstly, Mikey Deland had time to chest the ball down and knock the ball past the keeper but it didn't have enough pace on it to score before a defender cleared it. Dave Smith then had an effort well saved by the keeper. Celtic then went ahead after 8 mins from a corner when the Celtic LB headed home with an unchallenged header. Hearts remained well in the game and continued to make the better chances. Mikey Deland again went close with a whipped free kick from close to the bye line and Danny Thomson saw his curling effort go just over the bar just before half time.

The second half resumed with Morton on in place of Prychynenko. Mullen moved up to Left M/F and McGowan dropped back to RB as Darren Murray sought to change things. The best chances of the half fell to Jamie Walker. He had one long range effort saved comfortably by the keeper, then he hit the post from close in after a mistake by the Celtic RB. With time running out Jamie latched onto a long ball from Colin Hamilton which allowed him a run at goal but he dragged his shot past both the keeper and the left hand post. Celtic immediately thereafter took advantage of a moment of slackness in the Hearts defence as a half blocked clearance from Jack Hamilton was seized upon by one of the Celtic subs who floated the ball neatly over Hamilton's head and into the goal from 25 yards.

I though the best for Hearts was Shaun Hill with also an improved performance from Jamie Walker (but, by god does he need a goal to boost his confidence).

"Wonderkid" Islam Feruz started for Celtic, but limped off with cramp with a couple of mins to go. Although he was neat and tidy on the ball, he was well managed in turn by Prychynenko, McGowan and Thomson and he neither created anything of note nor did he get into any threatening positions.

Footballfirst

FF, which of these players are eligible for the EoS match vs Hibs? Holt, Walker...?

Jack Hamilton, Fraser Mullen, Jason Holt, Jamie Walker and Dave Smith

Great report as usual. Can I ask what you thought of the Ref?

I thought that he generally did ok. He tended to let a bit of jersey pulling and some nudges go. I thought that his booking of Thomson was a little harsh and could have punished several others for similar fouls.

P.S I should also have corrected the OP in that Mullen moved to Right M/F instead of Left M/F in the 2nd half , but I was too late.

londonjambo

Great report as usual. Can I ask what you thought of the Ref?

I thought you/your brother/father/uncle/cousin had a decent game.

Am I right ?

whistling.gif

GC

The U19s went down by 2-0 to a young Celtic side this afternoon at Riccarton. The game epitomised the way the season has gone for the youngsters. In a number of games they have had the better of possession and chances but have failed to capitalise in front of goal.

Team

Hamilton

Mullen Hill Hamilton Deland

Thomson McGowan Prychynenko (Morton 45) Holt Smith

Walker

Hearts started brightly and could have been two up within the first five minutes. Firstly, Mikey Deland had time to chest the ball down and knock the ball past the keeper but it didn't have enough pace on it to score before a defender cleared it. Dave Smith then had an effort well saved by the keeper. Celtic then went ahead after 8 mins from a corner when the Celtic LB headed home with an unchallenged header. Hearts remained well in the game and continued to make the better chances. Mikey Deland again went close with a whipped free kick from close to the bye line and Danny Thomson saw his curling effort go just over the bar just before half time.

The second half resumed with Morton on in place of Prychynenko. Mullen moved up to Left M/F and McGowan dropped back to RB as Darren Murray sought to change things. The best chances of the half fell to Jamie Walker. He had one long range effort saved comfortably by the keeper, then he hit the post from close in after a mistake by the Celtic RB. With time running out Jamie latched onto a long ball from Colin Hamilton which allowed him a run at goal but he dragged his shot past both the keeper and the left hand post. Celtic immediately thereafter took advantage of a moment of slackness in the Hearts defence as a half blocked clearance from Jack Hamilton was seized upon by one of the Celtic subs who floated the ball neatly over Hamilton's head and into the goal from 25 yards.

I though the best for Hearts was Shaun Hill with also an improved performance from Jamie Walker (but, by god does he need a goal to boost his confidence).

"Wonderkid" Islam Feruz started for Celtic, but limped off with cramp with a couple of mins to go. Although he was neat and tidy on the ball, he was well managed in turn by Prychynenko, McGowan and Thomson and he neither created anything of note nor did he get into any threatening positions.

Thanks for all your reports throughout the season Footballfirst, its good to get a regular update on how the younger teams are doing. The bit I have highlighted is disappointing as it appears to be the case throughout the club, at both the senior youth levels and certainly at first team level. Its clear we need to bring in players from outwith the club for first team level as there is no immediate answer from within.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Thanks again for all your reports this season FF. One of the best things about JKB.

Tad harsh on that Feruz boy though ... he's only about 14! :D

Mikey Gardiner

Great report as always FF. A decent season apart from the last 3 results. Im going to go along and watch there games next season for sure. Great reports all season FF with great detail.

Footballfirst

Thanks for the plaudits guys. The reports are just my way of sharing my enthusiasm for watching the youngsters developing their skills in an environment that isn't too pressurised. The bonus is that they play with a style that is enjoyable to watch which is also part of the reason I stopped going to the 1st team's away games.

P.S. The U17s have still got another 5 weeks of their season to go, so I hope to get along to watch two or three of them.

Footballfirst

Thanks for all your reports throughout the season Footballfirst, its good to get a regular update on how the younger teams are doing. The bit I have highlighted is disappointing as it appears to be the case throughout the club, at both the senior youth levels and certainly at first team level. Its clear we need to bring in players from outwith the club for first team level as there is no immediate answer from within.

I see where you are coming from, but Hearts were the leading scorers at U19 level last season, when we had Gary Glen, Ryan Wallace and the league's top scorer Mark Cowan (now with Brechin) as well as a significant contribution from midfielders and defenders like Arvydas Novikovas, Stephen Husband and Craig Thomson. This season the U19s started with Craig Thomson, Scott Robinson and Gordon Smith (who was scoring regularly in the first few games), but lost them to the first team squad. The replacements have come from the U17s. These guys are very good players, but it does demonstrate the difficulty of making the step up between age groups.

However, it does augur well for the next two seasons though with 4 x U17s playing regularly at U19 this season. I'm looking forward to next season for that reason.

Tad harsh on that Feruz boy though ... he's only about 14! biggrin.gif

I wasn't being harsh or critical at all of Islam thumbsup.gif . I've seen him being effective at Scotland U17 level and even more effective at U16, but today was the first time I've seen him play at U19. All I would say was that he didn't look out of place, but he wasn't influential, which is not surprising given the age gap ....... see my comment above. He also seems to have filled out a bit since I last saw him so he is definitely still someone to watch in the context of Scotland youth teams.

I thought you/your brother/father/uncle/cousin had a decent game.

Am I right ?

whistling.gif

GC

Mate from work.

FF

I've watched a handful of U19 games this season involving a number of different teams, was at the Hearts - ST J BP youth cup tie, I have always left fearing for the future of Scottish Football, as the enetertainment velue is as high as watching their senior counterparts.

Archived