Zoltan Varga dies (NHC)

jambobas

Zoltan Varga collapsed and died age 65, while playing in a Seniors match on Friday evening.

Older supporters will remember him playing for Aberdeen in 1972/73. He played for Hertha Berlin, but was caught up in the Bundesliga bribery scandal and was banned for a year, so Aberdeen were able to sign him. He only stayed for a season, before Ajax signed him to replace Johan Cruyff!

He was a tremendously skillful attacking midfield player - great technical ability and created and scored a lot of goals for the Dons that year. I do seem to remember though that he was often fairly anonymous during away games, but usually rampant at Pittodrie. Even so, I wish we could sign a player like him at Tynecastle.

chester copperpot

Zoltan Varga collapsed and died age 65, while playing in a Seniors match on Friday evening.

Older supporters will remember him playing for Aberdeen in 1972/73. He played for Hertha Berlin, but was caught up in the Bundesliga bribery scandal and was banned for a year, so Aberdeen were able to sign him. He only stayed for a season, before Ajax signed him to replace Johan Cruyff!

He was a tremendously skillful attacking midfield player - great technical ability and created and scored a lot of goals for the Dons that year. I do seem to remember though that he was often fairly anonymous during away games, but usually rampant at Pittodrie. Even so, I wish we could sign a player like him at Tynecastle.

Ok. :thumb:

Even so, I wish we could sign a player like him at Tynecastle.

what? a dead yin?

RIP, puts everything in perspective etc etc.

Guy was indeed a class act & far too good for Scottish football at the time.

Considering he was only here keeping himself reasonably fit for the duration of his ban he must have been something else when committed to a club. The thing I remember most about him was that he was the first player I ever saw bending passes, corners or shots with either foot and with deadly accuracy. He was a player I never forget having seen and have talked about for years.

RIP Zoltan

Guy was indeed a class act & far too good for Scottish football at the time.

Considering he was only here keeping himself reasonably fit for the duration of his ban he must have been something else when committed to a club. The thing I remember most about him was that he was the first player I ever saw bending passes, corners or shots with either foot and with deadly accuracy. He was a player I never forget having seen and have talked about for years.

RIP Zoltan

Wasn't that Eammon Bannon?

Denny Crane

I remember once meeting Teddy Scott who had served as a coach under Turnbull, McLeod, McNeil, Ferguson etc. He rated Varga as the best player he ever saw play for Aberdeen - put him way ahead of Strachan, Harper et al.

Quote from Varga: "But for my family it was better that my career took me on to Holland, Germany, and then Belgium. There was not much to be earned playing for Aberdeen."

Some things never change. :rofl:

Archived