Well done the Hammers!

Rivlin

Just to make a change from the usual Plastics slavering; great to see the Hammers getting a draw today.

shaun.lawson

Sounded like a crazy game earlier. I still really fear for West Ham though, and God knows what'll happen to them if they go down. Of course, as everyone knows, West Ham are the biggest club in the known universe - because they won the World Cup once. :ninja:

Who are the Plastics?

You know really, eh? Just think plastic as in artificial, phoney, synthetic, etc. I'm sure you'll get there.

Ray Winstone

Just to make a change from the usual Plastics slavering; great to see the Hammers getting a draw today.

Have you been watching mean girls?

Guest Death.

You know really, eh? Just think plastic as in artificial, phoney, synthetic, etc. I'm sure you'll get there.

The Plastics from Mean Girls? Ok cool.

mean-girls-update.jpg

Konrad von Carstein

Sounded like a crazy game earlier. I still really fear for West Ham though, and God knows what'll happen to them if they go down. Of course, as everyone knows, West Ham are the biggest club in the known universe - because they won the World Cup once. :ninja:

???

I know i'm going to be embarrased by the answer, but lets call it a blonde moment,,,,bigger than hibs who taught the Brasilians??

Great result for West Ham they have got to stay up, apart from anything else Millwall could be in the Championship next season.

Howard Webb had a shocking game. Cole's penalty was just a joke, and the one he didn't give for Saha was a clear penalty.

And Everton couldn't get a freekick from him for love nor money when they were fouled.

So yes, West Ham might stay up if they get a piss poor referee who decides to shine on them. I think they will go down, Parker is out for the next two games and he's been keeping them in every match they've played of late.

Great result for West Ham they have got to stay up, apart from anything else Millwall could be in the Championship next season.

If anything, that's a reason for them to go down. What a fixture. :woot:

shaun.lawson

???

I know i'm going to be embarrased by the answer, but lets call it a blonde moment,,,,bigger than hibs who taught the Brasilians??

Oh, much bigger. Because West Ham - in the guise of Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst - won the World Cup, a whole generation of journalists grew up thinking they were a huge club: a club of importance. Therefore, West Ham (highest league finish ever: 3rd; major trophies won: four) struggling is always treated as a huge story; whereas if, say, Sunderland (six times Champions of England; eight major trophies; much bigger fanbase than West Ham) struggle, it's no story at all.

West Ham's continued problem with troublemaking supporters is also glossed over - because they're "cheeky chappy Cockneys" who support a club who "always play football the right way". But very much like Hibs, they obviously don't play great football very often, because their record is so mediocre.

Konrad von Carstein

Oh, much bigger. Because West Ham - in the guise of Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst - won the World Cup, a whole generation of journalists grew up thinking they were a huge club: a club of importance. Therefore, West Ham (highest league finish ever: 3rd; major trophies won: four) struggling is always treated as a huge story; whereas if, say, Sunderland (six times Champions of England; eight major trophies; much bigger fanbase than West Ham) struggle, it's no story at all.

West Ham's continued problem with troublemaking supporters is also glossed over - because they're "cheeky chappy Cockneys" who support a club who "always play football the right way". But very much like Hibs, they obviously don't play great football very often, because their record is so mediocre.

Okidoke...West Ham...the Hibs of Laahndan,,,,say no more... :thumbsup:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Upton Park is a wonderful place to watch football.

Fester Le Fleapit Road never has been and never will be.

West Ham have played an attractive style of football for as long as I can remember, Hibs never have.

I think your talking pish again Shaun.

shaun.lawson

Upton Park is a wonderful place to watch football.

Fester Le Fleapit Road never has been and never will be.

West Ham have played an attractive style of football for as long as I can remember, Hibs never have.

I think your talking pish again Shaun.

Was West Ham's style of play under Glenn Roeder attractive, or just ****? When they struggled desperately to get out of the Championship under Alan Pardew, was their style attractive, or just ****? Under Alan Curbishley, were they good to watch, or just completely average? And why, since I first got into football over 20 years ago, have they struggled so often, and yo-yoed between the divisions so often?

The Boleyn is a great place to watch football, I agree - and I have no real beef with West Ham at all. I just get tired of people thinking they're a big club - because they're really not.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Was West Ham's style of play under Glenn Roeder attractive, or just ****? When they struggled desperately to get out of the Championship under Alan Pardew, was their style attractive, or just ****? Under Alan Curbishley, were they good to watch, or just completely average? And why, since I first got into football over 20 years ago, have they struggled so often, and yo-yoed between the divisions so often?

The Boleyn is a great place to watch football, I agree - and I have no real beef with West Ham at all. I just get tired of people thinking they're a big club - because they're really not.

How much was West Ham sold for a few months back ?

shaun.lawson

How much was West Ham sold for a few months back ?

How much is almost any EPL club sold for, usually to lunatics who'll keep losing money hand over fist? Paper value doesn't seem to match reality at all in modern football.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

How much is almost any EPL club sold for, usually to lunatics who'll keep losing money hand over fist? Paper value doesn't seem to match reality at all in modern football.

Your synopsis doesn't hide the fact that the 2 new owners paid 50 million for 50% shares in the club, you can do the maths on the valuation.

If you don't think a club with that type of valuation is "big" then your in cloud cuckoo land.

The Plastics from Mean Girls? Ok cool.

mean-girls-update.jpg

>>>>>Pumped. >>>>Pumped. >>>>> Pumped. >>>>> Probably.

shaun.lawson

Your synopsis doesn't hide the fact that the 2 new owners paid 50 million for 50% shares in the club, you can do the maths on the valuation.

If you don't think a club with that type of valuation is "big" then your in cloud cuckoo land.

They're not big - depending on your definition of 'big', I suppose. I think England has ten great clubs (Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Tottenham, Villa, Everton, Man City, Leeds), and beyond that, Wolves, Sunderland, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday and maybe Derby are big clubs. West Ham are in the group below that: top of the medium sized clubs. Without exception, all medium sized clubs talk about themselves as 'big', or as 'sleeping giants'; yet almost none actually are big.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

They're not big - depending on your definition of 'big', I suppose. I think England has ten great clubs (Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Tottenham, Villa, Everton, Man City, Leeds), and beyond that, Wolves, Sunderland, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday and maybe Derby are big clubs. West Ham are in the group below that: top of the medium sized clubs. Without exception, all medium sized clubs talk about themselves as 'big', or as 'sleeping giants'; yet almost none actually are big.

Thats a schoolboy argument unless you give the criteria for being a "Big Club" and as there is no such thing and never will be then your argument is without foundation.

What a load of crap.

Creating your own definitions does nothing to strengthen you argument.

However, I will indulge you for a moment. Are you seriously suggesting that West Ham are not currently a "bigger" club than Sheffield Wednesday or Derby???

For what it's worth, I would define the "size" of a club by the attractiveness of the club to a player - all sorts of criteria involved: finances, current fan base, potential, history and current performance to name but a few. All this is of little relevance when the team steps on the pitch this week, though.

shaun.lawson

Creating your own definitions does nothing to strengthen you argument.

However, I will indulge you for a moment. Are you seriously suggesting that West Ham are not currently a "bigger" club than Sheffield Wednesday or Derby???

For what it's worth, I would define the "size" of a club by the attractiveness of the club to a player - all sorts of criteria involved: finances, current fan base, potential, history and current performance to name but a few. All this is of little relevance when the team steps on the pitch this week, though.

Wednesday, certainly; Derby, it's pretty close. Meanwhile, based on your definition, that'd make Wigan Athletic bigger than Leeds or Wednesday!

shaun.lawson

What a load of crap.

So to summarise:

1. Have West Ham not won only four major trophies in their history, and mounted only one challenge for the title ever?

2. Is their record not very mediocre?

3. Have they not struggled remarkably often over the last 20 years plus?

4. Are they not a universally liked, somewhat patronised club whose bad points are just glossed over?

5. How does their fanbase compare to, say, Sunderland?

Wednesday, certainly; Derby, it's pretty close. Meanwhile, based on your definition, that'd make Wigan Athletic bigger than Leeds or Wednesday!

I'm unsure how you arrive at that conclusion.

So to summarise:

1. Have West Ham not won only four major trophies in their history, and mounted only one challenge for the title ever?

2. Is their record not very mediocre?

3. Have they not struggled remarkably often over the last 20 years plus?

4. Are they not a universally liked, somewhat patronised club whose bad points are just glossed over?

5. How does their fanbase compare to, say, Sunderland?

To summarise, you are asking me five questions? Only one has direct relevance to the your post which I commented on - question 4. I don't agree at all with the suggestion that West Ham are "universally liked" or that their bad points (in particular, crowd problems) are glossed over.

shaun.lawson

To summarise, you are asking me five questions? Only one has direct relevance to the your post which I commented on - question 4. I don't agree at all with the suggestion that West Ham are "universally liked" or that their bad points (in particular, crowd problems) are glossed over.

You responded with "what a load of crap" to a post which covered all the points you've now deemed as irrelevant. If you're going to respond with that, you could at least justify it!

Some clubs have a rep for crowd problems which the media refer to: notably Millwall, Cardiff, Leeds, and sometimes Wolves or Birmingham. The media barely ever mention it in West Ham's case at all.

shaun.lawson

I'm unsure how you arrive at that conclusion.

Do you seriously think a club in the Championship or even League 1 would be more attractive to a player than one paying far bigger wages and playing year-in, year-out in one of the world's most glamorous leagues?

You responded with "what a load of crap" to a post which covered all the points you've now deemed as irrelevant. If you're going to respond with that, you could at least justify it!

I just have. I thought the other four questions were slightly off the main point that I understood you to be making...ie that West Ham struggling is a "huge story". I don't believe it is.

I'll expand, though. First up, do you really need an answer to question 1? I agree with question 2. For question 3, I am slightly puzzled as to your use of of word "remarkably". Indulging you for another moment, and accepting that Derby, for example, are a "bigger" club than West Ham, isn't the latter's record, in fact, "remarkably" impressive over the last twenty years?

I don't see question 5 as being particularly pertinent here, other than to perhaps further focus on a comparison between Sunderland and West Ham. If you are asking who is currently the bigger club, I would sadly have to agree it is the former, at present.

Some clubs have a rep for crowd problems which the media refer to: notably Millwall, Cardiff, Leeds, and sometimes Wolves or Birmingham. The media barely ever mention it in West Ham's case at all.

I don't agree.

Do you seriously think a club in the Championship or even League 1 would be more attractive to a player than one paying far bigger wages and playing year-in, year-out in one of the world's most glamorous leagues?

At present, players are unable to register to play for any of the three clubs. There is a very real possibility that all three clubs will be in the Championship next season, and I'd suggest that Wigan might well become a less attractive proposition than the other two clubs - relegation could quite easily lead to them back to the lower league obscurity of their past, and for that reason, I'd say their "potential" is very hard to gauge.

It's also very possible that Wigan may be two divisions higher than the other two clubs, and taking all things into consideration, I'd suggest they would be the most attractive, and thus the "biggest" club of the trio in question.

Third Lanark were once a "big" club, but nothing lasts for ever.

nah, noone's ever based a film on it either...

The Treasurer

So you don't like WHU, do you.

As you say they're not in the same category as Man U , Arsenal etc but they are a fairly big club with a very loyal fan base and are well known for producing very good young players through their academy (Ferdinand, Joe Cole etc being some of the most recent in a long line).

They are still very much in trouble but after yesterday's result and performance it certainly gives us some hope.

Losing Scotty Parker for 2 games is a massive blow but I think maybe 2 more wins should do it.

To borrow a well-know posters favourite phrase "Blue (and Claret) is the colour thumbsup.gif

Howard Webb had a shocking game. Cole's penalty was just a joke, and the one he didn't give for Saha was a clear penalty.

And Everton couldn't get a freekick from him for love nor money when they were fouled.

So yes, West Ham might stay up if they get a piss poor referee who decides to shine on them. I think they will go down, Parker is out for the next two games and he's been keeping them in every match they've played of late.

Thought they were both penalties meself. I also thought Webb was rank rotten but the reason the Irons got a point wa cos they worked hard and fought for each other. I'm still worried for them but encouraged by that display. As for Parker keeping us in every game we've palyed of late. We were on a six game losing streak FFS.

Size isn't evrything Shaun. :rolleyes: You obviously have West Ham issues but as a fan of 40 years I feel qualified to comment upon them.

Thay're not as big as Man U, Arse, Chelski or Spurs. Who are vastly superior when it comes to size of support and honours won but The sticky Buns and Celtic are bigger than us, should we support them?

The fans "prefer" a certain style of football, they don't always get it but unlike the Hobos we don't greet if we get beat having played it. Only when we're ****.

The troublemakers have always been attached to the club and in the 70's were frightening. Not so much nowadays. We have had more than our fair share of media attention (and awful films) in relation to them.

I think they are quite like Hearts TBH. A community based club that very occasionally wins a trophy but is overshadowed by bigger clubs, has a loyal support and has been to the depths of despair more than once.

Oh and we DID win the world cup. Its better than England winning it.

As you say they're not in the same category as Man U , Arsenal etc but they are a fairly big club with a very loyal fan base and are well known for producing very good young players through their academy (Ferdinand, Joe Cole etc being some of the most recent in a long line).

They are still very much in trouble but after yesterday's result and performance it certainly gives us some hope.

Losing Scotty Parker for 2 games is a massive blow but I think maybe 2 more wins should do it.

To borrow a well-know posters favourite phrase "Blue (and Claret) is the colour thumbsup.gif

Well said. Pay no attention to Lawson; a serial poster with nothing sensible to say about anything and many chips on the shoulder. Best ignored as he probably is in his life away from his beloved keyboard. Cheers!!

Size isn't evrything Shaun. :rolleyes: You obviously have West Ham issues but as a fan of 40 years I feel qualified to comment upon them.

Thay're not as big as Man U, Arse, Chelski or Spurs. Who are vastly superior when it comes to size of support and honours won but The sticky Buns and Celtic are bigger than us, should we support them?

The fans "prefer" a certain style of football, they don't always get it but unlike the Hobos we don't greet if we get beat having played it. Only when we're ****.

The troublemakers have always been attached to the club and in the 70's were frightening. Not so much nowadays. We have had more than our fair share of media attention (and awful films) in relation to them.

I think they are quite like Hearts TBH. A community based club that very occasionally wins a trophy but is overshadowed by bigger clubs, has a loyal support and has been to the depths of despair more than once.

You tell him!! If he is clueless as he is why does he keep proving it?

Can't stand bloody 'cockneys', Was on holidays in Spain one year, when the hotel was 'taken over' by a tribe of west ham families/supporters. Aged from 1 to about 90! Quite a few of the guests in the hotel started using other hotel's entertainment just to get away from them.'

Childish i know, but i always permit myself a little smile when 'the ammers' get gubbed! Hope the sods go down, just so i can imagine the ones i encountred in Spain's misery! :rolleyes:

Can't stand bloody 'cockneys', Was on holidays in Spain one year, when the hotel was 'taken over' by a tribe of west ham families/supporters. Aged from 1 to about 90! Quite a few of the guests in the hotel started using other hotel's entertainment just to get away from them.'

Childish i know, but i always permit myself a little smile when 'the ammers' get gubbed! Hope the sods go down, just so i can imagine the ones i encountred in Spain's misery! :rolleyes:

Yep pretty childish. You must be really wetting yourself with excitement when Man U. get humped seeing as there are many more cockneys supporting them.

shaun.lawson

Well said. Pay no attention to Lawson; a serial poster with nothing sensible to say about anything and many chips on the shoulder. Best ignored as he probably is in his life away from his beloved keyboard. Cheers!!

You tell him!! If he is clueless as he is why does he keep proving it?

Hilarious responses, especially from Rivlin. Who said anything about not liking West Ham? I'd much prefer you to stay up than Hull, felt very sorry for you after you lost a Cup Final penalty shoot-out the same day Hearts won one, and know from my mate Charlie what supporting your club is like. Ups, downs, passion, despair.

All I did was point out that your record isn't really all that good; you're not that big a club; and that your club's profile considerably exceeds its achievements. Tellingly, none of the above responses have contradicted that view at all. "Thou shalt not say anything about my English team, even if it's true". For the record, I actually agree with Jamhammer: West Ham are considerably like Hearts. Similar colours, based in the capital, a history of reasonable but not excessive achievement, known in more modern times for bringing through young players, bit of a history of heartbreak, passionate fans, and both Tynecastle and the Boleyn are special places, especially on a wet midweek night when something intangible between the supporters and the players seems to gel, and the atmosphere can be amazing. Only sometimes though. Both clubs have an infuriating habit of shooting themselves in the foot just when they seem set for big things and not being able to put consistent periods together too.

And Hearts, of course, aren't that big a club either. Both clubs are big enough to have a reasonable level of expectation and pressure; not so big that the fans get too carried away or expect too much. :)

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Hilarious responses, especially from Rivlin. Who said anything about not liking West Ham? I'd much prefer you to stay up than Hull, felt very sorry for you after you lost a Cup Final penalty shoot-out the same day Hearts won one, and know from my mate Charlie what supporting your club is like. Ups, downs, passion, despair.

All I did was point out that your record isn't really all that good; you're not that big a club; and that your club's profile considerably exceeds its achievements. Tellingly, none of the above responses have contradicted that view at all. "Thou shalt not say anything about my English team, even if it's true". For the record, I actually agree with Jamhammer: West Ham are considerably like Hearts. Similar colours, based in the capital, a history of reasonable but not excessive achievement, known in more modern times for bringing through young players, bit of a history of heartbreak, passionate fans, and both Tynecastle and the Boleyn are special places, especially on a wet midweek night when something intangible between the supporters and the players seems to gel, and the atmosphere can be amazing. Only sometimes though. Both clubs have an infuriating habit of shooting themselves in the foot just when they seem set for big things and not being able to put consistent periods together too.

And Hearts, of course, aren't that big a club either. Both clubs are big enough to have a reasonable level of expectation and pressure; not so big that the fans get too carried away or expect too much. :)

Note to Shaun

Must try harder !!

:lol:

shaun.lawson

Note to Shaun

Must try harder !!

:lol:

I made one comparison to Hibs. I made many comparisons to Hearts. Not my fault people went off on one and assumed I felt negatively about them! :)

shaun.lawson

Shaun old bean, this could be one of those threads that explode for you!

:whistling:

It'll be fine. I'm off out in a minute anyway. :D

The Treasurer

All I did was point out that your record isn't really all that good; you're not that big a club; and that your club's profile considerably exceeds its achievements.

That sentence kind of contradicts itself.

The fact that they are high profile without having achieved that much in terms of trophies would tend to say that they are bigger than you give them credit for.

I'd say they were a bit more like say, Newcastle or Man City in that they'd had limited success for years but still have a large and loyal support and attract a high level of media interest.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I made one comparison to Hibs. I made many comparisons to Hearts. Not my fault people went off on one and assumed I felt negatively about them! :)

People went off on one because your talking pish.

The similarity between West Ham and Hearts is they have the same shirt maker.

Jam Tarts 1874

From listening to a couple of West Ham fans on 606 yesterday I think Shaun has correctly assessed how West Ham see themselves.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

From listening to a couple of West Ham fans on 606 yesterday I think Shaun has correctly assessed how West Ham see themselves.

Thats probably because it was Shaun on 606 yesterday :D

Don't forget the yoof academy, a production line that would put Ford to shame.

Archived