Spartans to buy Cowdenbeath?

Jamboross

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Cowdenbeath-fans-fear-Spartans-takeover.6189421.jp

What do folk make of this?

As much as I think it'd be sad to see Cowdenbeath go, I think it'd be brilliant for Spartans to get into the league set up. With the facilities that they have I reckon they'd do fairly well and would probably get significantly better attendances than Cowdenbeath do.

jambo in iraq

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Cowdenbeath-fans-fear-Spartans-takeover.6189421.jp

What do folk make of this?

As much as I think it'd be sad to see Cowdenbeath go, I think it'd be brilliant for Spartans to get into the league set up. With the facilities that they have I reckon they'd do fairly well and would probably get significantly better attendances than Cowdenbeath do.

I feel a little for cowdenbeath, I have a few mates that play for them and the junior club which i am involved with have close ties with their set up. They have invested a lot in youth football, infact their academy side is just as good as many of the premier teams. That said they have always struggled with attendancies. Infact they are probably not even the biggest club in Cowdenbeath now, that honour would probably go to Hill O'Beath..

Spartans want to be a little careful here remember Meadowbank, St Bernards and Leith Athletic before them. Edinburgh has never embrassed a third team with much enthusiasm.

This is further evidence imo that Scottish football really need to open up to allow entry to the top Junior and Highland clubs. If these clubs have the resources then good on them and we may see a few new names in the upper echalons of the game. It would also allow struggling teams like cowdenbeath to return to a regional set up which will ensure their long term survival by greatly reducing overheads. I know certain teams will never have it, but its farcical having teams like Linlithgow, Boness, Pollock and Irvine Meadow playing under a glass sealing infont of 700-1000 people a week and having East Stirling and Albion Rovers playing infront of 200-300!??

I feel a little for cowdenbeath, I have a few mates that play for them and the junior club which i am involved with have close ties with their set up. They have invested a lot in youth football, infact their academy side is just as good as many of the premier teams. That said they have always struggled with attendancies. Infact they are probably not even the biggest club in Cowdenbeath now, that honour would probably go to Hill O'Beath..

Spartans want to be a little careful here remember Meadowbank, St Bernards and Leith Athletic before them. Edinburgh has never embrassed a third team with much enthusiasm.

This is further evidence imo that Scottish football really need to open up to allow entry to the top Junior and Highland clubs. If these clubs have the resources then good on them and we may see a few new names in the upper echalons of the game. It would also allow struggling teams like cowdenbeath to return to a regional set up which will ensure their long term survival by greatly reducing overheads. I know certain teams will never have it, but its farcical having teams like Linlithgow, Boness, Pollock and Irvine Meadow playing under a glass sealing infont of 700-1000 people a week and having East Stirling and Albion Rovers playing infront of 200-300!??

Good post. I hadn't realised that Scotland is unusual in not having a pyramidal structure.

As for buying out, that would be unnecessary if such a pyramid existed.

Radioactive Mince

The following is relevent and not:

Stirling Albion Vs Cowdenbeath on Saturday past. 3rd against 2nd. If Stirling win their 3 games in hand they go top ahead of Alloa. Attendance? 575. Now I know that Stirling is a small town, but the attendances their only senior football club are getting are nothing short of an embarrassment.

Cowdenbeath getting low attendances I can understand - the town itself is only about the size of Rosyth (20,000 approx pop.), They are in between two bigger clubs, Dunfermline and Raith, and not too far from Edinburgh so there are Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic and the two big Fife clubs' fans lving in and around Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly etc.

As for Spartans buying them out, it just doesn't sit right with me for some reason. As someone has said already, a third Edinburgh club is a proven disaster. I'm not convinced that the crowds they get at amateur level would be kept up longer term as with SFL status comes hopeless mediocrity for a club of their size and, of course, higher admission fees to further turn off the fans.

A pyramid structure in our game I fully support. As posted previously, many Junior clubs put most/all 2nd Div clubs to shame and even some 1st Div ones.

The fact is that Scotland is a country of three major cities, one smallish one, two borderline cities and four or five large towns. There is no way that we can expect small town clubs to get more than a couple of hundred supporters at their games, especially when, in Scotland's 2nd largest city, for example, it's arguable that there are more Old Firm fans than those of local clubs.

Mince

If there is a takeover, I'm concerned about the effect that this could have on Edinburgh City. The SFL are almost certainly not going to award a league position to a fourth team in Edinburgh should Spartans become the third team by buying a league place.

jambo in iraq

If there is a takeover, I'm concerned about the effect that this could have on Edinburgh City. The SFL are almost certainly not going to award a league position to a fourth team in Edinburgh should Spartans become the third team by buying a league place.

You know, one of the biggest problems is the junior clubs is themselves. I mean no disrespect to the EOS, but apart from the odd club the standards and size is dwarfed by the Junior set up. However I can guarentee you if you took a staw poll of say the Linlithgow committee I would be certain they would vote against going senior... why? because what is in it for them to play 1 week away to Elgin City, Annan Ath or even Brechin. When they could be playing Boness, Bathgate or Whitburn infront of nearly 1000 people a time.

The only way this will work is that the top two leagues in Scotland are National and the 2nd and 3rd divisions ar regionalised and opened up to the Junior/senior structure. To gain access to the two national leagues should require proof that you will be financially able to fulfill all fixtures and a full time structure. Scotland is too small for any other system. BTW you could increase both the top leagues to 14 that way the bigger clubs who have invested will maintain their status in the short term at least.

Think it's ridiculous. There should be promotion to the SFL from the junior leagues on merit alone. If Cowdenbeath finish say in the bottom two of the lowest senior league then fine, let the top two in the junior setup take the places (if they want to) and Cowdenbeath can drop down.

Stuart Lyon

Just read the Scotsman article and appreciate the economic reasons driving the BB to examine all possibilities. I feel however that it is the thin end of the wedge and may be the first of many similar situations with other clubs in Scotland. A friend of mine is a dyed-in-the-wool BB fan having been born and bred in Cowdenbeath. He has done a lot of fund raising for them over the last 40+ years and he was recently recognised for his efforts by being appointed as a non-executive director. He is delighted naturally and I hope for his sake it is not a short term position.

As I understand it the club planned to move to a new site and sell Central Park for retail use; obviously the recession haas put paid to this proposal.

jamboinglasgow

Good post.

Its sad that Cowdenbeath are in such a bad state, they are second in the second division and have a good chance to go up as they look to be in the play-off places, a first in their lifetime. They are playing with a good young manager and have many young players in their team. But if they can afford to survive there is something wrong.

It has been said before, we have too many senior clubs in Scotland. In Fife alone you have Dunfermline and Raith in division one, East Fife and Cowdenbeath in Division two. Four clubs on or near the south coast of Fife. Sadly I think Scotland needs to offer some the chance to merge. I do think a third smaller club in Edinburgh is sustainable. I think Spartans main appeal could be as an attraction as a second club for Edinburgh people i.e. they may support Hearts/Hibs/Rangers/Celtic first but for a cheap price they could watch Spartans when their sides are playing away or even on a Sunday. I would consider it.

As for the pyramid system, it should happen. It allows the league to be freshened up and reward teams that invest well. It may also be a wake-up call for lower SFL clubs.

loveofthegame

I also know someone who plays for Blue Brazil, as well as having a few mates at Spartans.

Whilst you have to hand it to Spartans for their ambition and the terrific way the club is being run (just look their new facilities/ youth set up/ etc), I do not feel buying out a current Senior Club is the way forward. Cowdenbeath, whilst being a small club, are a decent club who have regularly performed well in recent years.

As others have pointed out in order to develop Scottish football MUST introduce a pyrimidal structure asap. The current set up just isn't working.

caledoniaman

As the 'Spartan in residence' here, I'd challenge the theory that Spartans in the SFL would achieve nothing more than boring mediocrity. They have raised the bar for small Scottish clubs across the board. Although some people would hate to admit it, Spartans are now at a completely different level from other EOS clubs.

In recent weeks, we've had three 7-0 wins and a 6-0 win amongst others. In fact, in the last 7 games we've scored 34 goals and conceded only 1. We are inches away from wrapping up back to back league titles, we are still in two cup semi-finals and I can't see anyone stopping us next season either.

Some would say that kind of dominance is equally boring. As it currently stands, the EOSPL doesn't even have a duopoly. At least the Old Infirm have each other to make it interesting.

Spartans is a club which has outgrown the league it is in. I can't comment on the accuracy of the reports but the fact of the matter is, something has to be done in Scottish football to let ambitious clubs like Spartans progress.

Denny Crane

As the 'Spartan in residence' here, I'd challenge the theory that Spartans in the SFL would achieve nothing more than boring mediocrity. They have raised the bar for small Scottish clubs across the board. Although some people would hate to admit it, Spartans are now at a completely different level from other EOS clubs.

In recent weeks, we've had three 7-0 wins and a 6-0 win amongst others. In fact, in the last 7 games we've scored 34 goals and conceded only 1. We are inches away from wrapping up back to back league titles, we are still in two cup semi-finals and I can't see anyone stopping us next season either.

Some would say that kind of dominance is equally boring. As it currently stands, the EOSPL doesn't even have a duopoly. At least the Old Infirm have each other to make it interesting.

Spartans is a club which has outgrown the league it is in. I can't comment on the accuracy of the reports but the fact of the matter is, something has to be done in Scottish football to let ambitious clubs like Spartans progress.

You are correct. Something does need to be done. However, one club carpet-bagging its way into the SFL at the expense of an established member is not the solution.

Captain Canada

I don't think that any team should be allowed to buy a place in the league. If Cowdenbeath were to go to the wall then their place should be opened up to applications from anyone who wants to join, not just the team with the most money.

caledoniaman

who owns the land that spartans play on

I actually don't know the finer details but it's a partnership between the club and the council with a complex legal agreement giving Spartans exclusive use of the facilities for a peppercorn rent.

As for accusations of 'carpet bagging', from what I read, Cowdenbeath would have been out of business next season anyway. Shy bairns get nowt in this life. The SFL has created an old boys network of blazers. If you wait on them inviting you to join their gang, you'll be waiting a long time.

caledoniaman

I don't think that any team should be allowed to buy a place in the league. If Cowdenbeath were to go to the wall then their place should be opened up to applications from anyone who wants to join, not just the team with the most money.

But is the application system fair or is it run by men who work on self interest. One reason Annan was such an attractive club for other SPL chairmen was that the club was far enough away from their catchment area for players. Let's face it, a lot of teams operate with central belt players. Players from Edinburgh and the surrounding area will be keener to go to Ainslie Park twice a week for training than to the likes of Berwick for instance.

But is the application system fair or is it run by men who work on self interest. One reason Annan was such an attractive club for other SPL chairmen was that the club was far enough away from their catchment area for players. Let's face it, a lot of teams operate with central belt players. Players from Edinburgh and the surrounding area will be keener to go to Ainslie Park twice a week for training than to the likes of Berwick for instance.

is it fair that spartans have had a purpose built complex paid for by the rate payer

You are correct. Something does need to be done. However, one club carpet-bagging its way into the SFL at the expense of an established member is not the solution.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Pyramid = Good

Mr Blobby-style "franchising" = Not Good

caledoniaman

is it fair that spartans have had a purpose built complex paid for by the rate payer

Is it fair that you should make such sweeping statements on a subject which you know nothing about? FYI Spartans raised several million pounds of their own money to fund this.

Footballfirst

The demand for a pyramid structure is greater among fans than within the clubs. Indeed there were only 4 applicants to replace Gretna when a place last came up. (Annan were successful). Why? It's simply a case of most junior clubs being in a comfort zone within their own environment. Why should they aspire to Div. 2 or 3 and having no chance of winning trophies and have to pay a minimum of of a tenner when they currently have the opportunity to win a range of trophies on an annual basis and their fans only pay a fiver for the privilige.

The changes in the Scottish Cup format has even allowed the best of the Junior sides to get entry to the cup and showcase their skills. They are now in the favourable position of having their cake and eating it.

That said, Spartans are an ambitious club and have been looking to move up into the SFL for some time and shouldn't be denied, for all time, the opportunity to join if they want and have the means to do so. My question for the fans would be if they would be willing to attend games if they were asked to pay 10 or 12 pounds to watch their home games against Elgin or Albion Rovers.

Is it fair that you should make such sweeping statements on a subject which you know nothing about? FYI Spartans raised several million pounds of their own money to fund this.

as you say in your own post (15) you dont know the finer details as for them raising millions of pounds of there own money to fund this come on

The Old Tolbooth

I actually agree with you that Spartans have outgrown the league, they are too big and too good for anyone else in their league these days and should be put forward as a new league club, if Annan Athletic can get in then why not Spartans?

I remember being on the committee at Gala Fairydean when we were pushing for a league place through the abysmal voting system where SPL sides were given 4 votes each (wtf?) and this basically decided the outcome of who got into the league rather than the smaller clubs who the Dean would be playing against. The upshot was that Ross County and ICT (even though they hadn't even been formed into a proper club at the time) were voted into the league, and everyone at the Dean was devastated! At that time the Dean were probably in front of most other sides in the league as regards playing facilities and the like, but 20 or so years on and because of that failure, and 2 other failures (Elgin, Peterhead and Annan got in) to gain league status, the Dean are now in the second tier of the EOSL and their stadium/ground has been left untouched when others have overtaken them facilities wise.

I feel if Spartans don't get into the league set up sometime soon then they may start going backwards just like the Dean have done, and that would be a real shame to see as they have put so much effort and work into where they are now, they deserve a chance.

On another note, what sort of crowds could Spartans expect if they were in the league mate?

Also, if it comes down to a voting system where the SPL sides get the majority of the votes again, then don't expect Hearts or Hibs to vote for Spartans, their excuse was very feeble in why they voted for Highland league clubs citing that at the time they did not want to take away from their own fan bases with people going to watch Gala Fairydean instead :unsure: , I would imagine that with Spartans being on both clubs doorsteps then they will come out with something similar.

Clubs going out of business is bad news, whatever you think of the club. Imagine how you would feel if Heart of Midlothian disappeared and then you can imagine how Cowdenbeath fans will feel. OK there may only be 400 or so but they still love their club and support their local team.

I believe that clubs can be saved by helping them find their level. If Cowdenbeath cannot sustain league status due to their finances and support, I'm sure the East of Scotland league would welcome them as their financial demands will not be as stringent as those of the SFL. Their loyal supporters would still have a club to support and under a pyramid system the opportunity to return to the Scottish League if they can get their house in order. Regionalisation of the part-time leagues is essential to reduce travelling costs and improve attendances.

Clubs going out of business is bad news, whatever you think of the club. Imagine how you would feel if Heart of Midlothian disappeared and then you can imagine how Cowdenbeath fans will feel. OK there may only be 400 or so but they still love their club and support their local team.

I believe that clubs can be saved by helping them find their level. If Cowdenbeath cannot sustain league status due to their finances and support, I'm sure the East of Scotland league would welcome them as their financial demands will not be as stringent as those of the SFL. Their loyal supporters would still have a club to support and under a pyramid system the opportunity to return to the Scottish League if they can get their house in order. Regionalisation of the part-time leagues is essential to reduce travelling costs and improve attendances.

If anybody goes, Preston Athletic should be allowed in without any voting.

They have been knocked back 2 or 3 times before and E. Lothian is one of the few counties in Scotland not represented in the Scottish leagues. Even an English county is represented.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Shame for Cowdenbeath, who have one of the finest nicknames in Scottish football, but surely it's better to have some form of a club to support than none at all? Spartans have an extremely impressive set up and you wouldn't put it past them to move up the leagues pretty quickly. Will they still be called Spartans?

Unfortunately, without a pyramid format, the merging of teams is crucial because we have far too many pro teams for such a small country.

caledoniaman

as you say in your own post (15) you dont know the finer details as for them raising millions of pounds of there own money to fund this come on

Ando. All I'm saying is that Spartans raised funds themselves and it wasn't all funded by the council as you suggest. Your post suggests someone who has no idea of the true scale of the Spartans organisation or their determination to achieve their ambitions. Mr Romanov could learn a lot from them about running a football club.

Well Spartans Academy is a social enterprise, so it is primarily there to help the community. I do know they got government funding from the Scottish Investment Fund, but I don't think they got much cash off the council - just cheaper rates. Also they made a fair bit from selling their old ground, just before the bubble popped. So Spartans certainly didn't just take money off the rate payer but used numerous different sources for their funds.

Are spartans still amateur? If so are they looking to retain that status and become the "Queens Park of the East"?

Well Spartans Academy is a social enterprise, so it is primarily there to help the community. I do know they got government funding from the Scottish Investment Fund, but I don't think they got much cash off the council - just cheaper rates. Also they made a fair bit from selling their old ground, just before the bubble popped. So Spartans certainly didn't just take money off the rate payer but used numerous different sources for their funds.

Didn't about half of the cash come from lottery funding, or am I just making that up?

The Old Tolbooth

If anybody goes, Preston Athletic should be allowed in without any voting.

They have been knocked back 2 or 3 times before and E. Lothian is one of the few counties in Scotland not represented in the Scottish leagues. Even an English county is represented.

The same argument was used for the Borders as it is the largest area in Scotland to not be represented with a either a football league club or a railway line, its almost like the Borders don't exist to some people in Scotland.

caledoniaman

The same argument was used for the Borders as it is the largest area in Scotland to not be represented with a either a football league club or a railway line, its almost like the Borders don't exist to some people in Scotland.

I've a lot of time for Preston Athletic but in terms of a model club for the league then they don't come close to what Spartans can offer. We've got 500 kids in our youth academy for a start.

Where?

whats the borders?

but seriously... the borders is rugby land for sure, if there was bigger football clubs, then they'd be represented. but that's by the bye. this is a difficult one for me as i have an affinity for both clubs, and this makes me agree with the pyramid set-up even more, it would help clubs find their level, without constraining them, they are free to move up and down as finances and on-field success dictates. i'm covering the cowdenbeath v stirling game tonight for www.cowdenbeath-mad.co.uk so obviously i'll be speaking to people there, if there's anything to report, i'll post it on here

It would be a travesty if it happened. Been to a lot of Cowdenbeath matches over the last half a dozen years as my mate is a fan and they are some of the best days I've had out at the football.

Cracking club who have a cracking bunch of supporters.

As much as I would love to see Spartans playing in the SFL, I don't think buying over Cowdenbeath is the way forward. But I would agree that Spartans are too big for the EOS. I stayed in Hawick for 4 years having only moved back up last May and the closest to a team they had was Hawick Royal Albert who were in the EOS 1st divison. Ever since I started watching their games I have had a keen interest in the EOS leagues. Spartans being my favourite out of the divisons. It would be sad though to see a team like Cowdenbeath go out of business. Mate's cousin is the keeper for them.

If Cowdenbeath where to get promoted then go out of business and Spartans buy them does that mean Spartans would start of in the First Division?

Shame for Cowdenbeath, who have one of the finest nicknames in Scottish football, but surely it's better to have some form of a club to support than none at all? Spartans have an extremely impressive set up and you wouldn't put it past them to move up the leagues pretty quickly. Will they still be called Spartans?

Unfortunately, without a pyramid format, the merging of teams is crucial because we have far too many pro teams for such a small country.

If there was a merger they could recognise that by including Cowden's nickname and calling themselves Spartans Brazil.

That would also increase attendances as their ground would continually be populated by confused Hibs' fans.

caledoniaman

It would be a travesty if it happened. Been to a lot of Cowdenbeath matches over the last half a dozen years as my mate is a fan and they are some of the best days I've had out at the football.

Cracking club who have a cracking bunch of supporters.

Unfortunately this isn't a situation created by Spartans. What non-league club, when approached by an SFL club and offered an easy route in, wouldn't consider it? The situation was created by good, old-fashioned, Scottish, closed-shop, old boys network-ism.

As for Cowden fans. I have sympathy with their situation but it's a reeks a bit of crying because your girlfriend has left you after you spent years mistreating her. They've hardly been turning out in droves to support the club and no local businesses have been invested in the club either. The number of buses that leave Fife to go to either Darkheid or Ibrox on a Saturday is a disgrace.

Just because Spartans are streets ahead of everyone else in the league at the moment and have been the best side for a few years now doesn't and shouldn't mean they have a right to gain entry into the league.

Fair enough they seem to have a good setup there and could hold they're own but different sides in that league have won the league at a canter at different times.

Selkirk were the main side in the EOS league in the 70's. Can you imagine them in the 3rd division?

Fwiw I would like to see Spartans in the league but I'd like it to be done without buying your way in.

jambo in iraq

Unfortunately this isn't a situation created by Spartans. What non-league club, when approached by an SFL club and offered an easy route in, wouldn't consider it? The situation was created by good, old-fashioned, Scottish, closed-shop, old boys network-ism.

As for Cowden fans. I have sympathy with their situation but it's a reeks a bit of crying because your girlfriend has left you after you spent years mistreating her. They've hardly been turning out in droves to support the club and no local businesses have been invested in the club either. The number of buses that leave Fife to go to either Darkheid or Ibrox on a Saturday is a disgrace.

This is a great post. I love your girlfriend analogy! very true

MacDonald Jardine

And presumably you'd say the same if Hearts went bust?

The Old Tolbooth

Where?

:D

whats the borders?

but seriously... the borders is rugby land for sure, if there was bigger football clubs, then they'd be represented. but that's by the bye. this is a difficult one for me as i have an affinity for both clubs, and this makes me agree with the pyramid set-up even more, it would help clubs find their level, without constraining them, they are free to move up and down as finances and on-field success dictates. i'm covering the cowdenbeath v stirling game tonight for www.cowdenbeath-mad.co.uk so obviously i'll be speaking to people there, if there's anything to report, i'll post it on here

I tend to agree with you re the Borders being to rugby orientated to support a league football club, I think the Dean were depending on support coming from other Borders towns to watch them as they get crowds of about 100 on a Saturday if your lucky, and some of them are the turnstyle folk!

The rugby used to get around 7-800 at home games which is just over the fence, but now even their crowds have dwindled badly since professionalism, so maybe a football league club would stimulate more sporting interest in the town again, who knows.

:D

I tend to agree with you re the Borders being to rugby orientated to support a league football club, I think the Dean were depending on support coming from other Borders towns to watch them as they get crowds of about 100 on a Saturday if your lucky, and some of them are the turnstyle folk!

The rugby used to get around 7-800 at home games which is just over the fence, but now even their crowds have dwindled badly since professionalism, so maybe a football league club would stimulate more sporting interest in the town again, who knows.

The Borders do have football. I know this because I am the proud owner of a Stow FC strip.

The Old Tolbooth

The Borders do have football. I know this because I am the proud owner of a Stow FC strip.

Ah the famous black and yellow of Stow FC, you probably know one of my old muckers Tucker McCall if you know anything about Stow mate, a sound lad who has looked after that club for a long time now.

I've had a few beers with the Stow lads in the 80's and early 90's and can confirm that they are/were a cracking bunch! :thumbsup:

Ah the famous black and yellow of Stow FC, you probably know one of my old muckers Tucker McCall if you know anything about Stow mate, a sound lad who has looked after that club for a long time now.

I've had a few beers with the Stow lads in the 80's and early 90's and can confirm that they are/were a cracking bunch! :thumbsup:

I don't know anything more than the colours tbh.

My mate lives there and his dads work sponsor(ed) them and I was drunk in the Springbank Inn one night and apparently said I wanted to buy a strip. My mate managed to get me one. :D

chester copperpot

I don't know anything more than the colours tbh.

My mate lives there and his dads work sponsor(ed) them and I was drunk in the Springbank Inn one night and apparently said I wanted to buy a strip. My mate managed to get me one. :D

:laugh:

Good news if this goes ahead (at least for us)

If things go tits up then we can at least buy say Elgin City and have a way back into the league -- we could perhaps call ourselves Hearts FC just to distinguish ourselves from the then defunct Heart of Midlothian :whistling:

For all the Hobos and Sergey lovers this is just a fantasy not reality for you.

caledoniaman

So basically if yer teams doing shite,just buy a club a few leagues up. :verymad:

I think the whole point here is that Spartans are not doing shite. In fact, we are doing very well indeed.

caledoniaman

And presumably you'd say the same if Hearts went bust?

Surely Hearts would never be sold to an absentee landlord from outside the community who would then run the club into the ground? Oh, wait a minute.....

I should probably expand on my thoughts on this matter. As a Spartan, it doesn't exactly sit comfortably with me that a 130 year old club could disappear off the map in order for us to get a league place. I appreciate that football is a wee bit different from a normal business in terms of the emotional ties people have to their clubs, however Cowdenbeath is a classic example of 'use it or lose it'.

If everyone started buying their newspaper at Tesco rather than the local newsagent then you'd expect the local newsagent to go out of business very quickly. However, would everyone be on the forums saying "Oh my Granda used to buy his newspaper there. Cannae believe it's happening. Can we not get a millionaire/Gordon Brown/a newspaper readers consortium (delete as applicable) in to buy it?". No, I don't think so.

Cowdenbeath fans have long since abandoned their club. Even last night, with their club potentially days away from extinction, only 50 of them bothered to turn up at the meeting. According to one poster on P&B, it was apparently the rain that put them off. I mean, FFS. If your club is threatened, you think you'd be out in force. Fact of the matter is, the weather and a Bayern Munich v Man Utd game was clearly the greater priority.

In any other type of business you would all agree and no one would bat an eyelid. It's the survival of the fittest or more accurately, the survival of the most bothered.

From what I've read on other forums, they don't seem to have thought beyond the buying out the owners by matching Spartans (alleged) offer. Perhaps they could achieve that by raising a few grand here and there. However, that's only step one. Who's going to meet the ?15K fine for the pitch not meeting regulation. Who's going to meet the ?10K loss every week. It's a bottomless pit.

Regardless of the involvement or otherwise of Spartans, Cowdenbeath have been going to the wall for a good while now. They all just temporarily forgot about it in the excitement of a challenge for the 2nd Division title. Even that didn't exactly have them pouring into Central Park in large numbers.

I personally would not want to see Cowdenbeath disappear, however they need to look a lot closer to home than Spartans to find the true cause of their club's demise.

Archived