When is terrorism, not terrorism?

2NaFish

When its not a towelhead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8522746.stm

"The White House said this did not appear to be an act of terrorism" - Clearly i do not know what terrorism is.

I await the limbuaghs and becks of the american media to portray this man as some sort of libertarian hero. When in actuality he flew a plane into a building because he didnt like american government policy; and no matter what you say it is not comparable to any other terrorist event. Nope, not one bit.m

Unbelieveable! The White House are so up their own arse!

Still, nice to see that the lessons of 9/11 have been learnt.

BTW, will also be interesting to hear the White House's take on the Hamas dude who was assassinated in the UAE. Israel is the main suspect and this would be state sponsored terrorism, the prime reason we are in Afghanistan, but will action be taken?

whistling.gif

boabyarsebiscuit

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8522746.stm

"The White House said this did not appear to be an act of terrorism" - Clearly i do not know what terrorism is.

I await the limbuaghs and becks of the american media to portray this man as some sort of libertarian hero. When in actuality he flew a plane into a building because he didnt like american government policy; and no matter what you say it is not comparable to any other terrorist event. Nope, not one bit.m

That's exactly what he is.

Sterling Archer

Yeah...they got themselves a big ol case of terrorism.

scottish_chicP

Is it political though? Serious question as I haven't actually read the whole article but I thought terrorism was all to do with political stuff.

alwaysthereinspirit

I know if I was looking out the window of that building and saw a plane coming at me I'd be f****** terrorized.

Is it political though? Serious question as I haven't actually read the whole article but I thought terrorism was all to do with political stuff.

yes its political, but terrorism neednt necessarily be political anyway.

this cant be allowed to be seen as terrorism as it doesnt fit the media's understanding of modern day terrorism, which is why i havent seen this mentioned on the one o'clock news, and furthermore because it would not sit well with america's war on terror.

Sterling Archer

yes its political, but terrorism neednt necessarily be political anyway.

this cant be allowed to be seen as terrorism as it doesnt fit the media's understanding of modern day terrorism, which is why i havent seen this mentioned on the one o'clock news, and furthermore because it would not sit well with america's war on terror.

translation: commited by those brown of face.

"Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.[1"

This guy hoped to promote change through the use of violence/terror.

had it been a muslim would this be major news that's described as terrorism though?

scottish_chicP

Fair enough I read it as : a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for. But obviously thats just one link! I thought it was a bit strange when I heard about it that it hadn't been largely publicised.

Sterling Archer

Fair enough I read it as : a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for. But obviously thats just one link! I thought it was a bit strange when I heard about it that it hadn't been largely publicised.

that must be the one from www.americangovernmentandwhatyoushouldthinkabouttheterribleworldwelivein.com

scottish_chicP

that must be the one from www.americangovernmentandwhatyoushouldthinkabouttheterribleworldwelivein.com

thumbsup.gif

There are so many things wrong with the collection of statements you have made, I dont know where to start ChicP.

Someone else can have a go. wink.gif

Your western biased islamic fundamentalist view of terrorism wouldnt wash with the French Revolutionaries.

scottish_chicP

There are so many things wrong with the collection of statements you have made, I dont know where to start ChicP.

Someone else can have a go. wink.gif

Your western biased islamic fundamentalist view of terrorism wouldnt wash with the French Revolutionaries.

Can I just add I am fairly dumb on the subject and that wasn't actually my view I was merely asking so someone could enlighten me. Cheers.

Sterling Archer

Can I just add I am fairly dumb on the subject and that wasn't actually my view I was merely asking so someone could enlighten me. Cheers.

The definition you posted is a slightly racist, narrow minded view of terrorism, the sort that would be held by your average american.

In reality Terrorism is as simple as causing terror/trouble/fear to persuade people to cooperate with your view.

Ironically, causing fear to get people to cooperate with your view sounds very like the American/British governments

scottish_chicP

The definition you posted is a slightly racist, narrow minded view of terrorism, the sort that would be held by your average american.

In reality Terrorism is as simple as causing terror/trouble/fear to persuade people to cooperate with your view.

Ironically, causing fear to get people to cooperate with your view sounds very like the American/British governments

Yeah as I say that wasn't actually my view and I had copied and pasted it from another website. I was just trying to find out the definition of terrorism as I wasn't sure. I only copied the first one I found but never claimed that was my view.

Genuine question, as it's not a subject I know much about. Were the Crusades terrorist?

i'd class them as conquest. or an attempted conquest.

anyway its anachronistic to use pejorative terms such as terrorism when talking about events that happened almost a millenia ago. acts such as richard the lionheart's massacre at acre would be an atrocious war crime by todays standards but in context were acceptable by the rules of conduct.

OK. So because it happened a long time ago it's fine and has no bearing on any present conflicts. And here was me thinking history wasn't the continuing justification for todays absurd conflicts.

OK. So because it happened a long time ago it's fine and has no bearing on any present conflicts. And here was me thinking history wasn't the continuing justification for todays absurd conflicts.

i didnt say it doesnt have a bearing. i said for us to judge medieval acts by today's standards is wrong.

Archived