Times - Graham Spiers - 'Jefferies Article'

Skiba

Its funny, the press have done nothing but play the "Hearts need to bring in a man who knows the club, someone who knows the Scottish game" card for ong enough now - and they dont call it a step in the right direction, they throw their hands in the air and go over old ground.

Its funny, the press have done nothing but play the "Hearts need to bring in a man who knows the club, someone who knows the Scottish game" card for ong enough now - and they dont call it a step in the right direction, they throw their hands in the air and go over old ground.

It's just the way it goes with us these days. We'll never be able to do right by them whilst Vlad is around.

Also, lying under the latest rantings from the media, Jeffries was the last man to put in a serious challenge to the OF. Maybe they are getting their retaliation in first.....

Same old crap - nothing new or interesting. Maybe what he is saying will come to fruition but it's easy to write this, not exactly insightful.

Although for some reason because he writes for the Times now, some on here regard him as the Scottish Norman Mailer.

i think it's a poor lazy effort from a normally reasonable journo. i think he might even regret writing it if he reviews it at some point.

if he really does believe what he's written then it doesn't matter who romanov appoints... it will be wrong. it doesn't matter who takes the job... they will either be branded a puppet or be accused of being not of sound mind.

if this journo is thinking along these lines then what hope is there for the rabid red-top monkeys?

Charlie-Brown
i think it's a poor lazy effort from a normally reasonable journo. i think he might even regret writing it if he reviews it at some point.

if he really does believe what he's written then it doesn't matter who romanov appoints... it will be wrong. it doesn't matter who takes the job... they will either be branded a puppet or be accused of being not of sound mind.

if this journo is thinking along these lines then what hope is there for the rabid red-top monkeys?

Graham Spiers has never been interested in Hearts or writing about Hearts or any non Old Firm team for that matter - it's just an occupational hazard & necessity so his writings on these teams including us only really ever skim the surface of events .... this is poor stuff - very mystic meg.

Graham Spiers has never been interested in Hearts or writing about Hearts or any non Old Firm team for that matter - it's just an occupational hazard & necessity so his writings on these teams including us only really ever skim the surface of events .... this is poor stuff - very mystic meg.

especially the bit at the end suggesting a very short tenure. seems like more of a hope then a reasoned opinion.

jamboinglasgow

i agree.

I do think JJ coming to Hearts has really surprised the media, hence all these articles going on about why is he coming to Hearts, surely mad vlad will ruin it etc.

Charlie-Brown
especially the bit at the end suggesting a very short tenure. seems like more of a hope then a reasoned opinion.

Clearly Mr Romanov once upset Spiers & commented that elbow patches on brown cord suits were extremely dated & uncool even in the poorest remote backwaters of eastern europe. :)

Its pretty poor stuff from a guy that I usually have a lot of time for.

Was this the same Speirs who only 3 weeks ago wrote,he had forgotton how big Hearts were until he sat beside JJ at some function,and JJ told him all about us winning the Scottish cup in 98,and what the streets were like that night and the next day.He was waxing lyrical about JJ and us,but he comes back to Tynecastle and he comes out with this guff

Notice you still couldn't get up Wally's erse for them coming down it :angry:

Clearly Mr Romanov once upset Spiers & commented that elbow patches on brown cord suits were extremely dated & uncool even in the poorest remote backwaters of eastern europe. :)

that reminds me. i kind of liked spiers because of his spat with keith jackson. jackson also took the pish out of spiers dress sense. mind you that's almost a given.

Its pretty poor stuff from a guy that I usually have a lot of time for.

maybe they're all just trying to throw down a marker in the event of something going seriously wrong. all wanting to be able to say 'told you so...'.

It seems strange that the press are painting JJ with Mental health Issues for taking the Hearts job.

Me, I don't think for one minute Jim's love of the club has clouded his judgement on taking the position.

He's always come across as pretty smart, and it wouldn't take too much of a leap of faith to suggest that JJ and Vlad have been in discussion since he left Kilmarnock.

JJ wouldn't be stupid enough to take the job without certain guarantees, maybe even having them written into his contract?

I liked the bird of prey analogy, and have often thought much the same of JJ's physical appearance but the rest of the article is a mish-mash of all the witty posturings that Spiers must've concocted during time waiting outside Mr Murray's office.

The article fails to establish both Csaba's failings in his job and in his bleatings to the press. He also doesn't mention Csaba's change in attitude in the summer of 2009 or the criticism he dished out to his own young players who needed to his protection whilst he blew good money on duds.

Likewise, he doesn't give any real thought to why JJ's appointment could actually work out quite well because of our new manager's age and loyalty, as well as his ability to work well in the SPL on a tight budget.

Take away the clever metaphors and similies and you're left with the ramblings of something Chick Young would come up with in the Daily Star or suchlike.

He mentioned Charlie Mann.

A name that makes my blood boil.

I would kick that James Hunt along Gorgie Road the Calder Road and then the A71 and then through Kilmarnock over tae Troon and then into the deep blue sea.

Anybody know what he looks like because im sick of asking ugly guys if their name is Charlie Mann.

Spiers is a good writer, and I don't think there's anything in that article that most of us don't fear but daren't say.

I hope Spiers is wrong, but I'm not counting any chickens yet.

The simple fact is we cant win. We have been ripped apart and had the usual comments and sniggers about us playing negative football, and that its not pretty to watch, yet the media seem stunned that Csaba has been sacked.

The bigger shock for these moron is that they had to re-write their stories as we had a new man in place two hours after Csaba was told to bolt. I agree with vic in that, it wouldnt matter who we brought in, as they will always hark back to the "mad one" and his influence.

They have been waiting for us to die since he came in, and have showered us with re-hash after re-hash of boring speculative pish, coupled with a comment from someone who either played for us or happened to buy a pie at a game.

He mentioned Charlie Mann.

A name that makes my blood boil.

I would kick that James Hunt along Gorgie Road the Calder Road and then the A71 and then through Kilmarnock over tae Troon and then into the deep blue sea.

Anybody know what he looks like because im sick of asking ugly guys if their name is Charlie Mann.

He'd run a mile as he did a few weeks back when the players were fighting up the tunnel at Hamilton.

Spiers is like all the rest - he likes to stir the pot with a sh|tty spoon.

Christ, we all know it could go pear-shaped. But plenty time to worry about that if and when it happens. In the meantime lets just get the hell on with it.

Getting to the diddy-cup final will increase the clubs feelgood factor by 100%. If JJ can pull that off - and beating St Mirren shouldn't be beyond a Hearts team with a size 12 Jeffries boot up its erse - then Spiers can ram it.

Guess The Crowd

You're right, he's never written anything remotely interesting about Hearts.

I've been really disappointed with Spiers since he went to The Times; apart from his love affairs with Craig Levein and Jimmy Calderwood, it's all about the Old Firm (he used to be a good golf writer, but there's hardly any of that now either).

As for him 'eating his hat' if JJ lasts more than a year, the last time I recall him using that phrase was about Caley Thistle's chances of staying in the SPL for more than a season.....they lasted 5 seasons......

It is very melodramatic and may be a re-hash of things said in the past BUT there's a lot of truth in it imo. We are still on a journey where none of us really know what the end is meant to look like. :24_shocked:

Who gies a fark what graham spiers thinks?

Who is he writing that article for?

His opinion is worthless. Its you and me who go to the games, its our opinions that really count.

For what its worth, I dont know what to think about this whole situation. For me, Laszlo was two players (a creative midfielder and a striker) short of having a very decent team. I like JJ, however, im not sure if anything is gonna be all that different now.

John Montgomery
The simple fact is we cant win. We have been ripped apart and had the usual comments and sniggers about us playing negative football, and that its not pretty to watch, yet the media seem stunned that Csaba has been sacked.

The bigger shock for these moron is that they had to re-write their stories as we had a new man in place two hours after Csaba was told to bolt. I agree with vic in that, it wouldnt matter who we brought in, as they will always hark back to the "mad one" and his influence.

They have been waiting for us to die since he came in, and have showered us with re-hash after re-hash of boring speculative pish, coupled with a comment from someone who either played for us or happened to buy a pie at a game.

Especially as it was someone they maybe didn't want to criticise too much. My wife and I were sniggering about that on Friday night. The rewriting of articles for Saturday papers from very negative to positive or mildly negative.

Especially as it was someone they maybe didn't want to criticise too much. My wife and I were sniggering about that on Friday night. The rewriting of articles for Saturday papers from very negative to positive or mildly negative.

The re-writing happened much quicker than that. There were stories posted online when news broke of Csaba's sacking which were hastily edited a mere 2 hours later.

Aside from one aspect, which I'll come to, I can't see what's wrong with that piece really. He knows and likes Jim, and it's entirely legitimate for him to worry about a very decent managerial career ending in tears, or JJ being undermined or humiliated. Very little of what goes on at Romanov's Hearts is, by any stretch of the imagination, normal; I'm not sure why we get angry when journalists say so.

It's just an opinion - and when clubs appoint a new manager, everyone has one. The collective wisdom of Kickback when Hibs appointed Yogi? "Hahaha, typical hobos - he almost got Falkirk relegated last season! They'll be bottom six". Or, going back a bit, when Levein went to Tannadice? "Can't see why he's going there - it's a poisoned chalice, that club. No-one can do well there". Tangoman to Killie? "That's them going down" - but not on what I've seen so far, they're not. Or how about continually slagging off him and Strachan at Aberdeen and Celtic - not just as characters, but as managers too - then performing a sensational about turn and slagging off both sets of fans as "delusional" when getting rid of them?

We're football fans. We tend to ridicule other appointments, and feel optimistic when we make one ourselves: there's very few fans who won't give a new man a chance at their club, least of all when that man is a legend. But Spiers isn't a Hearts fan: he's bound to have a different perspective. The bit that bothers me, though, is his apparent obliviousness to how poor a job Csaba was doing by the end. He'd patently run out of ideas, the football had been awful for months (arguably, throughout his time here), and he'd given the very strong impression of wanting out ever since August.

It's never been a question of black and white, Romanov is bad so Csaba must be good. You can like them both; you can criticise them both too, and both have certainly been responsible for what's happened. But then, journalists will sympathise with Csaba because he spoke to them off the record, and was very open with them; and also, because he was treated shabbily. Almost everyone who leaves this club is. In the curt statement announcing his exit, was there any mention of his having finished 3rd and led us into Europe? Nope. A nod to the semi-final we're involved in on Tuesday? Not that either. Sorry, but that's unprofessional and unnecessary: the image it gives of those in charge is appalling, and it's very clear he won't be seeing a penny in compensation either.

But when all's said and done, you know the real genius in JJ's return happening so quickly? It already feels like Csaba's time here was months ago; almost that it never happened at all. Which is very weird, but I can't be the only one thinking it. It's a new start, and a chance for Jim and the team to make the critics eat their words - which if we're successful, they will. At present though, we're an underachieving football club with poor finances and a bizarre, impenetrable owner; and that's something writers are bound to point out, like it or not.

What an easy job it is being a journalst. Sit down at your lap top and write the first thing that comes into your head. Xenophobic nonsense as usual. What the **** is the Lithuanian Junta?

What an easy job it is being a journalst. Sit down at your lap top and write the first thing that comes into your head. Xenophobic nonsense as usual. What the **** is the Lithuanian Junta?

The Lithuanian Junta are, as well as Vlad and Sergei, Julija Goncaruk, Vitalijus Vasiliauskas, and Roman Romanov. Of three of these figures, we neither see nor hear a thing, despite them all being on the board; and the latter is even our Chairman FFS!

In this context, junta doesn't mean military regime; it means governing council. Meanwhile, down south, there's been much talk about the Glazers, Hicks and Gillette. Is that "xenophobic" too, or merely reflective of very serious concerns regarding people getting involved with football clubs they neither understand nor have any emotional connection to?

Spiers writes his Times column every week; it's just a collection of various musings on the Scottish game. His opinion is as valid as anyone else's, and invariably light hearted with zero malice involved. Would that we could smile ourselves instead of becoming absurdly angry at almost anything any journalist writes about the club.

Guess The Crowd
Aside from one aspect, which I'll come to, I can't see what's wrong with that piece really. He knows and likes Jim, and it's entirely legitimate for him to worry about a very decent managerial career ending in tears, or JJ being undermined or humiliated. Very little of what goes on at Romanov's Hearts is, by any stretch of the imagination, normal; I'm not sure why we get angry when journalists say so.

It's just an opinion - and when clubs appoint a new manager, everyone has one. The collective wisdom of Kickback when Hibs appointed Yogi? "Hahaha, typical hobos - he almost got Falkirk relegated last season! They'll be bottom six". Or, going back a bit, when Levein went to Tannadice? "Can't see why he's going there - it's a poisoned chalice, that club. No-one can do well there". Tangoman to Killie? "That's them going down" - but not on what I've seen so far, they're not. Or how about continually slagging off him and Strachan at Aberdeen and Celtic - not just as characters, but as managers too - then performing a sensational about turn and slagging off both sets of fans as "delusional" when getting rid of them?

We're football fans. We tend to ridicule other appointments, and feel optimistic when we make one ourselves: there's very few fans who won't give a new man a chance at their club, least of all when that man is a legend. But Spiers isn't a Hearts fan: he's bound to have a different perspective. The bit that bothers me, though, is his apparent obliviousness to how poor a job Csaba was doing by the end. He'd patently run out of ideas, the football had been awful for months (arguably, throughout his time here), and he'd given the very strong impression of wanting out ever since August.

It's never been a question of black and white, Romanov is bad so Csaba must be good. You can like them both; you can criticise them both too, and both have certainly been responsible for what's happened. But then, journalists will sympathise with Csaba because he spoke to them off the record, and was very open with them; and also, because he was treated shabbily. Almost everyone who leaves this club is. In the curt statement announcing his exit, was there any mention of his having finished 3rd and led us into Europe? Nope. A nod to the semi-final we're involved in on Tuesday? Not that either. Sorry, but that's unprofessional and unnecessary: the image it gives of those in charge is appalling, and it's very clear he won't be seeing a penny in compensation either.

But when all's said and done, you know the real genius in JJ's return happening so quickly? It already feels like Csaba's time here was months ago; almost that it never happened at all. Which is very weird, but I can't be the only one thinking it. It's a new start, and a chance for Jim and the team to make the critics eat their words - which if we're successful, they will. At present though, we're an underachieving football club with poor finances and a bizarre, impenetrable owner; and that's something writers are bound to point out, like it or not.

See, that's the point though Shaun. Your own post there is interesting, well-researched and thought-provoking (not that I agree with all your opinions by any means). Spiers' is nothing of the sort.

I'm not 'absurdly angry' by what he wrote, not even remotely angry - it's just dull. Sure, if you're an Old Firm fan, he writes some interesting stuff - but not about Hearts.

Another point - last season Spiers gave little or no credit to Csaba, concentrating only on his inane post-match ramblings. Now he's been (deservedly) sacked by Romanov, guess what? He's the good guy. Poor, and predictable in my view.

He's merely saying what most of us fear anyway.

Spiers is a good writer, and I don't think there's anything in that article that most of us don't fear but daren't say.

I hope Spiers is wrong, but I'm not counting any chickens yet.

It is very melodramatic and may be a re-hash of things said in the past BUT there's a lot of truth in it imo. We are still on a journey where none of us really know what the end is meant to look like. :24_shocked:

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Have we as a support learnt nothing from the last 5 years? Judging by some of the comments on this thread it would appear not.

JJ will be treated the same way as all that have gone before him since the mad fud took over.

Vlad will not change and it is about time some woke up and smelt the coffee

jamboinglasgow
Another point - last season Spiers gave little or no credit to Csaba, concentrating only on his inane post-match ramblings. Now he's been (deservedly) sacked by Romanov, guess what? He's the good guy. Poor, and predictable in my view.

See thats the point I was going to make. Last season where Csaba was doing and succeeding when others thought he wouldn't, Speirs only ever went on about how Csaba talks too much. Though Csaba did, he also said a lot of stuff about Scottish football which I thought Speirs would of liked. But he never did. Now he is feeling for the guy.

Thing is, what Hearts have done is exactly the same as what Motherwell did over a month ago. They sacked the manager for touting himself to other clubs, for falling out with everyone, and possibly because of recent performances. Then brought in an older more experienced manager. Yet Motherwell were praised and Hearts were treated with pieces asking who would work for Vlad, then having to rework them into why did JJ take the job, he must be mad.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

First up...

"... We have our favourites in the press in the Scottish football community. Walter Smith is one of them — that must be obvious. Craig Brown is another — a warm, charming, articulate man who would help out just about any reporter going. And Jim Jefferies, now back in his chaotic spiritual home called Heart of Midlothian, is another... "

What an incredibly telling first paragraph that is. The press like to tout themselves as the 'medium' between the clubs and the fans when it suits them... Chuck Dung is the absolute worst at this, every time someone gets hacked off with his gutter-press style and refuses to talk to the press (Stewart, Gannon, Vlad, Strachan, countless others) he pulls the same crap, something along the lines of: We are just the conduit between the supporters and the clubs, by not speaking to us, the clubs/managers/players are refusing to speak to the fans. This would be all well and good if the press was asking the questions that the fans wanted answering... Most of the time they do not, or at least they ask the questions the snidey, patronising OF glory-hunters are asking regardless of the club that is, for that week, news-worthy. What usually happens is they just trot out their own patronising theories and... ahem... 'FEARS' for this club or that club... Although never that Blue club with the red and white flashes eh? That would p155 off too many people that count as their 'favourites'.

The Speirs' article comes as a bit of a surprise, only because it bucks his recent trend in writing where he has tended to remain reasonably objective (rare thing in modern journalism) when it has come to discussing Hearts or in fact most other non-OF teams. It is not usually his tack to speak of 'favourites' among the footballing fraternity and he is more likely to be found castigating others for such things... He constantly squeals about how other journos suck up to certain characters in Scottish football, while painting himself as the man who is above all of that. Ironic...

Then there is...

"... Jefferies is going back into a club where the truth of its activites are viewed only as through a smoked glass. If he thought Michael Johnston and the Kilmarnock business was awkward, just wait till the bold JJ steps off that flight to Vilnius. I fear this will not be a long-term appointment. Even worse, under Romanov, I fear Hearts are going to lurch from minor drama to minor drama until a breaking point arrives when a full-scale uprising occurs... "

He 'fears' this does he? Well perhaps he has found a square inch or two of 'smoked glass' that affords him a better view than the rest of us, maybe his little corner of the glass is clear and Jim's is as smokey as everyone elses is? Perhaps?... But no I seriously doubt it... He has lowered himself to the level of that jug-eared wee patronising hun: Billy Dodds here I am afraid... No... worse than that, he contradicts himself so badly in this one paragraph that, he falls bellow that poisonous little, nasal-whining dwarf... You see 'Doddsy' never tries to convince anyone that he is a serious pundit or an 'articulate' and inteligent writer like Speirs does... No 'Doddsy', just blurts out on Sportsound -a full hour before JJ is paraded with a scarf above his head- that: 'I would warn Jim against a move back to Hearts'... Am I missing something here? Are Jim and Billy big mates then? Strange that he never phoned Billy 'Doddsy' Dodds beforehand to ask his thoughts or permission first eh? Maybe the patronising little wretch knows feck all about JJ and the club he adores? Who the feck does he think HE is???

To start of talking about smoked glass and then to make such sweeping assumptions is just crazy... He is even trying to place a time limit on the man's tenure when he has not been in the job half of a week...?????

Riddle me this Speirso, when was the last time anyone in the press was correct about anything at Hearts under Vlad? Csaba first to be sacked? Player fire sales? No manager wanting to go near the poisoned chalice? Reports of our demise have been greatly exagerated Mr Speirs and it is about time you and your coleagues just admitted that you know about as much... NO, LESS, than your average Hearts fan does about the future and the dat to day running of OUR club.

This bit irritates me too...

"... It is hard, too, amid all this Gorgie drama, not to feel pity for Laszlo. He has been a good Hearts coach who has been treated shabbily by the regime. Lord knows, the transfer of players to Tynecastle without the coach’s approval has never quite abated, even during Laszlo’s time. It is not the smoothest way to run a football club... "

Suddenly he was a good Hearts coach again??? Suddenly all the media reports of our style of football that has been described as 'big and physical', 'route one' 'overly direct', 'enough to make your eyes bleed', 'lucky', 'dogged' and 'unatractive' are forgotten about and we have just jettisoned Alex Ferguson the sequal? WTF??? I feel quite sorry for Csaba, because the man lost Vlad's confidence and wasclearly wanting out but hasn't he just got his wish?

Noone really knows what will happen now with JJ at the helm, will Vlad back him to the hilt or will he want him there because he sees him as an easy touch who will tow the line in order to retire at the club he loves? Who knows but I am not willing to just jump to the automatic conclusion that Speirs and others have done that it is doomed to failure... Why should I? It is not like they ever get anything right when they try and speculate about Hearts so why would i lap up ther sour milk now? No chance, we will wait and see.

Equally it would not be a good thing to get all Newcastle United about his apointment and start making idiots of ourselves l;ike they did when their messiah returned... For all of five minutes... We should learn their mistakes and not propell JJ up onto Keegan's plinth, that would be dangerous, some hold on when they climb back up there, like Walter Smith but the ground around that plinth is littered with the bones of many a returning hero too. Speaking of Smith though, perhaps it would be worthwhile letting Locke... 'cut his teeth' so to speak beside JJ until Jim retires and then we might even have a good up and coming manager ready to come in at some point in the future? People will make much of his daft laddie and uncultured tag but why? I mean look at Bingo and compare his Hibs side to that of the learned Sauzee at the Hobos. I'll take passion over etiquet I reckon.

We do not know what will happen in this new era but it is worth bearing in mind that these jokers don't either and that our glass is probably less 'smokey' than theirs is.

Good luck with the future Csaba and I hope you get a new job and improve there as a coach.

And a massive good luck and backing to JJ!

HEARTS FOREVER

Its merely pointing out the truth, the truth that many Hearts fans seem to want to ignore.

I really think that the JJ appointment is a great one and imo puts VR into a situation that he's never really been in before.

I really hope we can all start to sing from the same song sheet at Hearts now that JJ is back.

But i get the feeling that if VR were to treat JJ like say Burley or Robbo then the below words from Mr Spiers column may come true.

Even worse, under Romanov, I fear Hearts are going to lurch from minor drama to minor drama until a breaking point arrives when a full-scale uprising occurs

Time will tell but in the meantime i will be right behind JJ and a bit more behind Romanov than i was.

Surely last chance saloon stuff for Romanov.

See, that's the point though Shaun. Your own post there is interesting, well-researched and thought-provoking (not that I agree with all your opinions by any means). Spiers' is nothing of the sort.

I'm not 'absurdly angry' by what he wrote, not even remotely angry - it's just dull. Sure, if you're an Old Firm fan, he writes some interesting stuff - but not about Hearts.

What my mate said.

Colonel Kurtz

A point of sartorial clarification,it was only the Desmond he sported.

I on the other hand had the suit,and it was more bottle green.

I shared a taxi back to town from Tynecastle with Speirs ,and our respective atiar was the subject of several tasteless comments from the vulgar element in our support

Not wishing to go all Trinny and Susannah,but the point about elbow patches is valid

Jambof3tornado

Good interesting stories about non old firm teams dont sell papers. I think Spiers is one of the better journos,but lets not forget that they are just that,journos.

The article was probably written in a hurry and I am sure of reflection isnt one of his best bits of work.

I'm pleased about the JJ appointment, because hope springs eternal.

However everything that Spiers says here is true, including the fact that the odds are against this working out (which isn't to say we can't hope that they will work out).

I'm glad that someone is pointing out the realities of the situation, and that has been posted on here, since I won't buy any Murdoch papers or even look at their stinking websites, and wouldn't see it otherwise.

Still alarming, but not surprising, to see that quite a few posters here have their heads in the sand. We can support JJ and hope for success, but we shouldn't be under any delusions about the situation at the club

Guest JamboRobbo

However everything that Spiers says here is true, including the fact that the odds are against this working out (which isn't to say we can't hope that they will work out).

I'm glad that someone is pointing out the realities of the situation, and that has been posted on here, since I won't buy any Murdoch papers or even look at their stinking websites, and wouldn't see it otherwise.

Still alarming, but not surprising, to see that quite a few posters here have their heads in the sand. We can support JJ and hope for success, but we shouldn't be under any delusions about the situation at the club

wot he said.

i agree.

I do think JJ coming to Hearts has really surprised the media, hence all these articles going on about why is he coming to Hearts, surely mad vlad will ruin it etc.

I'm delighted to see JJ back and pray to God he turns us back into a proper football team, but any Jambo who doesn't admit Spiers has a point about the very real potential for Romanov to **** it all up quick smart has his (or her) head in the sand up to their arse.

Got to agree with you mate, I'm so glad that Vlad has brought in JJ and I hope that it shows he's started to get a grip but hope is all it is as Vlads immense capacity to screw things up makes it impossible to think otherwise.

Francis Albert

Nothing in the article bothers me. Mildly amusing that after all that has happened to the UK (and in particular Scottish) banks he can trip out the old cliche about the machinations of a dodgy Lithuanian bank.

Brick Tamland

Surprised at Speirs with this as his journalism is usually a lot better and I don't think he has any love in with the uglies.

I think what has happened recently with Hearts is that we (HMFC) have decided not to share much, if anything at all, with them - Jefferies return and Barr signing the two most recent examples - and I think that really irks them.

We now choose to do all our good work and dirty work in private which is 100% fine by me. The downside of keeping private matters private is that it encourages the weegie media to throw their teddies out the pram and to make things up - how many 'exclusives' were there telling us how many clubs Wallace is signing for, and Driver signing for, and Jose signing for and Templeton signing for and further 'exclusives' saying that WGS was up looking at Zaliukas no it was Driver, no it was Wallace and so on for ever .....and in the wake of Csabas departure how many East Europeans/Lithuanian/Non Scottish/Non British managers were we linked with for the managers post and none of the weegie media having a sniff that we were talking to Jefferies, that must have really peshed them off.

A sign to me that we are doing the right things was the quote from the Falkirk chairman(?) that Hearts were impeccable in their negotiations with Falkirk and Darren Barr.

To me things look fairly clear and simple we work in private now and the weegie media make things up to suit their agenda hence why I never read any of the dross that they print. (I know the Times isn't a weegie media)

Guest JamboRobbo
You got sore fingers JR as thats possibly the shortest post I have ever seen from you??

nah, just knew if I said what he said, I'd get stick. cannie be arsed arguing with the usual numpties, so I left it short and sweet.

Please see above post!!

I disagree. There's a common theme running pretty much all Spiers' writing - especially his regular column in the Times - except when he's covering issues like sectarianism. That is: gentle, light hearted satire, not taking very much too seriously. And that's our problem in this case: we've taken a mere column, or if you like, a blog in a national newspaper, too seriously.

So when it came to Csaba, he gently mocked his interview style. As - Jesus H Tapdancing Christ! - we all did. Did he give Csaba credit though, especially after we'd finished 3rd and he won Manager of the Year? Sure he did. He didn't go way over the top in that, but was quite correct: Csaba did well, but had merely led the third best paid squad to 3rd place; he always had his limitations, as has been seen all too clearly this season. Compare and contrast his gentle musings with the character assassinations other hacks come up with: what I like about Spiers' writing is there's a warmth and genuine love of the game which shines through, unlike the weary cynicism of others.

In terms of him portraying Csaba as the good guy now: well, I go back to what I said about the statement announcing his exit. If those in charge of the club want to be portrayed more positively, they've got a funny way of showing it. That statement was crass and classless; and the impression it gives is of people who don't like free speech, and are obsessed with loyalty to an almost paranoid degree (while, er, simultaneously going behind the manager's back to line up his successor).

If we want the club to be reported more positively, we need to start walking the walk with results and performances on the pitch; and start understanding what decent PR involves. Romanov simply doesn't give a **** about it; and because he and his largely faceless board have all the power, the press focus on that, and not the good work that Campbell Ogilvie or, at times, Sergejus Fedotovas do. Now, if we made either Fedotovas or Ogilvie a very public CEO, that'd change quickly - but we haven't, have we?

Surprised at Speirs with this as his journalism is usually a lot better and I don't think he has any love in with the uglies.

I think what has happened recently with Hearts is that we (HMFC) have decided not to share much, if anything at all, with them - Jefferies return and Barr signing the two most recent examples - and I think that really irks them.

We now choose to do all our good work and dirty work in private which is 100% fine by me. The downside of keeping private matters private is that it encourages the weegie media to throw their teddies out the pram and to make things up - how many 'exclusives' were there telling us how many clubs Wallace is signing for, and Driver signing for, and Jose signing for and Templeton signing for and further 'exclusives' saying that WGS was up looking at Zaliukas no it was Driver, no it was Wallace and so on for ever .....and in the wake of Csabas departure how many East Europeans/Lithuanian/Non Scottish/Non British managers were we linked with for the managers post and none of the weegie media having a sniff that we were talking to Jefferies, that must have really peshed them off.

A sign to me that we are doing the right things was the quote from the Falkirk chairman(?) that Hearts were impeccable in their negotiations with Falkirk and Darren Barr.

To me things look fairly clear and simple we work in private now and the weegie media make things up to suit their agenda hence why I never read any of the dross that they print. (I know the Times isn't a weegie media)

Vlad must have found the spy in the camp. Maybe, he's sick of whats being written, hence both the deals of las week not seeing the light of day until they had occured.

Granted recent history would suggest it will all go breasts up ...........however could Spiers not have made the slightest effort to explore the alternate scenario - that it may actually work out and there may be some people on the board who actually intend for it to do so ?

I think Spiers is a decent journalist - the problem with Spiers (and most other west coast based journalists) writing about Hearts, is that they don't watch us play very often.

You see, football fans who watch the team week in, week out really do know best. With the exception of B Anderson in the EEN, there is not a journalist in Scotland who watches Hearts as regularly as many of us on here.

Season 1997-98 Hearts finished third in the league. Seven points behind the winners Celtic and five points behind runners up Rangers. Hearts also walked away with the Scottish Cup after beating Rangers 2-1 at Celtic Park.

Forward to season 2000-01 Hibs finished third in the league. Thirty three points behind winners Celtic and sixteen points behind runners up Rangers.

Hibs also reached the Scottish Cup final getting beat 3-0 by Celtic and only having one short on target from Mark Libre in the entire ninety minutes.

Alex McLeish was manager of Hibs at the time and the Scottish media couldnt stop fawning over him and wanting to have his babies.

Alex McLeish is a boy from Govan Glasgow and is Rangers daft

Jim Jefferies is from Lauder in the Scottish Borders and is Hearts daft.

You work out why McLeish got the better press.

John

Archived