Watching that yesteryear programme tonight-supporting Hearts when things were simple

Craigieboy

1987/88. Celtic won the league & knocked us out of the cup in the dying minutes of the semi.

But we were up there for a while & going along to Tynecastle to support the Jam Tarts seemed so easy. A number of crushing disapointments but a lot of very happy times.

No politics, just a group of mainly Scottish players playing the game & enjoying it.

Why is supporting Hearts nowadays so absolutely ****ing frustrating & unenjoyable?

Gods sake man.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1987/88. Celtic won the league & knocked us out of the cup in the dying minutes of the semi.

But we were up there for a while & going along to Tynecastle to support the Jam Tarts seemed so easy. A number of crushing disapointments but a lot of very happy times.

No politics, just a group of mainly Scottish players playing the game & enjoying it.

Why is supporting Hearts nowadays so absolutely ****ing frustrating & unenjoyable?

Gods sake man.

I was seven at the time and I remember being in tears as I watched that on Sportscene. Hated Celtic ever since.

I was seven at the time and I remember being in tears as I watched that on Sportscene. Hated Celtic ever since.

I was nine & I will never forget how 'mental' the Celtic end went when they scrored both goals.

Sickening. The year before it was St Mirren.

God, was I reminicing about how 'good' it was to be a Hearts fan back then?

:sad:

The 1988 Cup Semi was without doubt the second worst day of my life supporting Hearts. In some way perhaps even the worst. The journey back to London on the train with London Hearts was a horrible journey, well at least until we were all ****ed again.

Jambo in Bathgate
I was nine & I will never forget how 'mental' the Celtic end went when they scrored both goals.

Sickening. The year before it was St Mirren.

God, was I reminicing about how 'good' it was to be a Hearts fan back then?

:sad:

You haven't lived. I watched us in the the 1st Division twice. All Romanov has done has increased expectation. Until we have a bigger stadium than the other non OF clubs with regular European Matches nothing will change.We have to lklive within our finacioal means. 2005/2006 showed uae what c ould be. Lets move on.

Gods sake man.

5 Draws in a row either side of Christmas/New Year cost us that season

2-2 V Celtic (2-O up FFS)

1-1 V Motherwell

0-0 V Dundee

0-0 V Morton

0-0 v Hibs

Along with 97/98 and 05/06 (1st 6 months) best Hearts team in terms of playing football I have seen.

87/88

Hearts were a very good football team with a big support behind us.

2nd above Souness' Rangers.

But behind horrible sellik.

I still think Paul McStay's last minute goal made the difference.

Just like 85/86.

Buffalo Bill

Gods sake man.

Yes, normality, what the feck is that again? No internet to spread sheeite or constantly wonder what`s happening on the business side or who`s not trained today blah blah blha.

Gods sake man.

Nowadays as in the previous season and a half? I presume that to be the case because less than two seasons ago you were celebrating only the second Scottish cup victory of your lifetime. Were you not?

Very happy times.

Gods sake man.

Nowadays as in the previous season and a half? I presume that to be the case because less than two seasons ago you were celebrating only the second Scottish cup victory of your lifetime. Were you not?

Very happy times.

Gods sake man.

I think Stairboy is touching on the constant sheeite that goes on at the club BTR.

The goings on behind the scenes has consumed more of the fans thoughts that the team itself, that shouldn`t be happening.

I think Stairboy is touching on the constant sheeite that goes on at the club BTR.

The goings on behind the scenes has consumed more of the fans thoughts that the team itself, that shouldn`t be happening.

I know exactly what he is touching on.

The same very things were engulfing the club when Elvis lifted the Scottish cup less than 2 years ago however.

:)

That was my first game at Hampden and it was gutting. Celtic seemed to have a habit of doing that to us in many a game after that!

As for the game being simpler it was, but thats not just a Hearts thing every team has been transformed since those days. Then players would play years at the same club and have loyalty, it was about playing a rough game of football, now its just money and fame. The refs not allowing players to breath on the opposition has turned the game into a bit of a farce and the OF domination since those days has changed the whole face of Scottish football.

Still love it though maybe I just find it more frustrating now or maybe thats just because Im less tolerant and a grumpy old woman.

Stairboy is right in his sentiment.

87/88 was an example of how to at least 'challenge'.

It's better to be 'up there' than 'down there'!!

Bufalo Bill

Graham Thomson

i remember the game against celtic as if it was yesterday, Henry Smith, was never the same again, absolute nightmare, every ground in the league after that, he was met with chants of Henry Henry drop the ball...........

Yip, it's all about simplicity for me.

Simply put, Hearts won the cup in 98 & 06 with quality.

We will win **** all with this set up at the moment.

It sounds silly but some of you may realise where I am coming from, but I would give anything for a 1985/86 season next yaer.

i remember the game against celtic as if it was yesterday, Henry Smith, was never the same again, absolute nightmare, every ground in the league after that, he was met with chants of Henry Henry drop the ball...........

I beg to differ mate. That game was indeed a nightmare but Henry helped us out a number of times after 88.

All hail king Henry!

Hearts Heritage

Kenny Lightly who'd I'd been going to games with since the late 60s was journeying through Africa. He had a short wave radio and was listening to the World Service. They were covering 'live' the English Semis, remember those days when there was no live TV and the games all KO at 3. They went back to Hampden saying that Hearts were winning 1-0 going into injury time... then the radio faded out.

6 weeks later he was in Zimbabwe and he saw a sign 'Saturday 3PM Scottish Cup Final'. So turns up at the bar, of course there's no build up comes up

'Dundee United vs ....

Celtic'

He goes 'No, it's not Celtic its Hearts'.

For 6 weeks he thought Hearts were in the Final.

Only had to wait 11 years ....

sc12.jpg

Kenny Lightly who'd I'd been going to games with since the late 60s was journeying through Africa. He had a short wave radio and was listening to the World Service. They were covering 'live' the English Semis, remember those days when there was no live TV and the games all KO at 3. They went back to Hampden saying that Hearts were winning 1-0 going into injury time... then the radio faded out.

6 weeks later he was in Zimbabwe and he saw a sign 'Saturday 3PM Scottish Cup Final'. So turns up at the bar, of course there's no build up comes up

'Dundee United vs ....

Celtic'

He goes 'No, it's not Celtic its Hearts'.

For 6 weeks he thought Hearts were in the Final.

Only had to wait 11 years ....

sc12.jpg

Poor *******.

Archived