Players can have an off-day

ring-of-fire

Players can have an off-day; especially youngsters playing 2 games in the space of a few days. It happens, its not nice when it does but sometimes things just don't work on the pitch both individually and as a team. Its the nature of the beast that is football. However, what you do when you are having one of these days defines what kind of footballer, in-fact what kind of man you are. For me tonight confirmed what I had suspicions of; some of our players just don't have the back-bone to play for this great club: they hid, they gave in, they shirked tackles and they pointed the finger at the next man. The great saying "if you point your finger at someone there's three pointing back at you" (or words to those effect) springs to mind. I can take a defeat but what I saw tonight wasn't just a run of the mill defeat; it showed me something else.

Robinson, Smith and Stewart; the only three that actually put in the basic effort and desire that should be a given when you play for Heart of Midlothian Football Club. These boys didn't have the best of games (to put it mildly) but if we had 11 attitudes similar to the these 3 then I would have been accepting that I paid money to go watch that pile of crap.

Fans always say that they can accept a few misplaced passes if the players show the right amount of passion; today those in maroon were well short of this.

Archived