We've met Barr!

bighalders

won't sign anyone though

FALKIRK captain Darren Barr has met Hearts sport director Alexandr Metlitski for pre- contract talks as he continues exploring all options before deciding on his future.

The meeting was described as "positive" today by Barr's agent, Kevin Drinkell, although no formal contract offer has yet been made. Barr has also spoken with Hibernian, Aberdeen and Dundee but is known to favour a move to England, where he has severaADVERTISEMENTl options for a pre-contract agreement.

The 24-year-old becomes a free agent at the end of the season and has informed Eddie May, the Falkirk manager, that he will remain at the club until then but will not sign a contract extension. Hearts are keen to recruit one of Scotland's most promising defenders and are now considering whether to offer him a deal.

"Hearts made a courtesy call to Falkirk to let them know they intended to speak to Darren," explained Drinkell. "Falkirk informed us and Darren has now met with Hearts for an initial chat. It was a good opening gambit but that's all that has happened so far. Both sides are now considering their options before deciding on the next step."

As reported by the Evening News last week, Hearts have also held tentative discussions with the agent of Aberdeen striker Lee Miller as Metlitski analyses players available on pre-contract agreements.

Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo, meanwhile, has not abandoned hope of at least one new recruit arriving at Tynecastle during the current transfer window. "I must put all my energy in the actual squad which keeps this position," he said. "I could bring for you names ? five, six, seven, eight names ? but it doesn't help me, it doesn't help the club."

We might as well meet Van Nistelrooy,meeting players who are out of contract in the summer is good but do you think we will actually sign any of them,we have a technical director from the eastern block therfore I imagine there will be more players from that region wearing the maroon.

Imo barr is a little small for a c/half (especially in the spl).we will defo need a couple of decent defenders for next season as jose a Wallace will leave. It's a striker we need right now just to give the team and us supporters a little belief that we might just catch jobs and utd. Get it sorted Vlad.

Csaba's Broon Shoes

We wont sign him even if we lose 3 centre halfs @ the end of the season

Ryan McGowan will soon be fast-tracked into the team , saving us loads

He seems a total whore! I don't give a **** who he signs for

How? For trying to progress his career? Type of player we should be looking at and a move that would make sense for him and us. All being well he raises his game and profile, we get a good few seasons out him and sell him on for a tidy sum and he plays regularly and improves rather than warming the bench at a low-end Championship side.

Having said that, there's no chance we'll be able to match Championship wages.

Why are we trying to sign Darren Barr?

I don't understand.

Our two first choice centre halfs are out of contract in July and December respectively. One of those is almost certainly not going to stay. Our other centre halfs are either mince, needed to play in other positions or out on loan.

Signing Barr would be a good bit of forward planning IMO. Understand now ?

PresidentRomanov
Our two first choice centre halfs are out of contract in July and December respectively. One of those is almost certainly not going to stay. Our other centre halfs are either mince, needed to play in other positions or out on loan.

What's Hearts' forward planning got to do with you, you're planning to turn your back on the club next season?

Signing Barr would be a good bit of forward planning IMO.

Barr is vastly over rated so we should steer well clear.

Charlie-Brown

Darren Barr is a reasonable target to pursue and if we sign him then fine but also if we don't sign him then i'm not too worried even if he signs for an English or another SPL club.

I'd be more than happy to see Ryan McGowan, Matty Park & Conrad Balatoni get their chances - we have to show loyalty to our own players first and foremost.

winston churchill
The bonus with Bouzid is that unlike Zaliukas, Bouzid has a first touch.

which is a body check or a waist high hung fu kick.

I find it unbelievable that Hearts fans think we shouldn't try to sign Barr for free.

People's opinions on his personality shouldn't come into it. Given that by this time next year our central defence could theoretically consist of only Bouzid and McGowan, one of whom has yet to convince me he can actually cut it at the top end of the SPL and another who has yet to play in the SPL, I can't believe some fans don't want to sign a 24 year old, internationally capped centre half.

Given the pedigree of Csaba's signing and Vlad's unwillingness to pay for players can anyone put forward a better option?

I can't believe some fans don't want to sign a 24 year old, internationally capped centre half.

The international cap is for Scotland who are totally gash. Consequently it means nothing in terms of Barr's quality.

Darren Barr is a reasonable target to pursue and if we sign him then fine but also if we don't sign him then i'm not too worried even if he signs for an English or another SPL club.

I'd be more than happy to see Ryan McGowan, Matty Park & Conrad Balatoni get their chances - we have to show loyalty to our own players first and foremost.

Stuff loyalty. None of those players will give Hearts a second thought in a couple of years if and when other clubs come calling.

I'm not that bothered about Barr but he is more ready for first team SPL football than any of the ones above and we've got to have some semblance of experience about the team or young laddies like McGowan, Balatoni and Park will sink without trace IMO

Barr and McGowan might well be the future but its got to be done right.

Charlie-Brown
Stuff loyalty. None of those players will give Hearts a second thought in a couple of years if and when other clubs come calling.

I'm not that bothered about Barr but he is more ready for first team SPL football than any of the ones above and we've got to have some semblance of experience about the team or young laddies like McGowan, Balatoni and Park will sink without trace IMO

It probably won't sit well with some of our traditionalists but i'd rather we signed Darren O'Dea from Celtic than Darren Barr as i think he is a better player.

The international cap is for Scotland who are totally gash. Consequently it means nothing in terms of Barr's quality.

On the contrary, it means he's one of a group of Scottish centre halfs considered amongst the best around.

It doesnt matter a jot if he's gash in global terms or if Scotland are gash, the fact that he has been capped, strongly suggests he's good enough to improve a mid table SPL side (thats us by the way)

i'd rather we signed Darren O'Dea from Celtic

He's absolutely pesh. Heart of Midlothian FC know this so he will be nowhere near Tynecastle.

On the contrary, it means he's one of a group of Scottish centre halfs considered amongst the best around.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PresidentRomanov

Bit liike some of our supporters then :wacko:

No.

If we are going to be losing centre halves then I would much prefer us to replace them with new players who will enhance our first team.

Not that total fairy, who is vastly overrated and has spent the vast majority of his career in a team that is battling against relegation more often than not.

If Darren Barr was good enough for HMFC he would have left Falkirk long ago.

It probably won't sit well with some of our traditionalists but i'd rather we signed Darren O'Dea from Celtic than Darren Barr as i think he is a better player.

Stuff the traditionalists. Thats a good shout. Although I think its fair to say Celtic have wasted him and he'll probably be good enough to go to a middle or upper championship side.

No.

If we are going to be losing centre halves then I would much prefer us to replace them with new players who will enhance our first team.

Not that total fairy, who is vastly overrated and spent the vast majority of his career in a team that is battling against relegation more often than not.

If Darren Barr was good enough for HMFC he would have left Falkirk long ago.

Can you give an example who is available, realistic as a signing target, and good enough ?

Can you give an example who is available, realistic as a signing target, and good enough ?

No, I can't.

That's not my job is it?

If we are signing squad players then aye, maybe Darren Barr is our man.

However, in our current financial situation, which I don't think is very good, we should only be signing players who will enhance our first team.

Zaliukas, Goncalves, Aguiar, Karipidis, Ruben.

How many of them could you have identified as realistic and available before we signed them?

However, in our current financial situation, which I don't think is very good, we should only be signing players who will enhance our first team.

How many of them could you have identified as realistic and available before we signed them?

Well none of them to be honest, but the signing goalposts, in terms of what we're looking for and what we can afford, have changed a bit since the last of those came in and signing players on 3k a week isnt as sure a thing as signing players on 6k a week ( which at least 3 of the above were on)

Give me 6k a week per man and even I could make a pretty decent Hearts team. Cut it down to 3k a week and I might struggle a bit and have to take the odd gamble

I think that Barr is a decent defender, though he cannot dominate in the air as he lacks height.

If we were to sign him we would require a centre half with heading ability to play beside him.

Barr reminds me of Pressley before we signed him - a lightweight fairly short centre half with a great attitude and competitive character.

No, I can't.

That's not my job is it?

If we are signing squad players then aye, maybe Darren Barr is our man.

Lasith

I'm not sure what you are getting at. We don't have money, but look we what we could unearth some gems in the transfer market as we have done previously.

This is only hearsay, but I reckon the players above were on ?1.5k; ?12k;?8k;?10k;?6k. - per week

Thanks for 1 3rd place (and I appreciate Jose and Bruno's parts in our Scottish Cup success) but certainly not the type of players I think going forward are realistic, and I certainly hope not available.

I don't know who, but I'm sure there are hundreds of players out there on lesser wages, who are more suited to us giving a right good crack at, at least 3rd every year.

PS - Never thought I'd say this but Zaliukas doesn't half look good value for money

portobellojambo1
It could just be clever bargaining tactics by his agent but every article we read about Barr suggests his preference is to move to England so I'm not holding out any expectations on signing him .....as an alternative I quite liked the look of the Dunfermline centre back Neil McGregor when we played them in the CIS Cup.

Indeed.

Why are we trying to sign Darren Barr?

I don't understand.

He comes free,thats the reason i reckon we're in for him. I think we could do worse than him.

"Hearts made a courtesy call to Falkirk to let them know they intended to speak to Darren,"

Good to see us being courteous and doing things in the correct manner.

Courteous perhaps, but correct manner ?

Hearts are entitled to talk to Barr about the prospect of employment when his current contract expires. At this point he will no longer be employed by Falkirk....so it has nothing to do with them.

If you were to speak to a potential employer before handing in your notice and serving your contractual notice period, would you expect them to talk to your present employer?... no thought not.:527:

Hearts are entitled to talk to Barr about the prospect of employment when his current contract expires. At this point he will no longer be employed by Falkirk....so it has nothing to do with them.

If you were to speak to a potential employer before handing in your notice and serving your contractual notice period, would you expect them to talk to your present employer?... no thought not.:527:

You want to diss someone for bein courteous?

john brownlee
I am prob in the minority who like Bouzid, and think he has came onto a game following a shakey start...for anyone to say he is terrible in the air is beyond me, he wins just about every single header he goes in for and unlike at the start of the season, now he doesn't foul people when doing so.

Cult hero in the making imo.

I love him

I'm sure he would stick the heid on a nuclear bomb

and then kick the aftermath

Magic Numbers

TBH I prefer the nippy wee bassa that plays alongside Barr...Tom Scabby or something!!! Both of them would appear decent enough SQUAD players.

isnt barr able to talk to clubs now as in a future move come the summer.

yet hearts approach his club telling them of there intentions regarding speaking with there player and yet you see that as something other than courteous?

hmmmmmm...

isnt barr able to talk to clubs now as in a future move come the summer.

yet hearts approach his club telling them of there intentions regarding speaking with there player and yet you see that as something other than courteous?

hmmmmmm...

There was a suggestion on the BBC Scotland news today (quoting Eddie May) that an SPL club had offered a couple of players on loan for the rest of the season in exchange for Barr - maybe sounds like the sort of business that we might be interested in doing!!

There was a suggestion on the BBC Scotland news today (quoting Eddie May) that an SPL club had offered a couple of players on loan for the rest of the season in exchange for Barr - maybe sounds like the sort of business that we might be interested in doing!!

when i first read it for some reason i immeadiately thought aberdeen... dunno why?

when i first read it for some reason i immeadiately thought aberdeen... dunno why?

I thought of the wee team too - I know that Hughes is desperate to get rid of Rankin and a few others.

jamboinglasgow

doubt it would be Aberdeen, they hardly have any players to spare. Unsure who Hearts would offer unless it is a couple of the reserves.

You want to diss someone for bein courteous?

Nope courteous is good, I was pointing out there was no need to talk to Falkirk, as they are not in the equation.

Barr is vastly over rated so we should steer well clear.

Such is the standard of the SPL, you could probably say that for almost anyone playing in it. I think you should tell us who exactly you consider good enough for Heart of Midlothian FC - and who you think we are in the football world beyond that. It's confusing enough that you clearly regard us as totally indebted to the man propping us up, and castigate any fans unhappy if we're 6th or 7th with reminders of your "intestinal fortitude": all that suggests you can't have any real expectations of the club. When you contradict yourself by deriding Scotland internationals, it leaves me wondering exactly what you want.

Incidentally - at all football levels below the very elite (and by very elite, I mean the top of the strongest leagues in Europe), average players turn into very good, effective ones under good managers. Good management and team building are what it's all about: not risibly dismissing a decent SPL player as "not Hearts class".

Nope courteous is good, I was pointing out there was no need to talk to Falkirk, as they are not in the equation.

I think thats where the courteousy comes in tho.

Lasith

I'm not sure what you are getting at. We don't have money, but look we what we could unearth some gems in the transfer market as we have done previously.

This is only hearsay, but I reckon the players above were on ?1.5k; ?12k;?8k;?10k;?6k. - per week

Thanks for 1 3rd place (and I appreciate Jose and Bruno's parts in our Scottish Cup success) but certainly not the type of players I think going forward are realistic, and I certainly hope not available.

I don't know who, but I'm sure there are hundreds of players out there on lesser wages, who are more suited to us giving a right good crack at, at least 3rd every year.

PS - Never thought I'd say this but Zaliukas doesn't half look good value for money

I'll explain.

At the time these players were signed they were within the budget, rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly.

Going back further than them we signed good enough players who were within the budget, which was less, who we had never heard of.

I agree entirely with your third paragraph, I'd rather we targeted these players, rather than the likes of Darren Barr, who IMO is not good enough to play for HMFC.

Hope this helps.

Archived