We've met Barr!

bighalders

won't sign anyone though

FALKIRK captain Darren Barr has met Hearts sport director Alexandr Metlitski for pre- contract talks as he continues exploring all options before deciding on his future.

The meeting was described as "positive" today by Barr's agent, Kevin Drinkell, although no formal contract offer has yet been made. Barr has also spoken with Hibernian, Aberdeen and Dundee but is known to favour a move to England, where he has severaADVERTISEMENTl options for a pre-contract agreement.

The 24-year-old becomes a free agent at the end of the season and has informed Eddie May, the Falkirk manager, that he will remain at the club until then but will not sign a contract extension. Hearts are keen to recruit one of Scotland's most promising defenders and are now considering whether to offer him a deal.

"Hearts made a courtesy call to Falkirk to let them know they intended to speak to Darren," explained Drinkell. "Falkirk informed us and Darren has now met with Hearts for an initial chat. It was a good opening gambit but that's all that has happened so far. Both sides are now considering their options before deciding on the next step."

As reported by the Evening News last week, Hearts have also held tentative discussions with the agent of Aberdeen striker Lee Miller as Metlitski analyses players available on pre-contract agreements.

Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo, meanwhile, has not abandoned hope of at least one new recruit arriving at Tynecastle during the current transfer window. "I must put all my energy in the actual squad which keeps this position," he said. "I could bring for you names ? five, six, seven, eight names ? but it doesn't help me, it doesn't help the club."

Dean Winchester
Barr has made it clear he wants to go South. WE won't get him, and I doubt any other SPL team will!

Couldn't care less, TBH. I reckon defence is the least of our worries at the moment (and for some time!).

"Hearts made a courtesy call to Falkirk to let them know they intended to speak to Darren,"

Good to see us being courteous and doing things in the correct manner.

The People's Chimp

The last time I heard about Kevin Drinkell there was a concerted JKB campaign to fire abuse and complaints to the gimp as he was writing in some local rag "the stirling advertiser" or some similar pesh.

Why are we trying to sign Darren Barr?

I don't understand.

1) Goncalves will be away in the summer

2) Bouzid and Kucharksi are rotten.

3) Zaliukas is only contracted for another year.

We don't have all that many options.

I don't understand.

These are the reasons I can think of.

only 24.

Good defender with good potential. (imo)

Potential resale value for profit.

Jose is leaving

Bouzid is mince

Zal is injury prone.

Feel bad for Ryan Mcgowan though. Is he on loan all season?

Barr has made it clear he wants to go South. WE won't get him, and I doubt any other SPL team will!

If thats the case why speak to scottish clubs? Im sure every player worth their salt will have the ambition of playing in the epl. The decision is if its easier to play in the championship for a club with ambitions and the money to get into the top flight or play for another Scottish club bigger than Falkirk with eruopean football an ambition rather than just avoiding relegation. Example of this could be Ross Mccormack at Cardiff. This will be his second season in championship and i think he was spent most of season on bench. Its a big gamble and i would think its a case of keeping all options open.

If we do lose Jose and wallace then surely replacing the defence with good scottish talent can only be a plus point?

Drylaw Hearts

I don't understand.

Because there is a chance 3 CH's could leave in the summer ; Zaliukas, Goncalves and Kucharski.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Disagree with that.

Bouzid has come into his own in recent weeks and is developing a very solid understanding with both Jose and Zal.

Why do we want to sign this arsehole

He seems a total whore! I don't give a **** who he signs for

These are the reasons I can think of.

only 24.

Good defender with good potential. (imo)

Potential resale value for profit.

Jose is leaving

Bouzid is mince

Zal is injury prone.

Feel bad for Ryan Mcgowan though. Is he on loan all season?[/QUOTE]

Yes he is, there was a half decent article in EEN yesterday with McGowan detailing his situ, Bazza Anderson all but sucked the lad off.

reckon there could be a good shout for ryan mcgowan next season as he has been doing very well for ayr utd by all accounts

Disagree with that.

Bouzid has come into his own in recent weeks and is developing a very solid understanding with both Jose and Zal.

Bouzid is an absolute liability.

Terrible in the air, positionally all over the place, and is towing a caravan.

Drylaw Hearts
Disagree with that.

He was absolutely horrendous at Pittodrie.

Infact....he was probably worse than that.

Drylaw Hearts

Yep.

No Hearts fan with an ounce of common sense should be remotely disappointed by us speaking to Barr.

For years now people have moaned and moaned about 3rd and 4th rate players coming here from Lithunania and eastern europe.

Now we are looking at signing a relatively young Scottish player with proven SPL experience and some people are still moaning.

Jose will be away in the summer or sooner and so will Zal in all likelihood. Speaking to/negotiating with Barr is, in my opinion, a very good thing for Hearts and maybe heralds the start of more targetted and sensible signing policy.

Oh and he's actually quite a good player too!

snap!

1) Goncalves will be away in the summer.

When Goncalves leaves we will be left with Kucharski, Zaliukas and Bouzid.

I know JKB is literally split down the middle on Bouzid, but I think he's been one of our better performers of late, and could comfortably be one of our first choice centre halves on recent form.

With McGowan to come back from loan aswell, I reckon we will be fine.

Also, if we are going to sign a centre half, would it not be better to sign someone who will actually enhance the first team, instead of some bottom half SPL, overrated fairy?

Disagree with that.

He's average at best....

No Hearts fan with an ounce of common sense should be remotely disappointed by us speaking to Barr.

For years now people have moaned and moaned about 3rd and 4th rate players coming here from Lithunania and eastern europe.

Now we are looking at signing a relatively young Scottish player with proven SPL experience and some people are still moaning.

Jose will be away in the summer or sooner and so will Zal in all likelihood. Speaking to/negotiating with Barr is, in my opinion, a very good thing for Hearts and maybe heralds the start of more targetted and sensible signing policy.

Common sense post, imo.

Good post

Barr woud be a great addition to our squad plus on reasonable wages

He would settle in straight away plus a good sell on fee could be possible

He is just as good as Jose and Zal and wont have a three years settling in period

Barr is a good target for us IMO but don't think Erse will allow anyone to be signed, which is why I don't understand the appointment of another sports director

And that's including the huge improvement from his initial performances.

A signing like Barr is, for me, a priority in the summer and I'm surprised that so many don't seem to agree.

And that's including the huge improvement from his initial performances.

A signing like Barr is, for me, a priority in the summer and I'm surprised that so many don't seem to agree.

It is baffling in all honesty.

Barr would be a good addition to our side, and to say otherwise is very blinkered.

Couldn't care less, TBH. I reckon defence is the least of our worries at the moment (and for some time!).

And Barr is vastly overrated.

Didn't we also meet with Izale McLeod and Steven MacLean, btw? Meetings mean nothing at HMFC. To use the old adage: I'll only believe it when I see a scarf above his head (and even then I'll be skeptical).

Charlie-Brown

It could just be clever bargaining tactics by his agent but every article we read about Barr suggests his preference is to move to England so I'm not holding out any expectations on signing him .....as an alternative I quite liked the look of the Dunfermline centre back Neil McGregor when we played them in the CIS Cup.

Guest JamboRobbo

Agreed. Exactly the sort of players we should be in for. Just like we should've been in for the likes of MacDonald or Boyd in the past, and just like now, there were people back then claiming MacDonald "isn't hearts class" etc etc.

If we have Zaliukas, McGowan and Barr as our main central defensive options next season then il be a happy man

I dont rate him so wont be disappointed when he goes down south and chases money in the championship. I'l also never forget the furore over his so called 'innocence' in the 'good honest scottish laddie' crap when he tried to stick the nut on velicka and correctly got sent off. The reaction from him and then Falkirk boss John Hughes still rankles with me.

If we have Zaliukas, McGowan and Barr as our main central defensive options next season then il be a happy man

I just don't think big Zal will be here next season. Prob off to some Bundesliga 2nd div side for a couple of hundred thousand.

I'd like him to stay but he's been talking about moving for a while now and i think it will happen sooner or later.

Charlie-Brown

The article says we haven't made any formal contract offer for the player yet so unless/until that changes we won't be signing him.

Guest JamboRobbo
The article says we haven't made any formal contract offer for the player yet so unless/until that changes we won't be signing him.

In other news, it's been claimed that we won't get a result from tomorrows match until after the game has been played. Shocking so it is.

HillmanHearts
Has anyone called Bouzid a bombscare yet?

Yes they have.

It's generally by the guys who used to say Zal was a bombscare.

Zal has since proved them to be very short sited - so they have moved on to Bouzid because he has had quite a tough settling in period.

IMO Bouzid may well turn out be a really good Hearts player.

Barr on the other hand is an average Joe who looks half decent in the current Falkirk team.

Drylaw Hearts
In other news, it's been claimed that we won't get a result from tomorrows match until after the game has been played. Shocking so it is.

CB does love to state the obvious !!

It's telling I think that we appear to be concentrating our efforts on discussing pre-contract agreements with players who might join us in the summer, rather than loan or contract agreements with players who are prepared to join us before the end of the month. :527:

Guest JamboRobbo
It's telling I think that we appear to be concentrating our efforts on discussing pre-contract agreements with players who might join us in the summer, rather than loan or contract agreements with players who are prepared to join us before the end of the month. :527:

I agree, but at the same time, it's a sensible long term strategy, and a sensible long term strategy is the way forward.

It's just having the faith that we'll actually follow through with this and sign these players ahead of some diddy Vlad fancies from championship manager that is my doubt. But I live in hope. :biggrin:

I am prob in the minority who like Bouzid, and think he has came onto a game following a shakey start...for anyone to say he is terrible in the air is beyond me, he wins just about every single header he goes in for and unlike at the start of the season, now he doesn't foul people when doing so.

Cult hero in the making imo.

Sensible, imo.

I am prob in the minority who like Bouzid, and think he has came onto a game following a shakey start...for anyone to say he is terrible in the air is beyond me, he wins just about every single header he goes in for and unlike at the start of the season, now he doesn't foul people when doing so.

I quite like the big fella too and I just think it's taken him longer than we might have expected to settle in.

I saw him in pre-season and in those relatively uncompetitive games I thought he looked decent. Mind you, I also thought Suso looked decent..........:wacko:

Can't believe some of the comments about Bouzid. In the last 6 league games we've conceded 2 goals, not to mention the one he scored against Celtic. We couldn't have done that with a bombscare at the heart of the defence.

I'm also in the minority then, I like him. Yes he makes mistakes, (so do i), but he never shirks his responsibilities IMO. Would love to see him follow up Celtic goal with another at Ibrox tomorrow. Only one problem if he does, when they are next due at Tynie the pre-match headline will be .............Bouzid wanted by Rangers, or I supported them as a boy. You get my drift i'm sure. What a nice problem it could turn out to be though :biggrin:

Guest JamboRobbo

Agree he is beginning to prove he can play. Was concerned he wasn't really getting up to speed, but he has been doing a lot better of late. Has always been clear he can play (i.e. has a first touch and can see a pass), just felt for a defender, he was being caught out of position way too often and wasn't learning quick enough. Was also very rash in the tackle at times.

Bouzid has looked a decent player with some bombscare elements. Like Zaliukas was and Zaliukas is now one of our most vital players.

He probably had his best game at right back recently mind you :)

That being said, Barr would be a shrewd signing. He is a decent Scottish player who has not peaked yet.

He could end up being a great player over a number of seasons. Similarly he could also be a very sellable asset after a couple of seasons.

Chad Sexington
Agree he is beginning to prove he can play. Was concerned he wasn't really getting up to speed, but he has been doing a lot better of late. Has always been clear he can play (i.e. has a first touch and can see a pass), just felt for a defender, he was being caught out of position way too often and wasn't learning quick enough. Was also very rash in the tackle at times.

That's my biggest concern with him.

I sometimes find myself watching him through the cracks in my fingers as another wild lunge is made.

He has improved lately though and his winner against the mhanks definitely bought him some goodwill. :biggrin:

Guest JamboRobbo
Bouzid has looked a decent player with some bombscare elements. Like Zaliukas was and Zaliukas is now one of our most vital players.

The bonus with Bouzid is that unlike Zaliukas, Bouzid has a first touch.

Archived