Where is this?

jambogaz1968

Mark_Mywords
1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

Duddingston Kirk, to be more precise?

That's the answer I'm looking for!  Nice find Wee Mikey.  Have a point!  :thumbsup: 

1 minute ago, Mark_Mywords said:

That's the answer I'm looking for!  Nice find Wee Mikey.  Have a point!  :thumbsup: 

We were all homing in on it. 😎

I should've recognised your tower clue

Screenshot_20230719_152141_Google.jpg

Lone Striker

Well done Mark - great puzzle setting, and drip-feeding clues which had me just as lost until   the loch.

I was in Google Street view all last night looking for that fecking gate !!  😄

Well done, Wee Mikey - you're good at this !! 

Edited by Lone Striker

Fun fact(s) ...

Way back in 1969, Dr Neil was my family doctor. If anyone has missed out on this gem of a place (Dr Neil's Garden), then it's well worth a visit. Right next to the Kirk.

Back in the mid '70's, The Sheep Heid Inn was where all the under-age reprobates from Porty High went to meet up with teachers for boozing sessions ... something that ye'd never get away with these days ... more's the pity. 😝

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Well done Mark - great puzzle setting, and drip-feeding clues which had me just as lost until   the loch.

I was in Google Street view all last night looking for that fecking gate !!

I thank you, kind sir. 🫡 And, yes, Mark picked a tricky one that had heaps of good suggested answers.

This one had me scratching my head also whilst thinking, "That looks really familiar.

It never ceases to amaze me that there's always somebody who has been wherever 'there' is in these posts.

I've posted some that I honestly thought were tough 'uns only for someone to come up with the answer in double quick time.

The one I got quickly a few pages back (RSPB, Loch Leven) was like, "I've been there!!!" - at last, my RSPB membership came in useful. 😁

Mark_Mywords
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

I was in Google Street view all last night looking for that fecking gate !!  😄

:D 

57 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Fun fact(s) ...

Way back in 1969, Dr Neil was my family doctor. If anyone has missed out on this gem of a place (Dr Neil's Garden), then it's well worth a visit. Right next to the Kirk.

Back in the mid '70's, The Sheep Heid Inn was where all the under-age reprobates from Porty High went to meet up with teachers for boozing sessions ... something that ye'd never get away with these days ... more's the pity. 😝

:thumbsup: 

56 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

The very one. :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, H2 said:

T324.thumb.jpg.c0eb937f229a548c6b6f92aeb9d32602.jpg

Where is this?(sorry for the poor quality, a phone picture

In the foothills of the Pentlands?

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, H2 said:

T324.thumb.jpg.c0eb937f229a548c6b6f92aeb9d32602.jpg

Where is this?(sorry for the poor quality, a phone picture

Looks like Torduff Road on the way down from the reservoir.

Edited by Footballfirst

7 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Torduff Reservoir Filtering System.

I meant 'Cistern'

Screenshot_20230719_174348_Google.jpg

Edited by Wee Mikey

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Derelict building 1.woodhead.jpg.a9971e3c6b41e0709ef8af8f87945634.jpg

Looks like a gate lodge, the Drum?

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Looks like a gate lodge, the Drum?

Nope. It's always been detached from anywhere else.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Derelict building 2 (clue - it has since been demolished)

dreghorn.jpg.d5d84f2b60fa36b291995663db21448d.jpg

The tiles look like it's in East Lothian or Fife.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

Auchendinny?

The tiles look like it's in East Lothian or Fife.

Nope. Closer to the capital.

Just now, Footballfirst said:

No. Even closer to the city.

New stand at Fester Rd?

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Mortonhall?

You're getting closer.

Edit: It was demolished in 2008 if that helps 😀

Edited by Footballfirst

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You're getting closer.

Edit: It was demolished in 2008 if that helps 😀

In the grounds of Prestonfield House?

28 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Derelict building 2 (clue - it has since been demolished)

dreghorn.jpg.d5d84f2b60fa36b291995663db21448d.jpg

Beside the bypass at Dreghorn?

Footballfirst
Just now, JKB Member C said:

Beside the bypass at Dreghorn?

That's the one. Well done.

It's Dreghorn Mains Farm. The cleared site is now used as a base by the army for their manoeuvres on the hills.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

It's Dreghorn Mains Farm. The cleared site is now used as a base by the army for their manoeuvres on the hills.

I was flapping and would never have got that ... but I'm sure that you can see what me & others were thinking.

This is so much better than the transfer thread.

😁

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

:653:

I think the army were using the buildings before they were demoished.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I was flapping and would never have got that ... but I'm sure that you can see what me & others were thinking.

This is so much better than the transfer thread.

😁

One farmhouse looks much like another so it wasn't easy, but with the number of people viewing the thread there's always someone who will know it or have walked past it (as I have many times). 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

:653:

I think the army were using the buildings before they were demoished.

Yes. I'd seen them there while the buildings were still standing, but they seem to be there more frequently now.

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Fun fact(s) ...

Some of those teachers would get locked up now. But you are right the Sheep Heid was the place to start your drinking career. The elder Herbertson brother worked there for a spell too and had some stories to tell back in the day.....

22 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Dead easy if you hit the "search Google for this image" tab. Sorry

That ☝️is beyond my ken. I've never seen that tab ... maybe not visible on my phone and honestly (😉) wouldn't use it for this thread as flapping about is all part of the fun.

16 hours ago, Mark_Mywords said:

Fair enough mate.  :thumbsup: I suppose it must be very tempting to use.  It's just frustrating at times as we spend ages trying to find a particular location, looking at hundreds of places, just for someone to come a long and do a reverse image search.

I once posted a photo (not on this thread) and someone came back and identified where I'd taken the photo from.

They used the 'reverse image search' thing that you mention. The thing is this: I posted a photo taken on my own phone ... not a 'stock image', or whatever. And yet my location was picked up as if by magic.

How is that even possible?

A simple explanation of that 'reverse image' thingy would be good ... if anyone can enlighten an old fogey. 😁

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

That ☝️is beyond my ken. I've never seen that tab ... maybe not visible on my phone and honestly (😉) wouldn't use it for this thread as flapping about is all part of the fun.

I once posted a photo (not on this thread) and someone came back and identified where I'd taken the photo from.

They used the 'reverse image search' thing that you mention. The thing is this: I posted a photo taken on my own phone ... not a 'stock image', or whatever. And yet my location was picked up as if by magic.

How is that even possible?

A simple explanation of that 'reverse image' thingy would be good ... if anyone can enlighten an old fogey. 😁

If you are on a desktop or laptop, right click your mouse and select "search image with Google". The search engine just looks for similar images on the web.  If the photo you took yourself was similar to one already on the web then the search may identify the location and also provide some narrative as to where it was taken from.

If you are on your phone (android in my case) just click on the image and select "Search image with Google Lens". It's that simple.

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If you are on a desktop or laptop, right click your mouse and select "search image with Google". The search engine just looks for similar images on the web.  If the photo you took yourself was similar to one already on the web then the search may identify the location and also provide some narrative as to where it was taken from.

If you are on your phone (android in my case) just click on the image and select "Search image with Google Lens". It's that simple.

I don't get that option on the menus.

14 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Some of those teachers would get locked up now. But you are right the Sheep Heid was the place to start your drinking career. The elder Herbertson brother worked there for a spell too and had some stories to tell back in the day.....

For those 'In the know' the Abbotsford in Rose St was the 'next step up' for illicit rendezvous with pissed-up teachers.

My lips are sealed. 😝

I don't get that option on the menus.

Neither do I.

Och, I'm happy just relying on my own faulty memory. It's more fun.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Mark_Mywords said:

What building was this pic taken from?

image.png.723183688f765cd558bc3d0671ef4cfc.png

The flour mill in Leith?