Well done Midlothian Council

Beats

Miller Jambo 60
Who are you likes to come on our forum.

Another Hobo me thinks.

Watch or i will get my snake on you.

You wont like him.

Might have got that wrong sorry.

What do you think it means? do you work on a farm?

what's it to you, I think the weather of the past while has justified why some people may have them

as it is my super Punto does the job for me just fine but my fiance's mum has a Beemer X3/5 which has been a god send to her, and no she doesn't work on a farm either

The council in Aberdeen is having the same problems as Edinburgh.

There is only a limited supply of grit left and they have no cash to buy it in so they are pretty much rubber ducked.

Was going to drive back down to Edinburgh on Monday but I think I might just tuff it out in Aberdeen for the week.

Fife Council were down to a limited amount a week or 2 ago, not sure if they have been supplied with more. It came to a point where they were mixing the grit with sand, unfortunately someone got the mixture wrong and as soon as it went on the road it just turned ice!

Ha ha what a life eh?

living in the city centre i see absolutely no need for a 4x4 to ferry kids a couple of hundred yards to school, but knowing where blondie comes from, i think your sarcasm is a wee bit inappropriate

and i say that like she needs me to defend her lol

not been near dalkeith/mayfield in ages but i have the memory of what it used to be like, especially having had a practice "barn" in a field with me old band lol.

sounds like a real nightmare out there again

Guest juvehearts

I had to ditch the car at the in-laws up at the top of hyvots. the snow is sooooo bad. couldnt move it.

so i left the wife & daughter at the mum's house. & away to my mates at southouse, staying here tonight then heading to the game from here :D

kannae wait - hope it's on lol

John Gentleman

Thank crivvens I live in Adelaide - a balmy 28 degrees today.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The problem is that local authorities don't budget for a really nasty winter - the North Atlantic Drift (aka Gulf Stream) usually keeps Scotland insulated, but occasionally a big frontal cold system from the continent just sets in and the wet, windy but mild Sou'westerlie fronts are 'locked out'. Thus, the councils they are 'caught out' As an example, Moscow doesn't come to a halt each winter - that's because their infrastructure is designed to cope with very predictable winters.

I've only experienced it once in my lifetime - I think it was '64 or '65 (please correct me if I'm wrong), when the whole of Scotland went frigid for about four months. The native birds were, literally, freezing to death on their perches and fallling to the ground. Not nice, but ice skating and sledging on the deeply frozen Linlithgow Loch were something of a novelty.

The global climate is certainly changing, but is this just part of a natural cycle or induced by our species? I'm sitting on the fence on that one. Crikey, we had an Ice Age - and there wasn't billions of us around at that time!

blondejamtart

I understand the first few months of 1963 were really bad - I was born in the March, and they took my mother into Simpsons several weeks early because she was booked in for a Caesarean and they feared the ambulance wouldn't be able to get out to Gorebridge to collect her if she went into labour. She told me the snow was really really bad that winter.

I understand the first few months of 1963 were really bad - I was born in the March, and they took my mother into Simpsons several weeks early because she was booked in for a Caesarean and they feared the ambulance wouldn't be able to get out to Gorebridge to collect her if she went into labour. She told me the snow was really really bad that winter.

Christ, you'll be claiming there's ski-ing in Gorebridge next.

'Welcome to Gorebridge - Scotland's alpine resort' :cool_shades:

blondejamtart

Looking out my kitchen window right now, I reckon skis would probably be the easiest way to get around!

Anyway, roads looking a lot better now - steady stream of gritters going back and forward from the depot up the road.

Looking out my kitchen window right now, I reckon skis would probably be the easiest way to get around!

Anyway, roads looking a lot better now - steady stream of gritters going back and forward from the depot up the road.

Send them down to Bonnyrigg then...our need is greater. :thumb:

Ps from an insider west Lothian council actually sold

grit to network rail in mid December as they didn't think they'd need it

This is not true, WLC made sure they had a supply of grit to last threw some bad weather but as this has been a nation wide problem for such a length of time grit was running out. WLC got a suppl y of grit on 30th. The problem WLC have is they decided not to grit schemes when we had a lull in the snow so it just build up when we got hit again. Oh & the buggered up re-supplying grit bins!

P.S. Am not kissin the behind of WLC as they have made major mistakes & someone needs to be held account!

John Gentleman
P.S. Am not kissin the behind of WLC as they have made major mistakes & someone needs to be held account!

Alex Lingston.

kingantti1874
This is not true, WLC made sure they had a supply of grit to last threw some bad weather but as this has been a nation wide problem for such a length of time grit was running out. WLC got a suppl y of grit on 30th. The problem WLC have is they decided not to grit schemes when we had a lull in the snow so it just build up when we got hit again. Oh & the buggered up re-supplying grit bins!

Fair enough mate, just as well I don't have football related sources-I'd get mauled on here!!

Serj Tankian

Just driven up from Gala and the road from Gorebridge into Edinburgh is a joke had to dig my car out from snow as it skidded in my street .

I'm going to have a go at snowboarding out that way tomorrow :thumb:

I slid off a roundabout the other night, doing just 5mph...rather embaressing.

Last nights conditions were terrible between city centre and gilmerton, could barely get up there to pick my girlfriend up, took her home at 1am thinking the roads would have been cleared or something, but nope, probably even worse!

I don't see why I have to justify owning a 4x4 - as I've already said, it was bought to do a specific job given where we live and our lifestyle. It is, as I said, a workhorse, not a status symbol. It's a 15-year-old Toyota Hilux Surf, not some brand-new top of the range Range Rover.

If you don't mind me asking what is the running costs on such a machine like?

Seemingly Midlothian Council, do have grit, but its sitting at Leith docks and hasn't been moved, because the haulage contractors are on holiday.

Seemingly Midlothian Council, do have grit, but its sitting at Leith docks and hasn't been moved, because the haulage contractors are on holiday.

Midlothian Council like all others do not have responsibility for trunk roads.

blondejamtart
If you don't mind me asking what is the running costs on such a machine like?

It's actually not as bad as you might think - I suppose it would depend on how many miles you do. I can put ?25 worth of diesel in mine and it lasts me all week. The only downside can be parts - as it is a Japanese import, they can be expensive, but there are websites where you can get them cheaper. I love mine - I'd definitely have another.

It's actually not as bad as you might think - I suppose it would depend on how many miles you do. I can put ?25 worth of diesel in mine and it lasts me all week. The only downside can be parts - as it is a Japanese import, they can be expensive, but there are websites where you can get them cheaper. I love mine - I'd definitely have another.

Interesting, thanks. My little peugeot 106 is coming to the of its life and I fancy something big for my mountain bikes as putting seats up and down and taking wheels off constantly does my head in.

Carl Spackler
Ps from an insider west Lothian council actually sold

grit to network rail in mid December as they didn't think they'd need it

I can tell you mate, quite categorically that that is a load of %$it.

A guy at work was saying someone ski'd to the pub in Gorebridge the other day there. Left his skis behind the bar.

We were going to Rosewell,but buses hadnt beenthat way all day. Got off in Dalkeith for a few drinks, then home. like another world out there snowwise

Roads are a disgrace, someone should be sacked for this....

Craig-Section Z

To be fair to councils etc i think they are doing ok all things considering. When was the last time we had this amount of snow and for this long?

If they bought tons of grit every year and never used it people would say it was a waste of money and complain the money wasnt used elsewhere. They have, like all industries and businesses based this years orders on previous years demand. Unfortunately this years demand has been allot greater and at a time of year when a lot of the country shuts or scales down the for Christmas.

I would imagine its now hard for them to buy more grit quickly as there is such a demand which the companies that make it (however you make grit, whats in it btw?) are struggling to keep up with!!

I am going to start a campaign to support the grit men and women :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8438717.stm

The Scottish government's finance secretary has said councils have sufficient supplies of road grit.

John Swinney's pledge came after Fife Council reported its stock had become "critically low".

Mr Swinney said that when he heard about Fife's plight new supplies of salt were sourced.

With forecasters predicting the cold snap will continue for at least another week, the government is advising people to take care on roads and paths.

On Sunday, Fife Council issued a statement expressing its worries salt stocks could run out by Monday morning.

Renfrewshire Council also warned the area's grit supplies were so low only the main routes were being treated.

But Mr Swinney insisted that salt levels were "sufficient at present" and any suggestion to the contrary "is not correct".

So do we have enough stocks, Fife and Renfrew saying one thing, the Scottish Government saying another.

Sheriff Fatman

So do we have enough stocks, Fife and Renfrew saying one thing, the Scottish Government saying another.

Both were correct at the time they said it, Fife and Renfrew said that they didn't have sufficient stocks, which they didn't at the time. Once they had said that the national government helped source extra stocks to make up the short fall.

Saying that, it is not the job of the national government to ensure sufficient stocks, that is the job of the councils, and they fell down on their jobs.

Aye the guy from the Scottish Government should call both the City of Edinburgh and East Lothian Councils. I have had reason to call both this morning for work related purposes and Edin were very cagey on why certain developments were not treated and East Lothian were very blunt in saying that they were fast running out of grit.

You should all stop moaning. I thought most were on holiday anyway so why are there so many people having to travel. Ok there may be a few who can say their journeys are necessary but how many can you honestly say they need to be driving about.

The amount of snow we have had has been the worst in years, normally we get a bit snow then it disappears. Councils are struggling to get roads salted the more traffic using the roads, the more hold ups there are.

Stay at home unless it is important.

Prince Buaben
A guy at work was saying someone ski'd to the pub in Gorebridge the other day there. Left his skis behind the bar.

When i stayed in Gorebridge i once seen someone ski down street.

We were going to Rosewell,but buses hadnt beenthat way all day. Got off in Dalkeith for a few drinks, then home. like another world out there snowwise

Roads are a disgrace, someone should be sacked for this....

Its a nightmare i havent been home this year. Was meant to go home last night but couldnt get as the 49 was only runnig to Polton Mill.

You should all stop moaning. I thought most were on holiday anyway so why are there so many people having to travel. Ok there may be a few who can say their journeys are necessary but how many can you honestly say they need to be driving about.

The amount of snow we have had has been the worst in years, normally we get a bit snow then it disappears. Councils are struggling to get roads salted the more traffic using the roads, the more hold ups there are.

Stay at home unless it is important.

Plenty of people back at work today. Roads into Edinburgh from penicuik at 6 this morning were extremely poor considering there had been no snow for 24 hours.

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

Roads still seem bad everywhere, I was out yesterday and even the buses were toiling, not been out in the car today yet, will need to dig it out the snow first tho.

blondejamtart

There's a statement today on Midlothian Council's website - http://www.midlothian.gov.uk - saying they've used seven times as much grit as they would normally for this time of year and have got more supplies today. There's no doubt that the roads are bad though - even some of the main roads aren't all that great, and as soon as you get off the main drag, they're horrendous.

I'm going to have a go at snowboarding out that way tomorrow :thumb:

And top fun it was too. :thumb:

There's a statement today on Midlothian Council's website - http://www.midlothian.gov.uk - saying they've used seven times as much grit as they would normally for this time of year and have got more supplies today. There's no doubt that the roads are bad though - even some of the main roads aren't all that great, and as soon as you get off the main drag, they're horrendous.

I saw grit being delivered today at Fushiebridge. And the country side roads I was on today had been well cleared of snow. They are doing a great job.:thumb:

Let's hope that the wind stays away or we'll be getting big drifts.

Archived