police application

Andyeyespy

A very big thank you to all who gave great advice on the application form, Just found out my application has been accepted. So now that ive got through, over, under the first hurdle ive got a few more to go.

thanks again.:peek_by_Andrin:

Well done. Getting your application accepted is a massive hurdle due to the way they want it done

As previously said. If you need any help there's plenty serving and ex cops on here.

Whats the next stage ?

Congratulations young man, I remember the thrill I got with the letter from Edinburgh City Police, still remember the day and its fifty five years ago now. You no doubt in your career will meet some total anuses, but you will meet some sterling life time friends. I have been out of my original Force for nearly forty three years and have on occasion still had contact, and in the past had many visitors here in Canada from ECP.

I may be a bit premature in talking about your career knowing the systems now, compared to my time, selection is a lot more comprehensive. However you have got the first stage, and I am not a praying person but I will think positive thoughts for you. Semper Vigilo.

Lothian and Borders Police are looking for a racist attacker.

Can you get me an application form?

Good luck with your application form. One bit of advice i would give is, dont get your hopes up.

I went through the whole recruitment process. Application form, Familiarisation Evening, Initital interview, Fitness Test, Written Test, Medical and Home Interview...

I was given a date for my Final Panel Interview, and 24 hours before it, they cancelled and said i was out the selection process. "L&B have the right to reject a candidate at any stage, without giving reason"

Absolute bar stewards. I was even told at my home interview, NOT to renew my hearts season ticket because "i would be working 3 in 5 weekends". I was told to enjoy this christmas because "it would be my last off work in a while", i was even told, "there is a job there with your name on it, just sell yourself at the final panel"

I thought i was in, understandably. My hopes were mega raised. To cancel me only 24 hours from the finish line, without reason, is a joke. So now, yep, i fecking hate the police, with a passion.

I was also the fitest and strongest on the fitness test, by miles. I even beat the leading cop over the 1.5 mile run. Passed the written test with flying colours.... And no, i dont have a criminal record. Before someone asks.

Absolutely ridiculous way to treat a candidate. They should have rejected my app at the very start if they didnt want me. At least it would have been easy to deal with. But its not after all that. 3 months of being at their beck and call, to be **** on.

AHHHHHHHH, rant over.

Good luck with your application form. One bit of advice i would give is, dont get your hopes up.

I went through the whole recruitment process. Application form, Familiarisation Evening, Initital interview, Fitness Test, Written Test, Medical and Home Interview...

I was given a date for my Final Panel Interview, and 24 hours before it, they cancelled and said i was out the selection process. "L&B have the right to reject a candidate at any stage, without giving reason"

Absolute bar stewards. I was even told at my home interview, NOT to renew my hearts season ticket because "i would be working 3 in 5 weekends". I was told to enjoy this christmas because "it would be my last off work in a while", i was even told, "there is a job there with your name on it, just sell yourself at the final panel"

I thought i was in, understandably. My hopes were mega raised. To cancel me right only 24 hours from the finish line, without reason, is a joke. So now, yep, i fecking hate the police, with a passion.

I was also the fitest and strongest on the fitness test, by miles. I even beat the leading cop over the 1.5 mile run. Passed the written test with flying colours.... And no, i dont have a criminal record. Before someone asks.

Absolutely ridiculous way to treat a candidate. They should have rejected my app at the very start if they didnt want me. At least it would have been easy to deal with. But its not after all that. 3 months of being at their beck and call, to be **** on.

AHHHHHHHH, rant over.

They must have spent a fortune getting you to that stage. I think you were entitled to get an answer as to why you were rejected at the 11th hour. Perhaps they found something that isnt actually correct. Did you ask ? Even if you dont have a criminal record, if you associate with anyone who has one or appear on any of their intelligence systems for any reason that might be even teniously dubious (as lots of people without criminal records do)then they'll reject you. I'd have asked for a full disclosure of anything they had on you because it sounds to me like they found something they didnt like.

Tried, and tried, appealed, got me knowhere. Bar an apology for leading me on for so long.

Anyway, all vetting is done pre home interview. Which i was given, and passed! Likely some fat cat, useless Police Officer, now in a desk job, who was due to be on the final panel, who doesnt even know me, saw something he turned his nose up at.

When i see some Police Officers, who are 4 stone overweight and they only thing they could catch is a cold, it really riles me.

My gf is a Police Officer FFS. I have had several family members in the job as well.

Anyway, im kinda over it now, and i suppose everything happens for a reason, and all that jazz......

When i see the shifts the bird has to work, along with the sheeeite she has to deal with, im almost glad im not doing that.

Just very very angry at my treatment

I know they have hammered the recruitment of late, so maybe they ran out of spaces for 25 year old, hard working, fit white males. WOULDNT SURPRISE ME. And before anyone doesnt like me saying that, try going through what i went through, and see how it makes you feel!

It is quite a comprehensive part of the process here to use psychological and lie detector screening in the process, do they do these tests now in Scotland. As far as a rejected application does this prohibit applications for other forces.

I thought i was in, understandably. My hopes were mega raised. To cancel me only 24 hours from the finish line, without reason, is a joke. So now, yep, i fecking hate the police, with a passion.

AHHHHHHHH, rant over.

I would submit a Freedom of Information request, which is your legal right to obtain information from the police. This could help you find out why.

A very big thank you to all who gave great advice on the application form, Just found out my application has been accepted. So now that ive got through, over, under the first hurdle ive got a few more to go.

thanks again.:peek_by_Andrin:

Well done, hope you get the job...:thumb:

AHHHHHHHH, rant over.

i know how you feel!!! went through it all earlier in the year. 4 months of interviews and assessments all the way through to the final panel interview to be told i don't have enough experience working with the public and they werent happy that i had been employed by the same company for 17years

I was totally gutted, surely they read my application form at the start!!

To the OP hope it all goes well

I know they have hammered the recruitment of late, so maybe they ran out of spaces for 25 year old, hard working, fit white males. WOULDNT SURPRISE ME. And before anyone doesnt like me saying that, try going through what i went through, and see how it makes you feel!

I'm sure it would annoy me. I hope it wouldn't give me a chip on my shoulder about black people.

I'm sure it would annoy me. I hope it wouldn't give me a chip on my shoulder about black people.

What ever gave you that idea?

Outrageous accusation to make, and to be honest, not even funny.

Anyone else would get an infraction for that.

One rule for one.....

Not happy to be honest. Effectively accused me of being racist.

Rule 1 and 16 of General Posting Rules have BOTH been broken.

Anyone else would get an infraction for that.

One rule for one.....

Not happy to be honest. Effectively accused me of being racist.

Rule 1 and 16 of General Posting Rules have BOTH been broken.

I think he was referring to your earlier post about "fit white males", which some may infer as being racist. Perhaps you could explain what you meant?

I think he was referring to your earlier post about "fit white males", which some may infer as being racist. Perhaps you could explain what you meant?

How on earth does that make me racist?!

Are u having a laugh?

So now, if u think ur being victimised (which I don't) your racist? Get a grip!

I'm saying I KNOW the police have quotas.

After going thru what I did, you would maybe believe that is the reason I was rejected.

That is NOT racist. Unbelievable.

Are u having a laugh?

After going thru what I did, you would maybe believe that is the reason I was rejected.

I defer to your greater knowledge.

It wasn't an accusation, it was merely a statement that I would hope not to get a chip on my shoulder about race if I was to have some bad luck with a job application.

It wasn't intended to be funny. If it were intended to be funny I would have added an appropriate emoticon.

It wasn't an accusation, it was merely a statement that I would hope not to get a chip on my shoulder about race if I was to have some bad luck with a job application.

It wasn't intended to be funny. If it were intended to be funny I would have added an appropriate emoticon.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy it.

We all know how it was meant. No matter how u attempt to sugar coat it.

Are u having a laugh?

So, do you or don't you think you were rejected because of your race?

I dont know why.

What u believe is mere speculation.

And if I believed I was rejected for that reason, it wouldn't make me racist.

It wouldn't make anyone racist if they believed they were victimised. It's completely nonsensical to claim otherwise.

He clearly does, he hasn't denied that, but that does not mean that he has racist views though.

I've not seen many of Sten's posts but if people are implying that he is a racist on the basis of what he has written in this thread then I think that is extremely harsh.

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

I have wanted to join the police for years but i dont have the guts as i dont know what the application process involves so any helpful tips id be grateful. cheers

He clearly does, he hasn't denied that, but that does not mean that he has racist views though.

I've not seen many of Sten's posts but if people are implying that he is a racist on the basis of what he has written in this thread then I think that is extremely harsh.

Did he also start the thread about black only dating sites and the Mobo's?

Cheers mate. I respect that.

You mean apart from the part of his post where he says "I don't"?

My opinion is now that the term "racism" has been mentioned, Sten Guns is being a little more coy with his suggestions. Just out of interest, who was the first to use the term "racism" or "racist" on this thread?

Did he also start the thread about black only dating sites and the Mobo's?

I sure did.

If anything I said was racist, let me know.

Cheers

I dont know why.

What u believe is mere speculation.

And if I believed I was rejected for that reason, it wouldn't make me racist.

It wouldn't make anyone racist if they believed they were victimised. It's completely nonsensical to claim otherwise.

I have not once posted what I believe as the reason for you not getting a job, I don't have the foggiest clue as I do not know you or the prospective employer. All I did was ASK you.

Sten Guns, do you believe you were unsuccessful in your Police application due to the colour of your skin? If the answer to that is no, why did you bring it up?

I sure did.

If anything I said was racist, let me know.

Cheers

I am just trying to build up a picture in my head, kinda Columbo style. :thumb:

I have not once posted what I believe as the reason for you not getting a job, I don't have the foggiest clue as I do not know you or the prospective employer. All I did was ASK you.

Sten Guns, do you believe you were unsuccessful in your Police application due to the colour of your skin? If the answer to that is no, why did you bring it up?

Are u saying that I have to believe something, in order to put it forward as a possible explanation?

Are u saying people in general cannot put down a host of reasons as to why something ocurred, without believing everyone of them is true?

Are u saying that I have to believe something, in order to put it forward as a possible explanation?

Are u saying people in general cannot put down a host of reasons as to why something ocurred, without believing everyone if of them is true?

No, I am not. What I am asking (I won't bother to capitalise the term this time as you have seen it and ignored it) is if you do believe it.

Here are a couple of sample answers, just to show you what you could think...

Do I think that the colour of my skin cost me a job? Yes, I believe that the section on application forms where an employer captures your ethnicity could have had an impact on my prospective employment

No, I don't believe the colour of my skin cost me a job. It has been mentioned to me by friends and whilst I don't believe it I felt that I could offer it as advice to someone going for the same role

Instead of either of the above, or any other variations, you sidestep the questions. All that does is give me a third question, why doesn't Sten Guns want to answer?

No, I am not. What I am asking (I won't bother to capitalise the term this time as you have seen it and ignored it) is if you do believe it.

Here are a couple of sample answers, just to show you what you could think...

Instead of either of the above, or any other variations, you sidestep the questions. All that does is give me a third question, why doesn't Sten Guns want to answer?

I'm not answering because I'm bursting on a pee!

I'm not answering because I'm bursting on a pee!

Are you waiting for permission? Go and pee, flush the toilet, wash your hands and come back and post your answer.:thumb:

Are you waiting for permission? Go and pee, flush the toilet, wash your hands and come back and post your answer.:thumb:

Do I believe I personally was rejected for that reason. As I have already said, I don't know. What I believe is only speculation.

Do I believe it can have an affect on applications in general. YES. Same with gender. I know of woman at tulliallan who FAILED the fitness test consistently, but it was kept hush hush. I know of a woman at tulliallan who had a conviction for shop lifting, but was allowed in. Despite crimes of dishonesty being an automatic no no.

The Police have quotas. Simple. As do Fire Brigade and many other jobs. This i strongly disagree with. The best people should be accepted regardless of gender or race. I don't care if the Police are 100% black or 100% female. So long as the best candidates are taken on and all candidates meet the criteria.

Do I believe I personally was rejected for that reason. As I have already said, I don't know. What I believe is only speculation.

Do I believe it can have an affect on applications in general. YES. Same with gender. I know of woman at tulliallan who FAILED the fitness test consistently, but it was kept hush hush. I know of a woman at tulliallan who had a conviction for shop lifting, but was allowed in. Despite crimes of dishonesty being an automatic no no.

The Police have quotas. Simple. As do Fire Brigade and many other jobs. This is strongly disagree with. The best people should be accepted regardless off gender it race. I don't care if the Police is 100% black or 100% female. So long as the best candidates are taken on and all candidates meet the criteria.

From the Lothian & Trumpton Website

Lothian and Borders Police are striving to reflect the needs of the community it serves by employing more female Police officers and representatives from ethnic minority communities.

Do you agree with this statement?

From the Lothian & Trumpton Website

Do you agree with this statement?

I 100% agree with that, so long as those taken on meet the criteria.

But this is not happening. Stardards are lowered, when they shouldn't. Rules are bent, when they shouldn't.

This is NOT acceptable.

Example, you have a family member in a burning building, the Fire Fighter isn't strong enough to save them. They die. Why? Rules were bent. Not everyone was treated fairly. They passed entrance test when they shouldn't have.

Oh, but it's ok, our staff reflect society.

BS. Staff should only reflect society if the BEST are taken on, regardless of race, religion, gender, age etc.

I believe everyone should be treated equally, and I don't agree with rule bending to meet quotas.

The Police have quotas. Simple. As do Fire Brigade and many other jobs. This i strongly disagree with. The best people should be accepted regardless of gender or race. I don't care if the Police are 100% black or 100% female. So long as the best candidates are taken on and all candidates meet the criteria.

Agree with you 100% re the quotas mate.

He does have a point on the quotas front. So long as the best are selected there is no issue with whoever might pull me over one day or have to nick me for some reason.

If sub-par candidates are allowed in to the Police, and any other profession, then it simply serves to weaken the area that they are in. Please note however I do not condone in any way shape or form the sort of veiled racism Sten Guns is posting up (see his other thread about a dating site for Black people).

Also, well done to the OP, I hope you make it in :).

Sten Gun don't take my question the wrong way, but do you recall being asked any question about hiring policies of L and B or affirmative action in the hiring of ethnics. It may have been slipped in casually. In the other case have you ever in company or to a friend expounded strongly on the preference to hiring minorities.

I was involved very heavily in our hiring process, I can assure you it was in our case and I am sure in the case of L and B very comprehensive, interviews of neighbours etc. it is amazing what a comment or statement made to the wrong person can evoke.

In England, Scotland and Wales employers are permitted to encourage applicants for jobs from "minority" or "under-represented" backgrounds. However, it is against the law to discriminate in favour of such applicants when giving jobs.

He does have a point on the quotas front. So long as the best are selected there is no issue with whoever might pull me over one day or have to nick me for some reason.

You might have a different view if you lived in Donegal. :biggrin:

Archived