Blu Ray Live advice required

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson

The Mrs got me a blu ray player for Christmas. It plays DVDs and blu ray discs fine but the one blu ray live disc she got me only loads upto the menu.

The player should be BRL compatible if I plug it into my router (havent done that yet as it means I will need to move my router from another room).

My question to the JKB faithful is - should I be able to watch a BRL disc without being hooked upto internet - as I only want to watch the disc, not the aditional stuff from BRL.

Thanks in advance.

Yes.. you can watch the disc. But you wont get the IMDB profiles etc that come with the live. (I think)

Enjoy the world of HD

Carl Fredrickson
What is this Blu-Ray live thing?

That was ny question earlier this evening. Some BR discs have additional info that you can download from the interweb by linking the BR player (if it is compatible) upto your home network.

The BR discs can hold a lot of info but by using BRL you can have hours and hours of additional info if you so desire.

My problem is that I havent hooked up the BR player to my router and the only BRL disc I got for my Christmas doesnt play. I thought the issue would be with the LIVE element of it but I think it is a dodgy disc.

Craig-Section Z

Can you not connect it wirelessly? Its almost 2010 nothing should need cables now :)

Incidentally i have a few Blue Ray's now but nothing to play them on, torn between a PS3 or a standalone player.......

Carl Fredrickson

Got the disc exchanged today - and the new one doesnt play either. Got 9 blu ray discs, all play bar this one but the one that doesnt play is the only one with blu ray live on it.

I cant connect the blu ray player wirelessly so will move my router downstairs and try it again....

Carl Fredrickson
What blu ray is it? What error message comes on screen when trying to play the disc?

it is Terminator Salvation (dont ask, the wife bought me it). I dont get an error message. It loads the menu but will not let you into any of the options. Only eject, home and off work.

Like I said earlier, it is only the BRL disc that this happens with. Tried 9 other BR discs and they are fine.

it is Terminator Salvation (dont ask, the wife bought me it). I dont get an error message. It loads the menu but will not let you into any of the options. Only eject, home and off work.

Like I said earlier, it is only the BRL disc that this happens with. Tried 9 other BR discs and they are fine.

I just put the same dvd into my Sony BDP S360 and it is playing fine.

Carl Fredrickson
There are a few reports kicking around that this disc wont play on some players.

Would you be kind enough to supply links to any of these? Thanks

Carl Fredrickson

Finally got it to work after downloading a software update for my brand new blu ray player.

Having watched the movie, all the effort wasnt worth it....

Finally got it to work after downloading a software update for my brand new blu ray player.

Having watched the movie, all the effort wasnt worth it....

Well thanks a ****ing bunch mate. I haven't watched it yet.:smiliz64:

It seems amazing that some people are saying this DVD won't work in Blu Ray players when the DVD is made by Sony and it is playing on Sony's ****ing Blu Ray technology.

The only issues I'm aware of is probs playing your own recorded DVDs.

Anyway , thanks for the tip. I just wasted 2 hours today watching Angels & Demons - it's criminal. I got 3 discs free so Slum Dog Millionaire better be good.:santa5::santa5:

The Wicker Man

Sorry never got back earlier.

It appears that it's the 'BD-Java' menu system on this particular disc ( as well as a few other titles ) that gives the grief.

Upgrading the players firmware to the latest seemed to cure a few of the hiccups but doesn't seem a 100% fix.

Carl Fredrickson

Anyway , thanks for the tip. I just wasted 2 hours today watching Angels & Demons - it's criminal. I got 3 discs free so Slum Dog Millionaire better be good.:santa5::santa5:

IMO Slumdog Millionaire is a FAR better movie. Must be my age/taste etc as other folk I have talked to seem to like Termintaor Salvation. :smiliz23:

Archived