**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

PortyJambo
12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I suspected they might as they're credited with interest in every RB going 🤣

Indeed. Derrick Henry is another one they're always linked with too. No thanks. Maybe the Henry of a couple of seasons ago, but not now for what he'll cost. For what they got out of Mostert and Achane last season, I don't see them needing a big money RB.

Edit - add LB to the holes to fill, as they've just cut starting LB Jerome Baker to save $9m+ against the cap

Edited by PortyJambo

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

20 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

All the talk at the Combine appears to be Fields to Falcons. Apparently Falcons and Bears had discussions during it.

Suspect Omar Khan from the steelers will have spoken to the bears too, just cannot see us going into next season with Rudolph and Pickett as our QB's, we'll either go for a Fields or Wilson or somehow trade up to go grab a QB in the 1st round of the draft

luckyBatistuta

I keep reading that the Falcons and Cousins could be a thing.

PortyJambo
46 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Suspect Omar Khan from the steelers will have spoken to the bears too, just cannot see us going into next season with Rudolph and Pickett as our QB's, we'll either go for a Fields or Wilson or somehow trade up to go grab a QB in the 1st round of the draft

I see the local newspaper, and The Athletic, as per this CBS article, have both reported that the Steelers are not interested in Fields or another big name QB.

Of course, we're getting into the smoke and mirrors time of year for NFL teams and their plans, but doesn't sound promising for you in moving on from Pickett/Rudolph. Although, not being interested in Fields or a big name doesn't rule out taking one in the draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-fields-trade-rumors-this-qb-needy-team-is-already-out-on-a-potential-deal-for-the-bears-qb/

23 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I see the local newspaper, and The Athletic, as per this CBS article, have both reported that the Steelers are not interested in Fields or another big name QB.

Of course, we're getting into the smoke and mirrors time of year for NFL teams and their plans, but doesn't sound promising for you in moving on from Pickett/Rudolph. Although, not being interested in Fields or a big name doesn't rule out taking one in the draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-fields-trade-rumors-this-qb-needy-team-is-already-out-on-a-potential-deal-for-the-bears-qb/

Yeah it's all smoke and mirrors, we may well want Fields but the Bears are asking too much, that of course could change as teams become more desperate 

At the minute we only have Pickett under contract with talks ongoing with Rudolph over a new contract, it's entirely possible that Rudolph decides to try his luck somewhere else, especially if he's not going to be designated QB1 so we need to do something, whether thats going for Fields/Cousins/Wilson etc or picking up another Trubiski type as QB3 or we wait for the draft

Ray Gin

Yikes!! 🥶

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/fans-needed-amputations-dangerously-cold-161033059.html

Fans who attended the near-record cold Kansas City Chiefs playoff game in January had to undergo amputations after suffering frostbite, a Missouri hospital has said.

Research Medical Center did not provide exact numbers but said in a statement it treated dozens of people who had experienced frostbite during an 11-day cold snap in January. Twelve of those people – including some who were at game on Jan. 13 – had to undergo amputations involving mostly fingers and toes. 

The temperature for the Dolphins-Chiefs wildcard playoff game was minus-4F (minus-20C), and wind gusts made for a windchill of minus-27F (minus-33C). That shattered the record for the coldest game in Arrowhead Stadium history, which had been 1F (minus-17C), set in a 1983 game against Denver and matched in 2016 against Tennessee.

Must admit, I'd be giving Hearts games a pass if it was -20 outside. Those are some dedicated fans! 

Edited by Ray Gin

PortyJambo

Mac Jones traded to the Jags for a 6th round pick, quite a comedown for a former top 15 pick in the draft, who'll now be the backup to the QB picked 1st overall from the same draft. 

Steelers taking Russell Wilson for less than they were paying Trubiski seems like really good business to me, now where will the spend the rest of the 35m cap space they’ve created?

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Steelers taking Russell Wilson for less than they were paying Trubiski seems like really good business to me, now where will the spend the rest of the 35m cap space they’ve created?

Good move by the Steelers, although they're going to have to upgrade their offensive line significantly to help him.

RustyRightPeg

Chiefs giving Jones mega money. 

Basically used their whole salary allowance on him, Mahomes & Kelce. 

8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Good move by the Steelers, although they're going to have to upgrade their offensive line significantly to help him.

That’s something we’re clearly looking to do with the release of our no1 centre, I expect a big move at that position as a start

Day@theraces
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Chiefs giving Jones mega money. 

Basically used their whole salary allowance on him, Mahomes & Kelce. 

He basically won them the SB. On at least two occasions I remember him disrupting Purdy when he had a receiver wide open for a TD. Taken over from Donald as the most disruptive DT.

RustyRightPeg

Wild first day of free agency. 

Cousins to Falcons
Jacobs to Packers
Wilson to Steelers
Juedy to Browns
Pollard to Tennessee
Saquon to Philly

So far…

PortyJambo

The Dolphins lose Christian Wilkins to the Raiders, and Robert Hunt to the Panthers, both to mega-money contracts. I would have loved Miami to be able to keep both, but not at the money they're getting (Wilkins $27.5M average per year, Hunt $20M)

J.T.F.Robertson
19 hours ago, Ribble said:

Would be nice if he were to win "comeback player of the year". 😉

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Placid Casual
13 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aaron Jones released by the Packere. 

This one really stings. Outstanding on and off the field.

Placid Casual
3 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

This one really stings. Outstanding on and off the field.

… and now he signs for the Vikings.

image.gif.1eece35869b9b248a42d7399b06d6ea9.gif

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Placid Casual said:

That's a spite move if I ever saw one lol. 

Genuinely thought he'd end up at KC on the cheap and go on a ring chase.

Placid Casual
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yes, happened a bit too quickly for my liking!

RustyRightPeg

Joe Mixon to the Texans. Happy with that.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Chiefs will be penny pinching for years after Mahomes deal.

RustyRightPeg
15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Chiefs will be penny pinching for years after Mahomes deal.

That's what I mentioned yesterday I think it was...other than Kelce and Jones, where does the bulk of their cap go?!

They don't pay RBs or WRs, they have an extremely young defense and an average at best O-Line (that gets away with murder). Juwan Taylor cost them a fortune last year at right tackle but he's a holding false start machine (doesn't always get called for them mind you). 

RustyRightPeg

Derrick Henry to the Ravens. RB market is outrageous this year.

Patrick Queen leaves the Ravens to sign a 3 yr $41m deal with the Steelers, strengthens us and weakens them, happy with that

16 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Very good RB but the sort of scumbag I’d prefer to have nowhere near my team, unfortunately.

Disappointed to lose Greenard (arguably our best defensive player last season), but pleased with Hunter. Al-Shaair also a good addition. 

PortyJambo

The Dolphins have been shopping in the bargain basement FA shop this offseason, due to their cap situation and having players coming up for extensions that will need paid (Tua, Waddle, Holland, Phillips). I'm disappointed in losing Wilkins, as he's a fun player to have on your teams as well as being very good, but his contract with the Raiders is just too rich.

So far, we've added a couple of LB's, which was needed, Jordyn Brooks ($10M a year) and Anthony Walker (unknown salary, but will be cheap), which I think we needed as our  LB's weren't up to much. I'm hopeful Brooks in particular will provide an upgrade alongside David Long.

We badly needed a pass rusher with Chubb and Phillips recovering from ACL/Achilles injuries, so can't argue about giving Shaq Barrett (up to $9M) a one year deal.

We've also added an upgrade (wasn't hard!) at TE in Jonnu Smith ($4M), and a safety in Jordan Poyer ($2M) to play alongside Holland.

There's some decent players in there, so I'll try to be my usual optimistic self for next season. All of those players have been signed for about what Wilkins would have cost to re-sign!

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

The Dolphins have been shopping in the bargain basement FA shop this offseason, due to their cap situation and having players coming up for extensions that will need paid (Tua, Waddle, Holland, Phillips). I'm disappointed in losing Wilkins, as he's a fun player to have on your teams as well as being very good, but his contract with the Raiders is just too rich.

So far, we've added a couple of LB's, which was needed, Jordyn Brooks ($10M a year) and Anthony Walker (unknown salary, but will be cheap), which I think we needed as our  LB's weren't up to much. I'm hopeful Brooks in particular will provide an upgrade alongside David Long.

We badly needed a pass rusher with Chubb and Phillips recovering from ACL/Achilles injuries, so can't argue about giving Shaq Barrett (up to $9M) a one year deal.

We've also added an upgrade (wasn't hard!) at TE in Jonnu Smith ($4M), and a safety in Jordan Poyer ($2M) to play alongside Holland.

There's some decent players in there, so I'll try to be my usual optimistic self for next season. All of those players have been signed for about what Wilkins would have cost to re-sign!

That's a solid list.

Brooks is very underrated, unsure how he's not managed to get a longer deal elsewhere. 

RustyRightPeg
36 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Very good RB but the sort of scumbag I’d prefer to have nowhere near my team, unfortunately.

Disappointed to lose Greenard (arguably our best defensive player last season), but pleased with Hunter. Al-Shaair also a good addition. 

True, I'd actually forgotten about those goings on. 

Hunter is a beast, with Anderson on the other side. That could be elite.

Al-Shaair also reunited with Ryans is a shrewd move. 

luckyBatistuta
17 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

37 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I wouldn’t have been wanting him at the Colts if we’d been in need of an RB. He certainly hasn’t been lighting it up and that was on a team with a good QB, with good WR’s and as Peebo says…he’s a scumbag.

IMG_6759.jpeg

PortyJambo

Aaron Donald announces his retirement.

I'm a little surprised he's packing it in, but I do seem to recall there was talk of retirement after the Rams had won the Super Bowl but they persuaded him to carry on.

PortyJambo

He's a stick on for the Hall of Fame though, Pro Bowl every year (10) he's been in the league, 8 time All Pro and 3 time DPOY...not a bad CV. 

PortyJambo
On 12/03/2024 at 21:47, Ribble said:

Patrick Queen leaves the Ravens to sign a 3 yr $41m deal with the Steelers, strengthens us and weakens them, happy with that

And there goes Pickett to the Eagles. Looks like it'll just be Wilson and "let's ride" for you this season.

3rd round (compensatory) pick (#98) and two 2025 7th round picks for Pickett and the Steelers 4th round pick (#120).

I didn't think much of Pickett from what I'd seen of him, but that's not much back for a former 1st round pick in what will be only his 3rd season. That draft really sucked for QB's. This tweet is interesting though in what may have initiated the trade:

3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

And there goes Pickett to the Eagles. Looks like it'll just be Wilson and "let's ride" for you this season.

3rd round (compensatory) pick (#98) and two 2025 7th round picks for Pickett and the Steelers 4th round pick (#120).

I didn't think much of Pickett from what I'd seen of him, but that's not much back for a former 1st round pick in what will be only his 3rd season. That draft really sucked for QB's. This tweet is interesting though in what may have initiated the trade:

With trading Kenny pick6 Pickett I’d expect us to resign Rudolph and then pick up a prospect QB in the draft

Day@theraces
On 12/03/2024 at 12:59, Placid Casual said:

😆, Don't worry he'll probably tear his ACL opening week. Touch wood he doesn't but that's the Vikings way.

Day@theraces
On 13/03/2024 at 08:45, Peebo said:

The Vikes and Texans have had quite the bromance this off season.

PortyJambo

Fields traded to the Steelers, as per Schefter, for a conditional 4th round pick. Good trade for the Steelers I think.

Bears likely wanted more, but everyone knows they're going QB, and almost certainly Caleb Williams, with the 1st overall pick, so anyone interested in Fields just had to wait for the asking price to come down.

PortyJambo

It's a 6th round pick that could move up to a 4th if he plays 51% of the snaps next season...with Wilson there that could be unlikely!

If I’m honest we’ve absolutely fleeced the Bears with that trade! 

How we got more from trading away Pickett than we’ve paid for Fields is an utter mystery to me, Omar Khan is quickly becoming a top GM in negotiating deals like this

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

If I’m honest we’ve absolutely fleeced the Bears with that trade! 

How we got more from trading away Pickett than we’ve paid for Fields is an utter mystery to me, Omar Khan is quickly becoming a top GM in negotiating deals like this

Yeah, daylight robbery. Everyone was talking about the Bears wanting a 2nd round pick at least for Fields so, to nab him for a (likely) 6th, should result in the Steelers enjoying a stint behind bars :lol:

J.T.F.Robertson
On 17/03/2024 at 03:34, PortyJambo said:

Yeah, daylight robbery. Everyone was talking about the Bears wanting a 2nd round pick at least for Fields so, to nab him for a (likely) 6th, should result in the Steelers enjoying a stint behind bars :lol:

Stealers. (hopefully) 👍

luckyBatistuta
14 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Stealers. (hopefully) 👍

Seems like a steal for what you’re getting. Neither QB will take you to the promised land though. Playoffs is as far as either will get the Steelers imo. 

Not entirely convinced by Fields tbh. I know Wilson has been great in the past for the Seahawks but I haven't been watching long enough to have seen any of that. 

I think the AFC North will be tight this year, especially if Burrow can stay fit. All 4 sides look strong.

1 hour ago, 151 said:

Not entirely convinced by Fields tbh. I know Wilson has been great in the past for the Seahawks but I haven't been watching long enough to have seen any of that. 

I think the AFC North will be tight this year, especially if Burrow can stay fit. All 4 sides look strong.

Not 100% on him either but for a minimal outlay he’s an upgrade on all 3 of last seasons QB’s and a season learning from Wilson could be exactly what he needs.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Seems like a steal for what you’re getting. Neither QB will take you to the promised land though. Playoffs is as far as either will get the Steelers imo. 

I agree if just looking at qb’s in isolation but if we also improve at centre and wr to give the qb’s better options and we also tighten up our secondary we become a much stronger team, much stronger than a team that already reaches the playoffs

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, 151 said:

Wilson was special in those days. Outrageous escape ability when under pressure.

He still has one of the best long balls in the league too, the arc he gets on it is quite something. Arm strength hasn't gone...I'll be honest, I'm really not sure what happened in Denver. It was quite surreal to watch considering what he used to be like.

I expect him to start and play well this year though. 

hmfc_liam06
20 hours ago, Ribble said:

I agree if just looking at qb’s in isolation but if we also improve at centre and wr to give the qb’s better options and we also tighten up our secondary we become a much stronger team, much stronger than a team that already reaches the playoffs

Your OL certainly needs a wee bit of work. But ultimately, give any QB time and they'll generally be a success (the right OC also helps).

Look at the difference in Goff since moving to the Lions for example. A brilliant line plus an OC that plays to his strengths.

41 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Your OL certainly needs a wee bit of work. But ultimately, give any QB time and they'll generally be a success (the right OC also helps).

Look at the difference in Goff since moving to the Lions for example. A brilliant line plus an OC that plays to his strengths.

Totally and that’s the thing, we’ve got a new OC with a history of being heavy on the running game which should open opportunities up downfield for Wilson

Ive got a feeling we will address the OL with our top picks in the draft and use our remaining cap space on a WR1, if that is an elite level WR then we could be in for some season for the steelers

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Totally and that’s the thing, we’ve got a new OC with a history of being heavy on the running game which should open opportunities up downfield for Wilson

Ive got a feeling we will address the OL with our top picks in the draft and use our remaining cap space on a WR1, if that is an elite level WR then we could be in for some season for the steelers

Draft seems to be littered in WR's this year. 

22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Draft seems to be littered in WR's this year. 

Yeah and we normally do well with WR's in the later rounds, just think that we'll go for an established WR1 via trade/free agency and add depth/potential in the draft