Could Levein be the man to revamp Scottish football? (NHC)

123kid

So pen hasn't been put to paper but its looking likely unless something goes wrong.

Levein was assured a "free reign on reform". I wonder what this would extend to? and would the blazers want a "maverick" in there, when they are please to act like the quo is fine aslong as they get their ?.

Surely he won't be a yes man and I wouldn't imagine he would lose the dressing room to the usual suspects.

But I would really be wanting him to demand changes from the grass roots.

Seems to be his intention? Or will he be fobbed off?

I still expect something to go wrong however.

Charlie-Brown

The Scotland team manager only has jurisdiction over teams at that level - he doesn't have any power or authority to tell the clubs amatuer or professional anything at all, he can request of them what he'd like to see happen however they don't have to comply.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I think he'll do a good job. Probably wont be great to watch but will be effective.

But mark my words, a few good results and the man will drop his knickers to the first EPL/Championship club that bats its eyelids. I give him 2 years max.

Drylaw Hearts
The Scotland team manager only has jurisdiction over teams at that level - he doesn't have any power or authority to tell the clubs amatuer or professional anything at all, he can request of them what he'd like to see happen however they don't have to comply.

I think CL will have more input into the way Scottish Football is run than any other Manager before him.

Guest juvehearts

yeah he is a mover.

defo not a realiable manager.

just expect the scotland squad to play like rangers did during their run to the uefa cup final

Charlie-Brown
I think CL will have more input into the way Scottish Football is run than any other Manager before him.

How is this possible DH? He can't tell Hearts what to do, he can't tell Liberton Utd what to do - he doesn't have that authority - he can only make requests about what he'd like to see happen but he can't tell them how to train, how to pick their teams, what formations etc.

Csaba's Broon Shoes

He has a massive job on his hands and should be applauded for being brave enough for taking it on while 90% of managers would not touch it with a barge pole .

Levein however is well educated and is a very clever young manager with a strong single minded determination to succeed in what he does .He will have the presence needed in the dressing room for players to look up to and is a born leader of men .

He needs to impliment change from school-boy football through-out to senior level in this country changing the mind-set of all involved with the game in Scotland .

He will no doubt upset many in his road to getting the nation to a major championships since 1998 , what a challenge that is for him alone .

He is no yes man and will need all the support he can get from the clubs and backing from the media which Burley never got .

Maroon tinted glasses 2

If he gets the job then I hope he does well BUT he had better not let that little toss pot barry the crab back into the fold. Listened to his interview on the radio earlier "great manager" "met him a few times and he is a great guy". Smells of desperation to me and he should not be allowed anywhere near a Scotland shirt ever again!

Drylaw Hearts
How is this possible DH? He can't tell Hearts what to do, he can't tell Liberton Utd what to do - he doesn't have that authority - he can only make requests about what he'd like to see happen but he can't tell them how to train, how to pick their teams, what formations etc.

The day will soon come when the SFA, SPL and SFL will have to work together to make scottish football more attractive.

Hopefully it's soon and CL will be heavily involved imo.

jamboinglasgow
The day will soon come when the SFA, SPL and SFL will have to work together to make scottish football more attractive.

I agree.

Yes he cant tell people what formations to pick, or what way to play. But he can influnce the way coaches who teach youngsters are taught, he can control how our best youngsters are brought up through the ranks of international teams (look at what Wales have done.) He can help influnce SFA policy. He cant do this all on his own (and I think he should pick a wise team to help implement things including John Collins in charge of youth coaching coaching (if thats how you say it)) but he can start the spark that ignites a football revolution in Scotland.

I agree.

Yes he cant tell people what formations to pick, or what way to play. But he can influnce the way coaches who teach youngsters are taught, he can control how our best youngsters are brought up through the ranks of international teams (look at what Wales have done.) He can help influnce SFA policy. He cant do this all on his own (and I think he should pick a wise team to help implement things including John Collins in charge of youth coaching coaching (if thats how you say it)) but he can start the spark that ignites a football revolution in Scotland.

This is what I was getting at, JIG.

Charlie-Brown

What about the SAFA, SJFA, SYFA, EOSFA, HL, SOSL etc and all the other myriad bodies that are affiliated to the SFA in a federated structure in a system that has developed over a century .... notionally the SFA itself is controlled by it's member clubs and bodies ie from the bottom up - not top down from the president, ceo or national team manager.

Craig Levein was part of a 5 or 6 SPL managers cabal that came up with the wonderful idea of scrapping the reserve league as that suited some clubs interests yet creates a gulf / void for the development of young players between the U19 & 1st team .... that was a wonderfully short sighted idea to improve Scottish football - not!

Levein like every manager before him only has a limited mandate to control some of the Scotland teams the SFA field in competitions - it's naieve to think just because he's Craig Levein he can shake up Scottish football - that takes willingness to change the entire structure and all levels agreeing to & volunteering to do this - the reality is the Scotland manager only limited authority or ability to do anything and the same is true for Gordon Smith as Chief Executive.

Drylaw Hearts
What about the SAFA, SJFA, SYFA, EOSFA, HL, SOSL etc and all the other myriad bodies that are affiliated to the SFA in a federated structure in a system that has developed over a century .... notionally the SFA itself is controlled by it's member clubs and bodies ie from the bottom up - not top down from the president, ceo or national team manager.

Craig Levein was part of a 5 or 6 SPL managers cabal that came up with the wonderful idea of scrapping the reserve league as that suited some clubs interests yet creates a gulf / void for the development of young players between the U19 & 1st team .... that was a wonderfully short sighted idea to improve Scottish football - not!

Levein like every manager before him only has a limited mandate to control some of the Scotland teams the SFA field in competitions - it's naieve to think just because he's Craig Levein he can shake up Scottish football - that takes willingness to change the entire structure and all levels agreeing to & volunteering to do this - the reality is the Scotland manager only limited authority or ability to do anything and the same is true for Gordon Smith as Chief Executive.

Did CL vote for or against the proposal ?

I think you'd be very surprised at how many people working in Scottish football see all the problems and want what most of us do, Charlie. Campbell Ogilvie's one of them; Levein is another.

Reserve leagues have vanished down south too: it's not just a Scottish thing. The problem with reserve team football up til now is the standard has been embarrassing, the gulf between it and first team football colossal, and it's like all clubs just dumped players into the reserves and expected it to work. Well, it didn't, and was a borderline waste of time. What's the solution? I don't know - but all clubs, especially the bigger ones in Scotland should be looking to develop players from age 10 or 12 all the way up. No way did the reserve league offer the best way of doing this.

We need something much more integrated, more geared towards youth, and it's a squad game nowadays anyway. Reserve meant reserve when clubs used far fewer players during a season (didn't Dundee United only use about fourteen when they won the league in 1982/3?); now, we need a much more modern solution.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Teams like Killie simply could not afford to run reserve teams this season. It's not ideal but it was essential.

Charlie-Brown
Did CL vote for or against the proposal ?

I've no idea however I've never heard him speak out about the collapse of the SPL reserve league but that's really a minor irrelevant point - if it was possible for an individual be that C.Levein or G.Smith or H.McLeish or anybody else to magically transform Scottish football then surely it would have already been done by now?

Unless all the SFA member clubs & bodies conceded all their power & authority to the central controlling body then it will never be possible except through voluntary co-operation of all parties each with differing outlook & interests & priorities etc. All the clubs and various associations have autonomy over their own affairs that is why it's a decades long endeavour to change & improve Scottish football or even to prevent it from further deteriorating.

I've no idea however I've never heard him speak out about the collapse of the SPL reserve league but that's really a minor irrelevant point - if it was possible for an individual be that C.Levein or G.Smith or H.McLeish or anybody else to magically transform Scottish football then surely it would have already been done by now?

Unless all the SFA member clubs & bodies conceded all their power & authority to the central controlling body then it will never be possible except through voluntary co-operation of all parties each with differing outlook & interests & priorities etc. All the clubs and various associations have autonomy over their own affairs that is why it's a decades long endeavour to change & improve Scottish football or even to prevent it from further deteriorating.

Agreed but hopefully he is the one to get the wheels in motion.

Guest Dipped Flake

If the bit in bold means you don't know how come you earlier posted 'Craig Levein was part of a 5 or 6 SPL managers cabal that came up with the wonderful idea of scrapping the reserve league

Craig Levein has stated that he would not take the job unless he was given power to change the way the game in Scotland is run, especially to do with coaching the youngsters. Of course this will be a massive task but I feel he is the best man to at least make a start on this.

Archived