"...far cry from the days when the team was full of Lithuanians."

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I was reading an article online from todays sun

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2780766/If-you-want-to-be-heroes-for-Hearts-youll-have-to-match-Hibees-kids.html

It was Eamonn Bannon talking up the youngsters and calling on them to beat the hibs "golden generation."

But I was caught by a sentence that the sun wrote,

"With both Gary Glen and Jason Thomson also coming through, it's a far cry from the days when the team was full of Lithuanians."

It made me think, what was the most Lithuanians that we had in a starting XI or squad? As I feel there is shoddy and lazy journalists who continue this myth.

P.S. with all the talk of the young players surely Eggert Jonnson should of got a mention, know he isn't home grown but he is still a great talent.

Snake Plissken

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2780766/If-you-want-to-be-heroes-for-Hearts-youll-have-to-match-Hibees-kids.html

It was Eamonn Bannon talking up the youngsters and calling on them to beat the hibs "golden generation."

"With both Gary Glen and Jason Thomson also coming through, it's a far cry from the days when the team was full of Lithuanians."

It made me think, what was the most Lithuanians that we had in a starting XI or squad? As I feel there is shoddy and lazy journalists who continue this myth.

P.S. with all the talk of the young players surely Eggert Jonnson should of got a mention, know he isn't home grown but he is still a great talent.

It's probably up there with the Hibs flair and Hearts are a big, physical team myths.

Someone just needs to say it often enough and the lazy barstewards jump on the bandwagon.

Should have. Should have. SHOULD HAVE.

:santa3:

i think the most ever at once was about 5 or 6. the trouble with the west coast media monkey troop is that they also used to include any other player registered to kaunas as a liff.

we would be as well to just let them think whatever they want. they're all ****wits.

i think the most ever at once was about 5 or 6. the trouble with the west coast media monkey troop is that they also used to include any other player registered to kaunas as a liff.

we would be as well to just let them think whatever they want. they're all ****wits.

I might be getting the seasons mixed up but in 2006-7 didn't we have Jankauskas, Miko, Chesney, Velicka, Barasa, Zaliukas, Ivaskevicius, Ksnavicius, Kurskis, Kancelskis, Pilbaitis in the squad?

Anyway, I am delighted that most of those players have left the club and would prefer to continue to see the young players who have been brought in during the last couple of weeks instead. Did enjoy watching Jankauskas, Miko and Chesney at various times, but some of our other Lithuanian players were the most gutless I've ever seen in Hearts teams.

I might be getting the seasons mixed up but in 2006-7 didn't we have Jankauskas, Miko, Chesney, Velicka, Barasa, Zaliukas, Ivaskevicius, Ksnavicius, Kurskis, Kancelskis, Pilbaitis in the squad?

Anyway, I am delighted that most of those players have left the club and would prefer to continue to see the young players who have been brought in during the last couple of weeks instead. Did enjoy watching Jankauskas, Miko and Chesney at various times, but some of our other Lithuanian players were the most gutless I've ever seen in Hearts teams.

i think there was a high point of about 13 liffs in the squad... i can't even remember some of the names of the ones that never featured. i think that the most who were on the field together at any one time was either 5 or 6.

i am sure there must be someone keen enough to go trawling through the team lines to check. i'm not.

Steady on chaps, never forget Eamonn Bannon Shoots like a cannon.

One of my first Hearts heros

Indeed good old shiner, loved him as a player - great to hear he comes to watch us.

I recall one turgid mid-week match i- probably against St Mirren (isn't it always), one of those games destined for a boring nil-nil, and Bannon came on as sub and lit the place up, destroying the opposition and winning the game almost single-handedly.

He never did like the affectionate chants from the shed of baldy, baldy mind you. :D

i think there was a high point of about 13 liffs in the squad... i can't even remember some of the names of the ones that never featured. i think that the most who were on the field together at any one time was either 5 or 6.

i am sure there must be someone keen enough to go trawling through the team lines to check. i'm not.

Yes, there was the goalie signed as a favour to his father :smiliz23:

Anyway, pretty dark days. Glad that they seem to be over.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Well we have not done to bad with the lithuanians. We have had Janny, Miko (decent) Chesney (decent) Zaliukas, Velicka. Not a bad bunch of players there.

i certainly agree that an end to the days of wholesale dross clogging up the squad is great news but if there is the odd 'better' player to be had via that route then i'll always keep an open mind. novikovas has been poor recently but he's said to be promising. even cinikas is seemingly rated by one or two people.

just as well belarus never made it in the EU i say. :)

Well we have not done to bad with the lithuanians. We have had Janny, Miko (decent) Chesney (decent) Zaliukas, Velicka. Not a bad bunch of players there.

Erm,NO.

Janny,one season,well almost one,the rest of the time pish poor,couldn't be arsed.

Miko,a winger that couldn't cross a ball,scored a couple of goals,more bad games than good.

Chesney,hardly kicked a ball for us if the truth be told,did look a player but never showed us with any consistency.

zal,now here we go three seasons of utter tripe to have a not to bad season only to get sent off,what 4-5 times,good as he is it's taken far far to long for him to show it.

Velicka,yes I would agree with you there,he is the only one who showed,almost from the word go,anything positive and kept to it.

The Lithuanians would have walked into any other team in the SPL IMO. Outside of the OF anyway. Especially Miko, Cesnauskis, Jankauskas, Velicka and my personal favorite Zaliukas. Far better than any of the ginger Scottish gimps you see at other clubs.

IMO of course.

_44895132_linas_pilibaitis_416x300.jpg

high five pillowbiter :2thumbsup:

alwaysthereinspirit

I would be surprised if we started a game with 5.

I would be surprised if we started a game with 5.

Been quite anal there,had to look,we've had 5 starting once that I can see in 2007 and once 5 when a sub was made,plenty of times we had 4 playing from the start,but what caught my attention was just how many changes we made game after game then,man no wonder the opposition managers didn't even attempt to try and figure out who would play against them.

Not that suprised levein taking the job. Not particulary because his dream job, but IMO he sees as his best route into the epl. Do a decent job and he will get an opportunity down south again.

If he stayed at Dundee utd even doing well, as he was, don't think many English clubs would take a punt after his time at leicister. For me this is about levein advancing himself, not that I have an issue with that. It's what 99% of us do.

No loose situation for him IMO. Even if it goes badly he will still get a mid spl job at the drop of the hat, which is probably the best he would get after utd.

I think he will do ok. Will make us difficult to beat and think he will have us playing as a team, probably the best you can do as Scotland manager.

FWIW I agree.

obviously wrong thread!

Cringeabubble.

alwaysthereinspirit
Been quite anal there,had to look,we've had 5 starting once that I can see in 2007 and once 5 when a sub was made,plenty of times we had 4 playing from the start,but what caught my attention was just how many changes we made game after game then,man no wonder the opposition managers didn't even attempt to try and figure out who would play against them.

I'm still surprised but nice detective work.

Drylaw Hearts
The Lithuanians would have walked into any other team in the SPL IMO. Outside of the OF anyway. Especially Miko, Cesnauskis, Jankauskas, Velicka and my personal favorite Zaliukas. Far better than any of the ginger Scottish gimps you see at other clubs.

IMO of course.

Kurkis, Pillow and No.28 are just 3 that would have struggled to get a game for Cowdenbeath.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Kurkis, Pillow and No.28 are just 3 that would have struggled to get a game for Cowdenbeath.

Kurskis would have struggled to get a game in a pub team.

The other two, however, did play in a Hearts time that went to Fester Road and won.

For that, they are still above Cowdenbeath level.

Oh, and Ivaskevicius scored a few for us as well.

Drylaw Hearts
Kurskis would have struggled to get a game in a pub team.

The other two, however, did play in a Hearts time that went to Fester Road and won.

For that, they are still above Cowdenbeath level.

Oh, and Ivaskevicius scored a few for us as well.

I disagree.

They were utter garbage.

Almost sacrilegious to see them sharing threadspace with Sir E Bannon.

Sorry but when Bannon pulled on a Hibs jersey I lost all respect for him.

The Mighty Thor

Unbelievably that great performance from Kurskis against Caley Thistle was only 2 years ago. 22nd Dec 2007!

It shows you how relatively unstable we are as a football club.

Whilst we are on the subject of previous media created "Hearts" myths, did anyone see the Manky mobs game against Vienna last week? We were constantly accused in 05/06 of having a pointlessly huge squad, but one of the Shhheeellllleeeekkk subs that came on in the last 15 was squad number 54 or something like that!! Not a mention from the Weggie press monkeys about that little doosey!! :smiliz23:

Hmmm.

This thread represents a contradiction in time. JKB has spent years moaning about "Liths" and now finds itself moaning about journos who are "moaning about Liths". Fact - around half of our first team were from Lithuania for a significant time period. If the team is not Lithuanian, then domestic players from the youth squad will have an additional barrier to get into the first team as a result. Debate if that's right or wrong, sure, but don't pretend it didn't happen.

Its kind of similar to a infamous lengthy thread celebrating hearts fans bad behaviour in the 70's, and then a finger pointing thread about badly behaving Celtic fans. My point - the two don't sit easily together.on the same board, if your seeking the moral high ground.

I couldn't give a duck about the moral high ground, I just want a victory at Easter Road - a proper one too, with Hibs fans storming out in protest long before the final whistle. All I care about is F('ing)T(he)H(ibs).

Deodato

Archived