Populations of City's and Towns > Scotland

jambojackbilly

jambojackbilly

The 2001 census has Livi as 5th

Anyone have a recent up date for me

Fifty quid drunken bet says otherwise and I'm beginning to panic

Cheers

There's a link to a list on a thread about towns with football clubs population wise. I'll see if i can find it again

Cheers

Livingston isn't 5th.

Are you following me marc? I've left 3 comments today and you've been the next person the comment everytime:laugh2:

jamboinglasgow

Cheers

Guess you got that off wiki, I saw that list too. It is a curious list, but it is easy to argue over as somethings are considered seperate towns. For example it counts Bearsden as seperate place while most would say its part of Glasgow.

Are you following me marc? I've left 3 comments today and you've been the next person the comment everytime:laugh2:

Ha ha. I've never even noticed. See what happen's when I'm off work and having nothing to do.

More info please

I'll try and find the info you need. I'm sure the top 4 are the obvious ones followed by either East Kilbride or Paisley. Or see above.

jambojackbilly
I'll try and find the info you need. I'm sure the top 4 are the obvious ones followed by either East Kilbride or Paisley. Or see above.

Cheers,

thats what i gambled on, no paying unless i see 2009 stats :santa5::smiliz64:

Top 6 are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness, Stirling

I'm pretty sure Falkirk has a larger population than Stirling.

jambojackbilly

I need stats please, because when i checked that was not the case

The most recent figures I can find (and that probably exist) are from a 2006 estimate by the General Register Office (http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/publications-and-data/settlements-and-localities/mid-2006-population-estimates-for-localities-in-scotland/list-of-tables.html). These give:

Glasgow 577,980 Edinburgh 446,110 Aberdeen 179,950 Dundee 141,930 East Kilbride 73,320 Paisley 73,190 Livingston 54,430 Cumbernauld 50,670 Hamilton 48,850 Kirkcaldy 48,090

I need stats please, because when i checked that was not the case

Principal Cities

Name Adm. CU E 2006-06-30

1 Glasgow GLC 634,680

2 Edinburgh CEB 446,110

3 Aberdeen ABC 179,950

4 Dundee DDC 151,820

5 East Kilbride SLN 73,320

6 Paisley REN 73,190

7 Livingston WLT 54,430

8 Cumbernauld NLN 50,670

9 Hamilton SLN 48,850

10 Kirkcaldy FIF 48,090

11 Ayr SAY 46,050

2006 BTW but I doubt they would catch the top 6, almost 20k behind.

From http://www.citypopulation.de/UK-Scotland.html

For those that are interested, the list continues:

Ayr 46,050 Dunfermline 44,950 Kilmarnock 44,030 Greenock 43,820 Perth 43,680 Inverness 42,400 Coatbridge 41,700 Glenrothes 38,800 Airdrie 35,520 Falkirk 33,700 Irvine 33,060 Stirling 33,060 Rutherglen 32,120 Dumfries 31,530 Motherwell 30,790 Wishaw 29,220 Clydebank 29,200 Bearsden 27,070 Cambuslang 24,580 Newton Mearns 23,460 Bishopbriggs 23,370 Arbroath 22,140 Musselburgh 21,840 Polmont 20,720 Elgin 20,330 Bellshill 20,200 Renfrew 20,020 etc...

Thats citys. Stirlings pop is about 42000, i've just come across a news article (East Kilbride claims scottish biggest town from Paisley, and its a recent article) http://www.s1homes.com/scottish-property-news/2009-09-17-1.shtml

So top 5 would be Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, East Kilbride then Paisley (Livi presumably 6th.

Principal Cities

1 Glasgow GLC 634,680

2 Edinburgh CEB 446,110

3 Aberdeen ABC 179,950

4 Dundee DDC 151,820

6 Paisley REN 73,190

7 Livingston WLT 54,430

8 Cumbernauld NLN 50,670

9 Hamilton SLN 48,850

10 Kirkcaldy FIF 48,090

11 Ayr SAY 46,050

Well that list is wrong because Inverness definitely has a population higher than 46,050.

Nicholas Brody
Well that list is wrong because Inverness definitely has a population higher than 46,050.

42,400 in 2006 from http://www.citypopulation.de/UK-Scotland.html but on wikipedia it says;

with an estimated population in 2006 of 54,000. (This figure of 54,000 is made up of the population of the census administrative area known as Inverness which was estimated at 46,100 plus the estimated 7,900 people living in the immediately adjacent urban settlement of the Culloden census administrative area - an area which covers Westhill, Smithton and Balloch as well as Culloden.)

It may have moved up the rankings since 2006 though;

The city is forecast to grow by approximately 40% over the next two decades. Inverness is Europe's fastest growing city.

Inverness aint a big place bud, Livingston is bigger for sure. These lists just show how small Scotland really is when you see the massive drop in population below the "big" 4 huh? Still love it though:) Apart from Glasgow. Obviously.

Add the 20,000 in Polmont to Falkirk. Beats me why they are separate.:smiliz23:

There is a wee explanation of how the GRO defines localities here: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/publications-and-data/settlements-and-localities/background-information-on-settlements-and-localities.html . In essence, I reckon that it's more historical than anything else, Polmont having become an independent parish in the 18th century.

Gobsmacked at the population of Stirling and Falkirk. I thought it was way more than that.

A lot of it is to do with the GRO definitions of "settlement" and "locality" (see the link in my post above). Settlements are based on density of population (when the density drops below a certain level, the settlement ends), whereas localities are subdivisions of settlements based on more historical divisions.

In the case you've mentioned, the localities of Stirling and Falkirk have 2006 population estimates of 33,060 and 33,700 respectively. However the surrounding settlements have population estimates of 45,460 and 97,180. This is because the settlement of Stirling also includes Bannockburn and Bridge of Allan, while the settlement of Falkirk also includes Carron, Grangemouth, Hallglen, Polmont and Stenhousemuir.

Thanks for the info red.

No problem Uber. :santa1: That's me all statisticked out now though...

The Glasgow example is even more complex. Clydebank, Bearsden/Milngavie, Bishopbriggs, Rutherglen/Burnside/Cambslang, Giffnock/Clarkston/Newton Mearns are not counted. But apart from the "welcome to" signs there is no obvious break in the conurbation. Settlement calculations would push Glasgow above 1 million, as Paisley/Johnstone/Renfrew would also have to be included.

portobellojambo1
The Glasgow example is even more complex. Clydebank, Bearsden/Milngavie, Bishopbriggs, Rutherglen/Burnside/Cambslang, Giffnock/Clarkston/Newton Mearns are not counted. But apart from the "welcome to" signs there is no obvious break in the conurbation. Settlement calculations would push Glasgow above 1 million, as Paisley/Johnstone/Renfrew would also have to be included.

I think they all come under what used to effectively be termed as Greater Glasgow BigD, which at one point in time measured a population of around 1.5 million. I think the actually City of Glasgow itself has a population of around 500,000 at this time, and Edinburgh is rapidly catching it population wise (this might be reflected in more up to date figures on this thread, which I've not really read in any sort of depth).

portobellojambo1
Principal Cities

1 Glasgow GLC 634,680

2 Edinburgh CEB 446,110

3 Aberdeen ABC 179,950

4 Dundee DDC 151,820

6 Paisley REN 73,190

7 Livingston WLT 54,430

8 Cumbernauld NLN 50,670

9 Hamilton SLN 48,850

10 Kirkcaldy FIF 48,090

11 Ayr SAY 46,050

Think from the link you provided BK the figures shown for 2006 are estimates (E), based on the figures produced for 2001. Whereas some cities populations are increasing the population of Glasgow is falling continually (which seems reasonable to expect, given anyone with half a brain would get out as soon as the chance offered itself). I honestly don't think there is a huge difference between the population of Edinburgh and Glasgow now, at one time it was in the hundreds of thousands, but now I would think it is probably as low as around 75,000, with Glasgow's population being about 540,000 and Edinburgh being at about 465,000.

southside1874

Cheers

We can all manipulate statistics and claim the ?50. As the thread shows:santa1:

Indeed, the settlement of Glasgow weighs in at 1,179,350 as it includes the localities of Airdrie, Bargeddie, Barrhead, Bearsden, Bellshill, Bishopbriggs, Bothwell, Busby, Calderbank, Cambuslang, Carfin, Carmunnock, Chapelhall, Clarkston, Clydebank, Coatbridge, Duntocher and Hardgate, Elderslie, Faifley, Giffnock, Hawkhead, Holytown, Howwood, Johnstone, Kilbarchan, Linwood, Milngavie, Milton, Motherwell, New Stevenston, Newarthill, Newmains, Newton Mearns, Old Kilpatrick, Paisley, Plains, Renfrew, Rutherglen, Stepps, Uddingston, Viewpark and Wishaw.

Accordingly, the settlement of Edinburgh is measured at 467,950, including the locality of Musselburgh.

The Old Tolbooth
Gobsmacked at the population of Stirling and Falkirk. I thought it was way more than that.

Also Motherwell!

I would have put money on Paisley being the largest town in Scotland behind the 4 cities.

Thanks for that Red. Really confused about a few of these though. There is grass betwen Glasgow and Carmunnock, and Coatbridge and Airdrie are definitely separate from the Glasgow conurbation. Wishy, Plains, Newmilns, the Motherwell conurbation, Kilbarchan , Howwood, Chapelhall, Carfin, Calderbank, Bellshill, are not part of Glasgow in any way. It is a real problem demarcating between physical and political geographies. But remember if it hadn't been for the Union, Edinburgh would be the largest city in Scotland and Hearts would have won the European Cup by now.

Inverness aint a big place bud, Livingston is bigger for sure. These lists just show how small Scotland really is when you see the massive drop in population below the "big" 4 huh? Still love it though:) Apart from Glasgow. Obviously.

Grew up in Inverness and live near there now. Can tell you for sure it has grown massively in last few years and population is way bigger than 46,000. It is not far shy of Paisley's size.

jambojackbilly
Also Motherwell!

I would have put money on Paisley being the largest town in Scotland behind the 4 cities.

I did :smiliz64:

You can find stats that show Livi has over 75k and Paisley E Kilbride with slightly less but nothing from 2009

I did :smiliz64:

You can find stats that show Livi has over 75k and Paisley E Kilbride with slightly less but nothing from 2009

You'll have to wait until after the next census (2011) to get exact figures (well, as exact as you're ever going to get anyway), and even then you'll have to agree for your bet whether you're going to be talking about settlements or localities. Hope you didn't bet your house on it. :santa1:

Thanks for that Red. Really confused about a few of these though. There is grass betwen Glasgow and Carmunnock, and Coatbridge and Airdrie are definitely separate from the Glasgow conurbation. Wishy, Plains, Newmilns, the Motherwell conurbation, Kilbarchan , Howwood, Chapelhall, Carfin, Calderbank, Bellshill, are not part of Glasgow in any way. It is a real problem demarcating between physical and political geographies. But remember if it hadn't been for the Union, Edinburgh would be the largest city in Scotland and Hearts would have won the European Cup by now.

I agree, Big D. I mean, why should Motherwell be counted as part of the Settlement of Glasgow but Hamilton be separate? I guess it all comes down to the method that the GRO chooses for determining the boundaries of "settlements" and the population density cut-off figure that they use. It may be that they use some sort of internationally-agreed figure for this, I have no idea. Personally I think that the Settlements don't have much meaning due to the sorts of points you pose.

AlphonseCapone
4.970, but remember it's quality, not quantity. :santa1:

Cheers! And your right, I present evidence A - SUBO!

Dont shoot me here but Livi may be the fifth largest going by that 2006 list that was put up. I am sure I saw a sign up in Livingston Centre saying it had a population of over 100,000 people.

AlphonseCapone
Dont shoot me here but Livi may be the fifth largest going by that 2006 list that was put up. I am sure I saw a sign up in Livingston Centre saying it had a population of over 100,000 people.

To be fair, I'm sure i've seen something like that. The place hasn't half grew.

Does the likes of East Calder count as Livingston? I suppose it would do eh. Im sure East Calder is about 7,000 maybe a bit less.

Does the likes of East Calder count as Livingston? I suppose it would do eh. Im sure East Calder is about 7,000 maybe a bit less.

It's just under 6,000 actually. My bad! :santa1:

AlphonseCapone

East calder is more populated than Blackburn!!! Wouldn't have said that! I don't know how it works officially but I personally wouldn't classify it as Livingston!

Bonnyrigg almost caught up with Gala. :santa1:

Galashiels,"14,090"

Bonnyrigg,"14,080"

Helensburgh,"14,020"

Forfar,"13,500"

Archived