Best Foreign language film

Carl Weathers

Some great ones listed (and yes, Dead Snow is quality!). Glad Infernal Affairs has been mentioned along with The Orphanage and Brotherhood of the Wolf.

There is also a really watchable Italian film surrounding the assasination of anti-mafia judge Giovanni Falcone...can't remember the name, but was very good!

City of God

La Haine

Pan's Labyrinth

Amores Perros

Bus 174

Run Lola Run

The Lives of Others

Tsotsi

Oldboy

Carandiru

Central Station

Another film I remember seeing and enjoying was Proc.

I think it was a Czech film about football hooligans.

Black Book (Denmark)

Good Shout, Also recently watched L?t den r?tte komma in (Let the right one in) which is a Swedish Vampire film.

Moon Child

Oldboy

Brotherhood

A Better Tomorrow 2

Bullet In The Head

Battle Royale

Shiri

District 13

Infernal Affairs

Grave Of The Fireflies

The question was best foreign film. Not all the one's you've seen and liked.

I would like to add The City of Lost Children starring Ron Perlman to the great list.

Seconded. Fabulous film.

Surely ye can only make a judgement on the films you've actually watched tho.

Anyone mentioned man bites dog yet????

cracking film also some cracking films already mentioned.

Jambojohnnyboy

You got me, those were the 1st ones that popped into my head. The best foreign films made are Bronx Warriors and Escape From The Bronx. :santa5:

cant beleive the following havent yet been mentioned

a bout de souffle (breathless)

bande a parte.

les diaboliques. stunning movie, will never forget seeing it for the first time, what an ending!!.

rififi, one of the best crime heist movies ever made. more up to date but 36 is a brilliant movie, billed as the french "heat".

other favorites are malena, city of god, amelie, downfall,gomorah.

My top 5:

El orfanato (The Orphanage)

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo (Brotherhood)

El laberinto del fauno (Pans Labyrinth)

Der Untergang (Downfall)

La haine

There is no such thing as a good foreign language film. If I wanted to read for 90 minutes, I'd buy a book.

Hearts fans were once the most feared supporters in the UK. Now they're talking about art house foreign language films. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. :peepwall:

There is no such thing as a good foreign language film. If I wanted to read for 90 minutes, I'd buy a book.

Hearts fans were once the most feared supporters in the UK. Now they're talking about art house foreign language films. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. :peepwall:

Get out of the 70's. Hearts fans are intellectuals these days. :santa1:

Carl Weathers

You should give some of them a try.

Subtitles don't really detract from my enjoyment of a film.

You should give some of them a try.

Subtitles don't really detract from my enjoyment of a film.

If one is reading one's way through a film one cannot see what is happening on screen.

If one is reading one's way through a film one cannot see what is happening on screen.

Most people's brains are clever enough to assimilate the subtitles and the action so that after a very short while they even forget they are reading subtitles. Is that not how it works for you? :smiliz64:

I guess some of us have evolved more than others.

---------------------------

Another two to add to the list:-

Intimate Enemies (based on the French-Algerian war)

Molena (set in Sicily during WW2)

I guess some of us have evolved more than others.

---------------------------

Another two to add to the list:-

Intimate Enemies (based on the French-Algerian war)

Molena (set in Sicily during WW2)

Being from the land of Rab C isn't Trainspotting a foreign language film for you?:santa1:

Being from the land of Rab C isn't Trainspotting a foreign language film for you?:santa1:

Not from Glasgow despite living there. But you are right, being from Comely Bank, Trainspotting was foreign to my ears. ;)

Most Hearts fans come from the intellectual centre of Scotland, Therapist; one of Europe's great cities. A place steeped in history, culture, politics, science, philosophy... you name it. If association football had been around during his time, I'm confident that David Hume would've been a Hearts fan. :santa2:

I never thought I'd see an admission of slow-wittedness from you on here. Looks like you have plenty to learn after all... :santa1:

Not from Glasgow despite living there. But you are right, being from Comely Bank, Trainspotting was foreign to my ears. ;)

And you accuse me of having Pat Boone records!:elvis:

Archived