Jehovah's Witnesses

irontart

what do these people do for Christmas?:santa1:

They don't celebrate it. They have what's called a family day.

Religious intolerance is soooooooo cool, eh.

Used to have a couple off then at school, they couldn't do any off the christmas activities, wee shame for them!

Used to get left behind ha ha

I'll take a stab in the dark here, but they probably do the same as what Jews and every other non Christian devout does around this time of year?

The People's Chimp
I'll take a stab in the dark here, but they probably do the same as what Jews and every other non Christian devout does around this time of year?

Why do the Jehovah's witnesses celebrate Hanukkah?

hanukkah_theme_5.jpg

blondejamtart

The family next door to us are JWs and when my son was wee, he asked their grand-daughter why they didn't have Christmas and she told him it was because Jesus didn't like Christmas. He couldn't understand why Jesus didn't like his own birthday...:santa1:

I'll tell you what they don't do: blood transfusions.

3 JW (a man, a woman and a little boy) visited a colleague of mine, he opened the door and they introduced themselves as JWs, he then waited for the bloke to finish his sentence before looking at the little boy and asked him 'Did you know that your parents would rather let you die than let you have a blood transfusion if you needed one ?' There was a stoney silence, he then went into the house and shut the front door behind him.

3 JW (a man, a woman and a little boy) visited a colleague of mine, he opened the door and they introduced themselves as JWs, he then waited for the bloke to finish his sentence before looking at the little boy and asked him 'Did you know that your parents would rather let you die than let you have a blood transfusion if you needed one ?' There was a stoney silence, he then went into the house and shut the front door behind him.

Priceless

My line to the anti-blood transfusion argument to them is: "Please show me in the good book where the Lord considers haemoglobin to be be sinful and I might begin to consider to take you guys seriously!"

The White Cockade

Probably same as any other day - put on smart suits and go door chappin'

a wee boy with JW parents at my son's school had to leave the room when one of the kids had a birthday party FFS

They are fruitcakes

Some bloke made up their rules without I assume any divine intervention

We had one who was an art teacher at our school. Every time he went to give you the belt, he would belt 7 colours, art teacher, out of the desks. Being model pupils at the top school in Edinburgh, this didn't happen very often.

No wait I was a wee scrote from Craigroyston, so it happened at least once an hour to the poor guy.

The White Cockade
Unlike the other religions... :smiliz21:

I'm an atheist mate but is Christianity not based on God's word?

Ten comandments and all that

but I take your point

Just can't get my head round them stopping their kids going to parties

I'm an atheist mate but is Christianity not based on God's word?

Ten comandments and all that

but I take your point

Just can't get my head round them stopping their kids going to parties

Sounds like the wee frees.....there'll be no music or dancing here!!

The family next door to us are JWs and when my son was wee, he asked their grand-daughter why they didn't have Christmas and she told him it was because Jesus didn't like Christmas. He couldn't understand why Jesus didn't like his own birthday...:santa1:

i'm not a christian and even i know that the jesus dude that people go on about wasn't born on the 25th of december

The White Cockade

aye musical instruments are evil!!

not sure when they reckon the world will end now though

it was 1925 and then 1975 must be soon though because they stated that millions of people alive in 1914 will still be alive when it happens.....

on a tangent have those other loonies the Scientologists still got that scabby wee room on the Bridges?

Has anyone ever gone in for a "free personality test"!!

aye musical instruments are evil!!

not sure when they reckon the world will end now though

it was 1925 and then 1975 must be soon though because they stated that millions of people alive in 1914 will still be alive when it happens.....

on a tangent have those other loonies the Scientologists still got that scabby wee room on the Bridges?

Has anyone ever gone in for a "free personality test"!!

I went in for one in Portland, Oregon, because it was peeing it down and I needed shelter from the rain. It was a complete hoot. Declined on their delightful offer to buy the book though... :santa1:

Snake Plissken

The one thing Jehova's witnesses have in common is that not one of them has ever witnessed Jehova. :smiliz57:

The one thing Jehova's witnesses have in common is that not one of them has ever witnessed Jehova. :smiliz57:

lev24.jpg

My line to the anti-blood transfusion argument to them is: "Please show me in the good book where the Lord considers haemoglobin to be be sinful and I might begin to consider to take you guys seriously!"

They misinterpret (and indeed misquote) Leviticus 17:10-14

It talks about not eating the blood of an animal because the 'life force' of that animal is in it's blood.

They interpret that as meaning 'don't mess with blood, blood is important to God, it has a spiritual significance, it should be treated with respect and deference'.

My issue is with their stand is;

Firstly, life is important to God, significant etc. lets do what we can to save it.

Secondly, it's a Levitical law, which Jesus redeemed in his death, Christians are no longer under the law.

Thirdly, blood is important to God and it does have spiritual significance, but it's significance is always wrapped up in salvation, from the Paschal lamb to the vicarious substitution of the cross, blood saves man.

Incidentally there are some Christians who will not eat black pudding for religious reasons. Mental, black pudding is delicious! They are mostly the same ones who won't go the pictures, frown on dancing, are tea-total and are generally miserable.

And it's not the Wee Frees either, Wee Frees are cool now! Some of the funnest, partyingest people I know!

I've kept them at my door, in the rain, for more than an hour before, arguing with every point they made, until I managed to stump them with something they couldnt answer.

One of them (the quiet one at the back) even seemed genuinely impressed by the logic used, so I think I may have beaten them at their own game and actually turned one of their own.

jamboinglasgow

well of course, they are opposed to sex...as it may lead to dancing.

I've kept them at my door, in the rain, for more than an hour before, arguing with every point they made, until I managed to stump them with something they couldnt answer.

One of them (the quiet one at the back) even seemed genuinely impressed by the logic used, so I think I may have beaten them at their own game and actually turned one of their own.

i'd invite them in for a cuppa and do the exact same. zero chance of them coming round here though. theres one comes into my work and told me she was scared of dying. i told her it can't be that bad since it happens to everyone. why would anyone want to live forever?? she couldn't really answer that very well

They misinterpret (and indeed misquote) Leviticus 17:10-14

It talks about not eating the blood of an animal because the 'life force' of that animal is in it's blood.

They interpret that as meaning 'don't mess with blood, blood is important to God, it has a spiritual significance, it should be treated with respect and deference'.

My issue is with their stand is;

Firstly, life is important to God, significant etc. lets do what we can to save it.

Secondly, it's a Levitical law, which Jesus redeemed in his death, Christians are no longer under the law.

Thirdly, blood is important to God and it does have spiritual significance, but it's significance is always wrapped up in salvation, from the Paschal lamb to the vicarious substitution of the cross, blood saves man.

Incidentally there are some Christians who will not eat black pudding for religious reasons. Mental, black pudding is delicious! They are mostly the same ones who won't go the pictures, frown on dancing, are tea-total and are generally miserable.

And it's not the Wee Frees either, Wee Frees are cool now! Some of the funnest, partyingest people I know!

This is why I love JKB :santa2::santa3::santa2:

The People's Chimp

To be fair to the wee frees, everyone I know from Stornoway and environs is a mad mentalist and great crack. They fairly know how to drink. Also, they make the finest black pudding in the world.

Having said that, when my dad was 13 he went to a Piping school on Skye for the summer, and a minister on the island led a campaign to have them Kicked off as messengers of the devil.

blondejamtart
i'm not a christian and even i know that the jesus dude that people go on about wasn't born on the 25th of december

Yes, but I was talking about kids around the age of five or six - and that's what they're told at school!

jambojackbilly

Had a right few chap the door over the yrs.Always polite and impeccably dressed

One thing i have noticed about my encounters with Jehovah door chappers is i ain't never seen a black one :smiliz23:

Had a right few chap the door over the yrs.Always polite and impeccably dressed

One thing i have noticed about my encounters with Jehovah door chappers is i ain't never seen a black one :smiliz23:

Good call JJB, I hadn't thought about that. A quick search on the internet came up with this article - it's a bit dated (c.1994), US-centric and not the easiest of reading, but still interesting all the same... http://www.seanet.com/~raines/discrimination.html

Commander Harris

Corrrect, the image of the so called "wee frees" is ridiculously out of step with the reality these days, and probably always was to some extent.

P.S. I abstain from black pudding, mainly because it's rank though. :D

I'll tell you what they don't do: blood transfusions.

My understanding is that they do - just not some other mutha's blood.

Basically you stockpile your own.

Or maybe that's just some liberal JW offshoot.

Well experienced in JW's. When we came to Canada one of the motivations was to be part of a big family. My wife had six brothers and three sisters. Much to our chagrin two of the sisters and three brothers became JW's. After many arguements and preaching about everlasting life we became members of a fairly small family.

My wife had six brothers and three sisters.

Is your wife from Fauldhouse ??? :winkiss:

Actually she was born and raised in Morse, Saskatchewan on a small farm. I don't know if you know Saskatchewan it can be bleak in the winter, and in the thirties no electricity, no TV, guess what they done to keep warm and for entertainment. The difference between the German stock in Saskatchewan and Fauldhouse was they inherited a sound work ethic.:santa4:

Say What Again

I got one of those Jehovahs Witness advent calenders this year.

I opened the first door and there were 2 of the ****ers behind it.

Archived