sitting with your foot on the brakes

boy_in_maroon

boy_in_maroon

does it annoy you when the driver in front of you at traffic lights sits with his/her foot on the brake peddle?, cars of today with brake lights all over the back of the car, its like driving along the golden mile. :57:

Drives me mad, but I do it anyway as I drive an automatic and it's recommended in the manual that you hold it on the brakes when stationary. If I'm at lights for a long time I will put it into "park"

Drives me mad, but I do it anyway as I drive an automatic and it's recommended in the manual that you hold it on the brakes when stationary. If I'm at lights for a long time I will put it into "park"

Snap.

alwaysthereinspirit
does it annoy you when the driver in front of you at traffic lights sits with his/her foot on the brake peddle?, cars of today with brake lights all over the back of the car, its like driving along the golden mile. :57:

Maybe the car is an automatic.

If im stopped at a light and its flat, or slightly downhill then yes I always sit with my foot on the brake pedal, however if im on a slope then the handbrake goes on because my clutch control is the absolute pits. Nothing worse than hill starts IMO.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Very well thank you. However once you start to own prestige brands they tend to be automatic.

Ha. Owned.:2thumbsup:

Johanes de Silentio

Doesn't bother me - I like to be able to see what the **** in front of me is up to - sometimes the break light is as good as an indicator, isn't it?

Miller Jambo 60

Yes, laziness and bad driving, plus you can burn the bulbs out.

And people that smoke, as bad as mobis.

Drink drivers, people that dont indicate on roundabouts, bus lane users,cracks me up.

And the worst.

Anyone that passes me, whats that about:smiley2:

Chaka Demus & pliers

Drink drivers, people that dont indicate on roundabouts, bus lane users,cracks me up.

And the worst.

Not much that annoys you then?!:hat2:

What gets me about the bus lanes is the number of people who will not drive in them at times when they are not in force. I have had people toot their horns and shout at me for driving past them in the bus lane over half an hour after the restrictions had ended!!

Back to the original point I don't sit with my foot on the brake other than the odd occasion when there is an attractive female driving the car behind so I can get a better look at her.

Reading this it seems I might be annoying said female by doing so - oh well

If im stopped at a light and its flat, or slightly downhill then yes I always sit with my foot on the brake pedal, however if im on a slope then the handbrake goes on because my clutch control is the absolute pits. Nothing worse than hill starts IMO.

Female post IMO.

Miller Jambo 60

What gets me about the bus lanes is the number of people who will not drive in them at times when they are not in force. I have had people toot their horns and shout at me for driving past them in the bus lane over half an hour after the restrictions had ended!!

Back to the original point I don't sit with my foot on the brake other than the odd occasion when there is an attractive female driving the car behind so I can get a better look at her.

Aye the Glasgow road has split shifts for buses using them whereas calder road is all day.

Dont know why.

Never thought about the light trick for the bird behind me.

Cheers.

Heading into Edinburgh from Penicuik is the worst. Just past the bypass bridge at Straiton there's a bus lane on the dual carriageway up past Burdiehouse. People come off the roundabout in the inside lane, see the bus lane about to start, don;t bother their arse to check the times it operates on the big sign next to it, then suddenly swerve in front of you into the outside lane. Also seem to think they don;t need to indicate either.

******s

Miller Jambo 60
Heading into Edinburgh from Penicuik is the worst. Just past the bypass bridge at Straiton there's a bus lane on the dual carriageway up past Burdiehouse. People come off the roundabout in the inside lane, see the bus lane about to start, don;t bother their arse to check the times it operates on the big sign next to it, then suddenly swerve in front of you into the outside lane. Also seem to think they don;t need to indicate either.

******s

And the police pull loads for going up that bus lane.

What gets me about the bus lanes is the number of people who will not drive in them at times when they are not in force.

The first Mrs Therapist failed her driving test for that precise fault.

The first Mrs Therapist failed her driving test for that precise fault.

I hope the beating you gave her for that was swift and brutal.

Mind you women only pass these things as a token gesture...they really shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

they really shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

Correct. They are absolutely dreadful so shouldn't be encouraged.

aye my car is automatic so you have to place your foot on the brake when in slow moving traffic.

And the worst.

What about people driving with their fog lights on when its not foggy?

Miller Jambo 60
What about people driving with their fog lights on when its not foggy?

Forgot about that one, feel angry now.

Buses that pull out in front of me.

Happened 3 days ago outside the maybury roadhouse, blasted my horn and flashed.

Dont know why the driver sped off , never seen a bus go so fast.

People on the bypass that overtake you to leave the bypass at the next sliproad which is about 20 yds in front of you when their passing.

Tubes or what.

Aye theres some eeeegits on the road.

Forgot about that one, feel angry now.

Buses that pull out in front of me.

Happened 3 days ago outside the maybury roadhouse, blasted my horn and flashed.

Dont know why the driver sped off , never seen a bus go so fast.

People on the bypass that overtake you to leave the bypass at the next sliproad which is about 20 yds in front of you when their passing.

Tubes or what.

Aye theres some eeeegits on the road.

Sorry for making you angry. Your making me laugh.

The bypass one is just stupid and dangerous driving though. You've got to wonder how some people managed to pass their test.

I spent a lot of money on my motor. If I want to get maximum value from it by pressing the brake pedal at traffic lights, then that's just what I'll do. :2thumbsup:

If I don't put my foot on the brake at lights the guy behind me will be happy, but the guy in front of me who's fender I just dented will be I assume less pleased. I drive as others on here an automatic vehicle.:th_o:

Some drivers are actually funny but also a bit crazy that you think they should not be on the road. I was approaching lights where there was a queue of about 4 cars so instead of going fast and having to stop at the lights I decided just to go quite slowly probably about 200 yards uphill. The guy behind me decides that me approaching these lights at this speed was not good enough for him so decides to over take me then drive quickly up to the lights where he has to slam on the brakes and wait like the rest of us. In my eyes this was the most pointless thing I have ever been involved in while driving.

Still I am sure he got alot of pleasure out of overtaking a car doing about 20mph. I know I would!

I only use the handbrake to park or if I've been stationary for long enough. I have good enough clutch control to enable me to sit with my foot on the brake wherever. Do any of you move along during a jam or something putting the handbrake on and off every time you move a cars length?

Nucky Thompson
I only use the handbrake to park or if I've been stationary for long enough. I have good enough clutch control to enable me to sit with my foot on the brake wherever. Do any of you move along during a jam or something putting the handbrake on and off every time you move a cars length?
Same. I never use the hand brake unless I've came to a stand still.

Arnold Rothstein

While we're on driving gripes....... my current pet hate is when people (mainly women it has to be said - not sexist just fact) indicate right when they get to a roundabout when they are going straight on. They seem to think you must indicate no matter what when you reach a roundabout. Does my nut in.

alwaysthereinspirit

Thing that p!$$es me off the most when driving is people cutting out of side streets into traffic at 70 miles an hour only to drive at 20 miles an hour once in front of you. Hate that.

Yup pain in the *rse.

It is a requirement in your driving test to use your hand brake in this situation aswell (if it's a manual of course).

Whilst we are on motoring gripes.

***** who do 70 on the motorway and think cause they are doing 70 must stay on the outside lane ,despite the fact the inside lane is clear for miles.

Using the brake pedal, I like to tap out the beat of the tune I'm listening whilst stationary.

Light entertainment Valderrama?

Well that all depends on what I'm listening to!! Some tracks are hard to keep up with..

The Old Tolbooth

***** who do 70 on the motorway and think cause they are doing 70 must stay on the outside lane ,despite the fact the inside lane is clear for miles.

That one rips my knitting too mate, I hate it!

Also, when there's the tiniest bit of fog and folk drive with fog lights on and you can see for miles, grrrr!

Nucky Thompson

That does my nut in too. Middle lane hoggers on a 3 lane motorway when the inside is clear for miles:realmad:

Aye the fog ones bad, last couple of days being the case. They're to be used if you can see no further than 100 ft in front. Very rare for it to be this bad in the city or on the motorway..

Handbrake on if stopping for more than a few seconds. Prevents the brake lights blinding drivers behind you for no good reason as boy_in_maroon mentioned. The other reason is that if someone comes into the back of you, the impact may cause your foot to slip off the brake and send you into the car in front whereas the handbrake may still hold you.

Johanes de Silentio

70 is the legal limit, is it not? Are you Lee Miller? :th_o:

Why is it that certain folk think that a particular law does not apply to them - is there something special about certain individuals that think they are too cool to drive at the legal limit? :smiley2:

Archived