Play piece, Tuck money or Snack money.

jambogarry

What did you call it when at school.

For me it was play piece.

My mum would always give me play piece in the morning, failing that she would give me tuck money.

Snack money just dont sound right.

Thoughts.

i had pre payed school lunches so didn't need any money. Sometimes took an apple with me and maybe a carton of ribena.

i had pre payed school lunches so didn't need any money. Sometimes took an apple with me and maybe a carton of ribena.

So that would be a play piece Mr Picard.

This was for break time and not lunch time .

I was also on pre payed school lunches. Spam fritters MMmmmm.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Play piece! Consumed at play-time!!

Possible play-piece items for me included...

A Penguin (biscuit)

Iced Gems

Golden Wonder- Salt and vinegar

siiiiiiiiiiighhhhh........ :2thumbsup:

A Penguin (biscuit)[/B]

Iced Gems

Glad you cleared that up mothy...:10900:

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Glad you cleared that up mothy...:10900:

:10900:

Funny thought though eh?... There is an advert on Forth One at the moment that has kids listing what they want for christmas and one of them wants a penguin, it for adopting an animal from Edinburgh Zoo.

Just wouldn't be the same if you could not take them home though... I would call him Percy and teach him to ride a unicycle while wearing a tiny top-hat... Penguins are cheap and can be coerced into doing things with the promise of fish!

So that would be a play piece Mr Picard.

This was for break time and not lunch time .

I was also on pre payed school lunches. Spam fritters MMmmmm.

ah.

Well I never called it that.

Later on in primary school I rebelled against the school lunches and started playing football at lunch times. then I got a peanut butter sandwich. or maybe corn beef.

ah.

Well I never called it that.

Later on in primary school I rebelled against the school lunches and started playing football at lunch times. then I got a peanut butter sandwich. or maybe corn beef.

Rebel without a cause! like it.:10900:

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Play piece when I was a bairn. My lot now call it 'tuck'

All the old traditions are dying out... Gone are the days of trying to eat your play-piece while having a quick game of 'dodgy' at play-time.... siiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhh!

All the old traditions are dying out... Gone are the days of trying to eat your play-piece while having a quick game of 'dodgy' at play-time.... siiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhh!

Think it derives from the 'tuck shop' at school. That was High School though. Sausage rolls etc. Them were the days!

The school dinner menu is terrible now. Bring back sausage rolls chips and beans! Then cake abd 2p custard!

then oot into the playground for a game of kiss, cuddle or torture! (a knee in the hee haws tae!)

Scaff :D

Oi! That was the done thing in the 80's! Shan when faither went back to work though. Had to go home dinners and have soup or somethin else cheap.

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Think it derives from the 'tuck shop' at school. That was High School though. Sausage rolls etc. Them were the days!

The school dinner menu is terrible now. Bring back sausage rolls chips and beans! Then cake abd 2p custard!

then oot into the playground for a game of kiss, cuddle or torture! (a knee in the hee haws tae!)

:10900: siiiiiiighhhhhhh...

I invented a game called split-up chainy...

It was just chainy (chain-tig) but instead of having to hold your pals hand (gay :2thumbsup:) you all split up and tried to catch the others... Now here's the important part though, you had to hold any new captures until the others who were 'it' could tag them too... This led to tremendous scuffles and pannicky struggles as the enemy closed in and you tried to escape... Never put copy-right on it though as I thought it was too much of a national institution to be denied to the masses.

The above game was better than high-tig and on a par with dodgy.

siiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhh!

:10900: siiiiiiighhhhhhh...

I invented a game called split-up chainy...

It was just chainy (chain-tig) but instead of having to hold your pals hand (gay :2thumbsup:) you all split up and tried to catch the others... Now here's the important part though, you had to hold any new captures until the others who were 'it' could tag them too... This led to tremendous scuffles and pannicky struggles as the enemy closed in and you tried to escape... Never put copy-right on it though as I thought it was too much of a national institution to be denied to the masses.

The above game was better than high-tig and on a par with dodgy.

siiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhh!

...then you get to p7 and play 'hunt the *******'

Oh how the hours flew by at Gracemount! :stuart:

Haha I remember that, one of the boys I played that with lives at the end of my street :curtain::nah:

Play piece for me :stuart:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Oh how the hours flew by at Gracemount! :stuart:

Was Deanpark for me... A friend of mine at the time used to run around singing Michael Jackson songs when we were playing these games but he would always get them hilariously wrong... My favourite was when he would get 'Smooth Criminal' wrong, he sang...

"So Eddie are you walking, are you walking, are you walking Eddie?"

The above is something I now refer to as a Ralphism (Someone got me a book of 'Ralph' from the Simpsons full of songs he gets the title wrong of) and in tribute to this I am just about to start a new thread, asking if anyone can come up with any more!

And the **** was nearly always the same person (usually the cheeky git). Quite often the whole of p7 was after one guy who never escaped play time without a shoeing, or ever had his play piece

Snack or play piece.

Break time was good enough for a quick sesh of British bulldogs on the grass but our school started puting a 'red flag' up when it was wet meaning we had to play shapes or 'chuckie' with a tennis ball or play football on the concrete.

Lunch time was much the same when the red flag was still up but during the summer months everyone resorted to packed lunches instead of school dinners so we could eat outside and then play football.

Snack time favourites included: Iced Gems, Wagon Wheels, Um Bungo or a 4 finger kit kat.

Play peice , also remember spam fritters for lunch then **** and commandoes in the playground until the bell went.

Radioactive Mince

Play piece for me. Remember things like Fish 'N' Chips (they were great), 10p mix-ups, Jaw Breakers, Space Raiders/Tangy Toms. Oh, and 5p warm school milk. Yeuch! I was a primary kid during the mid-late Thatcher years.

EDIT: Any 80s kids remember Fiendish Feet?

Mince

Play piece for me. Remember things like Fish 'N' Chips (they were great), 10p mix-ups, Jaw Breakers, Space Raiders/Tangy Toms. Oh, and 5p warm school milk. Yeuch! I was a primary kid during the mid-late Thatcher years.

Mince

Love them all:2thumbsup:

Oilrig chews at half pence each from the old cafe-chippy up the gilly village.

Play piece....

A Wagon Wheel..which seemed absolutely enormous then. The staple diet of "**** and commandos" :)

As was a Banjo biscuit.:2thumbsup:

Miller Jambo 60

My mum would always give me play piece in the morning, failing that she would give me tuck money.

Thoughts.

Play piece was for wimps i had the hearts box wi 2 tinees.

Play piece. Used to have dinner tickets for lunch. When I think back to meals we used to have at lunch, at the time I thought it was rank. Wouldn't turn them away now!

One thing I've never managed to find was the burgers you used to get with lashings of gravy. The closest I've came across were HAMburgers. Actually made out of ham and not beef.

It was "play piece" for me too. I also remember that when I went swimming on a Saturday I always had money for a "chittery bite". Did anyone else ever use that term?

It was "play piece" for me too. I also remember that when I went swimming on a Saturday I always had money for a "chittery bite". Did anyone else ever use that term?

No. :10900:

Capri-sun and a packet of Hula Hoops.

When I was in P4, fanta brought out Icy Lemon flavour and I took a can of that everyday. I was so cool and badass because I drank from a can.

Was a play piece for me.

See that's where it was great that there was far more girls than boys in my class :2thumbsup:

Other classic play time things that I can remember was British Bulldogs, marbles (until they got banned after someone smashed a window) and playing pogs.

We only got to play football for one lunch time a week after we were about 9, because they'd pretty much banned it when one girl got hit by a ball and her parents were high up on the school board. I'm still raging about that now!

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I wasn't fed by my parents as a child and had to fend for myself by way of foraging in the woods and trapping wild animals to survive.

Playpiece:smiley2:

That phrase gets used with my daughter now, although at times she will ask for tuck money

Play piece,

Remember when you went away with school for a day trip and had ate your food before you got there....

Play piece,

Remember when you went away with school for a day trip and had ate your food before you got there....

And be sick on the way back..... and your mates mum who was helping out for the day would cuddle you and she had big Boobs.:2thumbsup::qqb017:

Errrrr Sorry:hat2:.........!!!!.

heartsglorioushearts

A Penguin (biscuit)

Iced Gems

Changed days now, my kids were not allowed any snacks that were in a "pack", ie. no crisps, sweets, anything in a bag. Had to be a bit of fruit or the like. Used to have a giggle as the queue in the corner shop after school was miles long. Obviously the kids making up for the lack of sugar in school!

portobellojambo1

Funny thought though eh?... There is an advert on Forth One at the moment that has kids listing what they want for christmas and one of them wants a penguin, it for adopting an animal from Edinburgh Zoo.

Just wouldn't be the same if you could not take them home though... I would call him Percy and teach him to ride a unicycle while wearing a tiny top-hat... Penguins are cheap and can be coerced into doing things with the promise of fish!

It's what they do once they've had the fish that is the problem. They produce a variety of sh*te that smells worse than any other sh*te known to man.

In relation to the actual OP's question I'm of an age where it was referred to as a play piece.

Thoughts.

Play piece went with you to school (from yer ma). Tuck money was to buy crisps (usually) from the tuck shop. Snack money was never used at East Calder Primary 1987-89, Armadale Primary 1989-91 or Boghall Primary 1991-94.

Play piece could also be extracted from what was intended to be a packed lunch.

And be sick on the way back..... and your mates mum who was helping out for the day would cuddle you and she had big Boobs.:2thumbsup::qqb017:

Errrrr Sorry:hat2:.........!!!!.

I love a line from an Adrian Mole book describing his class's trip to London:

07.00 All on bus.

07.05 Eat packed lunch.

Mince

The same as a 10p mixture?

it was play piece for me also.my mum says "shivery bite".she has doric blood in her and i think its comes from there.im away to google it.

just done a quick google and nothing about doric

Archived