Random Fact That Surprised Me

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

50.01 miles per hour is the tacitly agreed speed lorry drivers must adopt, when overtaking another vehicle doing 50 mph on motorways.

Rafael Ravenscroft, who played the solo in Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street was taught to play the saophone by Bob Holness out of Countdown.

Bob Holness from, Can't remember the programme, Just remember "I'll have a P please Bob...Snigger" Played James Bond BEFORE Sean Connery!!

I P Knightley
Blockbusters ?

Or

Richard Whiteley ?

Blockbusters of course. :doh:

Everyone knows that Richard Whitely couldn't play the saxophone but was a concert grade timpani player.

The distance between your wrist and your elbow is the same as the size of your feet.

That's a handy one for next time I want new shoes. I can just send in the sleeve of a shirt.

The word "wharf" is an acronym.

I didn't know that, what is it then?

Scuba is also an acronym

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus if that's what an acronym is.

The Slipper Limpet grows in wee stacks, youngest limpets at the top, oldest at the bottom. As they grow old, they change sex: the old ones at the bottom are female: when they die, the males above them change sex.

If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).

Boca Juniors and River Plate used to both play in all white. So they decided to have a game where the losers would have to change their team colours.

Boca lost, so had to decide on new colours. They decided which ever national flag was on the next boat into port was, they'd use those colours. It was Swedish...

Chaka Demus & pliers
If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

Surely they would all be too tired to reproduce after walking in a line so long?

I P Knightley
I didn't know that, what is it then?

Scuba is also an acronym

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus if that's what an acronym is.

Ware House At River Front.

Radar's another - but it's not a fact that surprised me so I never mentioned it. I only learnt about the 'wharf' on yesterday when I was in Canary Wharf.

Ware House At River Front.

Radar's another - but it's not a fact that surprised me so I never mentioned it. I only learnt about the 'wharf' on yesterday when I was in Canary Wharf.

Velly intellesting. :smiley2: However, wharf actually comes from the Anglo-Saxon "hwearf" (bank or shore). Sorry Ivan. :curtain:

I P Knightley
Velly intellesting. :smiley2: However, wharf actually comes from the Anglo-Saxon "hwearf" (bank or shore). Sorry Ivan. :curtain:

That would explain why I was surprised by the acronym "fact". I've been at the Museum of the Docklands where they tell us all about the wharves back in the early days and I know they weren't crazy on acronyms back in the day.

I was going to get the dictionary definition of 'gullible' to put up to describe myself but I once heard that 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary so I didn't try to look it up - I'm not going to be caught out twice in one week :)

Wharf is actually a backronym.

Not a lot of people in Thameside know that. :curtain:

Should "backronym" be in the 'new words' thread?

That would explain why I was surprised by the acronym "fact". I've been at the Museum of the Docklands where they tell us all about the wharves back in the early days and I know they weren't crazy on acronyms back in the day.

I was going to get the dictionary definition of 'gullible' to put up to describe myself but I once heard that 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary so I didn't try to look it up - I'm not going to be caught out twice in one week :)

Should "backronym" be in the 'new words' thread?

:10900:

Strangely enough, and this is the truth, although people tried to explain what it meant to me, I just couldn't understand what the word "naive" meant until I was about 20. :smiley2:

Archived