Dylan's favourite singer passes away

Ulysses

"I never heard a singer as good as him ever. He was just the best ballad singer I ever heard in my life, still is probably."

- Bob Dylan

"I don't think the cosmos would shed a tear over the extinction of this species. The ambivalence that I have about ageing is that while I recognise the transience of things, nonetheless, things matter to me now. When I'm in the middle of a song, life matters!"

- Liam Clancy, 1935-2009

song written by eric bogle from peebles.he also wrote green fields of france.

sorry to hear about Liam although my personal favourite of the four was always Tommy Makem

"I never heard a singer as good as him ever. He was just the best ballad singer I ever heard in my life, still is probably."

- Bob Dylan

"I don't think the cosmos would shed a tear over the extinction of this species. The ambivalence that I have about ageing is that while I recognise the transience of things, nonetheless, things matter to me now. When I'm in the middle of a song, life matters!"

- Liam Clancy, 1935-2009

Wouldn't Woody Guthrie be a candidate for Dylan's favourite singer?

Incidentally Dear Administrator, I am just getting into A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man . Do you still use "to peach on somebody" "to do something for cod" and "to pandy" in Dublin? Are these Dublin / Ireland-specific words or had I just never heard them (with those meanings)?

A bit of poetic licence? What harm? ;)

They made big claims for Hector Nicol when he faced the music...

Anything on James Joyce?

Do you still use "to peach on somebody" "to do something for cod" and "to pandy" in Dublin?

Nope. I'm not codding. :stuart:

Sad news - he did have a great voice and it brings back great memories.

I remember when I was young in the sixties my mum and dad having a Clancy Bros (featuring Tommy Makem) LP all with their arran sweaters on the cover. My mum and dad also had The Beatles and Frank Sinatra.

Have just listened to the Waltzing Matilda link and cannot believe that it was about the Galipoli and the aussies in the First World War. It is funny you associate Rolf Harris with the song and don't really think what the words are about.

Moving song and you have to respect Dylan.

- Bob Dylan

- Liam Clancy, 1935-2009

That's a genuinely moving .

Archived