Wenger is a big-nosed French git

deesidejambo

All down to Wenger my hole!

Fergie had adopted "the continental way" long before Whinger showed up. Paul McGrath and many more will testify to that!

Ahhhh I see. You like Man United so your to far up Fergies bottom to realise what Wenger has done for the game.

It is ALL down to Wenger.

All down to Wenger my hole!

Fergie had adopted "the continental way" long before Whinger showed up. Paul McGrath and many more will testify to that!

Ferguson's borderline xenophobic rant in April 1997 about Wenger "coming over here from Japan and trying to tell us how to run English football" didn't sound very 'continental', internationalist or progressive to me. That was how he reacted when someone dared to stand up to him: it was insular and pathetic. Just over a year later, Wenger had the last laugh about that one; and an, um, 'friendly rivalry' was born.

Wenger's training methods and dietary suggestions had never been seen before in the English game: however much Ferguson had managed to get to grips with the drinking culture within his squad which he inherited.

The whole of English football? No. But he made a massive difference, and was miles ahead of his time. I bow to no-one in my admiration of his achievements: Arsenal had no automatic right to become anywhere near as big or consistent as they have, and it's all down to him. Plus he's done it despite taking in far, far more money than he's spent: the figures during his time there are extraordinary. I think Spurs have spent something like twice as much in net terms as Arsenal!

Unfortunately, the flip side to Wenger is a blinkered, greeting face tosser who's probably the least gracious manager in the game. He's still a genius though.

What sort of achievement is winning the sum total of sfa since 2005? 5 years without silverware? Doesn't sound big or consistent to me!

Ferguson's borderline xenophobic rant in April 1997 about Wenger "coming over here from Japan and trying to tell us how to run English football" didn't sound very 'continental', internationalist or progressive to me. That was how he reacted when someone dared to stand up to him: it was insular and pathetic. Just over a year later, Wenger had the last laugh about that one; and an, um, 'friendly rivalry' was born.

Wenger's training methods and dietary suggestions had never been seen before in the English game: however much Ferguson had managed to get to grips with the drinking culture within his squad which he inherited.

Not by my reckoning. Count the trophies since then. Still no holy grail on the CV either.

What sort of achievement is winning the sum total of sfa since 2005? 5 years without silverware? Doesn't sound big or consistent to me!

He doesn't have anything like the financial power of Man Utd or Chelsea. It's a borderline miracle Arsenal do as well as they do, year-in year-out. Ferguson himself would acknowledge that, especially now he and Wenger have made up and put their differences behind him.

:10900: Indeed, but when did the facts ever get in the way of a good rant? Actually to be fair to the poster, Ms Bruni is "naturalised French", whatever that means these days.

I'm certainly not outraged at Wenger's unwillingness to shake Hughes' hand at the end of the game, although imo there has to be a very good reason not to do so. It's a good sign of sportsmanship that no matter how much your team has been thrashed, and no matter how much of a tosser the opposing manager may be, you still shake hands.

Saying that, the reactions of certain posters on this thread are hilarious. Why so much outrage because one guy refused to shake another guy's hand? Why the overt racist comments against the French (who, like other nationalities, harbour both good folk and plonkers)? Seriously, get some perspective guys. :stuart:

exactly, can you imagine roberto martinez shaking harry redknapp's hand a few weeks ago, he surely just wanted to crawl into a pit that night, but still had the decency to shake hands and just took it on the chin.

He doesn't have anything like the financial power of Man Utd or Chelsea. It's a borderline miracle Arsenal do as well as they do, year-in year-out. Ferguson himself would acknowledge that, especially now he and Wenger have made up and put their differences behind him.

how can you say he doesnt have the financial power of man utd or chelsea, im persoanlly a man utd supporter(HMFC comes 1st though) and even i know that arsenal could probably outbid (especially man utd just now) anyone, they have plenty of money and with kroenke's billions soon to be on show then they will have more cash to spend, they are very self sufficient!!!

how can you say he doesnt have the financial power of man utd or chelsea, im persoanlly a man utd supporter(HMFC comes 1st though) and even i know that arsenal could probably outbid (especially man utd just now) anyone, they have plenty of money and with kroenke's billions soon to be on show then they will have more cash to spend, they are very self sufficient!!!

They're very self-sufficient, yes - but want to remain so, and have the cost of the stadium to pay off. Also, Arsenal are very wary of breaking their wage structure: they do it for the odd player, but any more than that can mean things spiral out of control very quickly. Their wage bill is nothing like that of Man Utd and Chelsea, who have been the biggest spenders in that regard for years now; and not unnaturally, have generally been the top two in the league as well.

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely think Arsenal need steel and leaders in their team, so they'll have to spend before long. But few managers deliver fantastic football, sell-out gates, consistent league finishes and financial prudence all at the same time; yet Wenger does.

Three comments on these clips (Thanks for posting them):

1 Some really great players on show

2 Law was the poacher supreme )the mongoose doesn't begin to describe his quick reaction).

3 Stepney - what a clown!!!

What about the state of the pitches.That F Lee penalty was superb considering the state of the Maine Road pitch.:smiley2:

Archived