Hearts new stadium nearly finished

wibble

Melbourne Hearts that is.

A new Melbourne football (soccer) team is being created and they look like calling it "Melbourne Heart". They are already calling them "Hearts" and there have been many mentions of the name being similar to ours and that "Hearts" has always been a great name.

The stadium is Melbourne's first purpose built rectangular stadium for fitba' and rugby - all other stadiums are cricket ovals so you end up miles away from the action. It will be shared by Melbourne Storm, Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Hearts.

30,000 seats, with the ability to increase to 50,000.

interior_bowl_revb_wideweb__470x323,0.jpg

00000366-image.jpg

100_1639.jpg

Right next to the MCG, The Rod Laver Arena and the Velodrome.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sadly, though, they aren't playing in maroon but red and white stripes.

Happy to lend my support to them though - there's no Grant Brebner in this team!

Well at least ill can shout out 'oh comn' to ***** hearts' without somebody looking at me funny!

might well head down for their opening fixture

jamboinglasgow

I think i found my OZ "soccer" team then. Glad Melbourne have chosen Hearts, have family in the city (might try and persuade my cousins to support them.) Having been to the MCG it is a fantastic area for stadia, its incrediable now that they have the main cricket/OZ rules stadium of Australia (and an increadible stadium) the location of the Australian Open tennis, as you say the velodrome, and now football/rugby (though is it league or union?) all in such a small area.

Has the name 'Heart' actually been finally decided though? They were running a comp in one of the papers to name the side and apparently Sporting Melbourne was coming out on top. Melbourne Heart was the name of the franchise.

Anyway, the stadium's just down the road from me so if they call themselves 'Heart' then it looks like I've got myself a 'saaacccer' team down here!

I think i found my OZ "soccer" team then. Glad Melbourne have chosen Hearts, have family in the city (might try and persuade my cousins to support them.) Having been to the MCG it is a fantastic area for stadia, its incrediable now that they have the main cricket/OZ rules stadium of Australia (and an increadible stadium) the location of the Australian Open tennis, as you say the velodrome, and now football/rugby (though is it league or union?) all in such a small area.

They are going to have both league and union rugby although initially just league. Melbourne has won a super 15 union slot but don't think it kicks in until 2011.

What sort of level will they be playing at? No idea about Australian soccer. Any chance of them being in the top league any time soon?

There is effectively only one leage here - the 'A League'. They're increasing the number of teams in it so 'Heart' will be in the top flight.

They're apparently in discussions with Viduka to get him to sign for them.

There is effectively only one leage here - the 'A League'. They're increasing the number of teams in it so 'Heart' will be in the top flight.

They're apparently in discussions with Viduka to get him to sign for them.

I see, cheers. Viduka is a legend.

Hopefully they stick with Heart. Sporting Melbourne sounds queer.

265518-rectangular-stadium.jpg

Here's a pic. Thats the tennis centre and the velodrome/exhibition cantre behind it. City looks amazing.

Right behind the new stadium is the 1956 Olympic park. It was built as an additional stadium for the games and has been used for the soccer and rugby league lately. Behind that is the Lexus centre, a sports training centre.

Now you know why Aussies win lots of medals at the Olympics/Commie games.

I have a feeling that the backers will make it Heart regardless of the poll.

They called it that from the start and they battled really hard to get the league to accept it as a name.

I think they want something different and they want something that can appeal to families, women and doesn't single out an ethnic group.

Sporting Lisbon screams Euro's and so they will worry that they end up with a predominantly Euro following and they have traditionally been pretty close to a lot of the trouble in football over here.

The new club will want to attract new fans, people who have only watched Aussie Rules before. Those people are usually put off the football by all the greek/italian/macedonian/blatic state trouble.

Heart can have no negative connotations except to weedgies and any club that has no weegie followers will be the club for me. :2thumbsup:

I hate them...........

I hate all other teams apart from HMFC, but i especially hate teams who get it so wrong!

What have HMFC got right at any time in their history?

What have HMFC got right at any time in their history?

quite a lot actually, some leagues and some cups to get on with.

but melbourne heart is missing one little thing?

1. an S

2. anything i give a toss about

quite a lot actually, some leagues and some cups to get on with.

but melbourne heart is missing one little thing?

1. an S

2. anything i give a toss about

So why post?

Archived