Decent Reads

neave

Coming to the end of my two books now ('I Am The Cheese' by Robert Corimer and 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre; both good, the latter highly recommended) and I've got a few weeks off as of Friday, so I'm looking for a decent read.

I'm thinking of 'Age of Iron' by J.M. Coetzee as I really enjoyed 'Waiting for the Barbarians' but I'm totally open to suggestions, fiction or non-fiction, prose or drama.

What've you been reading?

I like to have a read of what the school kids are reading so it's been Private Peaceful for me this week.

Then I'll need to give As I Lay Dying a go.

Bit of an oldie now but I still rate it...

Airframe by Michael Crichton.

Techno-thriller about a plane crash and the investigation / corporate cover-up / espionage that follows

Guest Bilel Mohsni

My favourite books include...

The God Delusion: Richard Dawkins.

Waverly: Sir Walter Scott.

Love all the People: Bill Hicks. (biography)

An Evil Cradling: Brian Keenan. (autobiography)

Waverly is an excellent novel and was penned under a pseudonym, it contains a foreword by Jane Austin and is a good adventure.

God Delusion speaks for it's self really.

Love all the people is dedicated to my favourite comedian, the Late Bill Hicks and his material is as relevant today as it was then.

An Evil Cradling is the autobiography of Brian Keenan from when he was kidnapped and held to ransom by Islamic terrorists in Beruit... Trully unbelievable and harrowing.

I also like...

IT

Watership Down (first ever book I read)

Rob Roy

Moby Dick

Last of the Mohicans

Amongst others...

ToadKiller Dog

An interesting book i am reading just now is Alone in Berlin by Hans Faluda ,well worth a look at.

For those interested in the debate over Hitler the other week on here ,I would say its worth a shout as this book looks at ordinary peoples resistance against the Nazis and peoples mindsets during that era in Berlin.

Victor Mancini

not sure if it will be your cup of tea, but "marching powder" by Rusty Young is a good read, its an insight into life in san pedro prison(bolivia) i copied the section below from wiki

Rusty Young was backpacking in South America when he heard about Thomas McFadden (in the "Lonely Planet" guidebook and from other backpackers), a convicted English drug trafficker who ran tours inside Bolivia's famous San Pedro Prison. Curious about the reason behind McFadden's huge popularity, the law graduate went to La Paz and joined one of Thomas's illegal tours. They formed an instant friendship and then became partners in an attempt to record Thomas's experiences in the jail. Rusty bribed the guards to allow him to stay and for the next three months he lived inside the prison, sharing a cell with Thomas and recording one of the strangest and most compelling prison stories of all time. The memoir, Marching Powder, was released in 2003. A film adaptation of Marching Powder has been announced with little information released so far in regards to its production. Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment production company, Periscope Entertainment and Reason Pictures have the rights to the book. Don Cheadle has been cast as Thomas McFadden and is additionally credited as producer. The film currently has an estimated release date in 2010.

another book that i recently enjoyed was "passion is a fashion" by Pat Gilbert which is the story of the clash.

Say What Again

Just finished Cristopher Brookmyres latest book, Pandemonium last night.

It started pretty slow (he's extremely guilty of using 5 large words to describe something 3 smaller words would have adequately explained) but I couldn't put it down last night when it got going. I read the final 30 chapters in 5 hours last night.

Not as much Old Firm bashing in this one but still some good west coast juvenile humour.

currently reading "evolution" by stephen baxter and thats proving a really good read

i also have max cliffords book on the go which is forkin awful, but i usually have a decent book and some trashy pish on the go at the same time anyway

i mention it in every book thread, but my favourite series of novels recently was the phillip pullman "his dark materials" trilogy. only just read them about a year ago, and about to read them again cos they were excellent.

also recently finished reading "unchartered territory" by hamish macdonald, which was the story of scottish devolution. that was an interesting read cos its not an opinion piece, just a "this is what happened..." book

Archived