Religion

Guest Bilel Mohsni

For my tuppence worth,

I believe in God, God created the Earth. The Earth is a living breathing thing. All living breathing things have parasites, were Earth's parasites.

I think The Doctor and I worship the same God but in different ways. As Muslims and Jews both have similar ways to worship, there not that different. In my view God gives unrequited love to us all and it's up to us to show it back in our own way.

As the late great Dave Allen used to say

"Goodnight and may your God go with you."

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bilel Mohsni
I'll start with #1 then.

It says that God doesn't answer prayer and that scripture says that God always answers prayer, but (according to the limits put on the answer by the author's demands) that's untrue.

I can tell you that God will heal every faithful believer who asks Him. He will answer their prayer immediately and He will heal them of every illness, ailment or disease they suffer from. More than that, God will restore every faithful believer, fully and completely, in every way imaginable.

How can this be? I asked God for ?10,000 to appear in my pocket right now and he didn't answer my prayer. He did. He said no. No is an answer, as is not yet, or wait.

God offers eternal life, this life is nothing, but eternity for the faithful, an eternity where there is no suffering, no pain and no disease, that's the promise God makes. Not to dance to the tune of someone who demands things of Him, as if He was some performing monkey.

There is a big picture here, the author of that website fails to see it, denies it exists, whatever. It doesn't make him or her right.

#13. Slavery is a fact of life, it always has been. Sin is a fact of life, so is death and taxes. The bible says a lot about all these things. It's a relevant book, it has to be relevant so there's a lot of talk about slavery. Talking about slavery is not the same as condoning it, in fact the bible is clear about how slaves are to be treated, the teaching, cultural in context, in a culture where slavery is the norm, is radical in terms of the treatment of slaves.

I'm not going to go on, it's a waste of my time. You obviously have a jaundiced view and no amount of arguing on my part will change that. I simply answered these points as an example that all of the points can be answered, it won't make any difference to you, but it might show others that there are real answers in Christianity and that there is real hope there.

I haven't tried to knock anybody's views on here, I have had to justify my faith time and again. Why? Why do I need to justify myself against the vitriolic abuse that is aimed at me? I am not making any claim on anyone else's life. I'm not threatening anyone with eternal damnation, or making any judgements, yet I am forced to justify the beliefs of 2 billion people because I share those beliefs. I neither attack nor judge you, I don't put down your atheistic world view, I don't claim superiority or special favour. I have tried to be positive, kind, gracious and gentle, I have tried to be Christlike...

Why the need to ridicule? What's so offensive about faith?

I do not believe in god and I have a problem with the way some people use their religious brliefs to hurt other people.

You however are a gent and fall into the category that I think of as decent people with faith... No harm in believing whatever you want!

Nice talking to you, it was insightfull, I will never believe in god but you have to respect someone who is willing to have their's tested and not get all incensed and bitter. :2thumbsup:

Religion: it's not for me but I say live and let live.

I'd rather be a non-believer than a believer who would kill in the name of his belief.

I used to be religious, I really did. I went to St Augustine as a kid, I grew up in Edinburgh and moved to the states a few years later. In Feb 2007 I joined the California national guard. The recruiter told me I'd be making a difference, and that they would pay for the rest of my college.

In May 2007, I went to Iraq with the rest of the 1/167 Infantry. In June 2007 my convoy from bum****ville to Safwan took three IED's in one run.

After that, no god, no help, no nothing except me.

Lived like like that ever since.

I am an atheist, as I have said, but I hold no agression towards anyone believing in something else... As long as it does not hurt anyone, we should be free to believe what we like.

As to this post though, how do you feel about the deadsea scrolls? Do you believe that they were supressed and not included in the bible (didn't make the cut, if you like :smiley2:) because they did not fit the agenda of the guys who compiled it... Things like female equality etc. Without getting into the nonsence that Dan Brown wrote, I saw a very interesting documentery about these scrolls and one of the big theories is that these scrolls along with others that were not recovered would have contributed to a very different message had they been included in the bible.

The idea that Jesus was married is an interesting one and the theory goes on to suggest that... (I want to say Peter?) one of the disciples supressed the parts written by important female figures like Mary Magdelane (rumoured to be Jesus' wife and a key disciple) in order to ensure male dominion in a Christian world... To the extent that she was described as a prostitute in order to destroy her credibility.

Do you know of these theories and the apparent evidence that the dead sea scrolls are supposed to contain some of Mary Magdelane's scriptures that were supressed? If so where do you stand with this?

Cheers. :smiley2:

No offense, but your atheist **** would last till the first IED. After that, you would be in church so fast your ass would be on fire.

Guest Bilel Mohsni
No offense, but your atheist **** would last till the first IED. After that, you would be in church so fast your ass would be on fire.

Excellent... Now YOU however are quite unlike 'The Doctor' and I would feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever about mocking your religious dogmatic fairytales, church-boy!

Do tell me what 'IED' is though... It has been a long time since I was forced to sit through the comedy that was religious education!!

Oh and... Where do you stand on the whole 'Ark' thing? :stuart:

We all react differently to suffering, and indeed we all suffer in different ways. What I find difficult to understand is that, after saying "No offence", you then belittle another poster's beliefs and strength/courage in those beliefs. So why is it that the Safwan run turned you away from belief in a God, but you think that it would turn the above poster towards God? Are you saying you are stronger than him?

I'm sure you did suffer from the Safwan run, and during your tour of duty in general, but then again you signed yourself up for that. The California National Guard also has a federal remit and units have fought overseas during many of the US' conflicts. You would have known that, and should have been prepared for that, when you signed what was a fairly heavy commitment to the Guard. And remember that there are other forms of suffering: losing someone you hold dear to illness, accident or violent incident, living with someone blighted with drug addiction or mental illness, having or experiencing any of these yourself etc. etc. etc. Never assume that other individuals have experienced less suffering than you.

portobellojambo1
Indeed, the one fact of which we can be quite sure demonstrates quite clearly that Hearts were not a sectarian club - when Hibs were refused entry to the Scottish FA on the grounds that they were not a Scottish club but an Irish one, it was Hearts which deliberately broke the rules to play against Hibs and have them admitted to the FA. Why would they have done so if they were anti-Irish - that was precisely the behaviour they were seeking to change.
I was fully aware of the above GC, i.e. it was Hearts that pushed quite strongly to have Hibernians, as was, admitted into initially the Edinburgh FA, and through that, the SFA. The rules governing both these associations was that any club admittted had to utilise players born within the local area. It is also a fact, and is documented in Hibernians/Hibernian history, that after admission to both associations Hibernians were threatened with expulsion from both associations for refusing to abide by this rule, of using locally born players. During the meeting called to discuss their expulsion the Hearts delegation left the room, for a short break, and while they were out of the room the Hibernians delegation insisted the vote be taken at that time. The reason they wanted this done was because they knew Hearts would carry enough weight to get them expelled. The feeling was that having supported their entry into the league the Hearts delegation were aware that Hibs unwillingness to change and use local players was creating an unhealthy divide amongst supporters, who were choosing the club they supported based on religion. Their expulsion wasn't carried, in the absence of Hearts. Celtic effectively played a part in the end of the original Hibernians (along with mismanagement in the latter years), by persuading many of their players to venture from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and play for a club set up on commercial grounds, rather than continue to play for a club supporting the local Irish community through charitable donations. Hibernians eventually folded in 1891 and the club now known as Hibernian was established in 1892, with the significant change being the players no longer had to be members of The Catholic Young Men's Society. I'm sorry that the above is all in one paragraph. i am using the site through a proxy server at the moment, and it doesn't seem to recognise many of the background posting commands built into JKB (it, the proxy server, just presents everything in one big bloody paragraph)

Archived