The hardest - 147, 9 darter or hole in one?

H.A.N.S

BoJack Horseman
Thoughts?

I don't think the hole in one should count as it isn't based on skill.

Out of the other two, I'd say the nine darter.

loveofthegame

147 and 9 darter are both ridiculously tough, but given the number of shots you need to get absolutely perfect for the 147 i'd say that.

Hole in one is largely down to luck. Anyone could potentially hit a hole in one, the same could not be said about a 147 or 9 darter.

I think a professional managing a hole-in-one on a par three would classify it as skill. Were I to find the green, I'd be satisfied.

A hole in one. Ok it does require an element of luck in it but you have to be good to stand a chance of that in the first place. The same goes for the others sport always has an element of luck in it. As I love golf i'm sticking with my choice :10900:

I'd agree. This is a debate on the itv teletext sport forum. You wouldn't see anyone get a nine darter or 147 if they weren't a pro. With a hole in one if you hit the green you can get lucky.

I'd agree. This is a debate on the itv teletext sport forum. You wouldn't see anyone get a nine darter or 147 if they weren't a pro. With a hole in one if you hit the green you can get lucky.

You could get lucky during a 147 as well...

I think a professional managing a hole-in-one on a par three would classify it as skill. Were I to find the green, I'd be satisfied.

If that were the case then there would be a hole in one in every major on every par 3. Hole in one is a combination of less than one tenth skill and more than nine-tenths luck.

If you ask someone who has just had a hole in one if they expected to get it, what do you think their answer would be?

You could get lucky during a 147 as well...

Possibly with missing one pot and fluking it into another pocket but you wouldn't get 36 flukes.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The hole-in-one shouldn't be classed alongside the others. If it can be achieved the very first time you pick up a piece of equipment it doesn't belong here. The other two are the result of years of practice and perfection. I've gone for the 147 because it requires 36 varied shots, with the pressure building throughout. A 9-darter, while still something special, is only 9 shots and 7 of them are exactly the same.

The hole-in-one shouldn't be classed alongside the others. If it can be achieved the very first time you pick up a piece of equipment it doesn't belong here. The other two are the result of years of practice and perfection. I've gone for the 147 because it requires 36 varied shots, with the pressure building throughout. A 9-darter, while still something special, is only 9 shots and 7 of them are exactly the same.

I take it you don't play golf then? I seriously doubt anybody picking up a club for the first time could do it. I do agree there are elements of skill in all sports and I'd probs have picked a 147 for that reason... but I do know how tough a sport golf really is and I'll always back it up. Well done Lee Westwood btw..super proper happy for him :10900:

I'd go for 9-darter as every shot has to be millimetre-perfect - or as good as.

With the 147 you can have the cue ball going out of position and the player being good enough to recover. The 9-darter doesn't afford that luxury.

And besides...I've had a 147.

I blame the fact that I wouldn't know from one shot to the next if I'll hook, slice or send it straight. :laugh:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
I take it you don't play golf then? I seriously doubt anybody picking up a club for the first time could do it. I do agree there are elements of skill in all sports and I'd probs have picked a 147 for that reason... but I do know how tough a sport golf really is and I'll always back it up. Well done Lee Westwood btw..super proper happy for him :10900:

I do play golf and yes, an amateur picking up a club for the first time has a chance of hole-in-one if they hit it luckily enough. An amateur could even pull off a 9 dart finish with an incredible amount of luck. But I would say it is actually impossible for a first-timer to make a 147. That makes it the hardest by absolutely miles.

no brainer.

147 is by far the hardest. 36 pots including all the positional play. every shot being different.

9 dart. while it's superb, any decent dart player can get a 180 or check out on 141. any county player can have a 9 dart.

hole in one. virtually any golfer can have one. it's 99% luck if you do. the better the golfer you are the more greens you hit therefore the more chance you have of one going in. i've had 3 hole in ones but i count myself very lucky to have done so. i know golfers who are miles better that haven't had one.

I do play golf and yes, an amateur picking up a club for the first time has a chance of hole-in-one if they hit it luckily enough. An amateur could even pull off a 9 dart finish with an incredible amount of luck. But I would say it is actually impossible for a first-timer to make a 147. That makes it the hardest by absolutely miles.

Seriously? If you play golf you must know how ridiculous a statement that is. I wont argue with you over it if you play yourself you'll appreciate my points.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has 8 tournament 147s and Phil Taylor 6 tournament 9 darters.

Think the 9 darter is harder.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Seriously? If you play golf you must know how ridiculous a statement that is. I wont argue with you over it if you play yourself you'll appreciate my points.

It's not ridiculous. You don't think it's possible for a 30-year-old man to pick up a golf club at a 140 yard par 3 for the first time, swing, sclaff it a wee bit but it still shoot along the ground and into the hole? Of course that's possible.

It's not ridiculous. You don't think it's possible for a 30-year-old man to pick up a golf club at a 140 yard par 3 for the first time, swing, sclaff it a wee bit but it still shoot along the ground and into the hole? Of course that's possible.

very very improbable. You had a hole in one yet?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
very very improbable. ?

Exactly. But that was my point. Could somebody pick up a snooker cue for the very first time and make a 147. No, it's utterly impossible.

very very improbable. You had a hole in one yet?

kits i've seen a golfer just about miss the ball and get a hole in one.

trust me, it's a pure gob.

Maybe this'll help to settle the argument. I got my first (of three in my lifetime) holes in one when I was only 12, my first of a great many 180's when I was 14 or 15 but had to wait until I was 25 for my first, and so far only 147.

Daydream Believer
Maybe this'll help to settle the argument. I got my first (of three in my lifetime) holes in one when I was only 12, my first of a great many 180's when I was 14 or 15 but had to wait until I was 25 for my first, and so far only 147.

Bloody hell, had you reached 30 when you got your 300 at the 10 pin bowling?

I P Knightley
A hole in one. Ok it does require an element of luck in it but you have to be good to stand a chance of that in the first place. The same goes for the others sport always has an element of luck in it. As I love golf i'm sticking with my choice :10900:

I love my golf; I play off 17 and I've had 2 holes-in-one.

I've played with another bloke who got a hole in one with one of the flukiest shots ever. He's not a regular golfer; if they allowed him a handicap of 40, it would probably be a bit tight on him and when he hit his tee shot, he cursed as the ball was scudding through the rough towards a bunker. He'd have been happy if it reached the bunker, so when it did, he cheered, only to see the ball skid through the bunker, pop out and roll up to the hole.

As others have said, anyone can hit a hole-in-one; it's luck, not skill.

Of the others, I'd say the snooker.

A nine dart finish is the ultimate checkout in the game of darts, constituting a perfect game.

It is notoriously difficult to achieve, even by the game's top professionals.

It is considered to be the highest single-game achievement in the sport, similar to a maximum 147 break in snooker, a 300-point game in bowling, a perfect game in baseball, a golden set in tennis or batting six sixes in an over in cricket.

From Wiki.

Miller Jambo 60

I've played with another bloke who got a hole in one with one of the flukiest shots ever. He's not a regular golfer; if they allowed him a handicap of 40, it would probably be a bit tight on him and when he hit his tee shot, he cursed as the ball was scudding through the rough towards a bunker. He'd have been happy if it reached the bunker, so when it did, he cheered, only to see the ball skid through the bunker, pop out and roll up to the hole.

Thanks have played for about 36 years and the nearest ive been to a hole in one is 6 inches.

Feel depressed now.

Vic has had 3

i'm not saying it's harder than a 147, but there is no way in a million billion trillion years that someone who isn't a brilliant darts player could get a 9 darter.

If you ask someone who has just had a hole in one if they expected to get it, what do you think their answer would be?

Probably no. However, I doubt many people anticipate finishing in nine darts or scoring 147.

probably the 147.

as few times at the darts i`ve started a leg with a 180, then hit another two treble 20s but ended with a 140 as i was shaking so much!! totally devastated when that happened.

Golf = 1 shot - which could be a jammy one

Darts = 9 shots - each of which has to be just about perfect

Snooker = 36 shots - each with a little leeway for accuracy

Still darts sneaks it for me.

Golf = 1 shot which could be skill, aim to put it in the hole it goes in = skill

Dart 9 shots, good chance at least one is luck, and lets face it even pub players do it.

snooker =36 shots, the likelyhood that everyone gores exactly where u want it is remote, has there ever been a 147 without any element of luck, I have no idea.

For sure darts is the easiest one. If you had to achieve one of these, that's the one you'd go for.

A nine dart finish is the ultimate checkout in the game of darts, constituting a perfect game.

It is notoriously difficult to achieve, even by the game's top professionals.

It is considered to be the highest single-game achievement in the sport, similar to a maximum 147 break in snooker, a 300-point game in bowling, a perfect game in baseball, a golden set in tennis or batting six sixes in an over in cricket.

From Wiki.

No way can anything from tennis count as you could be playing against a total huddy.

I think it's very close between the 147 and the 9 darter. Maybe go for the 9 darter as I think they are more rare.

Golf = 1 shot which could be skill, aim to put it in the hole it goes in = skill

You said it yourself...could be skill. Are you suggesting that every professional who stands on the tee at a par3 and doesn't get a hole in one isn't skilful enough?

Dart 9 shots, good chance at least one is luck, and lets face it even pub players do it.

Pub players? Bullpoop.

snooker =36 shots, the likelyhood that everyone gores exactly where u want it is remote, has there ever been a 147 without any element of luck, I have no idea.

Probably not - the splitting of the reds can't be predicted Some will give you an 'easier' 147 than others.

For sure darts is the easiest one. If you had to achieve one of these, that's the one you'd go for.

Not a fecking chance. Golf any time. It's the only one of the three I've ever managed and I can assure you I'm not skilled at golf.

Every shot is different.

9 darter, while you are going for different parts of the board you are doing so from a consistent distance from the board, same position, and have no real obstacles in between you.

I P Knightley
Thanks have played for about 36 years and the nearest ive been to a hole in one is 6 inches.

Feel depressed now.

Vic has had 3

Sorry, Doug.

If it's any consolation, I'd far rather be a single figure golfer than have my holes-in-one. For one thing, it would have cost me a lot less, both in terms of rounds bought and in lost golf balls!

this_is_my_story
no brainer.

147 is by far the hardest. 36 pots including all the positional play. every shot being different.

9 dart. while it's superb, any decent dart player can get a 180 or check out on 141. any county player can have a 9 dart.

hole in one. virtually any golfer can have one. it's 99% luck if you do. the better the golfer you are the more greens you hit therefore the more chance you have of one going in. i've had 3 hole in ones but i count myself very lucky to have done so. i know golfers who are miles better that haven't had one.

Not trying to be arsey, but isn't saying that it's 99% luck, and then going on to say that the better the golfer you are the more greens you hit therefore the more chance you have of a hole in one, a little bit contradictory?

I think some here are playing down the hole in one a little. True, your average weekend golfer could get one, but at pro-level - where the hole played is a lot more difficult with tougher pin positions, faster greens, harder obstacles (bunkers etc) it has a hell of a lot to do with skill - why is it lucky?! Surely you could justifiably argue that it was a perfectly executed and weighted shot, and therefore no luck really is involved at all? The pin is where you're aiming for, after all!

FWIW though, I'd say the 147. Watching Ronnie O'Sullivan make one in 5 minutes was just ridiculous, talented beyond belief.

9 darter - Meh!

No they don't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_dart_finish#List_of_televised_nine-darters

this_is_my_story

I suppose your story about your mate backs that up, to a degree!

Again though, when it comes to the tougher courses, a shot like that would be in the water or in the sand in a bunker guarding the green. Maybe possible for a flukey one on, say, a municipal course - different story at the top level though, IMO.

this_is_my_story
Probably no. However, I doubt many people anticipate finishing in nine darts or scoring 147.

Was tempted to say the same myself! :stuart:

I P Knightley
I suppose your story about your mate backs that up, to a degree!

Again though, when it comes to the tougher courses, a shot like that would be in the water or in the sand in a bunker guarding the green. Maybe possible for a flukey one on, say, a municipal course - different story at the top level though, IMO.

My mate's was a bit of an extreme. My own two were decent shots; I'm not all that bad and knew that I'd hit the shots just about right. However, there are many golfers a whole lot more skillful than me who would hit those greens far more regularly yet haven't chalked up any holes-in-one.

I think I go for the 147 over the nine darter.

It's never a hole in one, kitster. I know that because in Summer 1990, on a pitch and putt in Ireland, I got a hole in one on a 120-yard hole. Now granted, I know proper golf courses have much longer holes - but I was only just turned 12 at the time! What Eldar says is right: plenty of luck can involved as well as skill - and it was never, ever skill which enabled me to do that. It was pure fluke.

And given you've asked whether others have played golf, so know what they're talking about: have you ever played snooker, on a full size table? If you have, you'd hopefully be able to appreciate how unbelievably difficult a 147 is. It blows my mind how good top snooker players have to be: they make a horrendously tough sport look ridiculously easy. Same with darts - and because no luck is ever involved in a nine-darter, that's where my vote goes: by a fraction ahead of a maximum break.*

*not that a 147 is the maximum break it's possible to make, incidentally. A 155 is - but it'd require a free ball to begin with, and the player to be on the black afterwards. Which given what's necessary for a 147, is utterly improbable, and will more than likely never happen.

this_is_my_story

Aren't those two examples pretty similar though? :curtain:

Archived