Best chinese in edinburgh

H.A.N.S

Like the best chippy, thoughts?

If you're talking takeaway then Food-4-U on Morningside Road is outstanding. A little bit more expensive than average but worth it for the extra quality.

Traditional: Kweilen

Alternative: Chop Chop

Always found the Kweilen a bit expensive and a bit inconsistent. When they are on their game I agree, its pretty damn good though.

Consistently the best traditional one for me is the relatively nearby Ping On in Stockbridge. Been going there on and off for the last 30 odd years and never been let down once, either in quality or price. Only drawback is its on the small side

Always found the Kweilen a bit expensive and a bit inconsistent. When they are on their game I agree, its pretty damn good though.

Consistently the best traditional one for me is the relatively nearby Ping On in Stockbridge. Been going there on and off for the last 30 odd years and never been let down once, either in quality or price. Only drawback is its on the small side

Yes, the Kweilin is certainly pricey. Don't go there that often so can't really comment on the consistency.

I had forgotten about the Ping On. It's very good quality.

The Imperial Palace, Inglis Green Road. Only been open a few months, superb. Really popular with the Chinese community (a recommendation itself).

The Imperial Palace, Inglis Green Road. Only been open a few months, superb. Really popular with the Chinese community (a recommendation itself).

You are quite the trencherman. :stuart:

Chad Sexington

Got a takeaway from there recently and found it distinctly "meh". :nah:

The Panda Inn in Tollcross (on the road up to Morningside, a bit beyond the Kings Theatre). Small place, family run, tremendous food (shredded chicken in chilli sauce is delicious).

Got a takeaway from there recently and found it distinctly "meh". :nah:

Went there at the end of September, found the service to be extremely poor. Whilst the staff were polite they were very inept. We ordered the banquet & we got 1/2 the starters during the main courses, we also had to ask for plates or bowls to eat from and they only brought 1 each time you asked.... The pudding option was also not given to us or even offered (as we didn't fancy it anyway).... not one to recommend. I also like the Kweilin, chop chop, Manor house & the previously the Lune town.... however not been to the latter in a while.

Went there at the end of September, found the service to be extremely poor. Whilst the staff were polite they were very inept. We ordered the banquet & we got 1/2 the starters during the main courses, we also had to ask for plates or bowls to eat from and they only brought 1 each time you asked.... The pudding option was also not given to us or even offered (as we didn't fancy it anyway).... not one to recommend. I also like the Kweilin, chop chop, Manor house & the previously the Lune town.... however not been to the latter in a while.

Thats a shame to hear, each time I've used it there were no problems. Mind you those were fairly quiet midweek nights.

chester copperpot

The Rainbow arch is very very good quality, despite the poor press it has had of recent.

For takeaways, sadly my favourite one of all time, and could not be touched is no longer there. This was the Victorian in Restalrig/Leith Links. Superb food every single time.

So my favourite Chinese takeaway in Edinburgh now is the Number one at the top of Leith Walk, though sadly never eaten there for many years now, as no longer in the area.

Chinese manor house on glasgow road was was usually good not been there in a while though.

It's bad now, my sister's friend's dad used to own it. That's when it was good, he sold up and it's poor to say the least now.

Golden Chopsticks at Currie.

So good that when the chefs from the BM at Balgreen moved there i moved with them.

I'll second that. Shredded chilli chicken (or beef) - The best I've ever tasted.

The Ping On in Stockbridge is excellent, as is the Loon Fung on Inverleith Row, although perhaps a tad expensive.

For a sit in meal Loon Town in the West End just off Shandwick Place is very good and not a lot of people seem to know it is there!

Three letters:

C.M.H

Chinese Manor House

Superb every time I've been. Slightly more expensive, but truly great food - and a great pint too!!

As I've said on another thread, 'Chop Chop' is on the F word this week as one of the best locals in Britain this week, so probably worth a shout - I've not been though..

Edit: Just noticed the post above, Ping On in stockbridge is also great.

Hui at Western corner was fab, used that when I lived at Carrick Knowe

At the top of my road. It's ok, I still rate The Lucky Star higher. Just down near Balgreen school at the row of shops.

Agreed. They have another one in Gilmerton that is consistently good too. It's great that they deliver to Bonnyrigg as well.

For sit-in I would recommend Dragon Way at the Bridges - now re-opened after 18 months.

http://www.chop-chop.co.uk/ rated highly and appearing on Ramsay's F word I believe.

Hui at Western corner was fab, used that when I lived at Carrick Knowe

CornhillHearts
The Rainbow arch is very very good quality, despite the poor press it has had of recent.

For takeaways, sadly my favourite one of all time, and could not be touched is no longer there. This was the Victorian in Restalrig/Leith Links. Superb food every single time.

So my favourite Chinese takeaway in Edinburgh now is the Number one at the top of Leith Walk, though sadly never eaten there for many years now, as no longer in the area.

CP The Victoria (no n) is still there albeit it was re-named The Silver Bowl, (one of three of them in Leith area) some time ago.

It's the same Ho family that had the Victoria back in the day and it's still top notch.

rudi must stay
Agreed. They have another one in Gilmerton that is consistently good too. It's great that they deliver to Bonnyrigg as well.

For sit-in I would recommend Dragon Way at the Bridges - now re-opened after 18 months.

http://www.chop-chop.co.uk/ rated highly and appearing on Ramsay's F word I believe.

was gonna say that. Not been there since it's re-opened but that certainly was the best till it closed for refurbishment.

The Ping On in Stockbridge is excellent, as is the Loon Fung on Inverleith Row, although perhaps a tad expensive.

For a sit in meal Loon Town in the West End just off Shandwick Place is very good and not a lot of people seem to know it is there!

Those two were my Dad's favourites. I prefer the Ping On, as did he.

chester copperpot
CP The Victoria (no n) is still there albeit it was re-named The Silver Bowl, (one of three of them in Leith area) some time ago.

It's the same Ho family that had the Victoria back in the day and it's still top notch.

You sure fella, as my old man fixed Charlies car for him, and he defo told my dad that they were selling up and shipping out. My old man even tried the Silver Bowl when it changed over and said it was honking. Might have to give it a bash myself to see if it's any good next time I'm down at me mam and dads.

The Panda Inn in Tollcross (on the road up to Morningside, a bit beyond the Kings Theatre). Small place, family run, tremendous food (shredded chicken in chilli sauce is delicious).

I'll second that. Lovely little chinese. Family run and superb food!

Might be wrong but so far the only Chinese I've seen mentioned is Chop Chop, aren't all the rest Cantonese??

chester copperpot
Might be wrong but so far the only Chinese I've seen mentioned is Chop Chop, aren't all the rest Cantonese??

There's always one eh? :2thumbsup:

There's always one eh? :2thumbsup:

Yup :10900:!

It's just that i'm not really a fan of cantonese but love the chinese dishes you get in Chop Chop!

I'm led to believe that Chop Chop is based on northern chinese cuisine which because it is too cold to grow rice they instead have noodles, dumplings etc!

CornhillHearts
You sure fella, as my old man fixed Charlies car for him, and he defo told my dad that they were selling up and shipping out. My old man even tried the Silver Bowl when it changed over and said it was honking. Might have to give it a bash myself to see if it's any good next time I'm down at me mam and dads.

Charlie's brother Michael and his wife, and William also John who I think is a cousin all still work there and the ones up Leith Walk on some sort of rotation. Went to school with Charlie, he's got the Japanese/Chinese in the Omni Centre last I spoke to him. I would say the one up Leith Walk is the best one mind.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Silver Bowl for old school takeaway

Chop Chop for proper chinese and a sit down

chester copperpot
Charlie's brother Michael and his wife, and William also John who I think is a cousin all still work there and the ones up Leith Walk on some sort of rotation. Went to school with Charlie, he's got the Japanese/Chinese in the Omni Centre last I spoke to him. I would say the one up Leith Walk is the best one mind.

Am staying at my ma and da's the night, so may pay a wee visit to the place to check it out.

I so hope I can get an old school Victoria, that would make my year. :10900:

Archived