Is Romanov still the saviour of Hearts?

Walter Kidd

He is bleeding us dry. From registration fees to transfer money disappearing.

It's time to smell the coffee and also time for action. There are none so blind who cannot see.

He never was to begin with, Zico. He simply bought the club (and, some might argue, all of us in the process).

I think we all know the answer to that question WK.

Thing is, no point in everyone pointing fingers and saying "told you so" now. The damage has been done and the only thing that matters to me is how we get to the end game and remove this guy from our club.

And, yes, I know we need a buyer blah blah blah but the process muststart somewhere and it has to start now.

Geoff Kilpatrick

"Smell the coffee"

"None so blind"

Good effort at Vlad bingo here....

If Vlad starts this week by sacking Csaba and appointing someone like Billy Reid or Jim Jefferies, things will start to improve immediately.

Big IF, of course.

If the story plays out in such a way that we are managerless within the next week or two, then Romanov MUST deliver an autonomous (well, just as autonomous as Laszlo was) manager before Christmas. If it so happened that this manager came from his usual stable, I would be disappointed. If VR brings us a new manager from outwith his usual sources then I would argue that VR is still in credit......just. If he doesn't and we get another nothing appointment from his Kaunas/Ripo/favoured agents then he will have slipped into the red.

I really do think all the good he has done for the club will be outweighed by the bad if he does not continue the "experiment" of letting a football man run the football affairs.

"Smell the coffee"

"None so blind"

If Vlad starts this week by sacking Csaba and appointing someone like Billy Reid or Jim Jefferies, things will start to improve immediately.

Big IF, of course.

Billy Reid is an interesting one that I hadn't thought of. It may be a sign of how low my expectations are this morning, but whilst I wouldn't choose Reid, I would much rather have him than Laszlo.

Guest jambomickey
"Smell the coffee"

"None so blind"

Big IF, of course.

no scottish manager worth his salt would work for him.

Guest jambomickey

It's time to smell the coffee and also time for action. There are none so blind who cannot see.

staggering how many hearts fans can't see that tbh.

I was at the shareholders meeting with my dad when he took charge. I didn't stand up and cheer he was the messiah like many others did. I questioned then as I question now what his agenda is. If I had his money I wouldn't buy a Lithuanian football club with it so there has always been something else about why he wanted Hearts. Any who thought different was a fool for doing so but I'd guess they are starting to think about it now.

All his promises,meddling,being stubborn,always upsetting the apple cart,making a fool of himself and the club in the press,the clowns he's brought to the club,main stand kid on projects,his smug little son,the ?10m on one player,the 2 world cup stars,the 5 year plan,the file cabinet full of Brazillian superstars, etc, etc,

The Fans have simply had enough and it is time to get this clown and the cancer he has spread through the club well away from the doors of Tynecastle and whether we like it or not, the club will go under with this lunatic at the helm and I'd rather stand up and fight against him with the knowledge that we did try and do something about it rather than sit around moaning about it all the time.There's not many answers and many buyers out there just now but the club has been deteriorating for too long now and the thinking caps must go on.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I was at the shareholders meeting with my dad when he took charge. I didn't stand up and cheer he was the messiah like many others did. I questioned then as I question now what his agenda is. If I had his money I wouldn't buy a Lithuanian football club with it so there has always been something else about why he wanted Hearts. Any who thought different was a fool for doing so but I'd guess they are starting to think about it now.

Kit, his raison d'etre for being here was his belief that his Lithuanian players, on a bigger stage, would earn him more money.

Since that has failed, he has lost interest.

Geoff Kilpatrick
no scottish manager worth his salt would work for him.

I disagree.

The question is whether Vlad would offer it to a Scottish manager.

"Smell the coffee"

"None so blind"

Big IF, of course.

And if things do improve,when does the lunatic go out his way to spoil things again?? It's just a cycle now that's went on for too long.

Guest jambomickey
Kit, his raison d'etre for being here was his belief that his Lithuanian players, on a bigger stage, would earn him more money.

john yorkson and eddie thompson realised pretty soon he was full of sheet.! our problem was the pie man wasn't interested in who he handed over to he just wanted his money and to get out.

Guest jambomickey
I disagree.

The question is whether Vlad would offer it to a Scottish manager.

i can't see any scottish manager wanting to work for him! they all talk among each other and will know what goes on behind the scenes.

Geoff Kilpatrick
john yorkson and eddie thompson realised pretty soon he was full of sheet.! our problem was the pie man wasn't interested in who he handed over to he just wanted his money and to get out.

Er, I think you'll find that Romanov was the only one who put the money on the table.

It's why your Mr Micawber-esque theory of some buyer turning up is laughable.

He has indeed GK. :43:

Billy Reid is an interesting one that I hadn't thought of. It may be a sign of how low my expectations are this morning, but whilst I wouldn't choose Reid, I would much rather have him than Laszlo.

Do I want Reid? No. Ditto MacPherson, Chisholm or Jefferies. I'd bloody love Jim Gannon - but he ain't coming here so soon after joining Motherwell, and I don't think he'd work under Romanov either.

Then I look at the English league - and really can't see who'd be the right choice, and more to the point, who would come. Would Boothroyd, for example? He's hardly going to achieve more with Colchester than taking them up and maybe keeping them up - but I can't see it. He'll be looking to resurrect his profile down here I suspect: though if he was interested, he'd probably be my first choice.

And sure, we can dangle some wonga at any manager: but why would someone come when the owner is so unpredictable, you could be sacked even if (or because?) you're successful - and then have to chase the club through the courts? It's more hassle than it's worth in that sense.

Which means, I suspect, that only John McGlynn or maybe John Robertson are realistic British candidates, both of whom might steady the ship a bit, neither of whom have that X factor and edge we all look for in a successful manager of Hearts. Meaning we may well end up trawling the continent again: which certainly could work. We wanted Vladimir Weiss last time, and look at the fantastic job he's done with Slovakia, for example. But it's also utterly fraught, as we've seen with Laszlo.

And then, sadly, I come back to this conclusion. If we're struggling to afford to pay the current manager off, who's to say we can afford to appoint a wholly new management team? Especially mid-season, when it's always more difficult, and clubs will demand compensation from us if we try and poach their boss. Hence, I guess, why the apparent Sporting Director has been brought in: in the interim, we'll surely give it to him. And because we're so hard up, that could become a longer term thing too - not thanks to Vlad playing silly buggers, but because he's so desperate to cut costs.

the 5 year plan

Apologies for this brief interjection of gallows humour - but you do realise we're now in Year Five of the Five Year Plan? And what does history tell us about Five Year Plans, especially when Russian or Russian-born megalomaniacs have anything to do with them? They're an absolute disaster.

It's bleak. Romanov has let the debt spiral because he knows he is still benefitting from the club. On one balance sheet there is a massive debt but the interest on that debt is helping to make profits for his other company. Anyone coming into buy the club now would have to pay double what he 'paid' just to clear the debt. With most UK banks struggling for funding and with tighter controls on risk, anyone looking to source funding to purchase the club would have a very difficult time.

Personally, I think he will be around for a couple more years. I believe the current trend of reducing the wage bill will continue. Any new faces in the first team will come from the youth set up or from Eastern Europe. I imagine the next manager will be a cheaper replacement too.

It's a tough situation. A classic case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't think he is bleeding us dry and I doubt he personally has made any money out of hearts. However I like many others have never trusted him since the day he sacked Burley. The guy does not care one bit about this club and never will. We are his plaything and like all toys eventually you get bored with playing with them. The sad thing is this time there is ****all we can do about it.

The emboldened section, just like 99% of your posts, is just not true.

John Yorkston was interested in the deal where Dunfermline linked up with Kaunas and had some sort of symbiotic player swap, Romanov at no point offered to buy Dunfermline.

Romanov DID offer to buy Dundee United but given the war that Thomson had fought with McLean to get the club, Thomson would not have sold to ANYBODY at that juncture due to him wanting his turn at running the club. Romanov's deal was rejected out of hand and was never considered.

I have considered Vlad's position/motives here before many times. As GK says his cunning plan was to raise the profile of his players, predominantly Lithuanian and East European, and sell them on at a profit. When he took control of the club Europe was on the verge of expanding its borders eastward and many thousands of these eastern europeans had/would have freedom of movement and employment and with Hearts Vlad would be in pole position to exploit this.

Five years on this plan has been an abject failure. I posted before that a number of guys in my office (forensic accountants and football fans of all persuasion) had drawn up a financial profile of Hearts. Admittedly this included a lot of professional guesswork and intuitive surmising but was by no means a "worst case scenario" and the amount that would be required to shift Vlad and clear all debts and commitments was around ?45m. Now again before I am screamed at this was a lot of guesswork but the guys believed this to be accurate.

Now, apart from a shop window for players from Vlad's other clubs and old Soviet bloc countries, the club owed Vlad's bank a lot of money and as the OP says Vlad's businesses receive substantial income through various means from Hearts whilst keeping the debt at a level that protects Vlad from any takeovers, whilst at the same time making the club technically insolvent and reliant and indebted to Vlad. The debts for equity swap? This looks good but in our situation means very little except that it gives Vlad the appearance of benevolence whilst moving cash from one side of the balance sheet to the other and increased Vlad's grip on the club, and the stadium, without, like most of Vlad's deals, any physical cash changing hands.

To look at our neighbours across the city we would see how to do this properly. Farmer took control of Hibs by satisfying the banks with a promise and has done/had to this again a number of times in the last 18 years. He has had to show the banks the colour of his money every now and again but has actually handed over very little cash and what he has handed over he has had returned. He now has control over all things Hibs (a very complicated setup it is over there as we looked at them too) and, unlike the pieman, will not let them go to just anybody.

We will come to regret the day we ever met Vladimir Romanov and placed the soul of our club in the hands of this man.

I know I am wasting my time because I'm sure the usual will still not understand this but.............

If Vlad walks out on Hearts then we are finished as there are no buyers.

Geoff Kilpatrick
There are

Does the russian own the flats above Burger King in Princes St

Let's hear them then

I know I am wasting my time because I'm sure the usual will still not understand this but.............

Firstly, how do you know there are no buyers?

Secondly, when you say "walk out", how does that work? I am not having a go at you about this term, it is one often used about VR but I don't understand it. When you/they say "walk out", do you/they mean sell Hearts? Do you/they mean wind the business up? People know that it isn't a job and he just doesn't resign, don't they?

Miller Jambo 60
"Smell the coffee"

"None so blind"

Big IF, of course.

Correct mate, still having trouble finding VLAD on that teamsheet yesterday.

All you vlad haters, wind your necks in for a min.

If you were at the game, the saints wanted the points more than us.

The blame is the managers.

At 1-0 up like the game against St Mirren we should have gone 2-0 up and sealed the points.

But no, Obua who is kak made an aerse of himself.

WAS THAT VLADS FAULT.

Firstly, how do you know there are no buyers?

Secondly, when you say "walk out", how does that work? I am not having a go at you about this term, it is one often used about VR but I don't understand it. When you/they say "walk out", do you/they mean sell Hearts? Do you/they mean wind the business up? People know that it isn't a job and he just doesn't resign, don't they?

Walks out, enough is enough. If nobody comes up with the cash then Cala homes, come on down.

There are no buyers because you'd have to be mad to buy Hearts. What businessman would look at Hearts and think they can make some money? He'd have to be crazy.

Auldreekie1874
The emboldened section, just like 99% of your posts, is just not true.

John Yorkston was interested in the deal where Dunfermline linked up with Kaunas and had some sort of symbiotic player swap, Romanov at no point offered to buy Dunfermline.

Romanov DID offer to buy Dundee United but given the war that Thomson had fought with McLean to get the club, Thomson would not have sold to ANYBODY at that juncture due to him wanting his turn at running the club. Romanov's deal was rejected out of hand and was never considered.

Correct BH

http://sport.scotsman.com/dunfermlinefc/Two-of-Romanovs-Lithuanians-start.2689882.jp

I also recall reading a piece where Yorkston was bemoaning the fact that Romanov never got back to him regarding further deals.

Vlad obviously had bigger fish to fry back then, I wonder where it all went wrong :43:

Walks out, enough is enough. If nobody comes up with the cash then Cala homes, come on down.

There are no buyers because you'd have to be mad to buy Hearts. What businessman would look at Hearts and think they can make some money? He'd have to be crazy.

Do you think VR is capable of doing that to the club ? If so is that really the sort of person you want owning the club ?

I have no idea if there is a buyer out there but one thing is very clear in my mind. VR is the wrong man to own this club and has been for some time. Fear of VR's actions should not be reason enough to accept his ownership.

So, when YOU say "walk out", you mean put Hearts up for sale then? Hardly a walk out.

You seem to be a little confused, you said above, and just like you I will embolden it.....

"there are no buyers."

Now you are saying you don't think there should be buyers, which is a completely different statement. What you really meant was....

IMA MAROON doesn't think there are any buyers.

Do you think VR is capable of doing that to the club ? If so is that really the sort of person you want owning the club ?

I have no idea if there is a buyer out there but one thing is very clear in my mind. VR is the wrong man to own this club and has been for some time. Fear of VR's actions should not be reason enough to accept his ownership.

Accept his ownership?

Ideally, I would like it if we, the fans, owned the club.

Romanov will have no problem walking away. CPR is a Hearts fan. Look how far he was willing to go. If VR walks and we still have Tynecastle then he was worthwhile regardless of all the upset.

So, when YOU say "walk out", you mean put Hearts up for sale then? Hardly a walk out.

You seem to be a little confused, you said above, and just like you I will embolden it.....

"there are no buyers."

Now you are saying you don't think there should be buyers, which is a completely different statement. What you really meant was....

IMA MAROON doesn't think there are any buyers.

Fair enough but he has been here a while now and nobody has come forward.

The Real Maroonblood

Keep taking the tablets.

At least your other team are top of the league.

Accept his ownership?

Romanov will have no problem walking away. CPR is a Hearts fan. Look how far he was willing to go. If VR walks and we still have Tynecastle then he was worthwhile regardless of all the upset.

Accept was maybe the wrong word. I know we can't do anything about it but if you feel he is capable of selling Tynecastle and building houses then he really shouldn't have your or any other hearts fans backing.

Keep taking the tablets.

At least your other team are top of the league.

Chelsea were outstanding again yesterday.

No Drogba, no Deco, no Lampard, no Ballack, no Carvalho

Absolutely f' king awesome. :2thumbsup:

And if he stays we are in steady decline.

I'd take my chances without him.

Hearts have a big enough supporter base to never be finished.

Murrayfield here we come. Should have done it under the pieman.

Accept his ownership?

Sorry to disagree but I cannot foresee any scenario (short of VR being bought out lock stock and barrel) that would allow us to remain at Tynecastle. As I mentioned earlier that, unlike our neighbours, a Lithuanian banking group owns Hearts (albeit a group where VR is the major shareholder) and as such they have a responsibility in law and to their shareholders to realise any assets to recompense the debtors should said organisation (HMFC) cease to trade. Farmer, as alluded to earlier, kept HFC totally separate from his successful businesses and personally underwrote their finances with his own personal cash. VR has used his shareholders cash to underwrite HMFC financial situation and legally cant walk away.

Miller Jambo 60
And if he stays we are in steady decline.

I'd take my chances without him.

Hearts have a big enough supporter base to never be finished.

Murrayfield here we come. Should have done it under the pieman.

Funny enough watched a good win there yesterday.

Not Hearts though.

Scotland= men

Hearts= women

Charlie-Brown

Vlad is bleeding US dry? That's a corker - more likely HMFC is continuously bleeding him / his companies instead.

Csaba Laszlo is bleeding us - financially & in terms of hope & spirit ..... and still he needs more new players and some of them he has don't work hard enough.

The Real Maroonblood
Chelsea were outstanding again yesterday.

No Drogba, no Deco, no Lampard, no Ballack, no Carvalho

Absolutely f' king awesome. :2thumbsup:

They done you proud.:whistling::5643:

Colonel Kurtz
Accept was maybe the wrong word. I know we can't do anything about it but if you feel he is capable of selling Tynecastle and building houses then he really shouldn't have your or any other hearts fans backing.

Nobody would buy Tynecastle now,perhaps that it is why

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Charlie Brown this boards Pravda.

Have you only just worked that out.

Worrying how the same old Vlad acolytes still spout their p*sh on this board.

Lot less of them now admittedly.

What will they all do the glorious day he finally fecks off forever?

Have you only just worked that out.

Worrying how the same old Vlad acolytes still spout their p*sh on this board.

Lot less of them now admittedly.

What will they all do the glorious day he finally fecks off forever?

Depending on the circumstances, either:

a) Blame the ungrateful fans for chasing their hero away; or

B) If we have a new owner and our future's been safeguarded, half will disappear and never be seen again - and the other half will perform a total 180, say how much they hated Vlad and start sucking up to the new man instead.

And the circus will continue.

Nobody would buy Tynecastle now,perhaps that it is why

I think there would be buyers just no where near the level of money involved previously.

Time to send in the clowns.

We are in a worse position now than we ever were under that cancerous ******* Pieman.

Archived