Weir was given a tartan army reprieve, why not Boyd?

scott_jambo

I think there should be no way back for Ferguson and Macgregor, childish antics.

But has Boyd's actions been any worse than Weir?

Both quit international football due to manager that were not up to the job.

Except Boyd had a more legitimate reason. The guy is known in the SPL as the one who will get you a goal. Instead he is left on the bench for a new boy who makes a mess of things, is it not understandable for him to go in a huff?

Similar situation to Fox and Wallace, Burleys team selections were constantly at odds with the consensus of the Hampden roar.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

For a start, he's not good enough for international level. I'm sure he's not scored a goal for Rangers in Europe and rarely plays in the big games against Sellick.

For a start, he's not good enough for international level. I'm sure he's not scored a goal for Rangers in Europe and rarely plays in the big games against Sellick.

He hardly ever plays for rangers in europe. That may be a sign that he cant make the step up, but i think he could of nicked us a goal.

I rate Iwelumo and didnt disagree with the decision at the time, but looking back, it seems burley made so many bad decisions maybe boyd WOULD of scored against a ropey norway defence, he doesnt miss from 6 yards ever, whether he is international standard or not.

I know what you're saying, but 7 goals in 15 games (most of which were off the bench) is not a bad record and suggests and he can be useful against other diddy teams.

Thig Ar Latha
He hardly ever plays for rangers in europe. That may be a sign that he cant make the step up, but i think he could of nicked us a goal.

I rate Iwelumo and didnt disagree with the decision at the time, but looking back, it seems burley made so many bad decisions maybe boyd WOULD of scored against a ropey norway defence, he doesnt miss from 6 yards ever, whether he is international standard or not.

At the time Boyd could'nt even get a game for Rangers, why would he walk into the Scotland Team?

Boyd was so arrogrant he threw the toys out of the pram saying he'd never play for his Country again under Burley, therefore he should'nt play for Scotland again. His own decision.

Now if he'd moaned to the Press about the situation and then said 'watch this space, I'll be back to prove Burley wrong' I would have had sympathy for him and even admired him for it. As it happens, I just think he's a turd gone wrong with an attitude to match.

I know what you're saying, but 7 goals in 15 games (most of which were off the bench) is not a bad record and suggests and he can be useful against other diddy teams.

His goals came in ...

2 x Bulgaria (friendly)

1 x South Africa (friendly)

2 x Faroe Islands

1 x Georgia

1 x Lithuania

Not really anything special and certainly not convincing enough to go crawling back to him after he turned his back on his country. He wouldn't fit into a 'hard to beat' system which is almost certainly what the next manager will go back to.

I just can't see what he is needed for. The negatives outweigh the positives and as has been said, he certainly is a c___t.

Carl Weathers

He probably will be back and I'll be happy to see him get a chance ahead of some of the others.

He scores against diddy teams? Great - we're normally gash against them.

His goals came in ...

2 x Bulgaria (friendly)

2 x Faroe Islands

1 x Georgia

1 x Lithuania

Not really anything special and certainly not convincing enough to go crawling back to him after he turned his back on his country. He wouldn't fit into a 'hard to beat' system which is almost certainly what the next manager will go back to.

I just can't see what he is needed for. The negatives outweigh the positives and as has been said, he certainly is a c___t.

Scotland need a player who'll score in those games.

His goals came in ...

2 x Bulgaria (friendly)

2 x Faroe Islands

1 x Georgia

1 x Lithuania

we need a target to hit with our long balls and a goalscorer. Miller just shadows the defenders down the channels hardly ever coming deep to pick it up and lay it off.

(I appreciate Boyd isnt a perfect target man, but most scottish target men do not score goals, he is someone to aim for if he can get his lardass in the way of the defender and lay it back to mcfadden, the wingers or fletch.)

I think there should be no way back for Ferguson and Macgregor, childish antics.

Except Boyd had a more legitimate reason. The guy is known in the SPL as the one who will get you a goal. Instead he is left on the bench for a new boy who makes a mess of things, is it not understandable for him to go in a huff?

Similar situation to Fox and Wallace, Burleys team selections were constantly at odds with the consensus of the Hampden roar.

Not sure if Weir actually said he was quitting. Didnt Burley tell him "thanks for your services but you are no longer needed" (until he actually needed him again that is)

Scotland need a player who'll score in those games.

We certainly do but at the same time we need a squad pulling in the right direction and 11 players on the pitch who will play for each other.

He's a negative influence and a few goals against pish teams won't solve our problems.

I'd rather see Fletcher being given time to make his mark. A guy with a good attitude who is now playing against world class defenders every week is better than a guy who cannae get in his club team half the time and only scores against pish teams.

It was a joke that Weir was allowed back in as well btw. That led the way for these wee scrotes to walk out in the first place.

I hate saying this, but Boyd is a much better player since the incident. To the stage that I've been impressed with his work rate (i know i know). One moment sticks out for me, can't mind who rangers were playing, he had the ball up front but lost it (his fault) and he ran the entire length of the pitch to put in a sliding tackle (a good one) to get the ball back. He just seems a better all round player now. One which i grudginly would have back in the Scotland team.

(pelters expected for this)

We certainly do but at the same time we need a squad pulling in the right direction and 11 players on the pitch who will play for each other.

He's a negative influence and a few goals against pish teams won't solve our problems.

I'd rather see Fletcher being given time to make his mark. A guy with a good attitude who is now playing against world class defenders every week is better than a guy who cannae get in his club team half the time and only scores against pish teams.

It was a joke that Weir was allowed back in as well btw. That led the way for these wee scrotes to walk out in the first place.

------------Gordon-------

Hutton-Mcmanus-Berra-Wallace/whittaker

Whittaker/maloney-Brown-Fletcher-Mcfadden

-----------------Fletcher

--------------Boyd.

Maloney for diddy teams, whittaker for the hard games.

NO........Because if the new manager puts him on the bench he'll spit the dummy out again and we'll have the media greeting AGAIN :hang:

Weir was publicly blamed and humiliated by Vogts (wrongly) after the Faroes debacle and, tbh, you couldn't blame him for telling Berti to shove it.

Boyd was a completely different kettle of fish as he just chucked the toys oot because he never got off the bench. A greeting faced bawbag with ideas well above his station imo.

Not sure if Weir actually said he was quitting. Didnt Burley tell him "thanks for your services but you are no longer needed" (until he actually needed him again that is)

Weir quit after the 2-2 draw with the Faroe Islands after Vogts criticised his and Dailly's performances. He then returned when Walter Smith was appointed.

Weir was publicly blamed and humiliated by Vogts (wrongly) after the Faroes debacle and, tbh, you couldn't blame him for telling Berti to shove it.

Boyd was a completely different kettle of fish as he just chucked the toys oot because he never got off the bench. A greeting faced bawbag with ideas well above his station imo.

The more I think of it though, it was all a bit humiliating for Boyd and not for the first time either.

I dont like him, he is an egotistical wee tramp. Maybe we need mroe players like that.

Riordan and Boyd wouldnt be short of confidence 1 on 1 with the keeper. Unlike Kenny-score Milller

------------Gordon-------

Hutton-Mcmanus-Berra-Wallace/whittaker

Whittaker/maloney-Brown-Fletcher-Mcfadden

-----------------Fletcher

--------------Boyd.

Maloney for diddy teams, whittaker for the hard games.

I couldn't pick a whole team because they are pish but the backbone would be:

Gordon

Berra

Fletcher (holding mid)

S.Fletcher

It wouldn't include McManus or Maloney who are utter guff. Hate to say it but I'd get Webster back in. Very good international defender.

Thig Ar Latha
The more I think of it though, it was all a bit humiliating for Boyd and not for the first time either.

I dont like him, he is an egotistical wee tramp. Maybe we need mroe players like that.

Riordan and Boyd wouldnt be short of confidence 1 on 1 with the keeper. Unlike Kenny-score Milller

Have you forgotten what Riordan was like twice last season when one on one with 'The Balogh'?

Weir has to take a large portion of blame for that game. The defence was ripped to shreds by a school teacher ffs.

Have you forgotten what Riordan was like twice last season when one on one with 'The Balogh'?

okok Riordan never scores, you win. :qqb017:

Thig Ar Latha
okok Riordan never scores, you win. :qqb017:

Riordan can score when in the mood, but he disappears for long periods during games. I would have Fletcher before Riordan any day.

Scott,

Are you talking about the first time round or the second for Weir.

1st time round, Berti publicly chastised Weir and Dailly, big time. Whether rightly or wrongly, Weir didn't think his international manager should be doing this. To an extent I can sympathise with him - just - see later.

2nd time round, Burley dropped him. Did Weir actually announce any retirement? He was back a game later remember.

You are not comparing apples with apples in any way with the Boyd position. He took the huff because he wasn't picked for a game and being the big headed prat he is, thought he was bigger than the national team and made his mind up to temporarily retire from international football.

We aren't talkiing Schuster or Guillit or Rickjard or any other world class player who has fallen out with his manager. Boyd is not in any position to dictate to Smith, McLeish, Burley, Le Guen or whoever the next Rangers / Scotland manager when he plays. He is not that important.

In fact, lets get this straight. Darren Fletcher is the only Scottish player performing at a high enough standard to seek any form of 'dispensation' from the national team. Quite frankly if any of the rest of the squad have any ambition to be remembered as really good footballers, their only way of doing this is through the national team, and qualifying for a major championship.

If Boyd can't get this through his thick skull, then as far as I'm concerned he will always be more of a liability than an asset to the national team. And I respect Walter Smith for agreeing with my view whenever it comes to Rangers playing anyone half decent.

Scott,

Are you talking about the first time round or the second for Weir.

1st time round, Berti publicly chastised Weir and Dailly, big time. Whether rightly or wrongly, Weir didn't think his international manager should be doing this. To an extent I can sympathise with him - just - see later.

2nd time round, Burley dropped him. Did Weir actually announce any retirement? He was back a game later remember.

You are not comparing apples with apples in any way with the Boyd position. He took the huff because he wasn't picked for a game and being the big headed prat he is, thought he was bigger than the national team and made his mind up to temporarily retire from international football.

We aren't talkiing Schuster or Guillit or Rickjard or any other world class player who has fallen out with his manager. Boyd is not in any position to dictate to Smith, McLeish, Burley, Le Guen or whoever the next Rangers / Scotland manager when he plays. He is not that important.

In fact, lets get this straight. Darren Fletcher is the only Scottish player performing at a high enough standard to seek any form of 'dispensation' from the national team. Quite frankly if any of the rest of the squad have any ambition to be remembered as really good footballers, their only way of doing this is through the national team, and qualifying for a major championship.

If Boyd can't get this through his thick skull, then as far as I'm concerned he will always be more of a liability than an asset to the national team. And I respect Walter Smith for agreeing with my view whenever it comes to Rangers playing anyone half decent.

I was comparing it to the Berti Vogts one, where Weir decided that turning back on his country was justified due to one managers incompetence.

I think Boyd did the same here. I dont think both situations are equal, i would agree that Boyd hasnt earned the right to spit the dummy but does he deserve a reprieve, just like Weir got?

A question i thought id put out for debate, im still undecided, but i do know that Hearts and Scotland are similair in that we need goals and we would all tak Boyd at Hearts right now.

It's my assumption ( and only an assumption ) that Boyd was possibly lazing about during the Scotland squad training sessions, wearing his 29 league goals like a badge for all to see, and Burley felt obliged to make some kind of 'statement' - especially in view of his possible negative influence on the younger squad members.

Oh aye ......plus the fact he's a *******

As I posted on another thread, Boyd cannot just suddenly decide to play again. He has to acknowledge that he was in the wrong, and he should serve some suspension.

Remember, it's Boyd who has deselected himself here. Reading Chick Young's (I know) utterings on the BBC website, it was along the lines of could we "persuade" Boyd to come back? Us persuade him? No.

If Boyd can find it in himself to:-

1. Apologise to the SFA, his fellow players, and, most important of all, Scotland fans, and accept that he (and not Burley) was in the wrong

2. Accept a punishment that is more than a token; I'd suggest being out of the international squad for the rest of this season.

He can return.

But if he thinks he can just pick and choose, and come back on his own terms, sorry, such a parcel of arrogance and petulance is better off out the door for good.

It's my assumption ( and only an assumption ) that Boyd was possibly lazing about during the Scotland squad training sessions, wearing his 29 league goals like a badge for all to see, and Burley felt obliged to make some kind of 'statement' - especially in view of his possible negative influence on the younger squad members.

Oh aye ......plus the fact he's a *******

BD,

This is my personal take as well however Burley b@llsed it up by big time by claiming it was down to a lack of game time - especially as 3 of our big time players (Gordon, Fletcher, McFadden) were struggling for club game time.

But GBs other problem was that he had no, notably tabloid, media friends to put it out to the public what the real Boyd issues were.

I was thinking about this today. I think they are a couple if stupid little boys but if they can show that they have grown up then why not give them a second chance.

I dont see the problem here.

boyd took the huff (rightly or wrongly) and said he wouldnt play for scotland under burley again.

burley is now gone.

if the new manager wants to pick him he can, if boyd dosent want to play or dose fine. no crawling back just he is now available for selection if the new manger desires.

the other two muppets are banded by the gfa hence un-selectable

boyd took the huff (rightly or wrongly) and said he wouldnt play for scotland under burley again.

burley is now gone.

if the new manager wants to pick him he can, if boyd dosent want to play or dose fine. no crawling back just he is now available for selection if the new manger desires.

If and when he gets selected again it will have been discussed behind the scenes with the new manager beforehand.

If lazy boy(d) is selected for the team fine, if he isn't will the toys be thrown

out the pram again ?

You can fool some of the people all of the time etc ....

Thig Ar Latha

burley is now gone.

Boyd should not be allowed back without apologising to his Team mates, the Scotland Supporters and the coaching staff first. Even then he should have to wait his chance and prove he's matured a lot. Unlike the other two, Boyd's was not a capital offence and should be given another chance if his play and attitude are good enough.

The reason that I think he should bide his time and behave, more than other players is that his action, IMO was a blatent attempt to have Burley removed and distablise the Team. All because he could'nt get a game.

If and when he gets selected again it will have been discussed behind the scenes with the new manager beforehand.

If lazy boy(d) is selected for the games fine, if he isn't will the toys be thrown

out the pram again ?

You can fool some of the people all of the time etc ....

The new manager should be the one left to decided that. if the new manager thinks its a big risk he shouldnt select him. If he is prepared to take the risk then pick him. It should be up to the new manager.

if he dose and boyd spits the dummy again then the same applies but why would anyone pick him if it happened twice?

Boyd should not be allowed back without apologising to his Team mates, the Scotland Supporters and the coaching staff first. Even then he should have to wait his chance and prove he's matured a lot. Unlike the other two, Boyd's was not a capital offence and should be given another chance if his play and attitude are good enough.

The reason that I think he should bide his time and behave, more than other players is that his action, IMO was a blatent attempt to have Burley removed and distablise the Team. All because he could'nt get a game.

I agree a apology is in order but behind closed doors for me. Im not bothered if he apologies to the supporters or not. If he get back in he dose a job or he gets left out.

Maybe he tryed to get rid of burley but maybe he just vented his frustrations in the wrong way.

the manager should be in complete control of the team

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I would take him back. we're not good enough to be arsey. McGregor and Ferguson were bang out of order (twice) and should be erased from the records. But I still think Boyd had a point (albiet he could have put it better, and not bandied it about the press for weeks on end after).

I know the national team can be an emotive subject, and I know not everyone will agree but get him back, throw him in and if he proves to be as gash as people believe him to be (I personally think he's a good player, an arsehole but a good player) then get him tae. If he comes back refreshed and scoring goals then Scotland gain. Footballers are preety much all jakeball's with money. You cant expect them to get everything right.

It shows you the depths we've sunk to and the bloody hard job any Scotland manager would have when Davie Weir is STILL far and away the best centre half currently playing professional football and qualified to play for Scotland.

(Yes I include Berra in that statement if only on the grounds of inexperience at that level)

At the time the Boyd furore broke , his stats for his 'non appearance' in big club games for the Huns were aired on here ad nauseam. Why are you comparing Boyd with Weir ? It's two completely different arguements.

Weir took exception to being blamed by Bertie after a holocaust in the Faroes. Boyd is a nothing footballer that couldn't even get a move to Birmingham.

Thig Ar Latha
I agree a apology is in order but behind closed doors for me. Im not bothered if he apologies to the supporters or not. If he get back in he dose a job or he gets left out.

Maybe he tryed to get rid of burley but maybe he just vented his frustrations in the wrong way.

the manager should be in complete control of the team

1. He vented his feelings in a very wrong and immature way.

2. Your right, the Manager should always be in charge, but for some reason Burley very rarely appeared to be. I don't think he ever really won the players over, too soft.

1. He vented his feelings in a very wrong and immature way.

2. Your right, the Manager should always be in charge, but for some reason Burley very rarely appeared to be. I don't think he ever really won the players over, too soft.

So were agreed on point 1

The point i was making on the second was the next manager should be in complete control, if he wants boyd thats his call.

for a laugh my out there pick would be bruce arena.

top that for random :2thumbsup:

Thig Ar Latha
So were agreed on point 1

The point i was making on the second was the next manager should be in complete control, if he wants boyd thats his call.

for a laugh my out there pick would be bruce arena.

top that for random :2thumbsup:

:nah:

Can't beat that for random. :wacko2:

:nah:

Can't beat that for random. :wacko2:

How not?

he done well with America for years and has experienced international football.

The american team that he built got to the confed cup final.

Thig Ar Latha
How not?

he done well with America for years and has experienced international football.

The american team that he built got to the confed cup final.

Now you mention America I have a vague memory of him, I'd totally forgotten him. Now you've reminded me of who he is, I still don't think he'll get another mention due to a lack of knowledge of the European game. If you come back and say he's managed in Europe I'll be totaly lost for words.

Good Night!

Now you mention America I have a vague memory of him, I'd totally forgotten him. Now you've reminded me of who he is, I still don't think he'll get another mention due to a lack of knowledge of the European game. If you come back and say he's managed in Europe I'll be totaly lost for words.

Good Night!

He's head coach at L.A. galaxy do it was never gonna happen but i think its a better shout that jimmy calderwood etc

good night

His goals came in ...

2 x Bulgaria (friendly)

2 x Faroe Islands

1 x Georgia

1 x Lithuania

In a qualifying campaing, 8 out of the 10 games are against teams that are similar in quality to the ones listed.

So he may not score against the real top teams, but who does?

He's still a c__t though.:smiley2:

Boyd missed a similar chance to iwelumo against Georgia, fresh air kick from 6 yards, difference is not many remember it because beattie bailed him out with a last minute winner

I consider Boyd's retirement the highlight of Burley's reign. No good manager will ever pick him against decent opposition cause he's fat, lazy and commits more fouls than Claudio Gentile.

I could just about live with Ferguson/McGregor being brought back as theirs was a 'punishment' of sorts, but if Boyd were to come back i would lose what little interest i do have for the Scotland team.

Boyd did not have a legitimate reason. He wasnt getting a game for rangers at the time and Burley picked players ahead of him who were getting games and rightly so. Boyd spat the dummy, unless he apologises he should never play for sctoland again

Archived