Anyone ever torn their anterior cruciate ligament?

Medico

Has anyone ever torn their anterior cruciate ligament in their knee and had to have an operation to have it reconstructed? Or do you know anyone who has?

I'm doing my dissertation this year on a balance test (simple & pain free) which is used to test the return to function of the knee, and am looking for some people who have had their ligament reconstructed and are now back to fairly normal activity levels.

If you'd be willing to help either drop me a PM or reply and I can give you some more information.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I've done it mate....

Playing for the JKB West Lothian fives..!!, done it back in May and have been having rehab since then.

Got a meeting with the consultant next week to decide on next step but looks pretty much like keyhole surgery.

Got 2 tears in my Cartlidge and a tear in my cruciate.......was off my feet completely for about 2 weeks then started to learn to walk again......

Not sure if any info on this would help but feel free to PM me if it does.....

I had an ACL reconstruction in 2007 although I've been pretty lazy since I finished my rehab last year - I blame work! I'm hardly back to normal levels of fitness but I did play a couple of games of tennis on a recent holiday.

My son had it done about 3 years ago then suffered some kind of relapse last year. Eventually underwent keyhole surgery which revealed that the original repair had 'stretched' according to the surgeon. He was told he could choose to live with the pain or undergo the op again. He sees the surgeon next week to let him know his decision to have the op again.

I snapped mine 3 years ago. Was wrongly diagnosed for a year, eventually had the acl reconstruction. Knee is now riddled with arthritis. Football career over! Nhs are idiots!

My mate had his acl reconstructed four months ago and is back playing football already, he's off his head. Sure he will regret it later.

I snapped mine 3 years ago. Was wrongly diagnosed for a year, eventually had the acl reconstruction. Knee is now riddled with arthritis. Football career over! Nhs are idiots!

I feel your pain. I had the same problem. It was never checked out properly and the guy diagnosed a medial ligament tear. I played a couple of games of fives and made it worse, then completely horsed it ceilidh dancing at a wedding. :stuart:

Worse was to come when my GP suggested I could skip the waiting list if I got a diagnosis at BUPA (which turned out to be rubbish). He took 5 minutes and ?250 to tell me I'd ruptured my ACL and needed an op. Bizarrely, he sent a letter to my GP to send back to him with his NHS hat on, to start the surgery process. And I was told to wait a few months or so for an operation.

Waited a few months and heard nothing. Turned out my GP hadn't done anything about the letter from BUPA and I had to start again. So it took me from October 2004 to August 2007 to get it fixed.

My knee clicks to **** and does get quite sore in the winter, but if I built my fitness back up, I could probably start playing football again. I have to admit though, I'm **** scared of playing on those pitches and doing it for a second time. Quite sad really as I used to play fives about 3/4 times a week.

I take glucosmine and chondroitin which does seem to make my knee feel stronger and less arthritic.

My mate had his acl reconstructed four months ago and is back playing football already, he's off his head. Sure he will regret it later.

Seriously! He must have put a shift in in his rehab. Mind you pro footballers are generally ready to start training 6 months after the op. It's not something I'd recommend.

Cheers for your replies guys!

A couple of you might be able to help me out, so I'm going to PM you some more information.

Do you think there's any chance your mate might be interested in helping me out?

Basically involves having his balance tested using a simple test, would take about half an hour.

Archived