The Strokes - best album of the decade?

blondejamtart

Say What Again

People never usually agree over things like this BJT (and I don't expect they will on this thread), however I do agree this time.

A great album that I played to death when it first came out.

One thing's for sure, nothing else on that list is better. :peepwall:

blondejamtart

It is a good album, no doubt about that - that's the thing about these lists though, isn't it? Everyone's got their own opinions and you could probably have 100 of these lists and they'd all be different.

Miller Jambo 60
It is a good album, no doubt about that - that's the thing about these lists though, isn't it? Everyone's got their own opinions and you could probably have 100 of these lists and they'd all be different.

Oh dear ive never heard of them.

BJT set up a link for me so i can have a listen.

Then i will judge.

Doug.

For you doug. I will. :stuart:

Every version is disabled but click the link. This is the song they are best known for.

I personally don't rate them that much.

The People's Chimp
For you doug. I will. :stuart:

Every version is disabled but click the link. This is the song they are best known for.

I personally don't rate them that much.

Maybe to you, however, I think pretty much anyone else would agree that they're best known for their blistering debut, which regardless of what you think of them, did change the landscape when it came out.

Maybe to you, however, I think pretty much anyone else would agree that they're best known for their blistering debut, which regardless of what you think of them, did change the landscape when it came out.

Juicebox was the song that got them widespread pop-culture interest. It was the one played on the radio every second.

I think its safe to say The Strokes reignited guitar bands, there was a serious lull in the genre until Is This It was released. This in turn was the biggest influence on The Libertines who, agree or disagree, were a major influence for what followed, music and socially.

Say What Again
Juicebox was the song that got them widespread pop-culture interest. It was the one played on the radio every second.

Would disagree it's the track they're best known for.

The OP is discussing the fact their debut album from 2001 has been 'voted' album of the decade, add to that, IIRC, 'Last Nite' was in the top 5 in NME's 'Song of the Decade' last year. So, while it's not my favourite track of theirs, I'd say they're more well known for that than a track from their 3rd album, 5 years later.

Say What Again
arctic monkeys and the killers debut's were better. amazing albums.

That's the one album that jumped out at me as a glaring omission from the list.

Another excellent album, but you're quite simply wrong to say it's better than the Strokes debut.

Hope that clears things up for you. :10900:

That's the one album that jumped out at me as a glaring omission from the list.

Another excellent album, but you're quite simply wrong to say it's better than the Strokes debut.

Hope that clears things up for you. :10900:

no sir, it is you who are wrong. good day.

Lets be honest here, the list is from NME, who print the most pretentious self-interested crap, and have a spiteful attitude to big-selling bands that are bigger than their favourites who struggle to sell a hundred tickets per gig.

Utterly irrelevant list compiled by 13 year olds. Proven by the fact that Funeral by Arcade Fire is so far down the list behind Libertines and Arctic Monkeys. How did Babyshambles or Blur's Think Tank get in? No Goldfrapp, Jimmy Eat World, Sigur Ros, Kings Of Leon, Manics (Journal For Plague Lovers), Mark Lanegan (Bubblegum), Raconteurs, and many other obvious choices.

1. The Strokes ? 'Is This It'

2. The Libertines ? 'Up The Bracket'

3. Primal Scream ? 'Xtrmntr'

4. Arctic Monkeys ? 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs ? 'Fever To Tell'

6. PJ Harvey ? 'Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea'

7. Arcade Fire ? 'Funeral'

8. Interpol ? 'Turn On The Bright Lights'

9. The Streets ? 'Original Pirate Material'

10. Radiohead ? 'In Rainbows'

11. At The Drive In ? 'Relationship Of Command'

12. LCD Soundsystem ? 'The Sound Of Silver'

13. The Shins ? 'Wincing The Night Away'

14. Radiohead ? 'Kid A'

15. Queens Of The Stone Age ? 'Songs For The Deaf'

16. The Streets ? 'A Grand Don't Come For Free'

17. Sufjan Stevens ? 'Illinoise'

18. The White Stripes ? 'Elephant'

19. The White Stripes ? 'White Blood Cells'

20. Blur ? 'Think Tank'

21. The Coral ? 'The Coral'

22. Jay-Z ? 'The Blueprint'

23. Klaxons ? 'Myths Of The Near Future'

24. The Libertines ? 'The Libertines'

25. The Rapture ? 'Echoes'

26. Dizzee Rascal ? 'Boy in Da Corner'

27. Amy Winehouse ? 'Back To Black'

28. Johnny Cash ? 'Man Comes Around'

29. Super Furry Animals ? 'Rings Around The World'

30. Elbow ? 'Asleep In The Back'

31. Bright Eyes ? 'I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning'

32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs ? 'Show Your Bones'

33. Arcade Fire ? 'Neon Bible'

34. Grandaddy ? 'The Sophtware Slump'

35. Babyshambles ? 'Down In Albion'

36. Spirtualized ? 'Let it Come Down'

37. The Knife ? 'Silent Shout'

38. Bloc Party ? 'Silent Alarm'

39. Crystal Castles ? 'Crystal Castles'

40. Ryan Adams ? 'Gold'

41. Wild Beasts ? 'Two Dancers'

42. Vampire Weekend ? 'Vampire Weekend'

43. Wilco ? 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot'

44. Outkast ? 'Loveboxxx/The Love Below'

45. Avalanches ? 'Since I Left You'

46. The Delgados ? 'The Great Eastern'

47. Brendan Benson ? 'Lapalco'

48. The Walkmen ? 'Bows and Arrows'

49. Muse ? 'Absolution'

50. MIA ? 'Arular'

The Strokes debut is ok but not great, and they went downhill after that.

The best album, by far is Relationship Of Command by At The Drive-in.

Would have to nominate 'Rings Around The World' by the Super Furry Animals, which surprisingly actually made it onto that list, albeit at No. 29!

The People's Chimp

I'm not really wanting to argue with you, but you're wrong!

Pop culture interest? The strokes were everywhere in 2001 - including NME's album of the year.

Now, 2001, with the internet being less developed, print media was much more important, so to talk about widespread pop cultural relevance and ignore being 2001's album of the year in the NME is pretty flawed.

Maybe you weren't old enough at the time, but when that album came out it was a blast and they really were everywhere - changing fashion and bringing in the wave of garage rock bands who followed through the decade.

And Picard - The killers? Are you for real?

The People's Chimp

I think the pitchfork review on their 2001 list sums the album up best, especially looking back at it from 8 or 9 years after its release.

" 15 Strokes

Is This It

[RCA]

Sons of privilege unabashedly copping VU and Pink Flag licks. Showered with praise in the UK before their first album was even released. Fed big-label dollars, but damping their sound to give the illusion that they're a garage band. There were plenty of reasons to hate the Strokes, but from the first notes of Is This It , it's clearly the kind of album you could imagine one day being regarded as a classic. Despite the conceits, it's hard to find fault with anything on the album. The arrangements are tight and lean, packed with hooks and peppered with attitude, the Strokes spit out proto-punk tunes like pre-fab homes. Twenty years from now, I'm betting 2001 will be remembered as the year the Strokes broke onto the scene. And if that ****es you off, chances are you're just jealous. --Nathan Rooney "

People never usually agree over things like this BJT (and I don't expect they will on this thread), however I do agree this time.

A great album that I played to death when it first came out.

One thing's for sure, nothing else on that list is better. :peepwall:[/quote]

My erse

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Say What Again
My erse

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Wondered when you'd be along to spout your Artic Moneys are better pish.

Here's a t shirt I was going to keep as a Xmas pressie for you.

you_are_wrong_tshirt-p235534579866700998yyxh_400.jpg

Victor Mancini

the strokes "is this it" is my personal fave album of all time,

my 2 stand out tracks would be hard to explain & someday(posted below) though its one of the few albums i listen to without an urge to skip any tracks

doug i'm sure you'll recognise the song below from there second album it gets used on the bbc highlights or it used to

imo "is this it" is a stronger album than arctic's debut and i don't like the killers so it'd be unfair to compare my fav album to band a don't even like

The best album, by far is Relationship Of Command by At The Drive-in.

This.

Good to see Sufjan Stevens ? Illinoise in there too

Im amazed Scouting For Girls never made it in the top 10.

Its just one of those albums.

snap, aren't they one of NME's best bands?

with this ommision i am begining to doubt whether this is not a joke and the real one with scounting for girls at least in the top 5 will come out in their next issue :10900:

Juicebox was an average song which i think was to promote their new average album.

Perhaps the fact that 'is this it' came out 8-9 years ago clouds people's judgement about how big it was, it was in the charts for ages.

Very decent album. no1? doubftul.

Loads of things that I would have included that aren't there, but pleased that Primal Scream XTRMNTR is highly placed.

Storming tunes, and although i don't agree with all of Bobby Gillespie's politics, it feels representative of the time and place.

Glad to see Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles in there. On the whole a lot of good albums in there. I am not going to get involved in the petty one-upmanship of kickback, yes, we all like bands that aren't in there etc.

I've got This is It but have never heard Juicebox until I clicked your link.

InNothingWeTrust
I've got This is It but have never heard Juicebox until I clicked your link.

It's "Is This It?" and Juicebox is on their third album, "First Impressions Of Earth". "Is This It?" is a top notch album, but I still think Heart In A Cage is one of their best.

Amazed Muse were way down at 49. Absolution isn't even considered their best album by the majority of fans, but is my personal favourite.

Not a fan of these lists as it's always down to opinion, but enjoy it when bands I like do well.

I'm an old fart and didn't catch up with "Is This It?" until a couple of years after it came out. It made a big impression, though - strong songs, well played. As with many big impact albums you relate to a particular period, though, I hardly touch it any more. I'll probably be listening to PJ Harvey and Surfjan long after I've forgotten The Strokes.

There was another "Albums of the Decade" list out about a month ago that I could relate to a bit more - probably Uncut's. Catered a bit more for the smelly and incontinent - Tom Waits albums, that sort of thing.

I P Knightley

There's not many albums that I've bought purely for the picture on the sleeve.

In fact, I think there's only one.

the_strokes_-_is_this_it_a.jpg

The musical contents sadly never lived up to my expectations.

The full 100 can be seen here : http://www.nme.com/list/albums-of-the-decade/158049

Best one on it for me is number 76, 'Civil Disobedients' by Capdown, awesome album. 'The Devil and God are Ranging Inside Me' by Brand New, at 74, is another winner, although I'd say their second album 'Deja Entendu' is actually better. For some reason the clip they have beside it is a song from 'Deja Entendu' as well.

Like most of the 'top 10', not sure they'd actually be my top 10 though.

In Rainbows however, is ****ing ****e.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha god what a silly thing to say haahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahaahahaha

sorry, i'll stop being a dick head and compose myself...

(cough)

in terms of creativity in rainbows craps on everything on that list with one exception, and that's kid a.

it's crystal clear, beautiful, original, and genuinely like nothing else before or after. same goes for kid a (i'm not saying radiohead don't have influences, course they bloody do, even yorke said that aphex twin is all over kid a - it's the way they make these influences their own that will never cease to amaze me). they are also the only band that seems to be able to do "big" without doing this crappy festival/stadium stuff that everyone since coldplay has been trying to do (snow patrol, kings of leon's last album etc...)

radiohead consistently (possible exception being HTTT) do what no other band i know of does - gives the listener exactly what they never knew they wanted.

i'll tone down the smug tosserness some more and say fair enough if it's not your cup of tea, but in rainbows is great, and even steps away from the "depressing" stuff that people moan about. give it another shot, it's ****ing genius.

Johanes de Silentio
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha god what a silly thing to say haahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahaahahaha

(cough)

in terms of creativity in rainbows craps on everything on that list with one exception, and that's kid a.

it's crystal clear, beautiful, original, and genuinely like nothing else before or after. same goes for kid a (i'm not saying radiohead don't have influences, course they bloody do, even yorke said that aphex twin is all over kid a - it's the way they make these influences their own that will never cease to amaze me). they are also the only band that seems to be able to do "big" without doing this crappy festival/stadium stuff that everyone since coldplay has been trying to do (snow patrol, kings of leon's last album etc...)

radiohead consistently (possible exception being HTTT) do what no other band i know of does - gives the listener exactly what they never knew they wanted.

i'll tone down the smug tosserness some more and say fair enough if it's not your cup of tea, but in rainbows is great, and even steps away from the "depressing" stuff that people moan about. give it another shot, it's ****ing genius.

Bravo! :2thumbsup:

Victor Mancini
There's not many albums that I've bought purely for the picture on the sleeve.

In fact, I think there's only one.

the_strokes_-_is_this_it_a.jpg

The musical contents sadly never lived up to my expectations.

as a big strokes fan i've got the 3.5ft x 2ft promo poster(pic above) framed in my room, which often draws remarks like "nice ass" etc... untill i ask them if they think its a boy or girl?:th_o:

The full 100 can be seen here : http://www.nme.com/list/albums-of-the-decade/158049

Best one on it for me is number 76, 'Civil Disobedients' by Capdown, awesome album. 'The Devil and God are Ranging Inside Me' by Brand New, at 74, is another winner, although I'd say their second album 'Deja Entendu' is actually better. For some reason the clip they have beside it is a song from 'Deja Entendu' as well.

I got as far as seeing MGMT are behind the maccabees and gave up on it as the total tosh that it is (and that NME always dish out, so i don't know why im suprised)

I P Knightley
as a big strokes fan i've got the 3.5ft x 2ft promo poster(pic above) framed in my room, which often draws remarks like "nice ass" etc... untill i ask them if they think its a boy or girl?:th_o:

Don't do that. It's not funny.

I don't think I want to know the answer.

I'm never looking at it again.

Have I just had a Crying Game moment?

Ppth-pth-pth-pth-pth...

(cough)

It's pish. Their apparent "depressing" stuff was better, In Rainbows just summed up for me all the pretentious melodramatic bollocks they've produced sinse The Bends.

If you like them fair enough that's your choice but it's not going to change my opinion of them.

1. The Strokes ? 'Is This It'

2. The Libertines ? 'Up The Bracket'

3. Primal Scream ? 'Xtrmntr'

4. Arctic Monkeys ? 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs ? 'Fever To Tell'

6. PJ Harvey ? 'Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea'

7. Arcade Fire ? 'Funeral'

8. Interpol ? 'Turn On The Bright Lights'

9. The Streets ? 'Original Pirate Material'

10. Radiohead ? 'In Rainbows'

11. At The Drive In ? 'Relationship Of Command'

12. LCD Soundsystem ? 'The Sound Of Silver'

13. The Shins ? 'Wincing The Night Away'

14. Radiohead ? 'Kid A'

15. Queens Of The Stone Age ? 'Songs For The Deaf'

16. The Streets ? 'A Grand Don't Come For Free'

17. Sufjan Stevens ? 'Illinoise'

18. The White Stripes ? 'Elephant'

19. The White Stripes ? 'White Blood Cells'

20. Blur ? 'Think Tank'

21. The Coral ? 'The Coral'

22. Jay-Z ? 'The Blueprint'

23. Klaxons ? 'Myths Of The Near Future'

24. The Libertines ? 'The Libertines'

25. The Rapture ? 'Echoes'

26. Dizzee Rascal ? 'Boy in Da Corner'

27. Amy Winehouse ? 'Back To Black'

28. Johnny Cash ? 'Man Comes Around'

29. Super Furry Animals ? 'Rings Around The World'

30. Elbow ? 'Asleep In The Back'

31. Bright Eyes ? 'I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning'

32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs ? 'Show Your Bones'

33. Arcade Fire ? 'Neon Bible'

34. Grandaddy ? 'The Sophtware Slump'

35. Babyshambles ? 'Down In Albion'

36. Spirtualized ? 'Let it Come Down'

37. The Knife ? 'Silent Shout'

38. Bloc Party ? 'Silent Alarm'

39. Crystal Castles ? 'Crystal Castles'

40. Ryan Adams ? 'Gold'

41. Wild Beasts ? 'Two Dancers'

42. Vampire Weekend ? 'Vampire Weekend'

43. Wilco ? 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot'

44. Outkast ? 'Loveboxxx/The Love Below'

45. Avalanches ? 'Since I Left You'

46. The Delgados ? 'The Great Eastern'

47. Brendan Benson ? 'Lapalco'

48. The Walkmen ? 'Bows and Arrows'

49. Muse ? 'Absolution'

50. MIA ? 'Arular'

Agree with the top 3, not a fan of Arctic Monkeys so won't comment on them but don't know why Yeah Yeah Yeah's are at 5, got the album and love it but wouldn't be in my top 10.

Also think Neon Bible is better than Funeral but they would both be in my top 5 along with Absolution which is my favourite Muse album

My two cents on the radiohead debate is that 'in rainbows' is my favorite of their records.

looking at the rest of the list it's cool to see some other bands in there

botch - we are the romans at 67 is a fantastic metal record

Godspeed you! black emperor at 63

roots manuva at 85

mcklusky do dallas

some dubious ones though. the new twilight sad album has been out five minutes and ain't a patch on the first one and the shellac record excellent italian grayhound aint the best. and Mirrored by battles is missing. but alas.

Archived