What have you sacrificed in life for Hearts?

Ray Winstone

What is the biggest thing in your life you have sacrificed because of being a Hearts fan?

A marriage? An amazing job opportunity? etc etc

It would be interesting to see how far some have gone just to support the famous.

*this is not 'I am a better fan debate'.

jambojackbilly

A job, took time off for an away day, was soon to be told i was no longer required :hang::smiley2:

Forgot, my liberty a few times !!!

Phoned in sick to go to a new year game against hibs at tynie, we ended up getting beat 3-2 it was a late game.

I seem to remember kenny miller scoring for them

I quit a job to go to a Scotland game a few years ago. It was just a part time in between school and college job but still packed it in when they said I was not getting time off to go to the game. Cant even remember who we were playing now, was a Euro or World cup qualifier.

I do not think ive done anything overly special for Hearts though. Just been a season ticket holder for a good few years now and put up with the ups and downs. Still love it though!

giving away my semi and cup final tickets in 2006..I was very pregnant the first one with screaming new born the other...gutted? yes..would I swap it for another version? nah..he's my junior jambo :10900:

:qqb004::qqb004::qqb004:missed my boys first day at school cos i was in athens - he's a season ticket holder now and understands!

i have given up nothing to be a hearts fan.

in fact becoming a hearts fan spared every one of us from the potential eternal pain and damnation of being one of 'them'.

it's a win-win... even if it doesn't seem like it all of the time.

wasn't "spared" - no way would my old man have let me contemplate supporting "them" or their spurious "causes"!

gordon the jambo
What is the biggest thing in your life you have sacrificed because of being a Hearts fan?

A marriage? An amazing job opportunity? etc etc

It would be interesting to see how far some have gone just to support the famous.

*this is not 'I am a better fan debate'.

Got locked up in Kirckaldy and ?200 fine

My auld man was not present for my birth to go see Hearts V Hibs....

Is that why you support Hibs? As some sort of payback to your old boy? :th_o:

My financial wellbeing, and the health of my liver. :blink:

I left the country I love after Dens.

Ditto and took my black eye with me. Came back though.

Hearts are in my blood.

dad missed my first birthday party for the 86 cup final, my mum has never forgave him.

I have split up with a girl for the famous... no contest.

same old story tho, you can change your fasion/music taste/job/car/pets/friends/house/religion but you can never change your football team

Nearly my job, was off "sick" to to go Stuttgart and was spotted coming through the airport pushing a trolley when Billy Brown was getting interviewed..

dad missed my first birthday party for the 86 cup final, my mum has never forgave him.

I have split up with a girl for the famous... no contest.

same old story tho, you can change your fasion/music taste/job/car/pets/friends/house/religion but you can never change your football team

My ex-wife said the immortal words ''You think more of Hearts than you do of me !'' obviously I replied '' I think more of Hibs than I do of you !'' needless to say our marriage didn't last much longer . :10900:

portobellojambo1

My marriage.

Had a choice, I could have stayed married and continued to watch Hearts at Tynecastle only, or the other option was to get back into following Hearts home and away every week again, including Europe. Unfortunately finance meant doing both wasn't an option.

Wasn't really a difficult choice to make, no woman can do anything to you or for you that gives as much pleasure as watching Hearts succeed, and no woman can hurt you as much as watching Hearts lose hurts.

Me and the ex probably get on better now than at any time we were married, because she knew what I was missing, as did I.

My marriage.

Had a choice, I could have stayed married and continued to watch Hearts at Tynecastle only, or the other option was to get back into following Hearts home and away every week again, including Europe. Unfortunately finance meant doing both wasn't an option.

Wasn't really a difficult choice to make, no woman can do anything to you or for you that gives as much pleasure as watching Hearts succeed, and no woman can hurt you as much as watching Hearts lose hurts.

Me and the ex probably get on better now than at any time we were married, because she knew what I was missing, as did I.

:hat2:

My marriage.

Mate thats wrong. Regular poon > watching hearts get humped.

chester copperpot

Was down to final 12 for a very good position in my company a few years back, but pulled out the final part of the application due to them wanting me to go and spend a weekend in the management trainee centre the weekend of the cup final against Gretna.

Needless to say, didn't get the job.

portobellojambo1
Mate thats wrong. Regular poon > watching hearts get humped.

There were other factors, it wasn't the sole factor, but if I'm honest it (i.e. HMFC) did play a part, because I wasn't happy, and as I've said, we both knew why.

And me being unhappy meant she was unhappy, and if you have two unhappy people then leaving them together just makes the situation worse.

I'm happy now, as is she, so nothing has been lost.

The Old Tolbooth

A marraige to a hibby!

Hang on, that's not a sacrifice, that's expected! :D

It was never gonna last anyway, hobo tw@t!

Xmas time a couple of years ago, I pulled a sickie at Costco. We were playing Falkirk. I parked the car at Bryson Road and made my way to the Diggers as normal.

Pished down with horizontal sleet and rain, feckin freezin, beat 2-0, played sheidt, got back to the car with a parking ticket attatched.

Not a good day.

A-levels.

Instead of studying and handing in all expected essays on time, I spent my sixth form days scrounging the cash for the rail fare from Newcastle as well as producing a Hearts fanzine.

Needless to say I failed them and had to do another two years at FE college. Curiously enough, when I stopped the fanzine and began to limit my trips up north, my grades improved and I bagged my A-levels.

I gave up my ticket for the '98 cup final as my gfriend was going back home a couple of days after and I thought I should spend the day with her instead.

What a sap but a happy ending, she's now my missus, hearts won and we're expecting our first half scottish half dutch bairn next month.

Can"t wait to buy a baby hearts outfit.

And yet I bet every May 16th you question that decision.

I guess in a way I chose to stay in Edinburgh for uni. Didn't want to leave (and one of the reasons was Hearts ;-) )

Inspector Villiers

Was in New York in May, day of the Derby. Phoned around a few pubs and found one that promised to be showing the game. On the day of the match a few hours before i was walking near Times square when some guy came out of a studio and offered me and my missus two tickets to The David Letterman show. Only problem was it clashed with the game. Bear in mind Letterman tickets are like gold dust over there, you have to usually apply well in advance. My bird's no interest in Hearts so i knew that she wanted to go so was a bit of a tough one.....

Only one choice though eh? Feck yer tickets, off to the pub to watch the game.

Arrived at the pub, barman duly put TV on the right channel only to be greeted with the "NO SIGNAL" message. Due to a storm apparently? "Should be alright in a minute".....

Half an hour later the TV flicks to life.....

Some pishy English league playoff that Setanta in the states have chosen over the Derby. Raging.

Should have went to Letterman.

For my first job I went along to Safeway when I was 16.

Spent three hours going through all the training and sat down for an interview. Passed the interview right there and then and was being told when they wanted me in for work.

Was told that one of my shifts as a junior part time member of staff would have to be an 8-hour shift on a Saturday...

... "See ya".

jambojackbilly
I love my club as much as the next man but I have not and would not sacrifice anything for them. They're not that important.

Contradiction in terms :43:

I'm giving up my Xmas night out this year with my work because we are playing the arabs! It's a free night too!

If I didn't go to the game I'd be a nightmare to be with. I'd be fretting and just not enjoying myself. I bet the game end's 0-0.

[/b]

My ex-wife said the immortal words ''You think more of Hearts than you do of me !'' obviously I replied '' I think more of Hibs than I do of you !'' needless to say our marriage didn't last much longer . :10900:

Haha Class! :2thumbsup:

There was a guy in the paper who was going to sell his house and give the money to Save Our Hearts. Im not sure if he did so Im not sure if it counts.

Left my car lights on during the Falkirk game and had to beg a push to jump start the motor. Didnt get home until 8 o'clock that night...all for a 0-0 game.

Archived