I used to hate Sting but now don't because....

Sterling Archer

Johanes de Silentio

Sting's a pretentious **** these days, but he's bang on here, imo!

The Police were fantastic, incidentally!

Is he doing anything himself about unearthing new talent? The X-Factor has put music back decades? Why on earth should we bother paying any attention to an old pop singer? The X-Factor is Saturday night entertainment for the masses. That's the masses who no longer buy this pompous windbag's records. And yes, I did once or twice.

A Boy Named Crow
Is he doing anything himself about unearthing new talent? The X-Factor has put music back decades? Why on earth should we bother paying any attention to an old pop singer? The X-Factor is Saturday night entertainment for the masses. That's the masses who no longer buy this pompous windbag's records. And yes, I did once or twice.

I reckon it has in a way. Before rock and roll you had acts up on stage dressed in suits and coached by management on how to perform. It was all stage managed and safe. That's exactly what these TV shows give you, it's a shiny new version of the 1950's and it's sickening.

Quite hard these days to break into the whole music pop scene, x factor is a joke though,

wonder if Sting would get recognised if he was starting out now?

Miller Jambo 60

Entertainment my aerse. Kak glorious Kak.

in the grand scheme of things this is just a minor blip in a career of being a total knob. only his committing hari-kari could make change my impression of sting.

He may as well have come out and said that "bears do jobbies in the woods" or that "the pope is catholic". EVeryone knows X-Factor is just a Butlins style Karaoke contest, set up to make Mr Cowell millllllions of quid from having a guarantedd Xmas #1 every year.

Total non-story.

Sting is a w*nk as well.

Johanes de Silentio

The X-Factor has put music back decades - maybe you're too young to remember New Faces/Opportunity Knocks, etc?

Why should we listen to Sting? No reason - but we certainly shouldn't be listening to ***** like Cowell, whae ken ****all!

While Sting is undoubtedly a pretentious ****, he's also undeniably an immensely talented musician.

The X-Factor has put music back decades - maybe you're too young to remember New Faces/Opportunity Knocks, etc?

Sadly I'm old enough to remember these shows.

Comparing New Faces/Opportunity Knocks is only accurate in the respect they've all churned out a massive dung pile of forgotten "talent".

The difference is that NF/OK didn't focus on karaoke and both produced some pretty talented acts.

Sting states: "I am sorry but none of those kids are going to go anywhere, and I say that sadly."

I think he's wrong. There are examples of success from X-Factor, Leonna Lewis and Will Young probably the biggest. JLS are doing OK.

I think Joe will do well, also I think Lucie will get a recording contract.

Sting states: "I am sorry but none of those kids are going to go anywhere, and I say that sadly."

I think he's wrong. There are examples of success from X-Factor, Leonna Lewis and Will Young probably the biggest. JLS are doing OK.

I think Joe will do well, also I think Lucie will get a recording contract.

Between pop idol and the x factor there have been literally hundreds of people who've been told by judges that they are stars and have futures in the industry and you can name a couple who have done well, and a couple who might, maybe in the future possibly do alright.

And where are steve brookstein, michelle mcmanus, leon whatshispuss and one true voice? And they were the winners! Even last years 'superstars in the making' are, for the most part, working at Butlins at best. It's fifteen minutes of fame with Louis Walsh telling them that they look great and then onto the scrap heap for 99% of them.

Between pop idol and the x factor there have been literally hundreds of people who've been told by judges that they are stars and have futures in the industry and you can name a couple who have done well, and a couple who might, maybe in the future possibly do alright.

And where are steve brookstein, michelle mcmanus, leon whatshispuss and one true voice? And they were the winners! Even last years 'superstars in the making' are, for the most part, working at Butlins at best. It's fifteen minutes of fame with Louis Walsh telling them that they look great and then onto the scrap heap for 99% of them.

All true - but Sting says "None"!

Two winners are international superstars.

Brookstien signs at launch openings, Mcmanus does a TV show, Leon - no idea what happened t him. This girls iin Hearsay have all done well for themslevs. Girls Aloud have not done too badly. The Opera Group did ok before they split up. There are numerous success stories.

All true - but Sting says "None"!

Two winners are international superstars.

Brookstien signs at launch openings, Mcmanus does a TV show, Leon - no idea what happened t him. This girls iin Hearsay have all done well for themslevs. Girls Aloud have not done too badly. The Opera Group did ok before they split up. There are numerous success stories.

I take great pride in saying that sting is prone to talking ****. Once again, the majority of the winners have very little to show for it, never mind the other 99 out of a 100.

And for the record, none of the winners are international superstars; unless by international superstar you mean big in britain and ireland. Leona is doing well, but nowhere near a superstar and i can't imagine who the other person your thinking is.

I take great pride in saying that sting is prone to talking ****. Once again, the majority of the winners have very little to show for it, never mind the other 99 out of a 100.

And for the record, none of the winners are international superstars; unless by international superstar you mean big in britain and ireland. Leona is doing well, but nowhere near a superstar and i can't imagine who the other person your thinking is.

Has Leona not had a no.1 album in the US?

Will Young!

Oh and Shane Ward, not massive here but very big in Asia is he not.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of winners have done reasonably well, and have achieved more than they would have without the competition.

Has Leona not had a no.1 album in the US?

Will Young!

Oh and Shane Ward, not massive here but very big in Asia is he not.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of winners have done reasonably well, and have achieved more than they would have without the competition.

She's not an international superstar though.

And obviously they've done reasonably well, but if you watch the show you'll see that every participant in the knockout stages is presented as the next big thing, and the truth is that even the winners have achieved very little in anything other than the short term. And next to nothing of artistic merit.

The People's Chimp

At the end of the day, sting will still be an utter ******* and x factor will still be a pox on this nation.

Placid Casual
sting was awful on jools holland recently.

first single (on 7") i ever bought was by the police!!!!

i was about 10!

That's no excuse!

She's not an international superstar though.

And obviously they've done reasonably well, but if you watch the show you'll see that every participant in the knockout stages is presented as the next big thing, and the truth is that even the winners have achieved very little in anything other than the short term. And next to nothing of artistic merit.

Will Young ! Girls Aloud !

Very likely that Leona will last.

I don't agree that every participant is presented as the next big thing.

Some people throughout X-factor (and its predecessors) have done well. There is alos the lady that is now big in the musical scene, can't recall her name. It's a simple fact that a lot of the contestants taht reach the final stages improve their careers, as a direct result. Some to a greater extent than others. And the show is entertaining, people should enjoy it for what it is.

There is alos the lady that is now big in the musical scene, can't recall her name.

i'd continue arguing my point, but with that sentence you've done more to hurt your cause than anything i ever could.

i'd continue arguing my point, but with that sentence you've done more to hurt your cause than anything i ever could.

LOL what a cop out!

I think your point was "the majority of the winners have very little to show for it"

I think the majority of the winners have more to show for it than they had before they did it, and all have more in the bank than they had before they did it. Some have achieved exceptionally well and are big stars. The ones who have been least successful are probably Leon and Steve B, both of whom probably have six figure sums in their bank accounts. I wouldn't mind that "very little". Can only imagine you are a millionaire?

Brenda Edwards was voted into fourth place in X Factor 2005. She?s since found success on stage with roles in Chicago, Carmen Jones and We Will Rock You.

She has more than a little to show for being on X-Factor, and she didn't even win it.Brenda Edwards click here

first off; who? hardly another international superstar.

secondly, the other 99% of contestants?

first off who said Brenda Edwards was an international superstar - nobody.

secondly what have 99% of the other contestants got to do with your statement:

"the majority of the winners have very little to show for it"

The reality is that the majority of winners have more than "very little to show for it". I doubt any winner is any worse off than they were before winning.

Johanes de Silentio
Will Young ! Girls Aloud !

Very likely that Leona will last.

I don't agree that every participant is presented as the next big thing.

Some people throughout X-factor (and its predecessors) have done well. There is alos the lady that is now big in the musical scene, can't recall her name. It's a simple fact that a lot of the contestants taht reach the final stages improve their careers, as a direct result. Some to a greater extent than others. And the show is entertaining, people should enjoy it for what it is.

Mate, your defence of X-Factor would be understandable if you were a bird - are you a bird? Serious question?

Mate, your defence of X-Factor would be understandable if you were a bird - are you a bird? Serious question?

LOL, is that not a sexist question, this is the 21st Century.

I find the show entertaining, and some of the contestants to be pretty good. It's good to see people get an opportunity in life, and this offers that.

You might also like to know that I like Coronation Street too.

A serious question for you - what makes it "Understandable if I were a bird"?

Just noticed your name - u must e a Corrie fan too ?

LOL, is that not a sexist question, this is the 21st Century.

I find the show entertaining, and some of the contestants to be pretty good. It's good to see people get an opportunity in life, and this offers that.

You might also like to know that I like Coronation Street too.

A serious question for you - what makes it "Understandable if I were a bird"?

Just noticed your name - u must e a Corrie fan too ?

Uncle Albert is from Only Fools and Horses

Daydream Believer

I can't really understand all this hatred of the x-factor.

A - ***** music has always been around and always will be. The x-factor wasn't around when Bros and Milli Vanilli were toping the charts so I doubt it's really to blame for people making money out of rubbish music.

B - Whats with all the Muso police? I bet you don't all read Kafka and eat caviar and truffles. Sometimes you probably get a kebab and pick up a stephen king book.

I'm quite happy to watch crappy TV once in a while, it's fun.

Uncle Albert is from Only Fools and Horses

Oh no , THE Uncle Albert is Ken Barlow's uncle in Coronation Street, always used to wear an old flat cap.

first off who said Brenda Edwards was an international superstar - nobody.

secondly what have 99% of the other contestants got to do with your statement:

"the majority of the winners have very little to show for it"

The reality is that the majority of winners have more than "very little to show for it". I doubt any winner is any worse off than they were before winning.

financially most of them will have done well. as artists most of them are little more than punchlines. steve brookstein, one true voice, leon jackson, shane ward, 2\3's of hearsay, and the others who i cant even remember are all bumming around butlins and doing panto. this is because they made it as faces off the telly rather than as legitimate artists. had they served their time rather than taking an easier option they, assuming they have talent, couldve built long term careers based on music they wanted to make rather than cashing in short term.

financially most of them will have done well. Yes they have as artists most of them are little more than punchlines Debatable. steve brookstein, one true voice, leon jackson, shane ward (Shane is actually bumming around the middle east making rather a lot of money), 2\3's of hearsay, and the others who i cant even remember are all bumming around butlins and doing panto. this is because they made it as faces off the telly rather than as legitimate artists (Same difference really, peopel get breaks for different reasons, all are legit). had they served their time rather than taking an easier option they, assuming they have talent, couldve built long term careers based on music they wanted to make rather than cashing in short term. (A lot of very good singers, like very good football players never get the break, u got to take the cahnce while you can)

I think we are coming to the same place, the majority of X-factor, pop idol winners have done ok out of it. Even Leon Jackson ended up with a six figure bank account.

you seem to confuse money with success.

Money is one measure of success. Hapiness another, medals, awards, recognition, fame, credibility etc. There are lots of ways to measure success, sometimes some people take some parts and consider them as failure. For sure money is a measurement of success, and most of us would be quite happy to have that sort of success.

How do you measure success.

I suppose you could look at Bobby Charlton as a player and compare him to Drogba, for example. Financially there is no doubt who is the more successful. As a football player most would consider Charlton as more successful.

At the end of the day, sting will still be an utter ******* and x factor will still be a pox on this nation.

Hits the nail right on the head, sadly.

How do you measure success.

I measure the success of an artist by their artistic output. The X Factor has denied most of its winners the credibility to produce music as they are pigeonholed.

I measure the success of an artist by their artistic output. The X Factor has denied most of its winners the credibility to produce music as they are pigeonholed.

Not sure how you measure artistic output, apart I think it's good and you think it's bad, so that's 1-1 on artistic output. A bit like the X-factor:th_o:

this is because they made it as faces off the telly rather than as legitimate artists. had they served their time rather than taking an easier option they, assuming they have talent, couldve built long term careers based on music they wanted to make rather than cashing in short term.

300,000 rattled down to 12. There are some decent singers there. Jamie Archer doin the 'pubs and clubs' but still not making it. Stacey Solomon, a blonde bimbo who talks like a dingle, she has got a talented singing voice. Away from this program, no danger would she get a sniff.

Take away reality TV programs, where will the next generation of pop stars come from? Sting did say himself that all these clubs etc are closing down!

Sting is indeed a complete ******.

here is his latest song:-

http://www2.b3ta.com/sting/

enjoy.

are you saying that without x factor there will be no pop music? if so good. But obviously thats not the case. music companies have lots of people to find them sellable acts - just look at the number of amy winehouse-esque singers that have come through in the past 18months. added to that the internet provides a directink between artist and fan and artist and label. furthermore, sting is a knob jockey.

are you saying that without x factor there will be no pop music? if so good. But obviously thats not the case. music companies have lots of people to find them sellable acts - just look at the number of amy winehouse-esque singers that have come through in the past 18months. added to that the internet provides a directink between artist and fan and artist and label. furthermore, sting is a knob jockey.

Not at all, although it does help IMO. I must be gettin old, but music nowadays is 80-90% ****e. 1 man and his mixing machine. I've turned to TalkSport. Yep, gettin old.

thehibsareintheirbeds

I'm with the tantric gimp on this one. Down with simon and the x factor- lets focus on the real bands and talents around from yer n-dubz to the mighty chipmunk and cascada. These guys have put in the graft and are now reaping the rewards. A victory for real music.

Archived