Good riddance Firefox

wibble

Finally ditched Firefox and not a minute too soon.

Kept crapping out on me, running really slow, menus not appearing.

Have moved to Google Chrome and it is twice as quick.

Firefox was great when it first came out. Hopeless now.

Someone else was ditching Firefox recently - how did it go?

Im not a fan on firefox either, there is something about it I dont like/trust.

I got it about this time last year, had it for about a day, my anti virus started saying it doesnt like it, and then I got rid of it.

jambos are go!

Have firefox as a back up but dont buy into the view that it is anything special unless you are a Microsoft hater or or maybe a serious nerd. I'm neither.

Private Hudson
Finally ditched Firefox and not a minute too soon.

Kept crapping out on me, running really slow, menus not appearing.

Have moved to Google Chrome and it is twice as quick.

Firefox was great when it first came out. Hopeless now.

Someone else was ditching Firefox recently - how did it go?

Been doing the same to me recently. Got so bad I went back to IE. Is Google Chrome the baws then?

Been doing the same to me recently. Got so bad I went back to IE. Is Google Chrome the baws then?

Chrome is miles better than FF so far. Really quick.

I just downloaded Chrome just now after seeing this thread.It is fast as **** compared to Firefox(or should that be firefox not responding)

Wait until you see what the web looks like without AdBlock tho.

Chrome has a built-in popup blocker.

If you get a ton of popups maybe you need to run Malwarebytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org ) as a lot of popups are generated by malware that you don't even know is on your machine.

I've never really had many popup problems.

Private Hudson
Wait until you see what the web looks like without AdBlock tho.

Does Chrome not work with Ad blockers? Scratch that, Melbourne just answered me before I asked!

Sexton Hardcastle

theres some good add ons for FF which stop all the crap on pages loading up.

Such as all the adverts on kickabck. il try find out what its called.

Does Chrome have a spellchecker built in, if not I'll stay with FF, and until my brother in law advises me otherwise.

Chrome has a built-in popup blocker.

If you get a ton of popups maybe you need to run Malwarebytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org ) as a lot of popups are generated by malware that you don't even know is on your machine.

I've never really had many popup problems.

I'm talking about ads, not popups. Banner ads, floating ads etc etc

Popups are so 90s :)

BoJack Horseman

This is the only reason I haven't moved to chrome yet. I need adblock plus.

theres some good add ons for FF which stop all the crap on pages loading up.

Such as all the adverts on kickabck. il try find out what its called.

That's the AdBlock mentioned above.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

To be honest, anyone using FF should try using it with AdBlock installed before moving to another browser.

To be honest, anyone using FF should try using it with AdBlock installed before moving to another browser.

I always kept addons to a minimum tbh because i didnt want to slow it down any further.

My problems with it have been since I moved to Vista.

It regularly stops responding and it gets jerky when scrolling up and down a page. It also guzzles memory and it's memory use grows massively over time.

I just got sick of pulling up task manager to kill it off.

Make sure you've got the latest version, one of the updates in the summer killed the startup time. Subsequent release fixed it.

Having said all this, as soon as Chrome has extensions FireFox will be gone from my system.

Make sure you've got the latest version, one of the updates in the summer killed the startup time. Subsequent release fixed it.

Having said all this, as soon as Chrome has extensions FireFox will be gone from my system.

I completely uninstalled it and re-installed from a fresh download. No kidding - it got worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft engineered Vista so that FF had all sorts of problems.

I am blown away by how quick chrome is compared with FF.

Professor.Arturo

I dumped Firefox after getting a new laptop, it has Vista and FF just kept crashing (not responding), it was even worse when you have more than one window open.

Been back with Explorer for three months now with no problems.

Say What Again

Are the folk having problems with FF using Vista?

I've used FF (with umpteen add-ons) for years both at work and at home and never had any issues with XP.

Used Chrome now and again too and it is pretty quick.

I use FireFox at work and at home (on XP) and it's been seriously crap for a few months. I'm quite tempted to move on to Chrome.

Being a mac user I'm pretty much limited to FF, Camino or Safari.

Got to admit that I have never had a problem with FF. On the PC I don't mind IE either, I just prefer firefox.

Tried Chrome on the PC but noticed a few problems when trying to download things, although admittedly that was about 6 months ago so it's probably better now.

Each to their own I suppose.

http://adsweep.org/

Chrome rules! I still have Firefox installed for the odd occasion (I used to be a firefox flag-waver) where a site doesn't like Chrome, and I am constantly astounded at the AWFUL, laggy startup time it has...

Rab, you have my eternal thanks for that link. Have been plagued with pop-ups this last week and as soon as I installed AdBlock, they've gone away.

Thank you

Rab, you have my eternal thanks for that link. Have been plagued with pop-ups this last week and as soon as I installed AdBlock, they've gone away.

Thank you

Sweet! :)

Commander Harris

I'd recommend opera. very good browser as well as integrated email, rss, icq and bit torrent client (If you don't want to use these features that's fine, they are loaded as needed). several innovations such as tabbed browsing and mouse gestures originated in opera. has a content blocker too for folk wanting to avoid ads.

i'm using firefox on windows 7 with no problems at all.

people talk about chrome being faster, i have an addon that loads the next page of a thread so all i do is keep scrolling down.

interesting thread

i've used FF for a while now without any problems at all. last year i got a new pc which has vista (pishta) and its always freezing (not responding) on me too.

my brother did send me a fix for it, and while it is a little better, its not better by much

probably is a microsoft thing killing it off lol, wouldn't put it past that shower

Are the folk having problems with FF using Vista?

I've used FF (with umpteen add-ons) for years both at work and at home and never had any issues with XP.

Used Chrome now and again too and it is pretty quick.

I think Vista is the common denominator. Microsoft conspiracy IMO.

I've been using Firefox since its Beta run and have been a huge fan. Have just downloaded Chrome and am impressed so far. Will use if for a week and decide if I like it or not.

On FF you could try going into - tools/options/advanced/update

There are a few checkboxes that are checked by default and I think these may slow it down during initial launch - uncheck and see if it's any better ?

Sheriff Fatman
several innovations such as tabbed browsing and mouse gestures originated in opera.

Tabbed browsers were around 3 years before Opera started using them in 2000 and mouse gestures have been around since the Apple Macintosh and Lisa computers 21 years before Opera started using them, though to be fair Opera was ahead of Firefox and IE.

Commander Harris
Tabbed browsers were around 3 years before Opera started using them in 2000 and mouse gestures have been around since the Apple Macintosh and Lisa computers 21 years before Opera started using them, though to be fair Opera was ahead of Firefox and IE.

Wikipedia is your friend I see ;)

It is fair to say I overstated the case there, "popularised by Opera" would have been a better phrase to use there.

Although Opera was certainly one of the first standalone browser to feature tabbed browsers there was a shell for Internet Explorer which used them as early as 97.

as for mouse gestures; I again take your point but in a browsing context, and to the extent where they are used for navigation etc as opposed to simply dragging and dropping of files, Opera was indeed the leader.

Sheriff Fatman
Wikipedia is your friend I see ;)

It is fair to say I overstated the case there, "popularised by Opera" would have been a better phrase to use there.

Although Opera was certainly one of the first standalone browser to feature tabbed browsers there was a shell for Internet Explorer which used them as early as 97.

as for mouse gestures; I again take your point but in a browsing context, and to the extent where they are used for navigation etc as opposed to simply dragging and dropping of files, Opera was indeed the leader.

Not really, I was using tabbed browsing on Netscape in the late '90s, so I knew fine well that Opera wasn't the first, and mouse gestures have been around for donkeys years, it's just that Opera did more with it than most.

'Popularised' probably isn't the right word either, as Opera has never really been one of the top used browsers, for some reason I never can quite get.

The Marooney Meister

Just switched over from IE8 to Chrome after reading this thread and it seems much faster! I remember when it first arrived I tried it but thought it was painfully slow - not now!

Tried FF too but thought it was pretty similar in speed to IE8.

This is all on xp.

Very impressed with Google Chrome, having been a FireFox user for the last couple of years.

Any chance someone could create a Hearts theme for Chrome?

I have just tried it again. First time was in September and I wasn't very impressed with it at the time and am still not impressed with it.

I will stick with FF just now. But as Rab said earlier if they get decent add ons I may try once more.

gave chrome a test run, was impressed with its speed compared to firefox but a few missing features really annoyed me (the main thing being no drop down address bar) so will stick with firefox just now, although might give opera a bash as firefox has been doing my nut in recently with its slow speed.

gave chrome a test run, was impressed with its speed compared to firefox but a few missing features really annoyed me (the main thing being no drop down address bar) so will stick with firefox just now, although might give opera a bash as firefox has been doing my nut in recently with its slow speed.

Only thing I like that it seems to lack is the "print..preview" option.

• 1 month later...
I've been using Firefox since its Beta run and have been a huge fan. Have just downloaded Chrome and am impressed so far. Will use if for a week and decide if I like it or not.

Well that was a long week.

I might no go back to FF.. I am loving Chrome... Needs a few add ons though.. Like stop autoplay for You Tube etc.. but they are coming.

Happy with it,

Much faster... IE is now my 3rd choice browser!

FF is just a stripped-down version of IE that was first created by a university student as part of his disertation.

Always been a bit buggy and slow.

FF is just a stripped-down version of IE that was first created by a university student as part of his disertation.

Always been a bit buggy and slow.

:10900: I've heard it all now. What a complete crock of merde. Try reading up on the history of Firefox, Netscape and Mosaic.

On the one hand we have Google, a company that is committed to knowing as much about you as possible in order that it can make as much money out of you as it can through targeted advertising. On the other we have the Mozilla Foundation that aims to promote choice and innovation on the internet and, through its widespread user community, has striven to provide us with an open-source free alternative to IE and has, over the years, built up an extensive and rich array of add-ons and innovative developments.

OK, so FF isn't as fast as the new pretender, but I know which one I'm sticking with...

Chrome doesn't have addons which is a bummer, but they will come. The only big problem I have with chrome is printing. No print preview, which makes it impossible to print anything off a webpage or even a JPG at the size you want it.

I currently keep jumping across to FF to print.

Have been using FF on my new Windows 7 machine and it seems much better. I think the problems with FF are a Vista thing.

Archived