What Formation on Saturday ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Disregarding the personnel available to Csaba come Saturday morning , what formation would you adopt to play against the opposition who have more out-and out strikers than us . Will they change their system or will they play to their strengths and keep the same team that have got them to second spot

4-2-3-1 , 4-1-4-1 , 4-4-2 , 3-4-3 , 3-5-2 , 3-1-3-3 , 4-1-3-2 , 1-5-4 , 5-4-1

We need to stay with the 4-5-1 for this game. We have the players to out work them in the midfield. Miller and McBride will work hard but Riordan and Zemamma will not give as much especially tracking back.

If we win the midfield battle we have every chance of winning this game. Whoever plays up front for us needs to be sharp and put away our chances as I think it will be a game of few chances.

I'm no psychic but I reckon Csaba Frail will deploy

4 - 4 -1 - 1

Hibs know it, i know it , Csaba knows it we all know it

We are a an opposition managers wet dream

Right now hibs will be setting themselves up to play against that and right now we will be........... well feckin clueless tbh

4-2-3-1

Balogh

Thomson Bouzid Jose Trigger

Ruben Stewart

Suso Kingston Driver

Glen

Suso is injured? And Larry hahaha

(also Obua is the first name on the team sheet)

penicuik jambo

It will be the same old urine,

Balogh

Thompson Bouzid Jose Wallace

Obua Stewart Black Pazueloz Driver

Glen/Wittiveen

But you never know he might go

Mcdonald

Same back 4

Noviakovias(sp) Stewart Ruben Driver

Glen Wittivenn

Good old 4 4 2 putting pressure on a honking hibs defence.

Captain Canada

One of the many signs of a good manager is to be able to hold his hands up and admit he got it wrong. Our current formation hasn't worked well at all and if he plays it on Saturday again which I'm guessing he will, then it's time to think about his position as manager.

We have players available to play in all sorts of formations but when your strikers are not the best, why persist with just one up front? We need at least 2 up front on Saturday to get some possession in their half - all too often our lone striker loses the ball and puts too much pressure on our midfield and defence.

Also, Saturday is not a game for Obua, but of course he will play!

peebles jambo

the first and worst name on the team sheet will be feckin obua, after that, who cares, unless we win the mid-field battle we'll get humped, i've never felt so down going into a derby.

if we get humped, csabas time just may be up

the first and worst name on the team sheet will be feckin obua, after that, who cares, unless we win the mid-field battle we'll get humped, i've never felt so down going into a derby.

if we get humped, csabas time just may be up

May? Even a win over Hibs will not disguise the fact that his team is honking - my prediction is a close encounter with Hibs scoring the only goal and more CL drivel about inexperience / no strikers / blah blah.

Hope to be proved wrong but just can't see us scoring against anyone at the moment.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

4-4-2

Balogh

Wallace

Goncalves

Bouzid

Thomson

Driver

Stewart

Black

Kingston

Glen

Elliot

Attack them! Get Stewart in a less crowded midfield and tell him spray the passes around. Black to help and to try and get as much service to the front two as he can, tell him to show us that he can play like he did against Celtic consistantly.

Nade and Suso to come on later on when legs are tired and if we have no injuries or sending offs or need to replace knackered players further back, then Novikovas or Templeton aswell.

Run the legs of them and no sitting back on a goal start or trying to treat it like any ordinary game.

If Black or Stewart tires or falls out of the game then bring on Palazuelos. Likewise have Kucharski on the bench in case a defender gets knackered.

If Larry and Driver play well then we will have a grip on things in the wide areas with Thomson and Wallace providing support and keeping Zemmama and Rat-boy quiet.

This team sheet allows for rejigging with Larry able to fill in in other areas if needed or a change of shape is required.

If it is a tight game in the last 20 minutes then i don't think I would be a happy Hobo to see Suso, Temps, Novikovas or even Nade standing on the sidelines stripped and ready to go... Especially after a gruelling derby.

I think two strikers are essential on Saturday but do not expect to see it.

has to be 4-4-2 to show that we mean business glen and er...nade up front. nade should stop running about and save his energy keeping himself in a position to take the feeds from the runners ie driver obua midfield etc. i think he knackers himself out sometimes running all over the place and should just be the big guy holding up the ball (a la de vries) or hopefully taken the chances when the arrive. we have a team for 4-4-2 imho so let's go for it and stop all this defensive crap. no more sitting 20yard in our own half like we did against celtic in the cup, that was scary even though we were a goal in front.

Footballfirst

No real clues as to the final line-up from training this morning as Csaba, for a change, split the favoured keepers, defence, midfield and forward units in opposing teams. He did however keep the units along normal lines. Interestingly, Kello and Mcdonald were the keepers with Balogh and Ridgers training separately. He also played Nade and Witteveen in the same team.

My best guess from today would be:

Kello

C Thomson Bouzid Goncalves Wallace

Obua Stewart Palazuelos Driver

Nade

Witteveen

The line-up will probably evolve as the week progresses, but that was my view from what I saw this morning.

Charlie-Brown
The Balogh

Thomson

Bouzid

Goncalves

Wallace

Black

Stewart

Ruben

Driver

Glen

Nade

Csaba has already said Obua, Nade & Stewart will be playing so for my money that suggests the ONLY change from last saturday will be Mikey Stewart back in for the suspended Eggert Jonsson giving us an all too familiar look of

Balogh

Thomson

Wallace

Bouzid

Goncalves

Obua

Stewart

Black

Palazeulos

Driver

Nade

Fingers crossed that team will be good enough to take something and that their form & application levels are 100% better than recent SPL matches.

No real clues as to the final line-up from training this morning as Csaba, for a change, split the favoured keepers, defence, midfield and forward units in opposing teams. He did however keep the units along normal lines. Interestingly, Kello and Mcdonald were the keepers with Balogh and Ridgers training separately. He also played Nade and Witteveen in the same team.

My best guess from today would be:

Kello

Obua Stewart Palazuelos Driver

Nade

Witteveen

The line-up will probably evolve as the week progresses, but that was my view from what I saw this morning.

Like many others I value the information you give us especially about our up and coming talent.

I wonder however if giving the likely team for our next match is more help to the opposition or our supporters.

Footballfirst
Like many others I value the information you give us especially about our up and coming talent.

I wonder however if giving the likely team for our next match is more help to the opposition or our supporters.

I have thought about that before, but have come to the conclusion, that my "predictions" aren't always accurate, nor are they picked up by news media or other teams. e.g. I first mentioned that Bouzid could be playing up front earlier this season, which was discussed at length on the forum, yet was still only revealed on the Saturday afternoon as a "Chick Dung exclusive".

If I find that my comments on team selection are being picked up and reported on, then I will stop doing it.

I have thought about that before, but have come to the conclusion, that my "predictions" aren't always accurate, nor are they picked up by news media or other teams. e.g. I first mentioned that Bouzid could be playing up front earlier this season, which was discussed at length on the forum, yet was still only revealed on the Saturday afternoon as a "Chick Dung exclusive".

If I find that my comments on team selection are being picked up and reported on, then I will stop doing it.

Loose lips sink chips, as the saying goes

Na, keep the info coming FF. I'm sure the oppo manager has better spying techniques than spying on JKB. Well, you'd hope so.

If not... Yogi, how did you manage to logon to a PC with your spazpaws? away and practice yer times tables

4-3-3.

And I DO mean a proper 4-3-3, not a 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1.

Balogh

Black Palazuelos Stewart

Novikovas Driver

Glen

Its whether the players turn up rather than any particular formation that will decide how the game goes. Our best performances of the season have been the first hour v Celtic (twice), the first hour v Rangers and the majority of the game v Zagreb. Play at the tempo we did for large parts of those games, squeezing the vermin high up the park where they are still liable to make mistakes, keeping concentration better than we have in many other games and generally putting oursleves about will see us with a chance to win the game. Sit off them and let them come at us and we will be in big trouble.

Despite my views on him and the fact I would get rid of him asap Nade must start this game. There is nobody else capable of playing the role we need him to do on Saturday. Starting Glen is fanciful.

Charlie-Brown
Its whether the players turn up rather than any particular formation that will decide how the game goes. Our best performances of the season have been the first hour v Celtic (twice), the first hour v Rangers and the majority of the game v Zagreb. Play at the tempo we did for large parts of those games, squeezing the vermin high up the park where they are still liable to make mistakes, keeping concentration better than we have in many other games and generally putting oursleves about will see us with a chance to win the game. Sit off them and let them come at us and we will be in big trouble.

Despite my views on him and the fact I would get rid of him asap Nade must start this game. There is nobody else capable of playing the role we need him to do on Saturday. Starting Glen is fanciful.

Of course it is - David Obua needs the experienced players around him. :stuart:

As long as we don't have this bizzare three wingers with one striker rotating position every five minutes nonsense going on.

I'd play the same formation we did against the mhanks.

Of course it is - David Obua needs the experienced players around him. :stuart:

Personally I'd start Obua over Glen on Saturday although ideally neither would even be on the bench.

Frankenstein Jambo.

4-4-2.

Ridgers (Need him in, will be the next Gordon IMO)

C.Thomson..Zali..Bouzid..Trigger

Larry..Ruben..M.Stewart..Driver

Glen..Elliot (fit?)

Subs: Balogh, J.Stewart, Obua, Suso(fit) black, Kuncharsk, Nade.

Sexton Hardcastle

Kingston is injured for the game this weekend.

Black MS Ruben in midfield i would imagine.

4-5-1

Balogh

Obua Stewart Palazuelos Black Driver

Nade

Be surprised if the personnel is much different from that. Its the obvious side and the one which played well for over 70mins at Parkhead.

Subs :

Kello, Kucharski, J Thomson, Novikovas, Glen, Wittenveen +1 more youngster

If we had a fit and interested Kingston for Obua, a fit Zaliukas for Bouzid and the striker signing we should have had that team would be a hell of a lot better.

Personally I'd start Obua over Glen on Saturday although ideally neither would even be on the bench.

Seriously?

Would have it the other way around myself mate! but hey ho

Charlie-Brown
Balogh

Obua Stewart Palazuelos Black Driver

Nade

Be surprised if the personnel is much different from that. Its the obvious side and the one which played well for over 70mins at Parkhead.

Subs :

Kello, Kucharski, J Thomson, Novikovas, Glen, Wittenveen +1 more youngster

Everybody would be very surprised if the team selection was any different from that given those are the players who always play the most anyway - regardless if they play well for 70 mins at Parkhead or awful for 93 mins v Falkirk and even worse for 97 mins v Motherwell .... tactics won't change either ...... lets hope the application, performance & results are vastly improved over recent SPL matches.

I think a 4-5-1 actually suits us for this game to be honest. Hibs will play with two wide players high up the park, so having an extra man in the middle will help us dominate their no particularly brilliant midfield. going man for man in there means they have more opportunity to feed tehir attacking players and let's be be blunt, what they have available is better than what we have. Black, Stewart and Palazuelos against McBride and Miller is a match up I like, and one I think we need to dominate to win the game.

It is also absolutely fundamantal to start Driver on the left, and keep him there. they are playing with Wotherspoon and Zemmama down the right, and Wallace and Driver need to get as much of the ball as possible and get at them down that side. Wotherspoon is never a full-back, and if Zemmamma crosses the half way line to track back I will be amazed. The extra man in midfield allows us to get Rueben tucked in to guard against the counter attack. Bouzid on Benjelloun, Goncalves to cover Stokes. Whoever plays right wing (almost certainly Obua needs to be vigilant in keepin Riordan watched, as Thomson will have his hands full with him.

Keeping them on the backfoot is what this game is all about and I think we can do that. up front is where we're going to struggle again, but this game can be won in the middle of the park.

Everybody would be very surprised if the team selection was any different from that given those are the players who always play the most anyway - regardless if they play well for 70 mins at Parkhead or awful for 93 mins v Falkirk and even worse for 97 mins v Motherwell .... tactics won't change either ...... lets hope the application, performance & results are vastly improved over recent SPL matches.

Can I ask what your starting 11 and formation would be for Saturdays derby game please ?

I think a 4-5-1 actually suits us for this game to be honest. Hibs will play with two wide players high up the park, so having an extra man in the middle will help us dominate their no particularly brilliant midfield. going man for man in there means they have more opportunity to feed tehir attacking players and let's be be blunt, what they have available is better than what we have. Black, Stewart and Palazuelos against McBride and Miller is a match up I like, and one I think we need to dominate to win the game.

It is also absolutely fundamantal to start Driver on the left, and keep him there. they are playing with Wotherspoon and Zemmama down the right, and Wallace and Driver need to get as much of the ball as possible and get at them down that side. Wotherspoon is never a full-back, and if Zemmamma crosses the half way line to track back I will be amazed. The extra man in midfield allows us to get Rueben tucked in to guard against the counter attack. Bouzid on Benjelloun, Goncalves to cover Stokes. Whoever plays right wing (almost certainly Obua needs to be vigilant in keepin Riordan watched, as Thomson will have his hands full with him.

Keeping them on the backfoot is what this game is all about and I think we can do that. up front is where we're going to struggle again, but this game can be won in the middle of the park.

Good post. We need to press them high up the park and play at a temp like we did in the first half against Rangers and for much of the Zagreb game. Tynecastle is an altogther different animal when Hearts play in this way. I think this will come down to which team makes the least mistakes at the back so lets get at them high up the field.

Charlie-Brown
Can I ask what your starting 11 and formation would be for Saturdays derby game please ?

Kello (if fit) if not then MacDonald

C.Thomson Bouzid Goncalves Wallace

M.Stewart Black Palazeulos

Novikovas Nade Driver

subs: MacDonald Kucharski Glen Witteveen J.Thomson J.Stewart/Mulrooney Robinson

No Balogh or Obua.

4-3-3.

And I DO mean a proper 4-3-3, not a 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1.

Balogh

Black Palazuelos Stewart

Novikovas Driver

Glen

So why have you put it down as a 4-3-2-1 then!!!

Kello (if fit) if not then MacDonald

C.Thomson Bouzid Goncalves Wallace

M.Stewart Black Palazeulos

Novikovas Nade Driver

subs: MacDonald Kucharski Glen Witteveen J.Thomson J.Stewart/Mulrooney Robinson

No Balogh or Obua.

Massively different then. Not.

Balogh and Kello are much of a muchness. MacDonald has little future at Hearts. Ridgers will overtake him in the pecking order soon.

Novikovas is becoming a regular sub and is getting more game time. Is he ready for a derby ? no, not in my opinion but he might be during this season.

The problem as you have just discovered is there are very few options to change things with Zaliukas, Kingston, Elliot and Jonsson out.

Charlie-Brown
Massively different then. Not.

Balogh and Kello are much of a muchness. MacDonald has little future at Hearts. Ridgers will overtake him in the pecking order soon.

Novikovas is becoming a regular sub and is getting more game time. Is he ready for a derby ? no, not in my opinion but he might be during this season.

The problem as you have just discovered is there are very few options to change things with Zaliukas, Kingston, Elliot and Jonsson out.

There are plenty options to change things just this isn't the game to do them - I would have Johnny Stewart or Mulrooney instead of Palazeulos forming a midfield trio with M.Stewart & Black in my 4-3-3 formation but giving them a debut v Hibs when the fans are unhappy with the team and manager would be unfair however i'd try them against St.Johnstone at home or whichever other bottom 6 teams we play soon.

I'd definitely play Novikovas & Driver pushed high up the field in a proper attacking trio either side of Nade although if Nade isn't performing then i'm not averse to Witteveen or Glen playing thru the middle.

I'd like to see Kucharski given a chance probably at Bouzid expense but again i wouldn't tinker too much in this game but definitely soon.

Kello and MacDonald would be my 2 keepers for the season and i'd stick with them unless they were playing really badly but i don't think they could be as weak or worse than Balogh has been in most games.

Balogh and Obua would be immediately dropped. I'd look to replace Bouzid, Palazeulos and Nade as soon as we can also - Bouzid & Palazeulos on the bench as cover when needed.

Players I'd look to introduce & use more would be Black, Jonsson (when available), Kucharski, J.Stewart, Mulrooney, Robinson (these 3 would get some chances beside M.Stewart / Jonsson / Black in midfield) - Novikovas, Glen, G.Smith (from the bench)

Once fit I'd also include Zaliukas, Templeton & Elliot in the matchday squads.

Where to start with Csabas formation. Bottom line for me is this, that while it is not working, at every level of decent football now, every good team employs a variation of the 4-5-1. Therefore either we do not have the correct personnel or Csabas version does not work. I think both of these explanations are true.

One up front is not the problem. The problem is that no one stays up the park close enough to the striker. For me If you are playing with two defensive midfielders who sit in front of the back four then, Driver has to be allowed to stay furher up the park, leaving the CMs to cover, just like Brellier did for Skacel. Secondly, the player playing off the front man can not end up sucked back on top of the two holding CMs, he has to drop off when we don't have the ball but must be close enough to support the striker or even go beyond the Striker immediaty when we retain possession.

At the moment Driver comes to deep to defend an the player in the hole does not support the striker. Csabas variation of the 4-5-1 is too defensive and we have no creative, forward thinking midfielders with an w

eye for goal.

What really hacks me off this season though is that despite pAcking the midfield, how are we not able to command more possession and control games more? I mean against Well no player barely ventured past the half wU line and yet Well completely dominated the game. This is the worst of both worlds.

Csaba can not sign new players and it is hard to make sweeping changes to the personnel, although the likes of Obua should not be in the team, but what Csaba can do is alter the formation.

So why have you put it down as a 4-3-2-1 then!!!

Coz a 4-3-3 isn't 3 strikers. It's 1 striker and 2 wingers right next to him:10900:

2-3-5 and go for the throat.

John

You know I do not think that wiuld be a bad thing, with two of the 'strikers' being wingers, switching from attack toe defence when required, and one, say a central midfielder, so we can switch from 2-3-5, to 4-4-2 as and when required.

Footballfirst

I think Csaba has lost it big time now. More mixed messages from training this morning, some positive and some just plain daft.

There may be a mix of potential starters and positions for Saturday in the "teams" playing, but I'd rather Csaba had decided on his team and formation two days before the game.

The "1st team" lined up as follows:

Kello

J Thomson Bouzid Goncalves Wallace

C Thomson M Stewart Palazuelos Driver

Glen Novikovas

Balogh, Obua and Nade were relegated to the shadow team:2thumbsup:. There was no sign of Kingston or Witteveen.

Today was the first I've seen Csaba experimenting with Craig Thomson at right MF. Personally I think it is a bad move. If he wants Craig to play out that role, he should leave him out and allow him to learn it, rather than potentially thow him in at the deep end on Saturday.

I think that it is also disappointing to see him trying to play Novikovas centrally as a striker, rather than out wide.

All in all I now don't have a clue what Saturday's lineup will be.

I think Csaba has lost it big time now. More mixed messages from training this morning, some positive and some just plain daft.

There may be a mix of potential starters and positions for Saturday in the "teams" playing, but I'd rather Csaba had decided on his team and formation two days before the game.

Kello

Glen Novikovas

Balogh, Obua and Nade were relegated to the shadow team:2thumbsup:. There was no sign of Kingston or Witteveen.

Today was the first I've seen Csaba experimenting with Craig Thomson at right MF. Personally I think it is a bad move. If he wants Craig to play out that role, he should leave him out and allow him to learn it, rather than potentially thow him in at the deep end on Saturday.

I think that it is also disappointing to see him trying to play Novikovas centrally as a striker, rather than out wide.

But that's your job! No bonuses for you FF!

I don't mind if he goes with Novi up front. I can understand him wanting to keep Driver out wide to go at their young fullback. What I'd say though, is that if he plays Novi upfront, it'd be better if he were alongside Nade than Glen. But maybe not. Maybe we're gonna football the crap outa them

Charlie-Brown

Kello

Glen Novikovas

That team looks like Vlad picked it :laugh: - couldn't do any worse than last weeks efforts.

But that's your job! No bonuses for you FF!

I don't mind if he goes with Novi up front. I can understand him wanting to keep Driver out wide to go at their young fullback. What I'd say though, is that if he plays Novi upfront, it'd be better if he were alongside Nade than Glen. But maybe not. Maybe we're gonna football the crap outa them

Now now don't be silly...everyone knows hibs are the footballing team (after all they did teach brazil how to play), we're big and physical and play hoofball.

:stuart:

Footballfirst
FF any sign of Elliot?? HW says Kingston, Zali, Suso and Temps out but doesn't mention Calum....
Not today, but he has been doing a lot of running of late. I wouldn't imagine that he is far away from restarting normal training.

Not today, but he has been doing a lot of running of late. I wouldn't imagine that he is far away from restarting normal training.

Good stuff. Thanks for that

The Mighty Thor

Anyone that thinks David Obua won't play on Saturday should phone NHS 24 immediately and describe their symptoms as being severely delusional. If you're lucky you may get sectioned before Sat.

Archived