Young Players

RenfrewHearts

RenfrewHearts

This question is to people who maybe follow the under 19's and reserves or bounce games whatever. Is there anyone we have coming through our youth system who is capable of coming in for our under-performing players. Is there anyone good enough to play up front with Nade? Is there a winger who is quicker and more skilful than Driver who just seems to kick it and run? Is there anyone better than Suso who tries and sometimes his stuff comes off but his final ball or shot or touch isn't good enough? Is there someone who could come in for Obua and maybe could win the Headers he does but actually try for the rest of the game and provide a final ball? Do we have a midfielder who could play instead of Palazuelos who could actually pass the ball forward more often than not, or maybe who could use his weaker foot more often than Palazuelos or even go in for 50/50 challenges which normally a defensive midfielder should? Do we have a midfielder who doesn't go flying into tackles like Stewart to ensure our midfield has some shape when the opposition have the ball? Because if we have then get them *****ing in Csaba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamboinglasgow

since you asked. Here is a run down of a number of players for you.

Templeton (Sco): Could play left or right hand side or in the "hole." A skillfull and tricky young (21 I think) player who has the ability to pass players and a good eye for goal. Quite small and skinny though but scored quite a few goals aged 16 at Stenny and aged 19 at Raith so has played in more physical leagues.

Novikovas (Lith): Like Temps he can play in all three attacking posistions or even up front. Also like Temps a very skillful player with a good eye for goal and great at getting past players and a good crosser. Another small player.

Rocky Visconte (OZ): Left sided winger, good pace and has pin point accuracy in his cross.

Matthew Park (OZ:) left sided player, can play center back, left back or left midfield. Quite an attacking player with good defensive qualities. Good cross.

Paul Mulrooney (IRE:) can play in central midfield or more attacking. Scored a few goals for the U19s last season. Might be a bit too early to go into first team.

Johnny Stewart (Scot:) A central defensive midfielder who is a great passer, good tackler. Was U19s captain last season.

Mark Ridgers (Scot:) A young goalkeeper who has the shot stopping ability and command of box needed. May need to shout more in the game (should watch Jamie Mac more.)

Elias Wagner (Austrian:) Injured for the whole season and contracts ends at the end of it.

David Armstrong (NI:) Been kicking around hearts for a while due to 5 year contract. Can be backup if needed but unlikely to be an SPL player.

Those are just the reserve players, though there are four reserve players away on loan:

Ryan McGowan (on loan to Ayr United) (OZ:) Csaba has been accused of going against all the coaches and refusing to play him. I agree with the coaches, a strong lad who can play central defense or midfield. Good on the ball, can run well with it. Scored a goal on his debut for Ayr. A natural leader.

Johnny Brown (on loan to Livingston) (Sco:) If it wasn't for Craig Thomson I would call for young Johnny to be our RB. A talented full back who can play left or right back. Good defensivly and an attacking player. Represented Scotland U19s last season. Getting good reviews from livi fans though I think he should of gone to a first division club.

Stephen Husband (on loan to Livi) (SCO:) a central midfielder who can play attacking, central. He is a good player whose technique is decent and who if kept right should be a good player. Can be prone to inconsistancy.

Ryan Wallace (on loan to Raith) (SCO:) an attacking forward who is similar to Temps. Very small but with a great leap on him. One kickbacker had a comment about him when he said that "he never scores easy goals" he only scores crackers, as shown by his debut last weekend when he scored a screamer for Raith.

Need to sleep so will let someone else do the U19s

edit: ignore the smilies, made a mistake by putting : too close to a ) at after the nationalty.

jamboinglasgow
Didn't think Templeton was a Lith name :10900:

Good write up,cheers,:2thumbsup:

thanks, if I have time tomorrow I will write up the U19s but there is another poster who can give a better write up about them.

Footballfirst

To save some typing, here is a post I made in answer to a similar question last weekend.

They way I would put it is that I could make a case for every individual in last season's reserve side being ready for the step up, obviously not all together, but certainly 3 or 4 could have made the step up this season in place of our "new signings" with the others introduced to the side as the season progress, either in addition to, or as replacements for the other youngsters. In three to four years, with progressive development, I would be happy with that side as our 1st team.

McDonald - ahead of Ridgers only because of the way he talks his defence through the game. Every bit as good as Balogh or Kello.

Ridgers - Physically looks the part - good shot stopper - lost out big time by Kello being re-signed after Csaba stated that he would be pushing for a 1st team place

C Thomson - already made the step up, but I feel that Csaba is overusing him and not just for set pieces - i.e. he should have been left out of both league cup ties to avoid the fatigue of playing 3 games a week.

Johnny Brown - Already an accomplished full back with the flexibility of playing on either flank. U19 cap. His loan to Livi will stand him in good stead should we lose players in Jan.

Ryan McGowan - Played CB last season and with Aussie U20s but I think he is a better midfielder (I don't think he is physically strong enough when playing at CB). Again his loan to Ayr will help him (albeit in a poor side)

Matty Park - I can't understand why he has not played before now, either at CB or LB. He has good pace, is excellent going forward and is a great threat at set pieces.

Temps - I'm getting a little concerned about his fitness - expectations are high because of his reserve performances last season and the promise shown on his debut v Aberdeen. When and if he is fit again and competing for a place, he won't have had a pre season's training, so realistically I don't think we should be looking for anything from him before March/April.

Johnny Stewart - Again I'm disappointed that he hasn't been given a start before now after Csaba talked him up during pre season. Good footballer and passer of the ball. I think he has been injured of late but he could easily play the Palazuelos role.

Stephen Husband - Certainly has the footballing ability of a creative midfielder, although I think his temprement / attitude can be suspect at times. I saw him play for Livi in a bounce game against Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago. He was head and shoulders above everyone on the park

Arvydas Novikovas - We still haven't had the chance to see what he can do with the limited cameo appearances. If we are blooding youngsters, I'd rather that we see them given a start than play 10mins every other game. Rated by Darren Murray as the best we have in terms of technique. Certainly worthy of a start now.

Rocky Visconte - Hasn't quite fulfilled the potential he showed a year or two back. when he would go past people with ease. Tends to cut inside rather than go on the outside these days. Still has a teriffic left peg though and good delivery from corners.

Ryan Wallace - Pace to burn, bit of an attitude problem at times. Capable of scoring exceptional goals as he did for Raith yesterday. Would be interesting to see what would happen if we went for out and out pace up front.

Gary Glen - Already been there or thereabouts

Scott Robinson - I don't think he's an out an out striker as he hasn't shown the insticts or composure that I would expect, even at U19 level. What he does have is good pace, vision and a work ethic as a forward thinking or wide midfielder. Certainly a "bench" prospect.

Gordon Smith - Has been given a couple of limited opportunities to date, but I don't think he is quite ready as yet. He has improved since the start of the season but maybe needs another year's apprenticeship.

Of the other current U19s I don't think that we have anyone who is ready for a step up at the moment, although there is some promise in Balatoni, D McGowan, D Thomson and Woods . It may be that we have to skip an age group to the U17s before we see some youngsters with a bigger chance of making it (Walker, D Smith, Mullen, Holt, Kane), but they are probably 3 years away.

RenfrewHearts

That's brilliant J-I-G and FF let's hope Csaba bloods a few of these boys because it's clear to me at the moment things just aren't working. Something needs to change!!

Poor buggars will probably rot in the u19 knowing Csaba.

What's the deal with Danny Thomson? I thought he was one of the top boys before his injury?

Footballfirst
Poor buggars will probably rot in the u19 knowing Csaba.

What's the deal with Danny Thomson? I thought he was one of the top boys before his injury?

He is still a key player for the U19s. He works hard, gets around the park and when he plays well them team plays well.

In comparison to last season's U19s I don't think he has proved himself, as yet, to be as good as Stephen Husband or Johnny Stewart in centre midfield. The season still has a long way to go so he still has time to develop.

I don't know what his contract situation is, but I suspect that he needs to be at his very best if he is to get a "senior" contract for next season. Most of the U19s are in the same situation, so they need to be busting a gut if they want kept on. I am only aware of Craig Thomson, Scott Robinson and John Woods of the U19s having contracts beyond the end of the season, although there may be a couple more.

Also can't wait for the day where we produce and instinctive, 6 yard box striker. Strikers don't seem to be coming through across the country though.

He is still a key player for the U19s. He works hard, gets around the park and when he plays well them team plays well.

In comparison to last season's U19s I don't think he has proved himself, as yet, to be as good as Stephen Husband or Johnny Stewart in centre midfield. The season still has a long way to go so he still has time to develop.

I don't know what his contract situation is, but I suspect that he needs to be at his very best if he is to get a "senior" contract for next season. Most of the U19s are in the same situation, so they need to be busting a gut if they want kept on. I am only aware of Craig Thomson, Scott Robinson and John Woods of the U19s having contracts beyond the end of the season, although there may be a couple more.

Didn't know that.

Footballfirst
Didn't know that.

To the best of my knowledge, youths who join the groundstaff at 16 or older are normally given contracts up to age 19. e.g. Scott Robinson is still eligible for the U19s next season and is thus contracted to Jun 2011. If they show significant early promise then they will be given longer contracts at age 17/18, e.g. Craig Thomson.

These extended contracts were given out quite freely before this season, but I'd expect fewer to be available at the end of this season.

You can get contract details, where they are known, here.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/verein/12578/heart-of-midlothian-fc-u19/uebersicht/startseite.html

Archived