Well done Falkirk

JWL

Governor Tarkin
A lot of these discussions have the futile tone of "we're like this, they're like that". The fact is that most teams' support is made up of a decent majority and a delinquent rump. It's just more fun to pretend otherwise, and get into the kind of tribal posturings that are normal, if unwelcome, in adolescence and a bit weird in grown men (women generally are above any of this).

Too sensible a post IMO.

A lot of these discussions have the futile tone of "we're like this, they're like that". The fact is that most teams' support is made up of a decent majority and a delinquent rump. It's just more fun to pretend otherwise, and get into the kind of tribal posturings that are normal, if unwelcome, in adolescence and a bit weird in grown men (women generally are above any of this).

Agreed - to some degree. But I have to point out that our President and our Government commemorate the sacrifices made by the Irish fallen in the Great War. If Celtic are so proud of their Irish identity, maybe they should get with the times and do likewise.

Agreed - to some degree. But I have to point out that our President and our Government commemorate the sacrifices made by the Irish fallen in the Great War. If Celtic are so proud of their Irish identity, maybe they should get with the times and do likewise.

Exactly I believe that there is now a "garden of remembrance" dedicated to the Irish fallen of WW1 in Dublin.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Exactly I believe that there is now a "garden of remembrance" dedicated to the Irish fallen of WW1 in Dublin.

As there is at the Somme as well.

The Irish National War Memorial Gardens, between Kilmainham and Inchicore. The Gardens have been in existence since 1939, but fell into disrepair until they were taken over by the National Heritage Service and restored. The restored Gardens were officially opened on the 90th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme.

The Island of Ireland Peace Park at Messines in Flanders was unveiled in 1998 by President Mary McAleese, HM Queen Elizabeth II and King Albert II. It commemorates all of the soldiers of the island of Ireland who died, were wounded or were missing in action in the Great War. The location was chosen because of its proximity to the site of the battle for Messines Ridge, when the 16th Irish and 36th Ulster Divisions fought side by side - religion and politics left a long way behind the lines - against a common enemy.

Game is live on Sky on Sunday, so quick email campaign to SSN pointing out that Falkirik want a minutes silence but Celtic asked for applause and can a Sky journo ask Celtic why? I'm sure Jim White will be only too happy to help.

Same with whoever still listens to the Real Weedgio phone in. Will Ewan have the bottle to ask the question at the pre-match press conference?

Daydream Believer
The only people around me who turned their backs were trying to see which small-minded idiots were booing.

I don't really mind if they turn their backs. I think it's an embarrasment that they would do it but it doesn't spoil it for anyone else. Just as long as they keep their mouths shut.

Game is live on Sky on Sunday, so quick email campaign to SSN pointing out that Falkirik want a minutes silence but Celtic asked for applause and can a Sky journo ask Celtic why? I'm sure Jim White will be only too happy to help.

Same with whoever still listens to the Real Weedgio phone in. Will Ewan have the bottle to ask the question at the pre-match press conference?

As hinted at earlier, it's guaranteed the SKY sound will be turned right down just in case.

I'm pretty sure they did so at Kilmarnock, when Rangers came calling at the height of the Eufa cup sectarian singing storm !

They must have had one mike that wasn't muted,over by the main stand, and it sounded like a reserve game - coincidence ? NAH

The pocket rocket
Well done to them:2thumbsup:

i suppose some of the mhanks will try to spoil it as usual though!

Thats because that part of there support is ****

I think the tinkers won't be able to control themselves. Let's hope the noise isn't doctored to hide any filthy chants. Show them for what they are; at least a very sizeable number.

Well done Falkirk.

I think the tinkers won't be able to control themselves. Let's hope the noise isn't doctored to hide any filthy chants. Show them for what they are; at least a very sizeable number.

Well done Falkirk.

Kind of ironic to use the "tinker" word in the context of this thread.

As I remember, the gypsies were among the first on the Nazis' list. That puts us on the gypsies' side, I'd reckon.

Or are we not really opposed to this racism stuff our predecessors once fought?

Geoff Kilpatrick

As I remember, the gypsies were among the first on the Nazis' list. That puts us on the gypsies' side, I'd reckon.

Tinkers and gypsies are not the same, and especially not in this context.

However, that is splitting hairs. As I said above, some people are desperate to see Septic disrespect the minute's silence. If they actually stay quiet, they will be gutted.

As has been pointed there is a considerable difference between Romanian gypsies and the "bhoys" and their phoney irishness. Lost on you obviously.

In any event don't tell me how to express myself on an event commemorating amongst many thousands of others, two members of my family. I don't need any lessons on fighting racism from you, friend.

Tinkers and gypsies are not the same, and especially not in this context.

However, that is splitting hairs. As I said above, some people are desperate to see Septic disrespect the minute's silence. If they actually stay quiet, they will be gutted.

Whats the chances of a thread praising the Celtic fans if they do stay quiet.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Whats the chances of a thread praising the Celtic fans if they do stay quiet.

Probably none, although I'm sure the press will highlight it.

At the same time, there shouldn't need to be one.

Archived