Hip Hop - Old or New?

Moriarty

Although friends the same age as me listen to all this new stuff I would easily choose N.W.A over Jay-Z Hip-Hops been dead since the earely 21st century IMO.

chester copperpot
Although friends the same age as me listen to all this new stuff I would easily choose N.W.A over Jay-Z Hip-Hops been dead since the earely 21st century IMO.

Spot on my younger, yet musically tasteful friend.

Tough one.

Overall I quite like old, but taking some new stuff. Such as The Black Album etc.

Really like OG stuff myself, but I can appreciate new sound too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6TUhx2wX0M

Both great, and two songs that define the time they were released.

If it had to be one over the other, looking at the quality of albums, such as N.W.A's selftitled classic, The Chronic (my fav. album of all time) and Doggystyle with many more I could mention. I would have to say old, despite most of the stuff was written before I was walking. :laugh:

Commander Harris

the black album was tops.

there's still some great lyricists about but the beats are a bit dull these days.

Neither for me :thumbsdown:

Listen to the work of NWA, and then The Chronic. If you like them enough, work your way through the rest of the NWA members solo work. The likes of Ice Cube and Easy-E produced some fine songs that defined a generation, can you not find something you like?

Commander Harris

on the topic of the black album, anyone heard the mashup "grey album" - Jay-Z's black album mixed with beatles samples from the white album - tis pretty good stuff.

Listen to the work of NWA, and then The Chronic. If you like them enough, work your way through the rest of the NWA members solo work. The likes of Ice Cube and Easy-E produced some fine songs that defined a generation, can you not find something you like?

I will have a listen on spotify and see how I get on :2thumbsup:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

The old hip hop stuff is great. The NWA, Dre etc were top.

The Chronic is my favourite of all old Hip-Hop albums. I also loved Doggystyle with "Gin and Juice" being one of my favourite tracks.

I don't mind Jay Z to be honest. Empire State of Mind is a cracking tune, Alicia Keys sounds great on it.

chester copperpot
The old hip hop stuff is great. The NWA, Dre etc were top.

The Chronic is my favourite of all old Hip-Hop albums. I also loved Doggystyle with "Gin and Juice" being one of my favourite tracks.

I don't mind Jay Z to be honest. Empire State of Mind is a cracking tune, Alicia Keys sounds great on it.

You got teeth in ya mouth, so my dick's gotta fit.

With my nut's on ya tonsils.

Brilliant.

You got teeth in ya mouth, so my dick's gotta fit.

With my nut's on ya tonsils.

Brilliant.

You tryin' to check my homie, ya best check yo self cuz when you diss Dre, ya diss yourself mutha ****a.

Also, its gap teeth in ya mouth. :)

Are you all deaf? Who's going to bite?

I take it upon myself to highlight all your posts to check out for that. :stuart:

As long as it doesnt talk about 'Bitches and hoes' then i'll have a listen. Quite like Jay-Z.

No joy, thats what 90s hip-hop is all about, the OG stuff. ****in hoes, rollin in '64s. None of that pimp stick ****e and lambos that you get now.

If you don't like it, I suggest some Michael Buble, horlicks and an early night. :2thumbsup:

HMFCjamieHMFC

Eazy-E was ghost written mostly by Ice Cube until they fell out.

NWA, Grandmaster Flash, The Sugarhill Gang, De La Soul, Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, Digital Underground...ALL classics.

Why don't they make Hip Hop like that anymore? It's just bobbins now.

You couldn't have chosen much worse examples of modern hip-hop to be honest.

Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, MF DOOM, P.O.S, Sage Francis, Wale, Elzhi, Why?, Raekwon, Madlib all doing worthwhile modern material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZX71tbr3w&feature=related'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZX71tbr3w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZX71tbr3w&feature=related

There is some great old, middle and new stuff.

The new Cage LP is currently entertaining me. Probably about my favourite MC of the moment.

NWA, Grandmaster Flash, The Sugarhill Gang, De La Soul, Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, Digital Underground...ALL classics.

This almost sums up my feelings on the whole thing. I would also venture - early Cypress Hill:2thumbsup: and Wu Tang Clan:2thumbsup: Eric B and Rakim, :2thumbsup: Gangstarr and Public Enemy. Also Mama said knock you out by LL Cool J is forking awesome

Anyone else heard the Blackstarr album? One of the best hip hop albums I've heard.

Also love this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwonG3iGaI

this_is_my_story

Classic stuff. :2thumbsup:

I like a lot of the older Dre & Snoop stuff. Granted, the lyrics aren't exactly profound, but the rhymes and delivery of rappers like Snoop & Biggie are different class, and the tunes have a wee bit funk about them. A lot of the G-Funk stuff is good, 'Regulate' being a favourite of mine.

Can't be bothered with the stuff that's too dark, I prefer the stuff with at least a little melody about it.

'Regulate' being a favourite of mine.

Top tune! Warren G doing his version of Prince Igor is also amazing! Check that out if you haven't heard it, bit of opera thrown into the mix!

NWA were superb although it wasn't Cube or Easy that produced their tunes, it was Dre and Yella. They also have a lesser known electro breakdance LP that was ****ing awesome as well.

It's this http://www.discogs.com/Various-NWA-And-The-Posse/release/167481

and it inculdes the single Panic Zone that's one of the my favourite records of that period.

NWA were superb although it wasn't Cube or Easy that produced their tunes, it was Dre and Yella. They also have a lesser known electro breakdance LP that was ****ing awesome as well.

It's this http://www.discogs.com/Various-NWA-And-The-Posse/release/167481

and it inculdes the single Panic Zone that's one of the my favourite records of that period.

Yep I know, I mentioned them because I already stated Dre's The Chronic and the fact that Cube and Easy were part of the same scene. To say that their individual work was as good as NWA, regardless of who wrote it.

There is still a lot of great stuff out there.

Those you have mentioned are all nearly old-skool apart from J5 who are of the mid-skool 1990's era. Was pretty gutted when they split.

If you look a wee bit beyond the commercial stuff there's still some outstanding music out there.

Cannibal Ox, Cage, Mr Lif, Madlib, MF Doom, Quasimoto, MF Grimm, El-P, Guilty Simpson, Percy P, Black Milk, Kool Keith and plenty of others are still putting out interesting stuff.

Yep I know, I mentioned them because I already stated Dre's The Chronic and the fact that Cube and Easy were part of the same scene. To say that their individual work was as good as NWA, regardless of who wrote it.

I think the Chronic was the last decent record that Dre made. It was pretty good but I prefer the old drum machine breaks from the dopeman / straight outta compton era. Either of those tunes still sounds great in a club.

this_is_my_story
Top tune! Warren G doing his version of Prince Igor is also amazing! Check that out if you haven't heard it, bit of opera thrown into the mix!

Just YouTubed that, I recognised it but hadn't known that it was Mister G. Good tune. Anyone like Camp Lo? Got an album of theirs recently, some pretty good stuff.

Also, anyone with even a pasisng interest in hiphop should go and buy the first wave of Wu solo LPs. Each and every one of them is immense.

ODB - 36 chambers

Raekwon - Cuban Linx

GZA - Liquid Swords

Method Man - Tical

Ghostface - Iron Man

Those 5 LPs are all serious must haves, especially the first 3 which are some of my most played records of any genre. The 90's mid-skool or golden era of hip-hop was probably my favourite time of that sort of music. Wu-tang 1st LP and the solo releases, Cypress Hill, Naughty by Nature, Brand Nubian, Funkdoobiest, the RZA/Muggs production style, J-Dilla and the Detroit sound, the beginning of the Anticon and Def-Jux experimental styles and much more great stuff all dropping at once.

I think the Chronic was the last decent record that Dre made. It was pretty good but I prefer the old drum machine breaks from the dopeman / straight outta compton era. Either of those tunes still sounds great in a club.

Agree with the point in general. Dre still had big success mainly down to his collaborative work. Cali love springs to mind. And 2001, which never had the impact The Chronic did. But that was a doorway to the rest of his music for myself who was too young to listen to any of his best work.

Thank christ somebody else posted old hip hop, which was of course the correct answer. To suggest that Boom Shake The Room and Jurassic 5 are "old" hip hop makes me feel very old.

I would like to add some old and new...

Old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZLq6R-ZtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZElWBsoyvUo&feature=fvst

New

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZOJUI-11s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foEU2WHdOzA

Thank christ somebody else posted old hip hop, which was of course the correct answer. To suggest that Boom Shake The Room and Jurassic 5 are "old" hip hop makes me feel very old.

i said that jurassic 5 were old school.

Agree with the point in general. Dre still had big success mainly down to his collaborative work. Cali love springs to mind. And 2001, which never had the impact The Chronic did. But that was a doorway to the rest of his music for myself who was too young to listen to any of his best work.

I kind of lost interest after the Chronic. He went down the poppier, west coast sounding stuff and lost the rawness and attitude which he had. The Chronic was quite accomplished but still had some heart. I didn't really like California Love or 2001. Some of his early Eminem beats were decent (when Eminem was good during his Slim Shady LP time) but that turned into lame pop music as well.

i said that jurassic 5 were old school.

Jurassic 5 were not old-skool mate, they were mostly popular during the mid / late 1990's.

They were awesome though.

this_is_my_story

Tremendous track.

I know it's pretty cheesy but I've been getting into some crunk at the moment. The deep south stye of slowing up the beats and using double fast high hats can sound really cool. Ludacris for example is putting out some great stuff. I absolutely love the deep south accent that some of those MCs have as well.

This tune is seriously cheesy but I think the girl's voice is quite sexy with the southern drawl. Amazing, steady crunk beat as well. Simple production but it's so effective.

Rasheeda - Juicy like a Peach

Jurassic 5 were not old-skool mate, they were mostly popular during the mid / late 1990's.

They were awesome though.

I always understood it to be a style rather than being from a specific time. Kinda like The Darkness being 'classic rock' despite never having opened for Thin Lizzy back in the day.

Gangsta rap = ****e for the most part. A lot of people seem far too focused on that area and think it's the only area of rap / hip-hop that there is.

I've posted fairly regularly when this sort of thread pops up and I'm glad it has again. It's good to see guys like Sage Francis getting a mention as he is rather good, especially the Legion of Doom remix called "Hands Down Gandhi:

While this is good I also really like groups like CYNE, especially when they collaborate with the likes of Jun Seba (Nujabes).

CYNE

Arrow of God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2ISUThbcQ

Nujabes

Winter Lane

Counting Stars

CYNE + Nujabes

Feather - Feat. Cise Starr of CYNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52rG68kly0

I always understood it to be a style rather than being from a specific time. Kinda like The Darkness being 'classic rock' despite never having opened for Thin Lizzy back in the day.

The term relates more to a time period thing but I see what you mean re their style. Old-skool usually refers to 1980's in hiphop terms.

They do have an old-skool sort of ethos about them where skills, style and creativity are what it's all about. Not too many mentions of ho's or guns or any of that sort of nonsense. Just great rhymes, scratches and beats.

Archived