Victory Shield - Scotland U16 v Wales U16

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Four Hearts players in the Scotland squad for tonight's game. I don't know how many will start though. I see that Islam Feruz has been added to the squad. It will be interesting to see if he is more effective in the younger age group.

Victory Shield Squad Announced

International Youth Team Coach Ross Mathie has selected the following 19 players for his squad to face Wales in Scotland's second match of this year's Victory Shield tournament:

Goalkeepers

Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)

James Wightman (Celtic)

Defenders

Scott Campbell (Heart of Midlothian)

Ryan Carnwath (Heart of Midlothian)

Joseph Chalmers (Celtic)

Marcus Fraser (Celtic)

Shane Rook (Celtic)

Mohammed Yaqub (Celtic)

Midfielders

Jack Grimmer (Aberdeen)

John Heron (Celtic)

Lewis MacLeod (Rangers)

Liam Polworth (Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

George Scott (Rangers)

Craig Slater (St Mirren)

Forwards

Dale Carrick (Heart of Midlothian)

Lee Cochrane (Rangers)

Islam Feruz (Celtic)

Matthew Kennedy (Kilmarnock)

Thomas Reilly (St Mirren)

The match takes place at Bellvue Stadium in Rhyll on Thursday 29 October. Kick-off is 7.40pm and the match is live on Sky Sports.

Footballfirst
Is the conveyor belt at Fester Road broken then?

I don't think it has ever worked at the younger age groups. They had no-one in the recent U17 squad eather.

I've jsut read the report of Sunday's U17s game on the SFA site. Here's how they described the Scotland goals and the involvement of Hearts' Fraser Mullen and Jamie Walker.

Full back
Fraser Mullen
was involved in some terrific overlapping play down the right side. He whipped in a high ball which McGregor rose perfectly to meet. His header crashed dramatically off the underside of the crossbar, down onto the goal line and back up into the roof of the net.

Midway through the first half Scotland doubled their advantage through
Jamie Walker
. The forward latched onto a slipped ball from Dylan McGeough on the left flank, bullied his way past two Portugese defenders to hit the byeline where he squared up to his next opponent, nicked by him on the outside and from an acute angle fired his shot high into the net.

I think they have used a bit of poetic licence in describing Jamie as having "bullied" his was past defenders. He couldn't bully his way out a paper bag. He actually did the defenders by pace and skill.

Four Hearts players in the Scotland squad for tonight's game. I don't know how many will start though. I see that Islam Feruz has been added to the squad. It will be interesting to see if he is more effective in the younger age group.

Victory Shield Squad Announced

International Youth Team Coach Ross Mathie has selected the following 19 players for his squad to face Wales in Scotland's second match of this year's Victory Shield tournament:

Goalkeepers

Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)

James Wightman (Celtic)

Defenders

Scott Campbell (Heart of Midlothian)

Ryan Carnwath (Heart of Midlothian)

Joseph Chalmers (Celtic)

Marcus Fraser (Celtic)

Shane Rook (Celtic)

Mohammed Yaqub (Celtic)

Midfielders

Jack Grimmer (Aberdeen)

John Heron (Celtic)

Lewis MacLeod (Rangers)

Liam Polworth (Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

George Scott (Rangers)

Craig Slater (St Mirren)

Forwards

Dale Carrick (Heart of Midlothian)

Lee Cochrane (Rangers)

Islam Feruz (Celtic)

Matthew Kennedy (Kilmarnock)

Thomas Reilly (St Mirren)

The match takes place at Bellvue Stadium in Rhyll on Thursday 29 October. Kick-off is 7.40pm and the match is live on Sky Sports.

Is the boy Mohammed Yaqub in a similar position to Feruz, do you know? He could, ofcourse, just be Scottish of Arabic parentage or whatever

I think the new rule is great

Good luck to all the boys, especially the jambos

Good luck to all the lads tonight, will watch the game on the box.

I think we have lots of talented youngsters at the club at the moment, lets hope they can fulfil they're potential. Can't wait to see young Jamie Walker wear the maroon, his dad would be the proudest man on the planet.

Footballfirst
Is the boy Mohammed Yaqub in a similar position to Feruz, do you know? He could, ofcourse, just be Scottish of Arabic parentage or whatever

His parents are from Iran, but I don't know where he was born.

Charlie-Brown

No He is a Scots Asian - glaswegian I think.

Footballfirst
Is Fraser Mullen still eligible for that age group?
Afraid not. He is still only 15 at the moment but will be 16 next month. The cut off date is that you have to be U16 on 1st Jan 2010.

The Old Tolbooth

The lad Feruz looks a really good prospect, I hope he goes down South to a big team and furthers his career rather than waste away in the Scottish leagues.

jamboinglasgow
No He is a Scots Asian - glaswegian I think.

That would be most likely. But he must be Scots born as he was in the U16 selection before the rule change.

That would be most likely. But he must be Scots born as he was in the U16 selection before the rule change.

Doesnt have to be scottish, if its the victory shield its Schoolboys so all determined where you went to school, Hence driver player for scotland and giggs for englandshire

Footballfirst
Doesnt have to be scottish, if its the victory shield its Schoolboys so all determined where you went to school, Hence driver player for scotland and giggs for englandshire
I don't think that is a "schoolboys" match any more. It is the Scotland U16 Squad under the auspices of the SFA.

Randle P McMurphy

Get the boy Feruz away from septic they will just ruin him. Great performance from the wee man. Also thought Grimmer from Aberdeen looked good and Campbell from the JTs looks like he might be the next in our production line of quality central defenders.

No he is a defender, Feruz is a striker....d'oh :10900:

jamboinglasgow
Get the boy Feruz away from septic they will just ruin him. Great performance from the wee man. Also thought Grimmer from Aberdeen looked good and Campbell from the JTs looks like he might be the next in our production line of quality central defenders.

he will have to wait, we have a few in line.

Reserve -> Ryan McGowan (though agree with others that he would be better playing mikeys posistion.)

U19 -> Dylan McGowan, Conrad Balatoni, Jamie McCormack, Marius Zukovas (still to see him play though)

then it will be Scott Campbell and the other central defenders.

The last of the Victory Shield games v England is at Tynecastle on 27th November.

The Scotland v England game is Thursday 26th November at Tynecastle

not 27th

You are probably correct, although I took the date from the SFA site

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international_fixtures.cfm?page=451

(they probably have it wrong anyway as they say the Victory Shield is U15s)

Thanks

FF

The SFA site also quotes its a 07.40 ko as well!!!

Typical of the SFA to have no idea of whats actually going on

Archived