The law regarding tinted glass for cars

billco98

My daughter bought a second hand Merc coupe about 3 years ago which has several upgrades including tinted glass.

Late on Saturday night she was returning home with her fiance from a night out with friends in Glasgow. She was driving west-bound on the M8 to their house in Inverclyde when they became aware of a police car which was travelling in the outside lane alongside them. The officers were staring into her car. Eventually when they entered Port Glasgow the blue light started flashing and she was pulled over. The officers checked the glass using a device and took a note of the readings which they did not reveal to her. They took her back to their car and quized her about the glass before informing her that it didn't meet the requirements of the law. They gave her a ?30 on-the-spot fine and told her that she could also have received penalty points on her license. She was told to get the glass replaced without delay.

Has anybody had experience of this or could enlighten me as to the basis of this action? It seems a bit steep to me to say the least, especially the fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not too sure but speak to a lawyer. If they didn't reveal the reading's to her they could be making it up. Half an hour with a lawyer is free.

Other than that you could pay the ?30 fine and replace the glass.

Nucky Thompson

The law states that any tint must allow at least 70% of the light to pass through them.

If you can't see clearly through your windows then you might not be able to see that cyclist, pedestrian etc. especially at night.

Depending on the result of the test you can be find up to ?2000.

My front windows are illegally tinted but i've never heard of anybody getting fined. Worst case scenario is you get pulled over and told to remove it but the police never bat an eyelid around here. I think she's just been unlucky.

legally you need to let 75% of light through the front windows, the backs and rear window can be as dark as you like.

Was it the driver/passenger windows as well or just the rear?

I got the original message from my missus but have now spoken to my daughter to get the full picture.

It was the driver and passenger windows only. They took the readings and said they didn't comply.

I thought at first the whole window had to be replaced but seemingly it's just a case of the film being removed which is not quite so bad.

I was surprised that the issue was not picked up at the MOT test.

I think the fine was rediculous but there you go. I think if she had complained they would have followed through with the penalty points.

Meanwhile theire was probably the usual mayhem on the streets of Greenock and Port Glasgow on Saturday night but the cops took the usual easy option.

my dad's just been picked up for it as well & given a fine, so it does happen. if you're in doubt get it checked

Looks like the old Bill up here have just cottoned on to a nice little earner !

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/news/article1867909.ece

The law

— The new paragraph for the Highway Code going through Parliament says:

“Window tints. You MUST NOT use a vehicle with excessively dark tinting applied to the windscreen, or to the glass in any front window to either side of the driver. Window tinting applied during manufacture complies with the Visual Light Transmittance (VLT) standards. There are no VLT limits for rear windscreens or rear passenger windows.”

To be honest I had tinted glass all round in a previous car. Maybe it was wrongly applied to mine but whatever - it was p"sh when driving at night

To be honest I had tinted glass all round in a previous car. Maybe it was wrongly applied to mine but whatever - it was p"sh when driving at night

Limo tint's murder at night, you can't see a thing out the back. My sides are ok though, even though they are illegal the difference between them and the windscreen which has no tint is barely noticeable, probably not even as darkened as if you were wearing a pair of shades.

Anyways, sounds like there's some sort of crackdown so i'll be avoiding the major roads for a while! :D

Limo tint's murder at night, you can't see a thing out the back. My sides are ok though, even though they are illegal the difference between them and the windscreen which has no tint is barely noticeable, probably not even as darkened as if you were wearing a pair of shades.

Anyways, sounds like there's some sort of crackdown so i'll be avoiding the major roads for a while! :D

Better avoiding the pedestrians but that could be tricky with illegal tints. :cool_shades:

Why would you want to have tinted driver and passenger windows anyway?

It looks good, it stops the car getting too hot and it stops folk nebbing inside the car.

Miller Jambo 60
Why would you want to have tinted driver and passenger windows anyway?

Jesus, so maybe you could pump the passenger without someone seeing you.

I dont know.

Doug.

It looks good, it stops the car getting too hot and it stops folk nebbing inside the car.

Are you for real? :qqb013:

Jesus, so maybe you could pump the passenger without someone seeing you.

I dont know.

Doug.

Thats why you get the back windows tinted!!! :10900:

Brian Whittaker's Tache

My mate refers to the rear windows tinted as "mother in law glass"

My mate refers to the rear windows tinted as "mother in law glass"

How come does he pump his mother-in-law in the back of his motor? :qqb004:

Archived